Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shittttt, I know I can get the CSR with no issue, but I'm holding off until late November to buy a bunch of dumb car poo poo and the prospect of buying a plane ticket in December to get the $300 travel credit for 2016 seems like it's wasting the benefit.

e: lmao insta approved

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any good signup bonuses for the Platinum right now? I'm traveling a ton on Delta for the rest of the year.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Small White Dragon posted:

Probably a MasterCard of some sort. Visa's exchange rates are ~1% higher than market, and Amex/Discover are not as universally accepted as Visa/MC.

This is something that comes up often but I don't believe the actual difference is that drastic. Here's a blogger who did some a lot of testing while traveling. http://hungryforpoints.boardingarea.com/2016/06/foreign-exchange-rates-visa-vs-mastercard/ The main takeaway,

quote:

From my experience with ~150 transactions across four foreign currencies, no payment network consistently provided better exchange rates than others. MasterCard was directionally more favorable than VISA most of the time, but the difference was far lower than the rumored 1%. While I wouldn’t doubt anyone who have witnessed worse from time to time, the spread in my experience never exceeded 0.5% on any day, and averaged to about 0.1%.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any good signup bonuses for the Platinum right now? I'm traveling a ton on Delta for the rest of the year.

No :( unless you receive a targeted deal

I'm also doing a lot of traveling in the near future and bit the bullet for the Amex business platinum even with the subpar 40k with $5k spend over 3 months bonus. I missed out on the last 100k bonus deal earlier this year and couldn't wait any longer to apply.

I did learn one neat thing though: If you call in to the Amex application line and ask them if you have any targeted deals you might receive a better one-time deal outside of the website. Unfortunately my targeted deal was 50k points with $10k spend over 5 months -- not even that great a deal compared to the website. I declined.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

We managed to get tickets to Hamilton thanks to a Amex platinum pre-sale, so that's a nice perk. Still going to cancel it once the fee rolls around again though.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I applied for a Freedom Unlimited the same night as my Sapphire Reserve and just got approved... with a $500 limit :laffo:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm just starting out with really taking advantage of cc rewards offers, and just got approved for the Capital One Quicksilver with a $10000 limit. I figured it looked like an easy enough reward to get, $100 after spending $500 in the first 3 months, and 1.5% back on everything isn't that bad either.

How do you guys keep track of which cards to use on what purchase? This is my fifth open card, and having just four before, it was pretty easy to remember what cards were best for whatever category, but if I'm going to start getting a lot more cards, I want to have a way to maximize my rewards.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I'm just starting out with really taking advantage of cc rewards offers, and just got approved for the Capital One Quicksilver with a $10000 limit. I figured it looked like an easy enough reward to get, $100 after spending $500 in the first 3 months, and 1.5% back on everything isn't that bad either.

How do you guys keep track of which cards to use on what purchase? This is my fifth open card, and having just four before, it was pretty easy to remember what cards were best for whatever category, but if I'm going to start getting a lot more cards, I want to have a way to maximize my rewards.
I have a spreadsheet. I don't sweat it too much.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I try to keep gas and restaurant cards on me, and register specific cards for website use like Amazon then stash them away.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah the obvious follow up is where does one hide a stack of high limit plastic credit cards and holy gently caress would some junkie feel like god was speaking directly to them and granting all their wishes if they stumbled upon it during a robbery. Christ, you'd never get sober after that sort of spiritual quagmire.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
1.) Card I'm working on minimum spend (which isn't that often anymore unfortunately)
2.) Travel card with 2x categories (CSP, Amex PRG, etc)
3.) Some quarterly card I'll get use out of (like Freedom with 5x restaurants right now), which is rare
4.) Citi Doublecash or SPG for all else
5.) Debit card

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Figured I'd post this here, but I have 100k Delta skymiles, 80k Chase points, and 100k MR points. If I'm not picky on where I go, how do I figure out what the best use for the points is? Ideally it'd be great to be able to buy two RT tickets.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Personally for MR and Chase, it depends on whether you want a lot of use (Avios Points) or if you're just looking to blow them out on a first class ticket. Some people like the former, other people like the latter.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shadowhand00 posted:

Personally for MR and Chase, it depends on whether you want a lot of use (Avios Points) or if you're just looking to blow them out on a first class ticket. Some people like the former, other people like the latter.

Just looking to blow them out.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

Just looking to blow them out.

My first thought is doing Skyteam business RT, using Delta Skymiles on one leg (would need to transfer some in from Amex) and FlyingBlue on the other leg (combination of transfers from Amex and Chase). I'll admit though I'm not super familiar with Skyteam availability patterns or fuel surcharges.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would pick 5 places that you want to go and then start looking at the airlines that you have points on or can transfer to. You need to somehow narrow down your options to start with and then expand if you can't find anything as there are just to many options otherwise. For instance the 80k UR transferred to United could get you two economy RT to the Caribbean, Central or South America. You could transfer MR to Delta and have 200k there or MR and UR both transfer to BA, Singapore Airlines, and Virgin Atlantic. You can also transfer UR to Hyatt for hotels which is pretty decent from a points per cents perspective.

pig slut lisa: I don't think UR transfer to AF, I thought the only Skyteam partner was Korean Air.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

asur posted:

pig slut lisa: I don't think UR transfer to AF, I thought the only Skyteam partner was Korean Air.

It's new since May: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/05/22/chase-points-air-france-flyingblue/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How valueable are UR points for cruises? I've got 50k points from the CSP card and adding 100k from the CSR doesn't seem too outlandish. 150k points has to be pretty decent.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The youtube videos I've watched suggest that the CSR is the same metal as the CSP so no incentive to upgrade there but that 100k sign up bonus is too good to pass up. Won't be applying until the end of the year though so crossing my fingers that they don't pull the bonus before then.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My fiancée and I each signed up for the CSR online and were denied because we have too many cards opened in the last two years. In that time I've only opened two cards and she's opened three, but we're authorized users on each other's cards. We also added each other as authorized users on old cards recently. Could that have put us over the 5/24 limit?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Flat Daddy posted:

My fiancée and I each signed up for the CSR online and were denied because we have too many cards opened in the last two years. In that time I've only opened two cards and she's opened three, but we're authorized users on each other's cards. We also added each other as authorized users on old cards recently. Could that have put us over the 5/24 limit?

Yes, AUs will screw you with Chase.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

The AUs count initially for the 5/24 limit but I read some success stories on Reddit of people calling the Chase recon line, saying AUs shouldn't count for 5/24, and getting approved. Definitely worth a shot to call the recon line.

Check the section on AUs:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/#Authorized_Users_Reconsideration

mtr fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 31, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just went to a branch to see if I was somehow prequalified for the CSR. No luck. Oh well.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Called reconsideration, they said they could exclude my authorized user accounts...

...and was denied because when you take away my AU's I have too little accounts opened for too short of time. Which is why we added each other as AU for everything... Oh well. Time to look for some other bonus to do next. At least we got our CSP bonuses earlier this year.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, a while back I asked about a card I should get, but I never did it due to outside pressure.

Would it be safe for me to take out a Discover secured credit card when I earn roughly $770 a month, am credit invisible, and spend $331 on rent and bills? Also, are there better options available?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, a while back I asked about a card I should get, but I never did it due to outside pressure.

Would it be safe for me to take out a Discover secured credit card when I earn roughly $770 a month, am credit invisible, and spend $331 on rent and bills? Also, are there better options available?

Are you planning on doing this to earn points back or to build credit?

Generally, you'd want to be sure you are not spending over your means before going that route.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are you planning on doing this to earn points back or to build credit?

Generally, you'd want to be sure you are not spending over your means before going that route.

I want to build credit, as I don't have any credit right now.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mikedawson posted:

I want to build credit, as I don't have any credit right now.

Discover secured is great for that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

pig slut lisa posted:

Discover secured is great for that.

It definitely is. Get it, put your cellphone or netflix bill on the card and set it to autopay in full every month. After about a year Discover should convert it to a standard credit card and give you back your deposit.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm possibly thinking about buying a house... not super soon but you never know when things might get rolling. So... should I NOT apply for a Sapphire Reserve? What kind of effect might that have on getting a mortgage approval? My credit score is currently 790, with no loans or debts of any kind.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Elysium posted:

I'm possibly thinking about buying a house... not super soon but you never know when things might get rolling. So... should I NOT apply for a Sapphire Reserve? What kind of effect might that have on getting a mortgage approval? My credit score is currently 790, with no loans or debts of any kind.

It probably mainly depends on your credit report and underwriters but as a data point, I applied for a new card about 3 months before starting my mortgage application and I don't think it was an issue. I think at some point they sent me a list of my recent hard pulls and asked me to explain them if they created any new debt and I just said "This was for an Amex card, it's paid off every month".

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
The bigger consequence is probably if you are concerned that the short term change in rating will affect the long term loan interest rate, right?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I just got an AMEX delta sky miles card offer in the mail today. Spend $1000 dollars in the first 3 months and get 50,000 bonus miles, with no annual fee the first year. I just applied for another cc earlier this week and got approved, and didn't want to get another card so soon, but I feel like this offer is too good to pass up. Most of the other offers were usually spend $4000 in 3 months (which I'm not sure I'd be able to actually do) and get less miles.

Would I be able to still get this offer, even though I have a different AMEX card? I thought I would, but after reading something somewhere about how delta's skymiles works, I'm not as certain. I'm not reading anything in the fine print about that.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 3, 2016

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So apparently the CSR was been far more successful than Chase expected. They ran out of the heavier cards.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I just got an AMEX delta sky miles card offer in the mail today. Spend $1000 dollars in the first 3 months and get 50,000 bonus miles, with no annual fee the first year. I just applied for another cc earlier this week and got approved, and didn't want to get another card so soon, but I feel like this offer is too good to pass up. Most of the other offers were usually spend $4000 in 3 months (which I'm not sure I'd be able to actually do) and get less miles.

Would I be able to still get this offer, even though I have a different AMEX card? I thought I would, but after reading something somewhere about how delta's skymiles works, I'm not as certain. I'm not reading anything in the fine print about that.

The way Amex works (currently) is that you can get a sign up bonus once per card per lifetime (lifetime may actually mean seven years, but that hasn't been proven).

So as long as you've never had that particular card, you can get the bonus.

That said, 50,000 sky miles isn't the highest; targeted mailers goes as high as 75k. 50k is pretty common so don't feel stressed about signing up for it right now if you don't want too.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

How reasonable are the USAA cash back credit cards? I've never had a credit card before, so I don't really have a frame of reference to rank them.

I'm only looking to pick up a credit card to replace my local credit union's debit card for everyday purchases for a bit of extra security. I also have issues with the local card since I travel a lot and they lock that thing if you even think of making an overseas purchase. I don't really want to worry about juggling cards to get the best rewards. Just something that won't cost me any extra money and maybe give me some modest rewards.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

-Zydeco- posted:

How reasonable are the USAA cash back credit cards? I've never had a credit card before, so I don't really have a frame of reference to rank them.

I'm only looking to pick up a credit card to replace my local credit union's debit card for everyday purchases for a bit of extra security. I also have issues with the local card since I travel a lot and they lock that thing if you even think of making an overseas purchase. I don't really want to worry about juggling cards to get the best rewards. Just something that won't cost me any extra money and maybe give me some modest rewards.

USAA has a pretty solid reputation overall. They offer the exact type of card I would recommend for you, a 1.5% cashback, no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee card. They also offer a 1.25% cashback version of the card which I presume is for people with lower credit.

Since you have never had a credit card before you may not qualify for either card, depending on if you have any other credit history. In that case I would say to avoid the USAA Secured Credit Cards since they have an annual fee. Discover has a secured credit card that earns rewards, has no annual or foreign transaction fee, and should graduate to a standard version of the card after about a year.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

THF13 posted:

USAA has a pretty solid reputation overall. They offer the exact type of card I would recommend for you, a 1.5% cashback, no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee card. They also offer a 1.25% cashback version of the card which I presume is for people with lower credit.

Since you have never had a credit card before you may not qualify for either card, depending on if you have any other credit history. In that case I would say to avoid the USAA Secured Credit Cards since they have an annual fee. Discover has a secured credit card that earns rewards, has no annual or foreign transaction fee, and should graduate to a standard version of the card after about a year.

Meh. I only qualify for $500 on a card with a $35 annual fee and no benefits. I have a government issued credit card, but its apparently not enough for a history. I guess I'll start saving up for a deposit.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 4, 2016

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Thanks everyone, I have transitioned over to the Amex Blue Cash Preferred card and I am eager to track my Rewards Dollars accumulation! The only thing I don't like about the card so far is how flimsy and cheap it looks, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Isn't there a website where you can enter all your various card points from different sources and it tells you the best way to redeem them? Googling just gives me websites that let you calculate current point value.