Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SynthOrange posted:

This is my favourite bit.

or the bit where Thor drew fanart of Mjolnir

Can someone find me the image of the poster Thor has on his wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I find it weird that they edited out the "Tony Stark AKA Iron Man" and Steve Rogers AKA Captain America" joke from the Comic Con version but I'm glad it finally came out

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Karloff posted:

It strikes me that we've had nine live-action Batman films so far, and we've never really had a truly great fight sequence where Batman fights an opponent of equal or similar skill outside of The Dark Knight Rises, and I guess Batman v Superman (but that film is bobbins). I guess there's that bit on the train at the end of Batman Begins but, though I love that film, that fight sequence isn't its finest moment.

So I guess Deathstroke could provide that kind of scene, seeming as he's so great at fighting and all.

As someone who only has a passing knowledge of Batman (having only read a handful of Bat stories but mostly know him through TV and movie adaptations), it seems like most of Batman's villains are villains that use their mind, criminal kingpins, or use tech or science. Besides Bane, I honestly can't think of a villain who can physically go toe-to-toe with Batman that's been featured prominently in mass media.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He has a couple brutish villains but then it becomes about him using his smarts to overcome them, not a slugfest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ra's is capable of putting up a good fight.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib

notthegoatseguy posted:

As someone who only has a passing knowledge of Batman (having only read a handful of Bat stories but mostly know him through TV and movie adaptations), it seems like most of Batman's villains are villains that use their mind, criminal kingpins, or use tech or science. Besides Bane, I honestly can't think of a villain who can physically go toe-to-toe with Batman that's been featured prominently in mass media.

The only other one I can think of for brute strength is Killer Croc.

edit^^^^^ yep. Also Ra's, but only if it leads to a sweet, shirtless sword fight.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ra's is capable of putting up a good fight.

Did they even have a big fight scene in Batman Begins? I honestly don't remember one happening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Did they even have a big fight scene in Batman Begins? I honestly don't remember one happening.

It's impossible to tell with all the shaky cam.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

They had their ice practice duel and then some punches were thrown in the monorail that's HEADED RIGHT FOR WAYNE TOWER OH GEEZ IF IT GETS TO WAYNE TOWER WATCH OUT OH MAN THE PRESSURE GUAGES THAT'S NOT GOOD

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Excuse me I have it on good authority that The Joker can fight The Bat Man mano a mano simply because he is so crazy and random that master martial artist Bruce Wayne cannot read his movements

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

AnonSpore posted:

Excuse me I have it on good authority that The Joker can fight The Bat Man mano a mano simply because he is so crazy and random that master martial artist Bruce Wayne cannot read his movements

I thought that was the reason Deadpool can beat up Taskmaster?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

For mainly physical threat villains I'd include Clayface, Man-Bat, KGBeast and he's fought Solomon Grundy a bunch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the rumor right now is that Joe Manganiello is playing Deathstroke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel like that's been the rumor for like a year or more at this point.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

For mainly physical threat villains I'd include Clayface, Man-Bat, KGBeast and he's fought Solomon Grundy a bunch

Even then, they all have super strength, so it becomes more about Batman outsmarting them. Batman generally doesn't fight normal dudes who are just good at martial arts.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Super Dan posted:

Even then, they all have super strength, so it becomes more about Batman outsmarting them. Batman generally doesn't fight normal dudes who are just good at martial arts.
There's always Lady Shiva.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

So the rumor right now is that Joe Manganiello is playing Deathstroke.

BTW, if you want to see the cutest gay love story, watch the new Pee Wee movie on netflix, it's adorable how he and Manganiello are together.

I always poo poo on lovely batman fans, but I still cannot help but think they're who WB is marketing Batman, and the whole DCCU, to. They're the ones who think Batman can beat anyone, but not beat them through out smarting them or exploiting a weakness or some other actually decently written thing, but beat them with fists. Like Batman Superman Apocalypse, it's cool while Supes is beating up Darkseids army, Batman sneaks into his doomsday device storage and hijacks then and tells Darkseid if he doesn't give up Kara, he'll blow up Apokalypse. They complained up and down that Batman should have physically fought Darkseid, literally a god and one of the few beings the DCU that can give Superman trouble. Yea what? No. Yay Batman laid down traps for Superman in BvS, but he still came down to beating up Clark with his fists.

Batman just doesn't feel that smart in the DCCU right now.

redbackground posted:

There's always Lady Shiva.

I can't see that without thinking MECHA SHIVA!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

I can't see that without thinking MECHA SHIVA!
I'd be okay with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I feel like that's been the rumor for like a year or more at this point.

The actor himself has been hinting at it for a long rear end time. As far back as the initial BvS production.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Joe Mangianello is maybe one of only two actors (the other being the Rock) who'd make me interested in Deathstroke at all, so...decent casting choice if true, DC.

Probably gonna make him a miserable super-serious oval office though, defeating the whole purpose of casting Joe Mangianello in your thing, but whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Toxxupation posted:

Probably gonna make him a miserable super-serious oval office though, defeating the whole purpose of casting Joe Mangianello in your thing, but whatever.
That would fit with 90% of the characters in the DCCU so far, so probably

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
People talk poo poo about Arrow, and the last two seasons have deserved every bit of it, but Manu Bennett was fantastic as Slade throughout Seasons 1 and 2. He is usually held up as one of the highlights of the entire show, for good reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Marvel is shopping a New Warriors TV series concept that would probably star Squirrel Girl to some networks, mostly ABC which already has Agents of SHIELD

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/31/marvel-developing-new-warriors-comedy-tv-series-focused-on-squirrel-girl

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marvel is shopping a New Warriors TV series concept that would probably star Squirrel Girl to some networks, mostly ABC which already has Agents of SHIELD

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/31/marvel-developing-new-warriors-comedy-tv-series-focused-on-squirrel-girl

While I understand that SG works better as a TV show, what with her recurring characters and the broad swath of the Multiverse she interacts with, I'd rather she be on the film side.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Plastik posted:

While I understand that SG works better as a TV show, what with her recurring characters and the broad swath of the Multiverse she interacts with, I'd rather she be on the film side.

Yeah, what really makes me sad is that this kills hopes for avengers 5: squirrel girl beats up the marvel universe

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So, apparently, FOX refused to pay for the writers of Deadpool to be on-set during filming...so Ryan Reynolds did. Out of pocket.

I really hope there's a documentary made about the process of putting Deadpool onscreen and its eventual Cinderella-esque level of success, because literally everything I've ever read anecdotally about the behind the scenes machinations makes it sound like FOX did its damnedest to ensure it failed while Reynolds/Miller/et al did everything possible to get it made. It's the craziest possible underdog story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Say what you will about Ryan Reynolds...but he wants his projects done right....I mean how long did he work on getting this made? 8 years?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Say what you will about Ryan Reynolds...but he wants his projects done right....I mean how long did he work on getting this made? 8 years?

I think most everyone will say that Ryan Reynolds is awesome. I think he and Keanu must be the two best people in Hollywood, though Chris Pratt and Chris Evans seem up there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

I think most everyone will say that Ryan Reynolds is awesome. I think he and Keanu must be the two best people in Hollywood, though Chris Pratt and Chris Evans seem up there.

RDJ went to bat for his co-stars so they'd get better pay.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I didn't think Deadpool was that great, but the insane degree to which Fox wanted to kill it puts me on Reynolds' side 100%

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raserys posted:

I didn't think Deadpool was that great, but the insane degree to which Fox wanted to kill it puts me on Reynolds' side 100%

You mean the $200 Million they spent on marketing?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

You mean the $200 Million they spent on marketing?

To be fair that was after putting the movie in turnaround, twice, burying Deadpool's character in Origins (and explicitly threatening Reynolds when he bitched about the mouth-sewing with a barely-veiled "If you make a stink about this we'll cancel the Deadpool solo entirely"), putting the movie on indefinite hiatus after the total disaster of Green Lantern (this was at least kinda justified), then refusing any movement on Deadpool whatsoever until someone, probably Miller, leaked test footage that essentially forced FOX's hand because it was that popular. After which FOX gave them a relatively tiny budget, forcing the entire project to be shot on three sets total (and once you know that's the case, it's super noticeable), as the weakest-willed show of good faith possible just to shut Reynolds/Miller/the greater internet at large up.

And then it became the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

forcing the entire project to be shot on three sets total (and once you know that's the case, it's super noticeable)

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

I've seen this four times, how did I never notice?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair that was after putting the movie in turnaround, twice, burying Deadpool's character in Origins (and explicitly threatening Reynolds when he bitched about the mouth-sewing with a barely-veiled "If you make a stink about this we'll cancel the Deadpool solo entirely"), putting the movie on indefinite hiatus after the total disaster of Green Lantern (this was at least kinda justified), then refusing any movement on Deadpool whatsoever until someone, probably Miller, leaked test footage that essentially forced FOX's hand because it was that popular. After which FOX gave them a relatively tiny budget, forcing the entire project to be shot on three sets total (and once you know that's the case, it's super noticeable), as the weakest-willed show of good faith possible just to shut Reynolds/Miller/the greater internet at large up.

And then it became the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time.

There's more than 3 sets in the film. The Highway scene was always intended to be sandwiched into the film that way per the script from 6 years ago. Honestly the only thing that isn't in the film done for budget is the final battle which took place in a high rise which eventually collapsed in explosions and poo poo. That scene was for sure removed for money. But other than that, the film is pretty much what the script is.

Oh and 2 SFX heavy mutant villains were removed as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the Dick Tracy movie with Warren Beatty?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you like Dick Tracy or beautiful looking movies it is very good.

Honestly my personal favorite comic movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's one of those rather underrated pulpy ones. Like, nothing earthshattering hitting heights never before seen, just a fun and rather stylish looking movie. See also The Rocketeer or The Shadow.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for that 20s-40s aesthetic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It also has one of Danny Elfman's more memorable scores (back before his work became as generic-sounding as every other major Hollywood composer), and some original songs by Stephen Sondheim.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is absolutely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

It's one of those rather underrated pulpy ones. Like, nothing earthshattering hitting heights never before seen, just a fun and rather stylish looking movie. See also The Rocketeer or The Shadow.

As far as that generation of superhero movies that were following Batman '89 go, I've only seen The Rocketeer (love it) and Darkman (love it). I've never seen The Shadow or The Phantom or Dick Tracy but I'm especially curious about the last one because I've seen some of the crazy make-up they used to reproduce all the bizarre characters from the comic strip like Littleface and the Brow, and thought, "That looks interesting."

The only thing is that I've heard Warren Beatty miscast himself in the lead role, and somebody like Harrison Ford would have been a better choice.

• Locked thread