Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Dre2Dee2 posted:

drat, I wish the dude who made the Legendary Lord start positions mod would update it, because it was one of my absolute favorite mods. Now with even more LLs coming in, I'm not even sure how you would even balance it

Does anyone know of similar mods that aren't broken to hell?

Read the steam workshop comments he's going to update it was has been waiting for this next big patch to fix a few things. Fingers crossed he'll have the LL mod out again soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

updating bretonnia before the wood elves dlc makes sense anyway 'cause the bretons are in the woods and the wood elves are in the woods, so you know

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Endorph posted:

updating bretonnia before the wood elves dlc makes sense anyway 'cause the bretons are in the woods and the wood elves are in the woods, so you know

It would give the Bret campaign some conflict and focus, currently the western portion of the map is pretty sleepy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FutonForensic posted:

GW hosed up their own lore in the worst way possible. Any fan fiction bullshit that CA pulls will actually be better (see Archaon getting stomped by a Gryphon).

Well that and actually being able to stop the End times. I want an Age of Sigmar DLC that uses the same map.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

what have they done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As dumb as Storm of Chaos was, it is still better than The End Times. Grimgor punching out Archaeon is just the perfect finish to all that nonsense.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

what have they done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

Essentially, Ground Marines.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've honestly been eyeballing the Age of Sigmar starter set. They just released the Generals handbook which is supposed to be very good, and it's only a matter of time before more Dwarf -ahem, "Duardin"- models come out.

I get that it's a whole new world but I'm digging this fantasy stuff really hard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was in a game store last weekend with some friends and I went over and looked at Warhammer stuff for a second

The minute I saw the pricetags I NOPE'd so hard that I upset the cashier and he got all apologetic and tried to make excuses

I almost felt bad for him when he realized a video game had destroyed his business model, but dude was charging eighty bucks for pewter toys

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That sounds fairly steep for pewter but I guess it would depend on the model.

It's honestly a hobby that's always going to seem way expensive to people that aren't involved themselves. To me the miniatures are totally worth it due to fact that I love the playing the games and get hours of entertainment out of building and painting the models. It's totally not for everyone but can be super rewarding if you give it a shot.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the future of games workshop's business model should be licensing of on-site production with 3D printers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pendent posted:

It's honestly a hobby that's always going to seem way expensive to people that aren't involved themselves.

I used to be involved myself and it seemed way too expensive to me even then.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I definitely get that and I'm glad to see GW licencing stuff like this game so they can appeal to people that don't have the hobby bug. I'm just saying that some people like me find the prices acceptable because the models look amazing and the hobby makes them happy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was in a game store last weekend with some friends and I went over and looked at Warhammer stuff for a second

The minute I saw the pricetags I NOPE'd so hard that I upset the cashier and he got all apologetic and tried to make excuses

I almost felt bad for him when he realized a video game had destroyed his business model, but dude was charging eighty bucks for pewter toys
it isn't really his fault, that's the price games workshop has set.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They were probably resin models anyways. At least with pewter they had the excuse that it was metal. But they are using terrible quality resin which had ridiculous bubbles and mould lines when the finecast models first launched.

Of course the real reason is games workshop prices their products according to how valuable they are points wise in game play rather than actual model quality. That's why three terminators in a box are ninety dollars.

I am so glad I switched to Gundam for my plastic model cocaine. Even with hobby shop markups you get way more bang for your buck with a gunpla kit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Games Workshop's business practices make more sense once you learn they don't do market research and think that video games are still a passing fad.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
To steer away the conversation from the rather dull "GW pricing policy" topic, how about that DLC coming in two days?

Defiantly planning on a new VC campaign come thursday, but just can't decide between Vlad or Helman, both seem like real good starting options and I'm curious what their unlock conditions will be to make my final call.

Also a full on fanatics crusade with Volkmar seems like it could be a blast too, sending waves of unbreakable zealots into the enemy lines to die horrible followed by Knights with HOLY FIRE lances charging in to mop up the remains :getin:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry about the derail.

I think I already mentioned I want to do a full on religious zealot run for my first Empire playthrough. I seriously can't wait

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Choyi posted:

To steer away the conversation from the rather dull "GW pricing policy" topic, how about that DLC coming in two days?

Defiantly planning on a new VC campaign come thursday, but just can't decide between Vlad or Helman, both seem like real good starting options and I'm curious what their unlock conditions will be to make my final call.

Also a full on fanatics crusade with Volkmar seems like it could be a blast too, sending waves of unbreakable zealots into the enemy lines to die horrible followed by Knights with HOLY FIRE lances charging in to mop up the remains :getin:

Definitely running VC but who I start with will probably depend on their starting army.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I thought so - it's going to be weird seeing Mannie as the leader then.

To be fair, Vlad was dead for a long time.

He came back due to -the reason Tomb Kings will probably be added to the game for-, and wasn't really the same force he was upon his return.

When you look at Manfred/Vlad's relationship, or their power/strengths/what they did, you have to realize they exist across a large period of lore. Vlad is the daddy vampire and much more powerful then Manfred was back in his day. It's just he did also die and Manfred took over/confederated the VC, and made it his own faction. Vlad's return mean's he has a chance to retake the faction from Manfred if you want to play althistory here ( in the actual canon he was basically leashed to the big bad that rezzed him ), but otherwise there is a force that hasn't been added to the game yet they are both serving that makes him following Manfred make a bit more sense.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for when the Tomb Kings get released and we can have a Settra/Vlad Power Hour.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Well that and actually being able to stop the End times. I want an Age of Sigmar DLC that uses the same map.

Nope. gently caress that noise.

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for when the Tomb Kings get released and we can have a Settra/Vlad Power Hour.
Settra rules. :allears:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope they add every faction to the grand campaign. The chaos would be wonderful.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Verranicus posted:

I hope they add every faction to the grand campaign. The chaos would be wonderful.

That is in fact their stated goal.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I took a bit of a break for TWW and thought the DLCs looked kind of fun. I enjoy the base game well enough and wouldn't mind more content, but I might wait to see how much it really adds to the single player experience, since I rarely spend a lot of time with multiplayer in TW games. New units and, in the case of the beastmen expansion, new content to the map sounds interesting enough though since the campaign was really fun.

Unrelated, returning to Shogun 2 makes me wish I could field a proper tercio as the Otomo, but I can't seem to find any mods specific enough to do that!

Safety Factor posted:

Nope. gently caress that noise.

Agreed. WHFB wasn't always great with its art design or world fiction, but AoS looks like a weird, less flashy WH40k. Heck, one of the things that drew me into fantasy was seeing the Empire troops running around in their costumes and the Solomon Kane-esque witch hunters. The new stuff doesn't quite do it for me.

Also, I thought the Tomb Kings didn't like the VCs. Or am I mistaken?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Chaos is already in :rimshot:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I can't wait to use big lizard dudes armed with macuahuitls.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

Agreed. WHFB wasn't always great with its art design or world fiction, but AoS looks like a weird, less flashy WH40k. Heck, one of the things that drew me into fantasy was seeing the Empire troops running around in their costumes and the Solomon Kane-esque witch hunters. The new stuff doesn't quite do it for me.

WHFB was great because it was basically all our fantasy and horror cliche's thrown into one giant mess and beating seven shades of poo poo out of each other. It was glorious

AoS is... not that.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Choyi posted:

I'm definitely starting a new Empire campaign when the DLC is out - the VC stuff looks great but I did a full long campaign as them recently so it's not happening. Can't wait to return to the Empire campaign though, which is far and away my favourite in the game.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

VC is a lot more fun with the public order bonuses removed from the AI, so spreading corruption feels like it meaningfully advances your campaign efforts.

That said, Empire is my favourite single player faction too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I thought I'd be more of a Dwarf player before the game came out, but I just love the badass combined arms aspect of the Empire too much. There's no artillery piece that stays relevant for most of the game as well as the Mortar does too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Watching the CA stream, Free Militia seem pretty cool, T1 rax unit, just barely weaker than swordsmen in melee and trade off shields for pistols, which look like a goblin archer tier ranged attack. Also vanguard. I can definitely see using them to mix up the early game.

Flags are available from the T2 barracks, so you can mass them pretty easily for Volkmar too.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What is their unit size?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mukip posted:

What is their unit size?

90 (large) or 120 (ultra), same as swordsmen, for both free company militia and flagellants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

free militia are pretty much just quarrelers, but cheaper, with worse range and less armor, and vanguard deployment. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure their melee attack and weapon strength is the exact same as a quarreler even.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
According to Steam it's one day 'til the DLC drops so here we go!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The condition to unlock Vlad in the campaign is to raze Altdorf, makes sense. Unless you sneak into Reikland though I feel like you've probably already won if you're razing Altdorf.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Endorph posted:

free militia are pretty much just quarrelers, but cheaper, with worse range and less armor, and vanguard deployment. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure their melee attack and weapon strength is the exact same as a quarreler even.

Not having the shields quarrelers have is a pretty big deal. Most of the value of the quarreler is that the shield means they outshoot everyone.

EDIT: It sounds like they make a good crossbowmen replacement vs marauders - they can probably outshoot marauder horsemen, and don't need a spearman unit to defend themselves if those horsemen decide to charge in. They might also do decently compared to crossbowmen vs Empire, if you find yourself facing shield heavy stacks.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 31, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Trujillo posted:

The condition to unlock Vlad in the campaign is to raze Altdorf, makes sense. Unless you sneak into Reikland though I feel like you've probably already won if you're razing Altdorf.

Altdorf is usually my destination after leaving Sylvania. I usually conquer it around the time the midgame is transitioning to the late game - once I take it, my priority is shoring up my defenses for the Chaos onslaught and maybe sending an extra stack into Bretonnia if I can spare it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I don't think FCM are supposed to fill the same role at as Quarrelers at all. They seem more like you're supposed to deploy them in a forest or something and harass to start then charge the rear or flank once the lines meet.

• Locked thread