Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lookin good!

I also made nachos:

Did a montery jack/sharp cheddar mornay sauce, sauteed some onions and garlic with some veggie ground round and black beans and spices, and then topped it with pico de gallo.

You managed to make nachos that don't look like food vomit which is very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

And just to troll, because this picture came out better than I would have it imagined it would:

There is nothing wrong with corndogs.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Moey posted:

There is nothing wrong with corndogs.

absolutely not...that looks amazing, Hurt Whitey Maybe.
but well, I'm not from a corndog country (although I did guess what it was) (but yeah, still no idea what it should taste like) (whatever)

Anyway, low calorie (sigh) dinner here,
a ricenoodle salad with honey pork, carrot, cucumber, spanish pepper and fried onions.

(pretty nice for a low calorie quick dinner, actually)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, we make vermicelli-esque things all the time, shrimp or glazed pork or w/e, some veggies, sweet chili sauce + some other stuff my wife puts in for a sauce. Basically what I'm saying is those types of meals are fabulous.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't get a pic but made my first carbonara last night! :toot:

The pan was a little hot so some egg was scrambled throughout, otherwise was good. Used bacon in place of pancetta in a recipe.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lookin good!

I also made nachos:

Did a montery jack/sharp cheddar mornay sauce, sauteed some onions and garlic with some veggie ground round and black beans and spices, and then topped it with pico de gallo.
Hope I don't seem totally ignorant now, but what are the black and pink chips I see there? Looks really good I must say!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Dr. Klas posted:

Hope I don't seem totally ignorant now, but what are the black and pink chips I see there?

Could be corn chips made with blue corn and red corn, or just colored with additives.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Any excuse to spactchcock a bird, so I did a sheet tray spatchcocked chicken, with some fancy mushrooms and kale.

Got a 6 -pound chicken, spatchcock'd it. Covered the bird in olive oil, generously in kosher salt then ground up un-hydrated porcini mushrooms into a powder and equal cayenne.

Cut up 2 lemons, cut into ½-inch slices for a platform then some sage sprigs and rosemary sprigs then sat the bird down.

hydrated 1 cup porcini mushrooms.

(reserving the shroom juice for something, not sure yet)

3 cups shiitake mushrooms, 2 cups royal trumpet mushrooms, quartered 2½ cups maitake mushrooms, torn, some lemon zest,
4 garlic cloves smashed, 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced into rings and more olive oil and kosher salt.

Surround the bird with the mushroom mixture.

475F until the thigh reads 165 with the probe.

2 cups kale, roughly chopped, kosher salt and olive oil, place on the mushroom mixture then stick it back in the oven for about 5 more minutes.

Voila. Broke the chicken down and served it all on wild grain rice. You can't see it but the bird drippings and mushrooms and olive oil made for a wonderful little sauce.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nhilist posted:

Voila. Broke the chicken down and served it all on wild grain rice. You can't see it but the bird drippings and mushrooms and olive oil made for a wonderful little sauce.

Next time, try reducing that mushroom stock and using it for your pan sauce!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Phone cameras, yaaay.

Oven roasted some beef with potatos and onions for around 4 hours, roasted some beets, and sautéed the beet greens. The beet and beef juice have blended into some strange pink liquid in the plate, which the potatos have begun to soak up.

I've never had beets before, and peeling them was scary. I kept checking my fingers to make sure I hadn't cut myself.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Schubalts posted:

Phone cameras, yaaay.

Oven roasted some beef with potatos and onions for around 4 hours, roasted some beets, and sautéed the beet greens. The beet and beef juice have blended into some strange pink liquid in the plate, which the potatos have begun to soak up.

I've never had beets before, and peeling them was scary. I kept checking my fingers to make sure I hadn't cut myself.

just wait a few hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2WsXIgO6A

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Klas posted:

Hope I don't seem totally ignorant now, but what are the black and pink chips I see there? Looks really good I must say!

Thanks! I'm not sure whether the chips are just colored or actually different corn, they sell them in different colors at my local Safeway.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nhilist posted:

Any excuse to spactchcock a bird, so I did a sheet tray spatchcocked chicken, with some fancy mushrooms and kale.

Got a 6 -pound chicken, spatchcock'd it. Covered the bird in olive oil, generously in kosher salt then ground up un-hydrated porcini mushrooms into a powder and equal cayenne.

Cut up 2 lemons, cut into ½-inch slices for a platform then some sage sprigs and rosemary sprigs then sat the bird down.

hydrated 1 cup porcini mushrooms.

3 cups shiitake mushrooms, 2 cups royal trumpet mushrooms, quartered 2½ cups maitake mushrooms, torn, some lemon zest,
4 garlic cloves smashed, 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced into rings and more olive oil and kosher salt.

Surround the bird with the mushroom mixture.

475F until the thigh reads 165 with the probe.

2 cups kale, roughly chopped, kosher salt and olive oil, place on the mushroom mixture then stick it back in the oven for about 5 more minutes.

Ah man, the kale is brilliant, gonna steal that.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
A woman I work with brought in sweet corn so I grabbed a few ears and made some corn fritters. Served them with a sauce of butter and maple syrup. Credit to the plating has to go to my wife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fish was cheap so I Japaned. Saury shioyaki, catfish kabayaki, some cucumber salad thing I don't know if it has a particular name, basic miso soup. My toaster oven broiler didn't really brown the saury enough before it was cooked through, sadly underpowered.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Fish was cheap so I Japaned. Saury shioyaki, catfish kabayaki, some cucumber salad thing I don't know if it has a particular name, basic miso soup. My toaster oven broiler didn't really brown the saury enough before it was cooked through, sadly underpowered.

That's daikon oroshi next to the fish? Do they have daikon outside of Japan? I never really see it except for Korean pickles outside of Japanese food.

Did you gut the fish or does it come that way? I've never been able to get into sanma guts, but I know a lot of people who eat them like they're going out of style.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

That's daikon oroshi next to the fish? Do they have daikon outside of Japan? I never really see it except for Korean pickles outside of Japanese food.

Did you gut the fish or does it come that way? I've never been able to get into sanma guts, but I know a lot of people who eat them like they're going out of style.

Yeah it's daikon oroshi and some homemade gari which I can't be bothered to try to cut thin enough for the real thing. I've never thought of daikon as unusual. It's sold everywhere in Korea and China and was around pretty normally where I'm from in the US.

I gutted them. Not into the bitter bile thing.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Stringent posted:

Do they have daikon outside of Japan?

It's probably sold near you as well, but you might need to check out ethnic stores....and daikon is sold under numerous different names!

for example, in my neck of the woods (the Netherlands), it is called rettich or sometimes (white) rammenas, seldom daikon.

I mainly buy them from Turkish grocery stores, but pretty much all ethnic stores sell them.
big supermarkets over here do not sell them (probably because they figure that their customers are not willing to buy these gigantic things when they have no idea what they are or what they should do with them)

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
brisket, root beer bbq, crispy pickled onions (pickled in the brine from pickled jalapenos), house made bun

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I want to shove my face into that.

paraquat posted:

It's probably sold near you as well, but you might need to check out ethnic stores....and daikon is sold under numerous different names!

My first time seeing daikon for sale was at a farmer's market this weekend, in Texas. They already had the top and the root tip cut off, though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blacquethoven posted:

brisket, root beer bbq, crispy pickled onions (pickled in the brine from pickled jalapenos), house made bun

Fffffffffffff

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tried making pasta for the first time. Came out surprisingly well.

Aglio e Olio, with spinach to bulk it up a little.

emotive fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 30, 2016

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

blacquethoven posted:

I can smell this through my screen and it is making my mouth leak.

I made a slow roasted rack of horse ribs tonight. Excuse the lazy picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Where can one find horse in the USA?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ranter posted:

Depending on the state it may be illegal.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ranter posted:

Gunna be really hard to find. I don't think there are any US slaughter houses for horse meat.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
what does horse taste like?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Real tasty and soft beef, basically.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I had it in Berlin, was good. Better than the raw ground pork.

It's a little silly that horse racing is all fine and dandy here but eating is verboten.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in Calgary, you actually can't buy it retail here even though Alberta has a horse slaughterhouse or two, we export all our horse-meat to Quebec and Europe. A Czech lady I know managed to source some through a guy she knows for $10/kg. This particular piece is about 3kg (7lb). It has the texture of beef, but it has a pretty unique flavor. I've found it to be a bit tougher than beef, so I usually brine it for 24 hours before roasting. I really like it.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 30, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you want horse in the US, you must buy a living animal and slaughter it yourself, for yourself.

Horse is legal overseas where Horses have medical passports, where every change of ownership, medical procedure, and drug given to them is recorded. There is accountability in regards to what is in the animal and what is entering the food system. In the US, there is no such documentation.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
wont be dinner until friday, but heres some sweetcorn gnudi

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Suspect Bucket posted:

Horse is legal overseas where Horses have medical passports, where every change of ownership, medical procedure, and drug given to them is recorded. There is accountability in regards to what is in the animal and what is entering the food system. In the US, there is no such documentation.

Yet a lot of the horses that end up in EU certified slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico are raised in the USA.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Screw plating! Screw presentation! Here's a big ol dutch oven (half) full of Curry Stand Tikka Masala

I don't feel right using store-bought curry powder so I made my own with Chow Hound's "Traditional" British Curry Powder

Turned out pretty good. Could've used a bit more salt. Plus I used actual ginger instead of ground ginger which I think would've given it more kick.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cross posting from the sous vide thread. top side/round of beef.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
4am chicken fried rice

blacquethoven fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 31, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

The best part about my wife's risotto is making risotto cakes the next day! This time, she made it with ginger, peas, curry powder and apple.

I use flour, egg, panko with a little smoked paprika and lemon.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I made Cornish pasties! Well not exactly, I didn't add beef this time around. These were onion, potato, turnip, and cheddar. Salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley. Next time I'll add a bit of mustard I think, but these were REALLY tasty, even though I added way too much water to the dough.

I have 260g of dough left over. What should I do with it?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

angor posted:

Pigs in a blanket/sausage rolls! Wrap it around an appropriately sized sausage or sausages then bake on a rack and serve sliced with mustard! Sprinkle the dough with cheese if you're feeling fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angor posted:

I made Cornish pasties! Well not exactly, I didn't add beef this time around. These were onion, potato, turnip, and cheddar. Salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley. Next time I'll add a bit of mustard I think, but these were REALLY tasty, even though I added way too much water to the dough.

Is it just me or are these indistinguishable from baked empanadas except for the filling?

• Locked thread