Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

AT&T decided to disconnect our internet this morning without warning. It took six hours to get back up and running.

What a great day.

Do schools in the US have a special arrangement regarding SLAs for education-critical technology or anything you can get them to pay out the nose for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What does your heart tell you?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Gene Wilder died, and with it, my belief in things going well for those who follow the rules.

(sorry, what was the topic again? You asked what my heart told me and I typed that in a trance)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heners_UK posted:

Gene Wilder died, and with it, my belief in things going well for those who follow the rules.

Wait, what?

No... :negative:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Two tickets came in today:

1) an urgent "are there problems with the internets?" ticket -- real issue, the burning man livestream had frozen. (Only in SF.)

2) "We're getting the same customer contact email every five minutes. There must be a loop or something stuck somewhere." Nope. Buddy was resending the same email every 301 seconds like clockwork. Of course, it got a lot of attention and bumped him to the top of the list.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My heart tells me that they pay more for internet than they do for larches and they still don't get an SLA.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
What do you mean. They have a Service Larches Agreement. They pay him peanuts and expect him to thank them for the job.. :confused:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"That's none of your concern"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheParadigm posted:

"That's none of your concern"

God drat :golfclap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what?

No... :negative:

Gene Wilder is de-*BONG*

What did he say?
He said Gene Wilder is a dear friend!

No god blammin damnit! Gene Wilder is de-*BONG*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Gene Wilder is de-*BONG*

What did he say?
He said Gene Wilder is a dear friend!

No god blammin damnit! Gene Wilder is de-*BONG*

:golfclap:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
AT&T is the worst company of all time. Recently sold a customer on some small business account that was only a third of the price of time warner! No SLAs obviously. But no big deal right? Except that they upload data all day, use VOIP in a call center capacity, and generally just use the Internet a ton. So they're having issues, I take a look and (this took me forever to figure out) turns out the Arris modem they gave them has a NAT table that starts making GBS threads itself around 1600 entries or so. UDP packets get dropped and you have DNS errors all over the place, TCP connections start getting closed to make room, and AT&T is totally unapologetic about it. If I configure this stupid thing for IP pass through why is it still NATing? Well I guess how could they turn around and ask for 5x the money for proper business service?

Anyway that's my AT&T story.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fudge posted:

Well I guess how could they turn around and ask for 5x the money for proper business service?

Is that unreasonable? I wouldn't expect a single modem to handle that much at once.

1600 translations and call center capacity VOIP doesn't scream "small business" to me. Give it a few months and you'll probably start getting angry phone calls from them anyway once they notice the bandwidth usage.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Fudge posted:

AT&T is the worst company of all time. Recently sold a customer on some small business account that was only a third of the price of time warner! No SLAs obviously. But no big deal right? Except that they upload data all day, use VOIP in a call center capacity, and generally just use the Internet a ton. So they're having issues, I take a look and (this took me forever to figure out) turns out the Arris modem they gave them has a NAT table that starts making GBS threads itself around 1600 entries or so. UDP packets get dropped and you have DNS errors all over the place, TCP connections start getting closed to make room, and AT&T is totally unapologetic about it. If I configure this stupid thing for IP pass through why is it still NATing? Well I guess how could they turn around and ask for 5x the money for proper business service?

Anyway that's my AT&T story.

Because you think that a consumer modem will handle anything but a home office with less than five users, that makes AT&T suck? Go spend the $150 on a useful modem and connect it to the service.

Hay guyz, I bought a Corolla and Toyota sucks because when I go offloading I lose parts of the drive train! :v:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Fudge posted:

No SLAs obviously.

You get what you pay for and you're an idiot for foisting that on a client with the needs they had.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Arsten posted:

Because you think that a consumer modem will handle anything but a home office with less than five users, that makes AT&T suck? Go spend the $150 on a useful modem and connect it to the service.

Hay guyz, I bought a Corolla and Toyota sucks because when I go offloading I lose parts of the drive train! :v:

Have you ever had the "pleasure" of using AT&T Uverse service? (their VDSL delivered product)

You are forced to use the modem they give you as they use some weird proprietary authentication protocol special to Uverse. And none of these modems have a real bridge mode. So the modem never really gets out of the way. Even business customers get the same poo poo modems.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

stevewm posted:

Have you ever had the "pleasure" of using AT&T Uverse service? (their VDSL delivered product)

You are forced to use the modem they give you as they use some weird proprietary authentication protocol special to Uverse. And none of these modems have a real bridge mode. So the modem never really gets out of the way. Even business customers get the same poo poo modems.

AT&T is real loving terrible, but they weren't posting an example of anything like that. They said "small business account" and "No SLAs obviously," and then were SHOCKED that a) there was gambling going on in that establishment and b) the service wouldn't fit the client's needs.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

oTHi posted:

Do schools in the US have a special arrangement regarding SLAs for education-critical technology or anything you can get them to pay out the nose for?

A lot of public schools get their internet access through the E-Rate program, which has a lot of rules and regulations on the type of services that are covered. Considering the fact that high-poverty school systems can get up to a 90% discount on internet access, there's a bit of leeway for paying for certain services.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

stevewm posted:

I agree they are generally poo poo for purpose, but there is a difference between the provided "Small business" device (in this case a consumer modem) and a large network modem they will provide to larger clients. 1,600 network entries in a NAT table is simply and plainly excessive for the service tier they bought.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
My company has decided that they're going to dock pay if we have any less than 9 hours [includes lunch] total entered into the ticketing system. We're all salaried exempt.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My company has decided that they're going to dock pay if we have any less than 9 hours [includes lunch] total entered into the ticketing system. We're all salaried exempt.

Sounds illegal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fudge posted:

AT&T is the worst company of all time.

My family uses AT&T for our cell plan, and we're all still on a family plan. Every single time one of us upgrades a phone, AT&T turns off the wrong SIM card, which necessitates a visit to a physical AT&T store location, which is not at all easy for my parents.

It's amazing how they do it repeatedly.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's great for you. They can only withhold pay for salary exempt employees if the employees are not at work - and they can't even dock you for partial missed days, they can only do it in full day increments.

So, rack up overtime for a couple of weeks, then report them to the state for docking your pay. When you get your status changed to OT qualified, report them again for not paying OT back to when the docking started. If they retaliate, cash out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:sever:

(per day? per week?)

Arsten posted:

I agree they are generally poo poo for purpose, but there is a difference between the provided "Small business" device (in this case a consumer modem) and a large network modem they will provide to larger clients. 1,600 network entries in a NAT table is simply and plainly excessive for the service tier they bought.

There's also the service provider's end of all this.

The whole reason providers can offer 100mbps to residential customers is because they never actually use it. The second that node starts getting contention, somebody is going to look at it, find a single bandwidth hog, then invoke some fine print in the terms of service and throttle your service to hell and back.

e: I'm just speaking generally because I know next to nothing about AT&T specifically

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Renegret posted:

(per day? per week?)

Day.

This is effective starting next week.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

And they expect people not to exaggerate the times they enter in the ticketing system?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Day.

This is effective starting next week.

lmao

How do they justify that? I'm assuming you work normal human being 8 hour days? How is that even possible?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Renegret posted:

lmao

How do they justify that? I'm assuming you work normal human being 8 hour days? How is that even possible?

I work 8:30 to 5:30 and have a one hour lunch. We're billing on average 5 hours of billable time into ConnectWise. They want all 9 hours accounted for every day to "spot inefficiencies"

Edit: VvvvV Isn't it? All of us collectively are saying Hell no.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 31, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
amazing

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
30 minutes - calculating time sheet entries
30 minutes - double checking time sheet entries
15 minutes - submitting time sheet entries
15 minutes - confirming submission of time sheet entries.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Renegret posted:

(per day? per week?)

The whole reason providers can offer 100mbps to residential customers is because they never actually use it. The second that node starts getting contention, somebody is going to look at it, find a single bandwidth hog, then invoke some fine print in the terms of service and throttle your service to hell and back.

e: I'm just speaking generally because I know next to nothing about AT&T specifically

Your speaking generally is quite out of date for the major cable companies in the majority of the country. Can't say as what at&t does on their wacky uverse system, and of course plain DSL providers don't provide the full advertised speed in the first place.

Some areas of some cable cos have flat transfer limits, but with those your service either gets cut off or your bill goes up in a big way, rather than throttling.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My last job tried this. 50h/week needed to be logged. At first we were all like "hell no!"
But then the CIO started doing it as a show of good faith. I took a peek at that first time sheet and when I saw 6h/day of "email" I knew that I didn't actually have to DO the needful. I just had to write it down.
Cue me taking 4 hour lunches and logging it as "email"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My last job tried this. 50h/week needed to be logged. At first we were all like "hell no!"
But then the CIO started doing it as a show of good faith. I took a peek at that first time sheet and when I saw 6h/day of "email" I knew that I didn't actually have to DO the needful. I just had to write it down.
Cue me taking 4 hour lunches and logging it as "email"

Thing is, it's the whole "we're going to only pay you in full if you have 9 hours logged, getting deductions for anytime that time sheet isn't 9 hours in length."

That's illegal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Thing is, it's the whole "we're going to only pay you in full if you have 9 hours logged, getting deductions for anytime that time sheet isn't 9 hours in length."

That's illegal.

It's super illegal, which is why it never happened.
Eventually we stopped using the time trackers altogether, and called their bluff, and they backpedaled a whole bunch.
Not long after that they started lopping entire arms off of the company and randomly firing people left and right.

It was like a really bad office-oriented version of Left Behind.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Trying to download SQL 2012 Standard on a clients server that is in Australia.

Every time I start to download it or transfer an installer over, the internet connection on the server goes down.

This is all client provided hardware/network so I do not have to do anything other then tell them I lost connection again, but seriously wondering what their network is like if a download can cause the internet on the server to stop working.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I work 8:30 to 5:30 and have a one hour lunch. We're billing on average 5 hours of billable time into ConnectWise. They want all 9 hours accounted for every day to "spot inefficiencies"

Edit: VvvvV Isn't it? All of us collectively are saying Hell no.

Christ. My company wants ~8 hours a day and ~40 hours a week tracked in Salesforce (as much of it billable as possible) but threatening docked pay is hosed up. Granted my company implemented it because certain people on the support team had huge gaps in hours...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Greatbacon posted:

30 minutes - calculating time sheet entries
30 minutes - double checking time sheet entries
15 minutes - submitting time sheet entries
15 minutes - confirming submission of time sheet entries.

More like: reset user password - 45 minutes

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Alighieri posted:

Trying to download SQL 2012 Standard on a clients server that is in Australia.

Every time I start to download it or transfer an installer over, the internet connection on the server goes down.

This is all client provided hardware/network so I do not have to do anything other then tell them I lost connection again, but seriously wondering what their network is like if a download can cause the internet on the server to stop working.

I highlighted your problem.

Australia is a 3rd world country when it comes to internet. You will literally be better served shipping a USB key.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
8:30 - Ticket opened
"Stupid time requirements no one is going to read"

5:30 - Ticket resolved
"Ppppppppppppptbtbttby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Super Slash posted:

8:30 - Ticket opened
"Stupid time requirements no one is going to read"

5:30 - Ticket resolved
"Ppppppppppppptbtbttby"

Sadly, they actually check who what where and when on times and require us to send a daily time report.

• Locked thread