Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

dr_ether posted:

Finished Fallen Frontiers, Riff Hero, Fink Dradd

Riff Assault Troopers

Those are really rad. Cool painterly style, the flesh tones on the fink dad are especially sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Had a hell of a time converting and green stuffing this maggoth lord. He's going to be a Great Unclean One for my Nurgle army.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Looks good, Sisko. Are you making any other alterations to the maggoth?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think it's his first time really using GS. So it's pretty dang impressive!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

GreenMarine posted:

Looks good, Sisko. Are you making any other alterations to the maggoth?

I'm of two mind about it. On one hand I don't want to go overboard or bite off more than I can chew. On the other, he's going to be used for some Horus Heresy so I'm thinking of throwing a hand reaching out of the lower set of jaws.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

The Sisko posted:

I'm of two mind about it. On one hand I don't want to go overboard or bite off more than I can chew. On the other, he's going to be used for some Horus Heresy so I'm thinking of throwing a hand reaching out of the lower set of jaws.

It looks really good so far, so I think you can push it a bit further. At the same time, I understand the trade-off between wanting to take a risk on something new vs being happy with the final result.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

PaintVagrant posted:

Those are really rad. Cool painterly style, the flesh tones on the fink dad are especially sweet.

Thanks. I should have the rest of the Riff from the KS boxed game painted.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Fallen Frontier Riff Troopers

And with the Ares

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I just figured out who those Riff troopers remind me of - the Batarians from the Mass Effect games.

The Riff look pretty sweet. But gently caress the Batarians. I dropped a massive rock on their homeworld for a reason.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It turns out that painting space marines is a great thing to do while listening to audio books that you have to read for a literature class. There's something about assembling a drop pod and listening to someone read aloud Frankenstein that just gets you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ilor posted:

I just figured out who those Riff troopers remind me of - the Batarians from the Mass Effect games.

The Riff look pretty sweet. But gently caress the Batarians. I dropped a massive rock on their homeworld for a reason.

They remind me of Rogue Trooper. Which isnt a bad thing: more stuff should be 2000AD inspired.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

It turns out that painting space marines is a great thing to do while listening to audio books that you have to read for a literature class. There's something about assembling a drop pod and listening to someone read aloud Frankenstein that just gets you.

:agreed: I've listened to many of Asimov's books ever since I've started painting again. I listened through my online course lectures while painting -it's fantastic.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Star Man posted:

I've always found putting minis together to be the most relaxing part of the hobby, really. Cleaning them is a bit of a pain, and painting can be fun but sometimes you have to get into a flow with a particular figure before it really gets enjoyable. But the moment in between cleanup and painting, where you start putting the figure together, is oddly calming in a way (barring the occasional superglued finger or part that doesn't want to stay where you put it).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

Finished 12th legion Sicaran:

I'll spare this thread the lore. Feedback appreciated.

I can't quite get your composition? Technically the mud is very nicely done, as is the blood and paint chipping. Taken together, however, the paint scheme looks all over the place like the weathering was applied without much consideration of how it actually got there.

Eg: there's a ton of mud on top of the driver's cupola, but nothing on the sides, or the level surfaces immediately adjacent to it. Same thing with the mud on the tracks - the tracks are extremely muddy, but the adjacent armor plates are nearly pristine white.

With weathering I feel you really need to tell a story - this tank just drove through a muddy battlefield - stick mud all around the front and bottom. Don't weather the top as heavily unless you're trying to make it look like the tank just drove through a wall. Similarly with the blood - it looks like the tank just got into a fight with opponents armed with blood filled waterballoons. How did one guy get splatted on the top? There are many possible explanations in 40k but you gotta tell the viewer somehow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine the World Eaters threw bodies and limbs onto it with an intuitive understanding that blood makes something they like (but don't understand yet) very happy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

I imagine the World Eaters threw bodies and limbs onto it with an intuitive understanding that blood makes something they like (but don't understand yet) very happy.

I imagine they played racquetball against it, but with the bodies of dudes they killed.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Just a quick WIP of my Great Unclean One conversion. He's been an absolute joy to paint and I'll probably finish him by tomorrow.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wow, that thing is looking sick so far, "sick" being the most Nurgle-appropriate synonym for :krad:, of course.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hot drat that shading is incredible.

:wow:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So my I gave my dad this kit for Father's Day and he knows nothing about warhams but I'm trying to get him to paint more than just WW2 miniatures. He finished it the other day and here it is:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Tell your dad he's awesome.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
JFC your dad is loving baller.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Have your dad enter the Golden Daemon or Crystal Brush. 'Cause, he's reeeeal good.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Rurea posted:

So my I gave my dad this kit for Father's Day and he knows nothing about warhams but I'm trying to get him to paint more than just WW2 miniatures. He finished it the other day and here it is:

i wanna hi5 your dad real hard

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Thanks for the compliments guys I'll pass them on. He has literally boxes full of gold medals and other awards from model shows, so I don't know if I could convince him to go after a crystal brush.
Here's his blog where he posts most of his work, just dont e-stalk me please: http://custmini.blogspot.com/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Rurea posted:

So my I gave my dad this kit for Father's Day...
:stwoon:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Thanks for the compliments guys I'll pass them on. He has literally boxes full of gold medals and other awards from model shows, so I don't know if I could convince him to go after a crystal brush.
Here's his blog where he posts most of his work, just dont e-stalk me please: http://custmini.blogspot.com/

I looked at this page and died, posting from hell

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Holy poo poo! How many years has he been painting? I'll feel better if you say 35.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:hellyeah:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

Holy poo poo! How many years has he been painting? I'll feel better if you say 35.

His 60th birthday is next month and he has been painting and building scale models since he was a kid.
Speaking of, I'll probably buy him another warham to paint up for his birthday, any suggestions?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rurea posted:

Good loving lord this is some gorgeous work.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

His 60th birthday is next month and he has been painting and building scale models since he was a kid.
Speaking of, I'll probably buy him another warham to paint up for his birthday, any suggestions?

Oh that's great, I still have 29 years to hit that skill level.
I'm not a ham guy, so I suggest one of Scale 75's fancy figures.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If he's into painting military models, it seems like a no-brainer to get him some Imperium stuff, like a Leman Russ

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SRM posted:

Yeah, no kidding. Pleas gift him Mortarion or Ferrus Manus.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rurea posted:

Well, if it might sway him, the top prize in Crystal Brush is $10,000. I don't know anyone who couldn't use $10K.

Regardless, he's an outstanding painter and I hope he does more 40K stuff. A WIP log showing some steps and/or explaining his process would be awesome. It looks like he uses an airbrush, and it would be great to get any tips he can offer.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's tough competition on the page with Rurea's dad, but I finished painting my Sicaran! This is another one of those models I'd been eyeing for a long, long time, but after seeing a bunch in the flesh (well, resin) I had to pick one up! Here's my Sicaran Battle tank:

I really loved painting this thing, and there's something gratifying about spending hours doing countless thin coats of white only to splatter mud all over them!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Z the IVth posted:

I can't quite get your composition? Technically the mud is very nicely done, as is the blood and paint chipping. Taken together, however, the paint scheme looks all over the place like the weathering was applied without much consideration of how it actually got there.

Eg: there's a ton of mud on top of the driver's cupola, but nothing on the sides, or the level surfaces immediately adjacent to it. Same thing with the mud on the tracks - the tracks are extremely muddy, but the adjacent armor plates are nearly pristine white.

With weathering I feel you really need to tell a story - this tank just drove through a muddy battlefield - stick mud all around the front and bottom. Don't weather the top as heavily unless you're trying to make it look like the tank just drove through a wall. Similarly with the blood - it looks like the tank just got into a fight with opponents armed with blood filled waterballoons. How did one guy get splatted on the top? There are many possible explanations in 40k but you gotta tell the viewer somehow.

Driving through walls was the story, but I agree with your feedback. Mostly, I wanted to keep the sides clear to show off the badges, etc. I think with my next tank, I'll take this feedback into account with how I put it together. This is my first time weathering a model of this size and only my second weathering anything, so I went overboard to try things out. So, next model I'll focus on composition.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

:agreed:, although all of those WIP shots he has where the face is primed and only the eyes and little bit of the skin around them are done creep me right the gently caress out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rurea posted:

God :drat: his work is just incredible. Tell him he has a forum full of fans now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

It's tough competition on the page with Rurea's dad, but I finished painting my Sicaran! This is another one of those models I'd been eyeing for a long, long time, but after seeing a bunch in the flesh (well, resin) I had to pick one up! Here's my Sicaran Battle tank:

I really loved painting this thing, and there's something gratifying about spending hours doing countless thin coats of white only to splatter mud all over them!

You're a machine, man. I'm loving the 30K stuff.

Paint recipe question: I really need to get this poo poo off my shelves and paint my Blood Angels., once and for all. I'm looking for a good BA recipe for airbrush. I swear that I had found something on YouTube a long time ago that started with a brown and worked up to red, but I cannot find it any more. Does anyone have some good colors or a tutorial for a good BA color?