Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Dolce is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Margaret

Because she apparently scolds Porcoline when necessary.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Dolce

If only because I already married Forte in my game

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Margaret

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Alavaria posted:

Margaret

Because she apparently scolds Porcoline when necessary.

so, never?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Dolce. Just to saddle you with Pico as well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Dolce. Not far off from a strange fetish caricature.

Margaret is the one who comes closest to being an actual person instead of an amalgam of kinks, and that's saying a lot considering she's an elf. The only sensible choice.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I choose Margaret, hoping that your offspring comes out looking like Porcoline.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Margaret, because she makes me laugh and her outfit is both amazing and insane.

Mzbundifund posted:

I choose Margaret, hoping that your offspring comes out looking like Porcoline.

Sadly he's more like a pseudo-adoptive father. Just keep feeding the kid and maybe it'll work though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'll actually switch my vote to Margaret because bards are cool and I forgot that's what she was.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Dolce

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Margaret, because she can air guitar. :rock:

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Dolce because her dungeon was my favorite.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I guess most Clorica fans are sleeping.
Oh well.
One for Clorica

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh hey. Looks like one of those kings came through for her. How about that?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

JamMasterJim posted:

I guess most Clorica fans are sleeping.
Oh well.
One for Clorica

James, my dear, you can't marry the help. It's so... so gauche!

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
I was going to vote Forte, but Dolce and Margaret are in the lead, and I'm selfish and don't want it to be Dolce because I want to romance her in my own game.

So, Margaret.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to throw a vote Forte's way.
It's a shame that the bachelors suck this much in this game.

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
Been mostly lurking this thread but will come out of lurkdom to throw in another vote for Forte.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Try Talking to Everybody and Going Everywhere

So, you and I know where the next rune sphere is, because I posted a picture of it as a reminder in the last update. But Art only has vague ideas, because he’s not too bright. So we’re gonna have to try an old RPG standby: run around and talk to everybody.

Oh yeah, it’s also the middle of a loving hurricane right now. Bad for the fields, meaningless for everything else until act 2.

I'm sorry, I've never heard of it.

That was unhelpful.

Venti still isn’t doing so hot, unfortunately. And so she’s unhelpful.

I don't think Jones has ever given me a gem like that.

It's not a gem. It's called a Rune Sphere...

Rune Sphere? Can't say I've heard of that.

Also unhelpful.

She's unsure how to deal with this new time, and how best to interact with everyone. But I'm sure she'll be okay. She's a kind girl at heart, and I know everyone here will understand that.

Not remotely what I was asking about Doc. Stop dipping into your own stash.

But as long as the subject has been brought up, maybe we should learn a bit about the new girl. Especially since a large voting block has formed around her.

I think they were going for goth, but missed and landed on "Victorian cosplaying elf who fell into a basement full of Halloween decorations".

In fact, a prime example of this now lives in their castle as a guest of honor!

I guess you could say that, yeah.

Oh...

Hm? What's wrong?

It's nothing.

"Milady didn't mean to insult. She was actually trying to pay you a compliment. She meant to say this is a wonderful town full of people who gladly accept even strangers."

This is Dolce’s schtick. She doesn’t like to openly express her feelings, so Pico translates her attempts at cool brevity. With varying levels of accuracy. Back in my day we used to just call this tsundere, but the internet reliably informs me that this particular variation is called kuudere. Because Japan.

Look, this is the sequel to a game where a girl declared her love for somebody by wishing for a tornado to carry him away, RF4 character gimmicks are tame by comparison.

Oh?

It isn't that I'm overwhelmed by how kind everyone has been. I was just thinking this is a nice, peaceful place. That's all.

"Seriously! All this time and you still can't say what you truly mean. Oh well. Thank you for accepting us, and we're looking forward to getting to know everyone better."

Same here!

...It's a pleasure.

"Oh, be still my ghostly heart! That shy glance! That pale, rosy blush...! Dolly, are you trying to send me to the afterlife?!"

Also, Pico is madly in love with her. And attached to her at the hip, so any sexual relationship with Dolce automatically comes with a voyeur (or a ghostly three-way).

The afterlife. Some other world. I don't care, just get lost.

And from there, segued into a completely different conversation.

What?

Um, I just wanted to check and see if you were getting along with everyone...

Not really. I haven't talked with many of them.

"Because you don't want to get in their way while they're working. Isn't that right, milady!"

...For some of them, maybe.

"Goodness, Dolly. You worry about too many things."

Okay, informative, but unhelpful. Back to interrogations!

Also unhelpful.

I took a break to smash some rocks. During the storm. I managed to get not just one, but two of the rarer mining items, a big crystal. This requires a very high forging/crafting skill to use in upgrades, but it adds 40 attack, which is pretty nice at this point.

But there’s still rune spheres to find!

A blue gem, you say? Hmm... I have no idea, I'm afraid. But there's a traveler in our lobby who was talking about a blue gem, I believe.

This actually is helpful! Just not yet. The game expects me to collect these things in order.

Would I tell you if I had Doug? Would I really?

No, it's a shining stone.

I've heard Dylas say that he's seen it. So, is it edible?

No.

Alright, we’ve got a lead!

Out of protection for your delicate sensibilities, I chose not to ambush Dylas while he was taking a bath.

...Oh, I might've seen it at Water Ruins.

Why there?

...I just wanted to try a new place for fishing. I know it's dangerous... but I couldn’t resist. Fishing's not only about the fish itself, but finding the right spots to catch 'em, you know? Deciding what bait to use, and where to throw it... It's all part of the fun of the sport!

NO! You don't understand anything! You see?! So what you need when fishing--

The man enjoys his hobby passionately. I’m going somewhere else far away now.

Water Ruins seems far enough away.

Dylas in fact never told him where to look. Art’s just psychic.

It seemed a little odd to me the first time I played that the game provided a save point next to this stairway leading to a room with a chest, a weird blue stone, and nothing else.

Makes a lot more sense now!

Here we have Chimera, a master of elements. He can blow bubbles at me…

Shoot water lasers… and he also breathes fire, but I didn’t time the shot right.

My reward?

That was totally worth coming down here and fighting an easy boss.

Oh right, I also grabbed the rune sphere.

Nothing happened when I just held it at Yokmir Forest either... At that time, I dropped the Rune Sphere because the Chipsqueek jumped on me... so maybe... I'm supposed to place them where the Guardians were found. I should first go to the place where I saved Dylas.

Alright, it’s worth a shot. Probably better than forcing it down Venti’s throat.

Good news! It’s a suppository.

No.

They even gave me a big red marker to tell me where to put it.

And then there was an interruption.

drat! You already found the second one?!

Doug…

Listen up! I won't let you win!

And then he ran off. He’s really bad at this being enemies thing.

... I guess I should just try to find the next Rune Sphere as soon as possible.

...I should go back to town first and ask around. Someone might have an idea.

If you think you have an idea, you can wander around to your heart’s content, but the correct answer is to go back to the inn.

...Oh!

Do you have any leads?!

I think one of the customers was talking about one... Although I'm not sure if it's the gem you're looking for.

Where is that customer?

I think he's hanging around in the lobby.

And we have a lead!

I’m actually getting useful information out of a nameless faceless NPC. How bizarre.

Yeah, listen up! I got it. I had the blue gem right in my hands.It was the most beautiful gem I ever done seen. So I just had a feeling...I knew it was worth somethin'.

Oh no! Did you sell it?

No, I didn't... Sadly, after finally stumblin' on a real treasure, I lost it, just like that. A monster done took it from me!

A monster, huh...?

Of course, I ran after it. But it went into a cave. And there were so many monsters in there that I couldn't follow it no more... *SIGH* So I just came back with my tears... Darned shame, it was.

Can you tell me where that cave is located?

Pass the bridge in the south o' Obsidian Mansion an' you'll get to Autumn Road. Always autumn there. That's where the cave is. There's a huge stump near the cave, so you can use that as a landmark.

Another bridge. I guess Volkanon is earning his paycheck these days.

Wait, you plan on goin' there? I'll tell you one thing. You'd better give it up! There were monsters everywhere. You wouldn't last a minute! You'll be dead before you even get your bearings. ...I'm so disappointed I let it slip through my hands... What a waste.
What a waste! I coulda sold it for so much...

He’s not wrong. The next dungeon is a monster filled hellhole.

This is what my field looks like after the storm. If you actually care about what you have planted, storms are kind of a disaster.

Or, you know, maybe somebody else cleared the rockslide.

Very first section of Autumn Road dumps a chest full of money at my feet. I’m not gonna complain.

There's a cave nearby.

Which I’m going to ignore, because explorin’ stuff.

My first earth elemental spell, Screw Rock. This one has about the same range and attack speed as a slow weapon like a hammer or axe, but it’s useful to have if you spend all your time in melee range anyway.

I can slaughter the native cat people of this area for their claws. I needed one to make my next tier of gloves. And I need that next tier, because everything here is a thousand times harder. The difficulty jump I mentioned starts now.

Looks like Volkanon needs to build more bridges. But I got the starting dark spell, Dark Ball. It’s big, slow, and hard to hit things with. Not really my bag.

Did you ask for giant mushroom enemies with poison gas cloud attacks? Because I certainly didn’t.

This screen has the most RP restoring crystals of any area in the world. In the late-game, I will be farming this screen every single day for late-game crafting materials that only drop from those crystals.

I could totally skip ahead to the second dungeon of act 2. It would be an absolutely terrible idea, but there’s nothing stopping me except my own inability to survive there.

Okay, maybe just a quick run into the first screen to grab herbs. There’s no monsters on this screen anyway.

But this is the real prize of Autumn Road. Just south of that sign indicating the way to Maya Road we have the Autumn Field. A beautiful 12x8 always-autumn field. And autumn is the best season for growing a variety of useful crops. On the left of the field is a large patch of stumps and logs that regenerate every day. On the right is a cluster of mineral rocks, dropping the new tier of metal, silver.

What the hell is it about designing RPGs that leads people to think silver and gold are good metals to make weapons and farm tools from?

Oh, also, tonight’s the Firefly Festival. This is a festival for couples only, and Art is living the swinging bachelor life, so we’ll ignore this until next year.

It suddenly occurred to Clorica that maybe Art might not like being woken up at 6AM by an attractive woman. So he has the option to cancel the wake-up call now. Over time I’ll also unlock the options to have Vishnal or Pico wake me up. Because that’s what a man wants to see every morning, right?

I don’t show a lot of requests these days, because they’re mostly either dull, repeats, or stuff I can’t do yet. Dolce wants a moondrop flower, this is a very easy thing to accomplish.

In return, she gives me a heart pendent. They’re easy to craft, except for requiring an incredibly difficult to find heart crystal. Now I don’t have to worry about it. The pendent gives a massive boost to all skill experience I get while wearing it. It’s critically important for maxing out crafting skills.

She’s a little reserved, but not a bad person.

NEXT TIME:

Not the Delirium Lava Ruins. I need to prepare a little for that hellhole.

Current up to date vote count:
Amber 1
Clorica 1
Dolce 11
Forte 6
Margaret 14
Xiao Pai 1

Margaret is in the lead, Dolce could pull ahead still, and there’s always the chance of a surge bringing Forte to the front. Nobody else is really in the running anymore.

Voting still ends with the end of Act 1. We have one more major dungeon and one short minor dungeon left to go. But also an absurdly long sidetrek wherein I’ll introduce you all to the wonders of curry.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 1, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

This screen has the most RP restoring crystals of any area in the world. In the late-game, I will be farming this screen every single day for late-game crafting materials that only drop from those crystals.
There is actually a much better way to get way more of them very easily. However, the method to do so isn't available until act 3. Technically you could do it in act 2, but the monsters in Leon Karnak will eat you alive at that point. There is a bird icon in Sano and Uno's room you can search. Most of the time it contains Material Stones or Light Crystals, but rarely it'll spit out Rune Crystals for the entire day.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 1, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This new area is basically the game bonking you on the head and reminding you to stay current on crafting. It's really obvious about it too, even aside from the difficulty spike. Fire dungeon, sudden availability of water weapons. Hint hint.

Truthkeeper posted:

...I just wanted to try a new place for fishing. I know it's dangerous... but I couldn’t resist. Fishing's not only about the fish itself, but finding the right spots to catch 'em, you know? Deciding what bait to use, and where to throw it... It's all part of the fun of the sport!
That should be Dylas' portrait.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
I was on the fence about voting until this update, but Dolce knows the real way to a video gamer's heart is to help him powergame. :allears:

Well, that and:

Dylas being nuts about fishing does seem to cinch the theory he was originally cat-themed and they switched to the horse later (maybe for variety or somebody already designed a horse as a boss fight?).

I'm still streaming RF3*, and Hard mode is hard enough I've really had to lean on magic until I starting really focusing on crafting (to stack up lots of defense on at least 1 or 2 of the accessory slots) and getting a lot of the passive bonuses from skills. So I have a soft spot for Dark Ange-- er, Orb, since that was the key to my first successful run through Oddward Valley, just bowling over enemies in those long narrow screens.

* I was going to get onto you about spoiling part of the endgame from a post a few months back, but I already got spoiled on it trying to see how the "Unity Festival" worked after one of the chatters asked about it. Internet, why :negative:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I'll throw my vote in for Dolce

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So is the chimera a respawning boss like the others?

Truthkeeper posted:

I'm actually getting useful information out of a name faceless NPC.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I like that Chimera's model is pretty much the same as the Rune Factory 1 one, but polished to hell and back so he doesn't look like a vague mass of jagged blobs anymore.

Does he still do that bullshit thing where he chases you around the room for eternity until you let his attack animation go off?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm going to go with Dolce, because she's who I would've gone after if I hadn't made the mistake of playing as a girl in my own game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whoever wins, the Elves win.

e: fitting, considering our "rival" is a dwarf

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I also vote for Dolce since she's who I'm going for in my game. Though now maybe I'll pursue Forte...

So, last time I played this game I got stuck after the next dungeon. I thought I had beaten the game and didn't know where to go next, since Maya Road beat my rear end into the ground and back.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Whoever wins, the Elves win.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that the game never actually says she's an elf. She's got the pointy ears, so I just assumed, but I suppose she could just as easily be a female dwarf. But it's not very likely.

Aesclepia posted:

I also vote for Dolce since she's who I'm going for in my game. Though now maybe I'll pursue Forte...

So, last time I played this game I got stuck after the next dungeon. I thought I had beaten the game and didn't know where to go next, since Maya Road beat my rear end into the ground and back.

If you thought you had beaten the game, then I'm guessing you probably completed the Floating Empire dungeon and defeated the Emperor. If it rolled the credits again, you would know for sure. That's the end of act 2, and getting act 3 to start is a right pain in the rear end since it's dependent on RNG. If you don't know there's a third act, it's very easy to think the game ends there.

LordHippoman posted:

I like that Chimera's model is pretty much the same as the Rune Factory 1 one, but polished to hell and back so he doesn't look like a vague mass of jagged blobs anymore.

Does he still do that bullshit thing where he chases you around the room for eternity until you let his attack animation go off?

Oh no, they improved the AI of all the bosses they reused in this game (which is nearly every boss in the series if you include the bonus dungeon, almost all with updated sprites). Chimera's trick is having wide-area attacks and a narrow room to try and dodge them in.

Zagglezig posted:

So is the chimera a respawning boss like the others?

Yes he most certainly is, and those claws will stay relevant for the rest of act 1 and the beginning of act 2. Dead Tree is as well, with the trick being that he and Ambrosia share the same room so you go in, kill one, leave, come back, and kill the other. Except Dead Tree has no interesting drops at this point, so he's just there to be killed for prince points.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, I don't remember if RF3 had any Elves. Or at least nobody mentioned their race that I remember. There's certainly non-humans.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Daria is an elf (and also might be Margaret's sister).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cattail Prophet posted:

Daria is an elf (and also might be Margaret's sister).

Then I'm kinda glad she's not winning right now. drat 'Rainbow!' still haunts my dreams.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember if RF3 had any Elves. Or at least nobody mentioned their race that I remember. There's certainly non-humans.

Daria was an elf, Pia was a mermaid, Gaius and Zaid were both dwarfs. I still don't understand why somebody who looks human but has pointy ears is perfectly welcome, but if you look perfectly human except for a horn coming out of your head you're a horrifying monster. There's a lot I don't get about RF3's plot.

And it's true, Margaret is Daria's sister (who was taken in by Porcoline for poorly defined reasons, but it helps to remember that Porcoline is the ultimate human-elf diplomat, in addition to being an incredible cook, running a powerful import-export empire, and coming from old money). If you start dating her she gains a rainbow themed super-heal that she shouts "Bravo!" to activate. And she shouts that a lot anyway.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hey, any chance you could throw some sort of 'generic NPC' headshot in for that one useful NPC? Right now that bit looks kind of awkward.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Lost cause, gently caress it. Forte

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Well, not that it will amount to much but I'm throwing a vote in for Xiao Pai - for two reasons, really. I think she's kinda cute, but also as revenge for the game not letting us date her mother.

Now if only there were an option to date Illumina... WE COULD HAVE HAD DETECTIVE DATES, GAME. DETECTIVE DATES!

I am still so miffed about that.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 14, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Every RF game has at least one eligible-seeming character you're unable to date for no apparent reason. It's the law.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Illumina even tells you that she's single if your friendship levels are high enough, at this point it's gotta be some sort of weird developer reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Illumina even tells you that she's single if your friendship levels are high enough, at this point it's gotta be some sort of weird developer reason

Correction; she -complains- about being single. It really feels like a weird last minute decision almost.

• Locked thread