Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you want to make an argument about cost of living, you shouldn't be in USA, you should be in china

oh wait we are :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Great Autismo! posted:

of course I'm talking about places to visit and things to see inside the state, I'm not judging ohio based on your basement or your living room

i mean if you have a cool basement and a great STEAM set up on your desktop and a fridge full of beer, of course that is cool. but that is not ohio. that is your basement.

are you making a facepalm ranger argument ironically or what

But Ohio is America's dingy creeper basement, so you're not missing out on anything by not leaving your basement hovel.

In fact, for living in Ohio (especially God forbid a rural shithole like SE Ohio Portsmouth :gonk:) it's practically recommended to never leave the comforts of your blue-lit nerd dungeon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

if you want to make an argument about cost of living, you shouldn't be in USA, you should be in china

oh wait we are :hfive:

dat's true :hfive:

I do miss diversity though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
by diversity in ohio do you mean the diversity in overweight, fat and obese?

im sorry i've really let ohio have it today, raising my beer to you

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phone posted:

You were playing stateside with a 4th Stage machine? I played that back when I was in high school a decade ago.

I just Googled it, and drat you're right. I thought that was the new one, they had an older Initial D 3 version with the rocking car in the back. And this is at Gameworks. God drat, Ohio really is behind the curve on everything, isn't it? :negative:

Fun Ohio fact: Mark Twain had this to say about Ohio/Cincinnati back in the 1800s:

"CINCINNATI. "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

It's still relevant today! :v:

E: Also seconding that Initial D is fun as poo poo. I used to not be into driving games much before, but after doing valet for a year and driving a variety of cars I've gotten really into driving and nerding out about cars, so the rest is history. :v: Speedy, speed boy!

Speaking of cars and Japan, are the automotive laws and regulations really that strict in Japan? You couldn't just ship over your American Ford Mustang muscle car even if you had the financial means for it because of import/export laws?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

by diversity in ohio do you mean the diversity in overweight, fat and obese?

im sorry i've really let ohio have it today, raising my beer to you

I mean the people from all over the world. I grew up with Arab and Chinese friends and didn't actually know any white kids until I started school. Going down to the Asian grocery store (which randomly had two Mexican aisles among all the Chinese stuff) was a normal thing, as was begging for snacks at the Lebanese restaurant on the corner. Our new neighbors when I was back are Turkish-Russian and their kids all are native fluent in four languages. The closest church was Korean and my extended Ohio family has at least a dozen nationalities in it. The Syrian cousins rolling into town was always a good time.

I went to an extremely white rich kid university and it was quite the shock.

E: A magical place in Ohio. http://www.junglejims.com/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean the people from all over the world. I grew up with Arab and Chinese friends and didn't actually know any white kids until I started school. Going down to the Asian grocery store (which randomly had two Mexican aisles among all the Chinese stuff) was a normal thing, as was begging for snacks at the Lebanese restaurant on the corner. Our new neighbors when I was back are Turkish-Russian and their kids all are native fluent in four languages. The closest church was Korean and my extended Ohio family has at least a dozen nationalities in it. The Syrian cousins rolling into town was always a good time.

i knew what you meant, i was just kidding.

i went to middle school and high school in fairfax county, i totally get the diversity stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm mostly bored and trying to avoid finishing this work I need to do, so if I don't seriouspost I have nothing to say and then I have to do things that are important.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Came here thinking i'd see 60 new posts about milk bars and instead here I am reading about Ohio gently caress you thread

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Came here thinking i'd see 60 new posts about milk bars and instead here I am reading about Ohio gently caress you thread

Our work here is complete, gentlemen.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

I went to an extremely white rich kid university and it was quite the shock.

E: A magical place in Ohio. http://www.junglejims.com/

:allears:

If you're still referring to an Ohio school, then we may very well have gone to the same university.

Also, Jungle Jim's is extremely the poo poo and one of the few redeeming factors about living in Ohio.

:iamafag:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 29, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:allears:

If you're still referring to an Ohio school, then we may very well have gone to the same university.

Also, Jungle Jim's is extremely the poo poo and one of the few redeeming factors about living in Ohio.

Entirely possible. When I graduated they had gotten from 97 to 94% white and were very proud of their new diversity.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

as china goons, in keeping with the spirit of our country :china:, we feel the need to show up in other threads for asian countries now and again and completely poo poo it up and ruin it for everyone else

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

Entirely possible. When I graduated they had gotten from 97 to 94% white and were very proud of their new diversity.

In that case, I still feel resentment over Paul D. Ryan as an alumnus. As an aside, I interned in DC for a summer school program and when our school group toured the Capitol building, he had his earbuds in and walked right past us without even so much as a hello. Prick.

Anyways, less Ohio chat and more Japan chat.

So, uh, how 'bout them ramen bowls?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Japan thread has been an integral part of the China thread for 5,000 years, please do not interfere in our domestic affairs

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Are there milk bars in Ohio?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If the internet is correct that milk bar is a place that sells ice cream/shakes and stuff then yes, there's a chain called UDF that sounds like the same thing.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse states: New Jersey, Delaware, both Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, both Dakotas, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii (last three get a tourism exemption, I mean to live in), Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky.

I would rather live in any of these states instead of Ohio, besides maybe Kansas but who actually even lives there? I have literally never heard anyone say they'd like to relocate to Ohio, whereas I've heard it many times for a number of the states you listed.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

hot sauce posted:

I would rather live in any of these states instead of Ohio, besides maybe Kansas but who actually even lives there? I have literally never heard anyone say they'd like to relocate to Ohio, whereas I've heard it many times for a number of the states you listed.

I don't think anyone ever says they'd like to relocate to Ohio, just that they have to for a lucrative job opportunity/cheaper cost of living or to build up their resume with easier work opportunities before getting the hell out and moving to the coasts (as God intended).

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Hate to break up Ohio chat.-
My last week of October trip is back on- Is there an official JR pass site that I should be getting my tickets from, or are they all just authorized resellers? I was thinking of hitting up Hiroshima and Kyoto instead of hovering around Tokyo the whole time.
Any goons up to go out drinking/eating the week between Oct 22 and 28? I got midnight flights into and out of Tokyo, so I got time to kill.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jtb-USA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, I voted for the correct answer in the thread poll, which is of course Goku. :goku:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've wanted to try living in Japan for a while, and after returning from a 6 week trip I've decided to finally move forward with that idea. The problem is that I'm a 26 year old American (which means no working holiday) with no college degree (which means that my chances of getting a visa are almost zero), so my options are limited. After thinking about it for a little bit, I've been entertaining the idea of going to a Japanese university. I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone - living in Japan for a few years and also finally getting a degree.

I'm pretty good at the language, though I'm hesitant to call myself fluent. I've been studying for six years, passed the N2 three years ago, and will take the N1 this December, which I'm confident I'll be able to pass. I think (but am not certain) I'd be able to take classes in only Japanese, but I've also seen programs at Japanese colleges that offer classes entirely in English. Money for tuition and living expenses won't be a problem. I'm not sure how tough entrance exams will be, but since I taught myself Japanese well enough, I feel like I'd be able to teach myself well enough to pass them. How realistic is this, and how bad of an idea is it? Are there any other choices for me other than the comedy option of "find a Japanese wife"?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

China posters contaminating Japan.

Great job!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

as china goons, in keeping with the spirit of our country :china:, we feel the need to show up in other threads for asian countries now and again and completely poo poo it up and ruin it for everyone else

Do you know that Japanese people understand 你好?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Spoggerific posted:

I've wanted to try living in Japan for a while, and after returning from a 6 week trip I've decided to finally move forward with that idea. The problem is that I'm a 26 year old American (which means no working holiday) with no college degree (which means that my chances of getting a visa are almost zero), so my options are limited. After thinking about it for a little bit, I've been entertaining the idea of going to a Japanese university. I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone - living in Japan for a few years and also finally getting a degree.

I'm pretty good at the language, though I'm hesitant to call myself fluent. I've been studying for six years, passed the N2 three years ago, and will take the N1 this December, which I'm confident I'll be able to pass. I think (but am not certain) I'd be able to take classes in only Japanese, but I've also seen programs at Japanese colleges that offer classes entirely in English. Money for tuition and living expenses won't be a problem. I'm not sure how tough entrance exams will be, but since I taught myself Japanese well enough, I feel like I'd be able to teach myself well enough to pass them. How realistic is this, and how bad of an idea is it? Are there any other choices for me other than the comedy option of "find a Japanese wife"?

Comedy option is to learn some programming skills or be some sort of sysadmin where no one wants to interact with you

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
lmao at someone arguing that Tucson loving Arizona is a place that should not be summarily obliterated smdh

lmao at someone arguing that Skyline Chili is an argument FOR Ohio smdh

lmao at someone arguing that it is ok or reasonable or good to book travel that lays over in China smdh

Thank you thread you have been very amusing

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The most action this thread has seen in years is a bunch of clowns painfully deconstructing the Friends plot arc where Chandler is tricked into moving to Toledo.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The most action this thread has seen in years is a bunch of clowns painfully deconstructing the Friends plot arc where Chandler is tricked into moving to Toledo.

Tulsa?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

the biggest joke of it all is that i was working so i got paid to sit around and make my arguments and then spent another 45 minutes with a coworker creating a hierarchy of states in the united states

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Remember that time that friends was super popular in China and not blocked online, so people put new voiceovers over the old sound describing Tiananmen square and how the Chinese government killed people?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Japan: That place where Ohio is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CrazySalamander posted:

Japan: That place where Ohio is.

They loving love the place, like everyone says it to you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

the biggest joke of it all is that i was working so i got paid to sit around and make my arguments and then spent another 45 minutes with a coworker creating a hierarchy of states in the united states

I was also being paid to shitpost, but I was sitting at home on paid vacation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm gonna be visiting the family in the US next month and I need to pick up omiyage. What with living here, I kinda forget what people might want from here. Do any of y'all have suggestions?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Punyo in the chimpo

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Stringent posted:

I'm gonna be visiting the family in the US next month and I need to pick up omiyage. What with living here, I kinda forget what people might want from here. Do any of y'all have suggestions?

I can only speak for my family, but they love the limited-time Kitkat flavors and green tea-flavored anything.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I guess I should have mentioned, we've been doing kitkats and candy for years and years now.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My family went crazy for tokyo banana when I came back from a trip to Japan, but then again you've probably also done this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Making some progress at least, gonna bring some tako wasabi this year.