Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The evil teams have been getting progressively stupider motivations as the series has gone on. Well, I guess Plasma's 'pokemon should be free/all belong to me' is less dumb that magma/water one/galactic's respective plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, team Flare wanted to kill all humans AND all of the Pokemon because only Team Flare deserves to survive.

Team Flare were a bunch of genocidal douche bags, and their leader was basically just Hitler with worse hair.

And yet the game kept trying to get you to sympathize with him and feel sorry for him, it was weird.

Hey now, Lysandre definitely had better hair than Hitler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Bf7roDli8

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Fuy24kTdE

One Punch Man opening recreated in the style of the original amateur webcomic because why the hell not

this is a pro click

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mikedawson posted:

It's actually got a small cult following due to LP's of it by supergreatfriend, the Giant Bomb crew, and Super Best Friends Play.

He's a collection of fanart that was made for the sgf thread. (Has some spoilers)

Cool. I've actually seen the SBFP LP of it, which is why I know it exists at all.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
needs more weird

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

No, team Flare wanted to kill all humans AND all of the Pokemon because only Team Flare deserves to survive.

Team Flare were a bunch of genocidal douche bags, and their leader was basically just Hitler with worse hair.

And yet the game kept trying to get you to sympathize with him and feel sorry for him, it was weird.

To me it felt less like the game was trying to get me to sympathize with him and more like it was just deliberately painting him as a self absorbed piece of poo poo who refuses to see anything but the lovely worldview he himself made up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I need to play more LISA again. Pain mode is fun :kheldragar:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sinners Sandwich posted:

One Punch Man opening recreated in the style of the original amateur webcomic because why the hell not

loving amazing :allears:

Pomp posted:

this is a pro click

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Solar Tornado posted:

needs more weird

i have a bone to pick with this jpg, and it is not a funny bone: it's the humerus

I'm So Sorry

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Hobo By Design posted:

i have a bone to pick with this jpg, and it is not a funny bone: it's the humerus

I'm So Sorry

From the looks of it he has no humerous. Judging from the picture Papyrus' arms are made of 4 Radius bones and 4 Ulna bones.

Skeletons need to be anatomically correct, bad fanart be damned! :skeltal:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Solar Tornado posted:

needs more weird

ok.

disclaimer: this last one is not fanart but still kinda weird.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The original comic if people haven't seen it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

At which point you remember who's side Japan was on during WW2, and all the nazi fetishism in anime, and conclude that we didn't drop enough A-Bombs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when did pokemon try to make you think lysandre was good/right, answer it didn't people are just weird and bad at reading scenes

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alaois posted:

when did pokemon try to make you think lysandre was good/right, answer it didn't people are just weird and bad at reading scenes

It's been a while since I played it, but there was a definite apoligetic tone "HE'S SO PASSIONATE!!" while he explains his plans to kill everyone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alaois posted:

I was specifically thinking of that one scene where he cries about having to kill so many people, and the shot just kind of lingers on his glittering tears like it's this tragically beautiful moment and all I can think is "oh gently caress you ginger Hitler"

Like, I get what they were going for: they wanted to create another sympathetic and morally ambiguous villain like N because N was really popular. But they made Lysandre's actions way too willfully evil for that and really should have had the protagonists call him out on his bullshit more aggressively.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
See, I figured they just went along with it because he and his team are so unapologetically fabulous.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

SirPhoebos posted:

At which point you remember who's side Japan was on during WW2, and all the nazi fetishism in anime, and conclude that we didn't drop enough A-Bombs.

Yeah 'cuz this is totally a reasonable reaction to this

Lysandre and X & Y's story in general is what is most easily identifiable as incompetent storytelling because I think you can go ahead and assume that the Pokemon Company isn't loving harboring nazi sympathizers you weirdos

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

SirPhoebos posted:

What the gently caress go home

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Hanlon's Razor, baby.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DaXJmo9cro

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SirPhoebos posted:

You can always tell someone's a dumb motherfucker when they use the "didn't nuke them enough" line in reference to japan

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

You can always tell someone's a dumb motherfucker when they use the "didn't nuke them enough" line in reference to japan

Especially when it's used in reference to japanese nerd culture, which clearly is representative of all of japan.

Just some serious

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Clearly we should nuke Japan more to get rid of their massive amounts of sexism and the horrible salaryman culture.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Shut gently caress up about nuking Japan, it's Miku's birthday for god's sake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nanomashoes posted:

Clearly we should nuke Japan more to get rid of their massive amounts of sexism and the horrible salaryman culture.

Wouldn't it be easier to let all the people still doing those jobs just die first and close that employment system by switching to automation in the next decade?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What's with Japanese idols and posing near oversized sweets

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Shut gently caress up about nuking Japan, it's Miku's birthday for god's sake.

It's just like Japan to worship a nine year old.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Well, I misremembered some X/Y motivations but I still read the leadership as some sort of weird death cult with most of the members being clueless about the organization's goals. Plus one of the Elite Four is a member and a driving media force, so I figured they were manipulating the narrative ala Fox.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not going to say anything about Japan in general, but anime is really bad.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I was specifically thinking of that one scene where he cries about having to kill so many people, and the shot just kind of lingers on his glittering tears like it's this tragically beautiful moment and all I can think is "oh gently caress you ginger Hitler"

Like, I get what they were going for: they wanted to create another sympathetic and morally ambiguous villain like N because N was really popular. But they made Lysandre's actions way too willfully evil for that and really should have had the protagonists call him out on his bullshit more aggressively.

Multiple NPCs say he's so wrapped up in his stupid plan he doesn't actually realize it would kill everyone. He explicitly says he wants to give humanity more land to live on, which makes it real loving obvious he doesn't think his plan would kill everyone.

It's so obvious what's going to happen that it's natural to assume those NPCs are deluding themselves and the guy really is kefka-style kill everyone insane, but that's when you have to remember: it's a drat Pokemon game. These games are so hamfisted and literal that if you read anything into a scene that some character doesn't explicitly tell you is the point, possibly multiple times, you're almost certainly barking up the wrong tree.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's so obvious what's going to happen that it's natural to assume those NPCs are deluding themselves and the guy really is kefka-style kill everyone insane, but that's when you have to remember: it's a drat Pokemon game. These games are so hamfisted and literal that if you read anything into a scene that some character doesn't explicitly tell you is the point, possibly multiple times, you're almost certainly barking up the wrong tree.

Which was why Ghetsis was the best antagonist, because he unlocked the greatest secret technique for being a villain:

Lying.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Why did the teams stop being gangsters and become terrorists? Team Rocket sounds so much better than this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Veotax posted:

Why did the teams stop being gangsters and become terrorists? Team Rocket sounds so much better than this poo poo.

Ruby and Sapphire started it with the whole land vs sea struggle (which was nuts), and ever since it's just been tyrannical weirdos

Team Skull in Sun and Moon look more like punks so hopefully their goals will be a bit more mundane.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Pokémon villains should be more like Goemon villains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJrnlFW4IMc

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, so kinda like Miror B. from Pokemon XD?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6TyuLHPts
The ludicolo dance to the beat of the music :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh, so kinda like Miror B. from Pokemon XD?

Not just that. Those two are doing their main performance on an island they took over, converted to a giant European-style theater using a device that exclusively does that, and moved the island to space, thus completing their master plan, while at the same time preparing their giant robot to battle the hero's giant robot who is also a stage performer.

In space.

I'm saying Pokémon should have more villains that do that stuff regularly.

• Locked thread