Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

Hey thread, since you find Torb so underpowered what would you do to boost him?

Realtalk, I'd probably do what Gnome suggested and replace the vestigial scrap mechanic with "throw armor pack on a cooldown" and bump Torb's own innate hitpoints to compensate for his sudden lack of ability to spam armor packs at his feet, I'd consider experimenting with adjusting the velocity of his gun's M1, and I might also consider seeing what would happen if you reduced the number of hammer swings necessary to put a level 2 turret up but increased the cooldown between turret deployments to compensate...in other words instead of five swings make it take three or something, still enough that Torb can't literally set up a level 2 turret in the middle of a firefight without being punished, but quicker to reposition when pressured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Macaluso posted:

So I guess boosting D.Va as she's entering her mech doesn't boost her mech at all.

D.Va is a pretty bad choice to boost anyway. Her damage doesn't multiply to that much, she'll still be slow when firing, and the nano-boost kind of pressures the D.Va player not to do important things like matrix or ult.

It's so much better to use it on a character who already has high damage to begin with, and whose own ult can actually be used in tandem with the boost.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 31, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I do wish that Blizzard would extend a couple of QoL improvements concerning the D.Va pilot/mech divide. Three times this evening I got rezzed as pilot D.Va and immediately got splattered before I could so much as attempt to find a corner to call the mech down safely. Same thing with nanoboosts, even if D.Va ain't a great target it sucks for two people when pilot D.Va gets boosted (why? Who knows) only to call the mech and whoops, so much for that ult.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The Ana ult needs some sort of rework, I've been accidentally boosted as Mercy too many times.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Ana ult needs some sort of rework, I've been accidentally boosted as Mercy too many times.

"git gud"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Targeting abilities like that in general can be kind of frustrating but I don't know exactly how they could improve it. I know it would be a tremendous benefit when trying to put barriers onto people with Zarya.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That's a feature, not a bug.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they wanted to avoid the wrong guy getting boosted, they could just make the nanoboost require you to hold the button down for a little bit. like it locks on to the person once you hit q but you need to hold it down for a second or two for it to go off; if you let go, the ult stops and you can pick another target

that'd probably make it a lot worse in practice tho since it'd be so much slower to actually use

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

Targeting abilities like that in general can be kind of frustrating but I don't know exactly how they could improve it. I know it would be a tremendous benefit when trying to put barriers onto people with Zarya.

Harmony orb needs to go on McRee RIGHT NOW!
*push E* Oh poo poo not the full health Tracer on the other side of him
*push E* No not the Roadhog that just walked into the fray
*push E* Finally!
*McRee dies*

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cirofren posted:

Harmony orb needs to go on McRee RIGHT NOW!
*push E* Oh poo poo not the full health Tracer on the other side of him
*push E* No not the Roadhog that just walked into the fray
*push E* Finally!
*McRee dies*

Remember how much worse it used to be when you could do this with nobody near the McCree and yet he'd still die anyway while Zen's orbs lazily flew through the air? Good times.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would personally want to see torb go more toward the gunslinger model by making level 1 turrets less of a complete joke, so if he's caught with his pants down by a flanker he can drop a level 1 and threaten from two angles

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SectumSempra posted:

I feel bitchy.

Maybe I'll just jump to PC, I just built my first computer and i may as well use my 1070 while it's relevant.

but you guys are complaining too, so is your quickplay as bad?

I did the move to PC, finally jumped into some QP matches today.

The quickplay matches I had on PC today were absolutely the worst matches I've ever had, but I couldn't get too mad about it because everyone was clearly all actually single digit experience players, and I've just never been able to carry so although I was able to teach a lot of hard lessons to offensive torbs and KOTH Symmetras, my teams didn't win as often as a team with a guy with like 50 more hours of experience than everyone else should have, which, was also embarrassing. But almost everyone stuck around and we played together for about an hour and the matches did get better as time moved on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DolphinCop posted:

i would personally want to see torb go more toward the gunslinger model by making level 1 turrets less of a complete joke, so if he's caught with his pants down by a flanker he can drop a level 1 and threaten from two angles

Yeah, as it stands right now the level 1 turret is basically just an extremely elaborate loading bar for The Turret Anyone Cares Even a Little About. It used to have more health back in the beta along with the level 2, but like Symmetra's E ability chunks of Torb's kit are basically holdovers from when he used to work differently (scrap used to be required to upgrade turrets in addition to armor, hence why it goes up to 200 even though there's no real need for it to). You could probably increase both its health and firing rate and it almost certainly wouldn't overpower him, but whether they'll actually do that remains to be seen (they won't).

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Someone mentioned how bad quick play was at the moment because primarily competitive mode people are in there to gently caress about during seasons, and I couldn't agree more. I get the appeal of learning new characters and stuff, but double (bad) Widow on offense on maps is loving grating.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

EMC posted:

Someone mentioned how bad quick play was at the moment because primarily competitive mode people are in there to gently caress about during seasons, and I couldn't agree more. I get the appeal of learning new characters and stuff, but double (bad) Widow on offense on maps is loving grating.

Oh man I hate to break it to you but that's not gonna stop when season 2 rolls around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it will because you can just play competitive instead of quick play and never see those people ever again

of course, hanzo+widow+ana teams are still totally possible but what can you do

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you actually want to give a tiny buff to Torb you can experiment with allowing him to deploy straight into level 2 if he has full scrap or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

have the level one deploy faster and make it automatically upgrade over time if it's at full health

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I had one of those games where I get backfilled to a game, see that my team has 3 widows and Ana, leave immediately. I hate it how the game gives me a random hero before I can press Esc/Leave game.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 31, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ahhpple posted:

Nothing, he's the kind of character that should remain bad forever

Yes

Characters a potato can pilot should not get the same returns as someone challenging.

People have this notion that "balance" means every character should be equally viable but it's important to have easy point-of-entry characters so more people can play the game, and it's just as important that those characters have less returns so there's reason to play the interesting, compelling characters that require a pulse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
In general as a Torbjorn player what I'd like as a buff is to start with enough scrap for three armor packs. Being able to drop a level 2 sentry without hammering before match start would be a good QoL improvement as well.

I have no illusions of him being brought up to a competitive level but some annoyance reduction would help.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I don't think it would be a buff to get rid of the scrap mechanic for a cooldown in armor packs. It's great being able to drop a ton and survive poo poo you never should be able to. I do agree that maybe you should start with some scrap

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it will because you can just play competitive instead of quick play and never see those people ever again

of course, hanzo+widow+ana teams are still totally possible but what can you do

It's a game you can have fun and roll with it? If the matches are really that bad it will reinstance and you'll be free of it.

Counter point. I was on last night with a friend on LAN with me and we dropped in game. Our team had a mix of stuff and I was Soldier 76. Our Reaper spends the entire time bitch about how much Soldier 76 sucks, isn't in the comp meta, how it make sour team a man down, git gud, making COD remarks and going on and on. I end up going roughly 12-1 KDR all three rounds, and with our three other non competitive characters split the gold and silvers. Despite winning with a non competitive mix against a pure competitive mix, and despite the fact that the match was carried by non tournament characters the dude doesn't shut up.

I find that stuff kinda funny personally. But for every match I've seen with "bad" characters being played by people who aren't all that good with them I've seen one with "good" characters being played by people who aren't all that good with them ranting throughout the game about the horror of people who the audacity to pick character X.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Torb needs the Pickup/Deploy mechanic from TF2 so he can safely build behind the front line, pick up the turret, then deploy it where the combat is.

This makes him less of a "Trapper" and allows him to be more effective on offense. You could build your turret in spawn then walk it up to your Reinhardt's shield and deploy it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The whole "having to pick up scrap" is a good mechanic because it encourages Torb to not sit on his turret all match.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Give him a healing station :v:

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Torb needs the Pickup/Deploy mechanic from TF2 so he can safely build behind the front line, pick up the turret, then deploy it where the combat is.

This makes him less of a "Trapper" and allows him to be more effective on offense. You could build your turret in spawn then walk it up to your Reinhardt's shield and deploy it
I think this is the real torb buff. He doesn't need more damage or health just more flexibility with his current kit. Itd be cool if he could do weird boosting with his turret like the engie could too.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I was thinking, change the Tracer ult when on payload maps, if she stands on the payload and ults, it zips the payload forward by 30 seconds in time

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

mcvey posted:

Give him a healing station :v:

Nah I think torb should be the shielding one and symmetra should have damage and healing turrets

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I was thinking, change the Tracer ult when on payload maps, if she stands on the payload and ults, it zips the payload forward by 30 seconds in time

30 seconds of uninterrupted payload time is like 1/2 of most maps

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kai Tave posted:

:agreed:

Im a big fan of seeing our teams Winston leap in, me getting excited for a free 50% charge and then bubbling the Zenyatta who just walked in front of me.

Also I have been playing a ton of Zarya. Easily my new favorite character. Hitting 3+ people in her ult and M1ing them down is too fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should play at least one game a week with actual children jabbering on coms.

These two little boys were just chittering back and forth, having the biggest time. One on Hanzo the other on Reaper (obviously) and insisting on fighting out in the yard in front of Anubis B. I backfilled on B defense with like, 8 minutes to hold, so A had clearly not gone well. They weren't even partied up, just found each other and made best friends for a minute.

They bragged about their levels (34 and 56, the 34s brother called him a "baby level" in the background), got so excited about potentially getting PotG, bragged about their elim numbers (neither finished the game over 10) and just generally had really fun energy. When you get salty at people making GBS threads it up as Hanzo in QP, just take a deep breath and remember they are literally 10 years old and having a lot more fun than you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

This makes him less of a "Trapper" and allows him to be more effective on offense. You could build your turret in spawn then walk it up to your Reinhardt's shield and deploy it.

jesus christ, gently caress no. the last thing we need is for the jackass turret builder to have things easier.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Putting Torb's armor on a timer would make him super trash tier garbage, because he wouldn't be able to build up a scrap reserve to kill people with. The scrap system also rewards aggressive Torbjorns and punishes passive ones that just hide behind their turrets, so putting it on a timer would encourage people to continue camping their turrets and trying to outrepair the damage instead of actually getting involved in the fights.

If they really wanted to make him significantly better all they would have to do is reduce his reloading time and make his hammer's damage hit profile (but not his turret healing, because this would encourage people to be dumbasses) into a normal melee attack. Most of his DPS is stunted by him constantly reloading his gun, and giving him a melee attack splash with that 75 damage hammer would let him mulch deathballs.

The skill ceiling on him is consistently landing your single shot rivets before an enemy closes to soften them up and then landing shotgun headshots at point blank range. Turret placement is important but it takes half a brain cell to put a turret in a good spot.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

jesus christ, gently caress no. the last thing we need is for the jackass turret builder to have things easier.

Make Pickup/Deploy for PC only perhaps? He's been a non-issue ever since release day, and Hanzo has just gained ground on him for the best projectile weapon in the game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cirofren posted:

Obviously it changes with hidden MMR and time of day but PC quickplay for me has been fine since ranked ended. Once there were three Windowmakers but most of the time there are tanks and supports, sometimes I tank or support, and most people play the objectives. There's less talking and coordination (almost none), less 2/2/2, and the occasional game where there's six of the same hero but I've had a good percentage of close and satisfying games.

Sometimes we are missing a heal or tank (and DPS complain rather than switch themselves) but much like with my ranked experience the worst games are when our DPS is not securing kills and I'm already the only healer or tank so I can't change without some team coordination.

Yeah I wonder where this weird mystery QP full of shitheads is. Even when i get stomped in QP we usually have a decent team. Maybe erring on the side of 'eclectic' (lol catfish I now use this constantly playing OW) but without much cajoling people usually get in a rough 2-2-2 comp (well to be honest probably more 3-2-1) and people will generally switch off if they're doing badly and you politely suggest an alternative.

The community in OW is, for me anyway, probably the healthiest I've ever found in any multiplayer game ever.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Kai Tave posted:

Maybe have it so when your cursor passes over someone, you can somehow lock-on before confirming the boost? It'd be nice for stuff like Zarya bubble and Mercy beam too, though I don't know how well it would work in the heat of a match.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly really not looking forward to this patch. I've made Pharah work well even with the Mcree changes, but I don't see a way forward with her post-patch at all. extra 25 hp of armour pls blizz.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Why is Pharah weaker? Because of soldier buff? Discord nerf would have helped her I would have thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

flashman posted:

Why is Pharah weaker? Because of soldier buff? Discord nerf would have helped her I would have thought

OTOH, Soldier+Mcree as your 2 DPS would be really viable though.