Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

for the record, whoever writes these little descriptions on the website for Black Lion sales announcements should be given a raise

"Peacock Scepter

This luxurious weapon was traditionally carried by mesmers to enhance their chaos magic, but as long as you know what you’re doing with a scepter, it’s yours. Some people associate peacocks with wrathfulness, which makes a lot of sense if you’ve ever been chased by one."

"Mini Jungle Lord Faren

The Lord Faren calendar, woodblock prints, full-body portraits, and novelty shot glasses are all sold out. I’m appalled, but I’m still going to offer these scandalous miniatures. I sell, you buy, and neither of us judges the other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

You know, I originally liked Charr the least due to not enjoying the character creation with them but now I have 3 of them and I love it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you really want to print money from gems you should sell bikini Kasmeer or variants :getin:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:staredog: So, do transmogs really not stick to the slot you put them on when you switch equipment? Because that's an evil move lol. Like, they're not expensive, but still. I like the Ebon Vanguard weapon skins a lot, especially since all the stuff I find on mobs and in chests still looks like discarded trash weapons.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Tsurupettan posted:

is there a good guide to just mindlessly leveling my alts up to 80 as fast as possible? I checked the OP and even looked at dulfy's site before asking!

Some methods to level fast to 80:

0. Use level 80 boost (duh)
1. Play WvW or PVP and get tomes of knowledge. You get 2 tomes for every track milestone, so 10 tomes per completed reward track (feel free to correct me here as i dont WvW or PVP)
2. Grind enemies (more below)*
3. Craft (more below)**
A. Use experience scrolls in combination with any of the above for faster leveling.

*To level through grinding enemies you want a celebration booster and an experience booster. Celebration booster gives 100% xp from kills, experience booster gives 50% xp and lets you accumulate killstreak for an additional doubling of the combined xp from kill + boosters). These things combined means a total of 500% xp per kill. Combine this with killing enemies that no one has killed in a while for a huge xp bonus and you will level very fast. We are talking 20-25 enemies killed to get a level up and 12-16 levels per hour. The trick is to go to zones without much population and to just stay in the same zone or same level range of zones. XP is normalized and gear/character is leveled down to the level of the zone you are in so you don't need to go to the TP regularly to replace your gear.
I leveled my ranger from 30 to 80 in an evening in the zone with the shatterer event. (Bottom right zone of ascalon zones i believe)

**Leveling with crafting is the fastest way to level outside of 80-boost or tomes. It is HIGHLY recommended to use both an item booster (50% increased chance of crit craft) as well as experience booster (this one will make you get more character xp per craft but will not make the crafting itself gain more craft xp) Each 500-cap craft skill will level you ~17 levels with the xp booster. Cooking will level you ~11 levels. The level gain is ~11 and ~7 levels respectively, without booster.
Leveling crafting can get expensive depending on how much components you craft yourself, how well prepared you are as well as which types of materials you craft needs. Cloth is the cheapest materials, metals second and wood most expensive.
Tailoring cost me 15g to level 1-500 whereas huntsman cost me around 150g.
The key to efficient crafting leveling is discovery, not repeatedly crafting the same stuff over and over. Crafts are divided into tiers, 0-25, 26-50, 51-75 etc all the way to 400 (401-500 is a special case, more later). Every 3 tiers (75 skillpoints) the materials you need change, but the method remains the same) Every tier has a new set of insignias available. To level from 0-25 you would buy 3 each of the 3 insignias available at that tier and discover 9 recipes (3 recipes for 3 types of equipment) For example for tailoring you would buy 3 Vital, 3 mighty and 3 malign jute insignias and 3 jute breeches panel+lining, 3 jute tunic panel+lining, 3 jute wristguard strap+padding. Combine these with the insignias in the discovery panel and you will discover vital breeches, tunic and wristguard, mighty breeches, tunic and wristguard, etc. This gets you to 25 (well more like 27) and you repeat the process with the 3 new insignias available at 25. Every 75 skillpoints you swap to a new material type. Repeat this process to 400. From 400 to 500 just keep grinding exotic items by checking what exotic insignias are the cheapest and buying those. 400-500 discoveries and crafts give a ton of skillpoints, much more than previous tiers. You can also recoup most of your costs here, as people actually buy the exotics from the TP.
With practice it takes you around 40 minutes to fully level a tradeskill from 1 to 500, which gains you 17 levels.

Cooking does not work in the same way, just follow this guide for leveling cooking. It takes less than 10 minutes and costs you about 7 gold, for 11 levels.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

:staredog: So, do transmogs really not stick to the slot you put them on when you switch equipment? Because that's an evil move lol. Like, they're not expensive, but still. I like the Ebon Vanguard weapon skins a lot, especially since all the stuff I find on mobs and in chests still looks like discarded trash weapons.

Yeah, you don't transmog while leveling if you can help it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tivac posted:

Faren is such a dumb/fun character.

he isnt in enough stuff, story is all serious i just want faren to kill a dragon

deadly_pudding posted:

they do not

hit 80 and get your ascended weapons before you start transmuting

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or do some sPvP and always sit on a pile of transmutation charges bigger than you know what to do with. You definitely don't need to worry about getting ascended gear before transmuting things holy poo poo dreggon

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Waci posted:

Or do some sPvP and always sit on a pile of transmutation charges bigger than you know what to do with. You definitely don't need to worry about getting ascended gear before transmuting things holy poo poo dreggon

i would prefer people look like poo poo for free than spend transmutes to look like poo poo

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
if you're doing maps and even some story stuff, transmogs stack up pretty fast.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dreggon posted:

i would prefer people look like poo poo for free than spend transmutes to look like poo poo

As a proud poor person who has almost no Ascended stuff, I look fabulous in my exotics.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

deadly_pudding posted:

Correct. They stick to the item itself, which is far better for anything you intend to keep.

To look good (lol) while leveling, use outfits. They hide the appearance of your actual gear.

Or, better yet, use just one outfit that you (preferably) can get for free or from a seasonal to not support the outfit side of the gemstore.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you're like me and mostly make plant alts then the cook outfit is great. On plants it just looks like some plant clothes rather than a chef outfit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just Buy More Gems Dude

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Between Gems and a Keyboard, this month gets: Keyboard

not being able to press more than three keys at once actually becomes really stupid when I'm trying to run and drop a battle standard at the same time

I sure am glad when I quit playing marvel heroes my first words were "I'm not going to play another mmo ever again" lmao

edit: Have any of you worked on the new Tremors quest line? Can the whole thing be completed right now? If so, how long did it take you?

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 31, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

If you're like me and mostly make plant alts then the cook outfit is great. On plants it just looks like some plant clothes rather than a chef outfit.

Looks more like the garnish than anything else, really.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

just Buy More Gems Dude

I Bought More Gems Dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHZP1E4LUY

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Why don't you ever post asura master race videos?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Please don't encourage Lonk to play Asura, he goes to very dark places. Things have been much healthier with the Charr.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Dreggon posted:

he isnt in enough stuff, story is all serious i just want faren to kill a dragon

I wish they'd realize they were awful at drama and just go all-in with comedy. The writing team seems pretty decent at goofy comedic stuff.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I haven't even finished the stupid bloodstone crazed creatures events, let alone the tremors.

On the lore side of things it sounds like we'll be using bloodstone food to temporarily make ourselves berserkers to take Kralkatorrik down.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Moot truly is the worst legendary. That aside is the Bloodstone Crystal home node worth it? I figure 10k Unstable Magic is going to take quite a while to get back, or does it fine guaranteed Blood Rubies?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zokie posted:

Moot truly is the worst legendary

gently caress YOU FIGHT ME IRL

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

zokie posted:

Moot truly is the worst legendary. That aside is the Bloodstone Crystal home node worth it? I figure 10k Unstable Magic is going to take quite a while to get back, or does it fine guaranteed Blood Rubies?

three per day

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

zokie posted:

Moot truly is the worst legendary.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

New on the gem store today.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Kazoo posted:

New on the gem store today.

Wow, first item that ever sold out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I would use that as a greatsword skin.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
So, is it actually possible to make decent WvW track progress at random times? Or should I just figure out how to actually be around for WvWednesdays?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
All progress tracks seem slow to me, personally. :-/
How long does it take for you guys to fill a full reward track in either sPvP or WuvWuv? In hours?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Depends on participation (as you do things that get you wXP you gain participation, if you don't do anything for 10 minutes you start losing it), but at max participation you get 195 (or 146 on Edge of the MIsts) track points per 5 minute tick, and it's 20,000 points per reward track. Comes out to close to 9 hours (530 minutes, to be exact) on the "big kid" wvw maps.

The experience booster effect and the guild tavern buff both help, increasing your point gain by 50% and 10% respectively. If you don't use the GOON or SFD Taverns you might get less than 10% from the guild tavern buff, it's an upgradeable effect and maxes at 10%. Guild Tavern is free and easily renewed if you don't have XP Boosters lying around with nothing better to do with them and will shave about an hour off how long it takes to finish a track.

To get your participation up quickly, find the nearest zerg you can and run with it for about 20 minutes. After that you can largely AFK on one of the borderlands (afking on EBG is rude) and just go stab a mists guard every ~9 minutes to keep your participation rolling.

Magres fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Also worth noting that the "end" reward of a track isn't necessarily the most valuable to you and the intermediate rewards vary significantly from track to track, so it's not like the time spent leveling to the end of a track is wasted.

On the various dungeon reward tracks, for instance, the final reward is a single piece of exotic dungeon armor with the unique skin etc. But along the way you get like 3 exotic dungeon weapons with selectable stats, periodic rewards of that dungeon's currency, and a bunch of tomes of experience and similar.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Magres posted:

Depends on participation (as you do things that get you wXP you gain participation, if you don't do anything for 10 minutes you start losing it), but at max participation you get 195 (or 146 on Edge of the MIsts) track points per 5 minute tick, and it's 20,000 points per reward track. Comes out to close to 9 hours (530 minutes, to be exact) on the "big kid" wvw maps.

The experience booster effect and the guild tavern buff both help, increasing your point gain by 50% and 10% respectively. If you don't use the GOON or SFD Taverns you might get less than 10% from the guild tavern buff, it's an upgradeable effect and maxes at 10%. Guild Tavern is free and easily renewed if you don't have XP Boosters lying around with nothing better to do with them and will shave about an hour off how long it takes to finish a track.

To get your participation up quickly, find the nearest zerg you can and run with it for about 20 minutes. After that you can largely AFK on one of the borderlands (afking on EBG is rude) and just go stab a mists guard every ~9 minutes to keep your participation rolling.

This is a great strategy. I was doing this earlier this week until I realized that I could buy the Memories of Battle on the TP and then punched myself in the face repeatedly.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Magres posted:

Oh dang, I can handle that. I've got a couple boosters sitting around, and a fierce desire to get that stupid Gift of War. I've done WvW with SFD once and loved it, but I usually go to bed around that time on Wednesday and am usually far too busy being drunk on Saturday nights.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mover posted:

Also worth noting that the "end" reward of a track isn't necessarily the most valuable to you and the intermediate rewards vary significantly from track to track, so it's not like the time spent leveling to the end of a track is wasted.

On the various dungeon reward tracks, for instance, the final reward is a single piece of exotic dungeon armor with the unique skin etc. But along the way you get like 3 exotic dungeon weapons with selectable stats, periodic rewards of that dungeon's currency, and a bunch of tomes of experience and similar.

They're like, pretty good chunks of the dungeon's currency, too. If you start doing WvW early, you could easily have enough tokens for the whole set from one of the lower-level dungeons by the time you hit 80.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Magres posted:

This is a great breakdown, thanks.

Wow, 9 hours? Holy poo poo. If my math is correct, and you use WuvWuv boosters and the guild boost on top of it, it would take that down to ~5:30 hours, yeah? That's still quite some time. Are there any other ways to reduce that time?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

This is a great breakdown, thanks.

Wow, 9 hours? Holy poo poo. If my math is correct, and you use WuvWuv boosters and the guild boost on top of it, it would take that down to ~5:30 hours, yeah? That's still quite some time. Are there any other ways to reduce that time?

I don't think you can get it down lower than several hours. Reward Tracks aren't actually super good loot tbh, but that's because they're not supposed to be your only source of loot in WvW cause killing people gets you loot and there are harvesting nodes, and I think player kills are the primary source of loot generally.

E: PvP is kinda the same way though the loot is worse. You get paid like 20-30s per game you play and people don't notice it but it adds up over time. I'm a crazy pants and like pvp and I've probably made at least a hundred gold from pvp pay. Now that you don't have to be in the pvp lobby you can throw some logging/mining/harvesting tools on a pvp character and go do Hard Wood Logs farming routes in a map while you wait for queue to pop to get some extra cash out of it, too.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 1, 2016

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I keep trying to get the drat pvp wings and i keep burning out every drat pvp season. I don't think i can finish up the third tier achievements this time around, well i could if i hadn't burned out again. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
sPvP reward tracks move multiple times faster than the WvW ones (like, average 1000 points per 15-20 minutes before achievement bonuses, versus ~200 per 15 minutes), which does balance getting fewer rank up chests and no champion bags or and player loot.

• Locked thread