Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowtax posted:

Oh, in my nearly 17 years of running the place, I never realized how easy and simple the solution was. Thank you.

Sorry, I don't know how to fix getting sick of poo poo. I don't think anyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Lowtax posted:

Oh, in my nearly 17 years of running the place, I never realized how easy and simple the solution was. Thank you.

If it means anything, I enjoy these forums and I am proud to be a goon. Like other people mentioned, you probably should ignore what people tell you to do, these are your forums after all.

Just purge the garbage people who poo poo on every attempt at making effort threads and try to bring the sense of community back. I trust that you can do it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Friendly Humour posted:

Sorry, I don't know how to fix getting sick of poo poo. I don't think anyone does.
That's a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself, and that's the thing that needs fixing and I clearly haven't been able to deal with it, so it's been slipping more and more away. Not to sound condescending, but running and maintaining a forum community for nearly 17 years is a little more difficult and time consuming and draining than it may seem.

And please, I haven't been making excuses, I've been owning up to all my poo poo here.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

rear end posted:

If it means anything, I enjoy these forums and I am proud to be a goon. Like other people mentioned, you probably should ignore what people tell you to do, these are your forums after all.

Just purge the garbage people who poo poo on every attempt at making effort threads and try to bring the sense of community back. I trust that you can do it.

Oh yeah. If there's a surefire way to save a forum it's mass purges.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

People who poo poo on threads usually have no redeeming qualities, so yeah, to hell with em

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Germstore posted:

Clearly Lowtax needs to make SA more like Free Republic. Their admin is absolutely raking in money and if you disagree with him in any way not only do you get banned, but everybody else donates even more money!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Germstore posted:

If it's garbage posters, then I agree. Not only do they post useless poo poo, but they also help contribute to the overall impression that their types of posts are both accepted and encouraged. Purging trash has helped before, and I have no qualms with it as an option.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

rear end posted:

People who poo poo on threads usually have no redeeming qualities, so yeah, to hell with em

It's literally this that I got the impression that GBS was just a dumping ground to make unbelievably lovely posts as a special olympics to see how edgy you could be

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowtax posted:

That's a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself, and that's the thing that needs fixing and I clearly haven't been able to deal with it, so it's been slipping more and more away. Not to sound condescending, but running and maintaining a forum community for nearly 17 years is a little more difficult and time consuming and draining than it may seem.

Of course it is, none of us have maintained a forum community for nearly 17 years, how would we know. Anyway I've never used Reddit or Tumblr because i hate their interfaces so I don't really understand what people are talking about when they say "tumblrification" or whatever. What exactly is the problem if you still do give a poo poo about the forums and what happens to them?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i dont think that old school gbs kind of thing will ever come back. it was awesome a decade ago but that kind of Internet is long gone

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The Well has been around since 1985, and is still active and able to survive. They also charge something like 100 bucks per year membership fee, iirc. Many SA users are no longer in school and can probably pay more for forums, so what I'm saying is think about additional ways to monetize access, jack up the price, and think about how you could justify it to users.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Friendly Humour posted:

Of course it is, none of us have maintained a forum community for nearly 17 years, how would we know. Anyway I've never used Reddit or Tumblr because i hate their interfaces so I don't really understand what people are talking about when they say "tumblrification" or whatever. What exactly is the problem if you still do give a poo poo about the forums and what happens to them?
The problem is balancing the social dynamics and giving people what they want versus what is "best" for the community. If I were suddenly to say "GBS rules are now reverting to 2002 GBS rules," it'd be such a drastic change that folks would abandon ship and the overwhelmingly negative mood towards seemingly arbitrary dramatic rule changes would cause resentment in the community. That's the opposite of what I'd like. I know it sounds retarded for me to be writing all these words and trying to look at things from a sociological point of view, because it's just an internet forum and I've obviously already done my damage to it, but changes, no matter how minute, make a huge difference in peoples' perception and the overall attitude of the forums. Back when the mods and admins and I were all hardasses about grammar and spelling and non-internet speak, that was pretty much a unique feature for an internet forum. Then I got lax and laziness, from both myself and the users, slowly set in, and this laziness caused the creativity and community to wilt.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out there's no "easy" solution here, much like how people suggest we just upgrade vB to its latest version. It's not that easy, and dear god if it was, I'd do it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Germstore posted:

If one bad poster chases away one good poster, the loss is muuuuuuuuuuuch greater than if the bad poster had not been here making bad posts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

Coke. Lots of it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lowtax posted:

If it's garbage posters, then I agree. Not only do they post useless poo poo, but they also help contribute to the overall impression that their types of posts are both accepted and encouraged. Purging trash has helped before, and I have no qualms with it as an option.

Start with Nooner & dgsw, those 2 are pretty major drivers of the shittiness of GBS

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowtax posted:

The problem is balancing the social dynamics and giving people what they want versus what is "best" for the community. If I were suddenly to say "GBS rules are now reverting to 2002 GBS rules," it'd be such a drastic change that folks would abandon ship and the overwhelmingly negative mood towards seemingly arbitrary dramatic rule changes would cause resentment in the community. That's the opposite of what I'd like. I know it sounds retarded for me to be writing all these words and trying to look at things from a sociological point of view, because it's just an internet forum and I've obviously already done my damage to it, but changes, no matter how minute, make a huge difference in peoples' perception and the overall attitude of the forums. Back when the mods and admins and I were all hardasses about grammar and spelling and non-internet speak, that was pretty much a unique feature for an internet forum. Then I got lax and laziness, from both myself and the users, slowly set in, and this laziness caused the creativity and community to wilt.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out there's no "easy" solution here, much like how people suggest we just upgrade vB to its latest version. It's not that easy, and dear god if it was, I'd do it.

If there isn't an easy solution, looking at things from sociological point of view isn't retarded at all. Maybe look into new ways for pointing out and sharing good and funny posts across the forums? I don't know, sorry.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

bradzilla posted:

Start with Nooner & dgsw, those 2 are pretty major drivers of the shittiness of GBS

and we're back to who decides what's good and bad, I mean dgsw posts pretty funny stuff imho.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rear end posted:

I don't. I've been saying this same thing for the last 5 years. Anytime someone actually makes original content for this place it just gets mocked as an effort post. I see time and time again.

This place used to be like a good/lame improv group. "Yes" is always funnier. Go with the thread. See what funny comes out. Does that thread idea seem stupid? Then make it loving funny. Mocking the person and telling them to die isn't quite the height of comedy that you may think it is.

What happened to the "is your post worthwhile" rule? There are a few threads right on the 1st page currently that have zero thought put into them. Ban the gently caress out of those people.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I don't. I've been saying this same thing for the last 5 years. Anytime someone actually makes original content for this place it just gets mocked as an effort post. I see time and time again.

This place used to be like a good/lame improv group. "Yes" is always funnier. Go with the thread. See what funny comes out. Does that thread idea seem stupid? Then make it loving funny. Mocking the person and telling them to die isn't quite the height of comedy that you may think it is.

What happened to the "is your post worthwhile" rule? There are a few threads right on the 1st page currently that have zero thought put into them. Ban the gently caress out of those people.

Is this really true though? I feel like most efforts posts get a good response. And the poo poo posts get the rampant poo poo replies.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

mike12345 posted:

and we're back to who decides what's good and bad, I mean dgsw posts pretty funny stuff imho.

dgsw has been a big whiny baby since he came back from his ban and nooner is just purestrain poo poo hth

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

An Ounce of Gold posted:

people say that but i've made three threads that might have been some of the highest-effort poo poo made in GBS at least in the past few years and they did fine. no one gave me anything like a hard time for doing it and gnarly sent me a cool gift. applewhite also has had a good run posting effort threads in GBS

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

An Ounce of Gold posted:

There are a few threads right on the 1st page currently that have zero thought put into them. Ban the gently caress out of those people.

its almost like there should be a place to put unfunny low effort threads, like a seperate forum where all the threads were just locked and nobody could post, so if there was a really irredeemable thread you could just move it there to kill it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

i suspect the lack of capitalization is to express a cultural difference between GBS and the other subforums rather than laziness

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Germstore posted:

i suspect the lack of capitalization is to express a cultural difference between GBS and the other subforums rather than laziness

that's my justification.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Lowtax posted:

I hadn't posted in close to a decade and came back about a month ago. It was pretty crazy to see that GBS had turned into a poo poo-filled dumpster that is perpetually on fire. The first thing that came to mind to fix it was the mass bannings back in '01 or '02 to get all of the shitheads out.

Don't get me wrong - there's the odd decent thread in here. But they've become the exception and not the norm. The vast majority of this forum is (as mentioned) shitposting and white noise. The fact that I could go make a thread titled "ITT I'm taking a poo poo at work" and get 100 garbage replies rather than it being gassed (as it probably should be because it's a loving terrible post) isn't good.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm not sure what the solution is. Ive been lurking more or less since the beginning of SA and only felt compelled to join and post when rules got a LOT more relaxed. I'm ok with grammar or whatever you decide is best, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Just because someone has been posting here since the beginning doesn't mean that they are a good poster, IMO and some of the stuff I read back then was horrendous garbage. I honestly don't know what the solution would be, and I wish it was easier for you because I know you actually care. that was my effort post

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Also the little problem of not having such a community (which, in turn, tends to turn people off from joining or buying anything) has kind of resulting in a steep financial slide into the toilet, to the point where I cannot even afford to hire a full time coder / admin. So I'm in a hole I need to dig myself out of. It was my fault for not properly monetizing it or cashing in when things were good, ala moot.

4chan was a financial sinkhole for an incredibly long time, and when moot bowed out the best he could do for it was, in his words "tried to leave in the best place possible by focusing on servers, financials, the team, the code, to make sure it’s in a good place and not teetering on the brink when I moved on".

The closest he got to "cashing out" was getting people to invest a few million into a venture of his that ended up being unprofitable and unsellable

Lowtax posted:

You're right that there's no easy solution and that anything drastic is bound to piss people off, but I don't think the notion of refraining from making any changes on the basis that even the smallest change can have a negative effect is going to help.

I think you need to identify what it is about the way things currently are that isn't to your liking, and think about what has contributed to each of those things getting that way, and then think about what sort of poo poo you can do to nudge things back to where you think they should be.

Rolling back the rules doesn't also roll back the rest of the site(and it's members) to be as they were during whatever year. But if you think there's too much pointless unfunny shitposting in places it doesn't belong, for example, then the thing to do is curb it with a fair warning and enforce it by being more aggressive with gassing bad threads or probating bad posters, especially since lovely responses to lovely threads mean there are a lot of turds floating atop the precious first page.

This isn't our site, it's yours, and it's up to you to decide what culture of posting you what to promote or disincentivise as you attempt to reanimate this dead gay forum.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Woah I've been here for nearly 14 years. I should probably think about doing something with my life.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

lohli posted:

4chan was a financial sinkhole for an incredibly long time, and when moot bowed out the best he could do for it was, in his words "tried to leave in the best place possible by focusing on servers, financials, the team, the code, to make sure it’s in a good place and not teetering on the brink when I moved on".

The closest he got to "cashing out" was getting people to invest a few million into a venture of his that ended up being unprofitable and unsellable

You're right that there's no easy solution and that anything drastic is bound to piss people off, but I don't think the notion of refraining from making any changes on the basis that even the smallest change can have a negative effect is going to help.

I think you need to identify what it is about the way things currently are that isn't to your liking, and think about what has contributed to each of those things getting that way, and then think about what sort of poo poo you can do to nudge things back to where you think they should be.

Rolling back the rules doesn't also roll back the rest of the site(and it's members) to be as they were during whatever year. But if you think there's too much pointless unfunny shitposting in places it doesn't belong, for example, then the thing to do is curb it with a fair warning and enforce it by being more aggressive with gassing bad threads or probating bad posters, especially since lovely responses to lovely threads mean there are a lot of turds floating atop the precious first page.

This isn't our site, it's yours, and it's up to you to decide what culture of posting you what to promote or disincentivise as you attempt to reanimate this dead gay forum.

that's extremely interesting, guy who won't even pay for an avatar

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Aint paying for plat, either. Don't need em, don't want em.

Will someone giving me me a big pile of lovely red text declaring me a cheapskate count as me contributing?

y troll
Aug 31, 2016

by Lowtax
i like lowtax but he lies a lot and as technology becomes more integrated into our social psychology the trend points to more transparency not more cloak and dagger or lies - perhaps that is a somewhat dark ironic truth for professional liars on SA

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

y troll posted:

i like lowtax but he lies a lot and as technology becomes more integrated into our social psychology the trend points to more transparency not more cloak and dagger or lies - perhaps that is a somewhat dark ironic truth for professional liars on SA

Ok. I'm convinced. Maybe some users could stand to be purged.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Lowtax posted:

I think you should ask your mods and admins who the worst offenders are and just ban them.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
Hey Lowtax I want you to know I really over your website and I at least do try and post content although I will admit to also posting many a single word replies. I do think some kind of median between actual content and shitposting is necessary but honestly at the moment GBS does seem to be that place, there are plenty of people having earnest discussions about things. Sure many of them are mentally ill and have terrible opinions but drat it, they share them at length. This website has been responsible for shaping my sense of humor as an adult and I just want to thank you for that big guy. Also I really enjoy that g0m is doing front page stuff he's a funny loving guy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hugbox gbs was pretty bad, but so is alt-right gbs. As with most things in life, moderation is the key. Start probating people who ramble about moooslems, but also probate the people who are reporting them, to keep things in balance.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

Hugbox gbs was pretty bad, but so is alt-right gbs. As with most things in life, moderation is the key. Start probating people who ramble about moooslems, but also probate the people who are reporting them, to keep things in balance.

i dont think anyone is arguing for us to have stormfront lite here and in fact I personally think all of the people posting really racist or sexist things behind a veneer of irony are lying and are likely at least a little racist or sexist.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

waitwhatno posted:

SJW GBS was terrible, everyone trying to out outrage each other. This GBS is at least tolerable.

y troll
Aug 31, 2016

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

there really needs to be a reactionary movement to the teachers pet attitude on these forums of hitting the report button

communities dont last when theyre over policed.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

GBS isn't alt-right, and the few times someone is legitimately alt-right (which as far as I can tell means literally advocating fascism) they are laughed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Germstore posted:

GBS isn't alt-right, and the few times someone is legitimately alt-right (which as far as I can tell means literally advocating fascism) they are laughed out.

What's wrong with Facism?

• Locked thread