Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

8 track betamax posted:

Actually the sugar in fruit makes it so your body switches to "store up fat" metabolism because it thinks it's harvest time and winter is comeing. Eat mega nuts and meats instead and grow huge muscles by doing dead lifts and then get back to me when you have the body of a sahel tribesmen and we can discuss your faggy fruit diet

Spare me the paleo pseudo science. Fruit juice is not the same as whole fruit. Insulin is the key to storing adipose tissue, and protein is a potent insulin stimulant by itself. Dietary fat can go straight into storage altogether. Don't be fooled by fads, sugar/carbs are not inherently evil. Carbs are seen as the boogeyman like the low fat diet in the 80's, and there was a point in history where protein was considered evil. They're all fueled by misunderstanding nutrition science research. The real reason why the Paleo diet is useful for controlling excessive fat storage is because it disallows processed foods altogether.

Excessive protein is not a good idea either. Protein sends a strong growth signal to your body, and excessive amounts are not a good thing when you're already a full grown adult (Cancer is a growth disease).

quote:

"Popular diets in many cases have high proteins and low sugars. They may make you lose some weight, but that's not a good diet to increase life span," said study researcher Valter Longo, professor of biology at the University of Southern California (USC) and director of the USC Longevity Institute.

The risks of a high-protein diet are even comparable to smoking, the researchers said. People who smoke are four times more likely to die of cancer compared with nonsmokers, Longo said.

http://www.livescience.com/43839-too-much-protein-help-cancers-grow.html

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There is only one solution to who is right: everyone here is going to have to pm me there abs and let me beat off to them

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3RxYNfjho

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

Is self-control genetic or what
You know how doctors talk about stuff like alcohol addiction and how some people are more prone to it than others? I'm guessing it's a bit like that. For a lot of people having a couple drinks at a social event and then stopping so they are safe to drive later is easy, for some people it's not. Substitute booze for hamburgers and blamo you have a fatty.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Spare me the paleo pseudo science. Fruit juice is not the same as whole fruit. Insulin is the key to storing adipose tissue, and protein is a potent insulin stimulant by itself. Dietary fat can go straight into storage altogether. Don't be fooled by fads, sugar/carbs are not inherently evil. Carbs are seen as the boogeyman like the low fat diet in the 80's, and there was a point in history where protein was considered evil. They're all fueled by misunderstanding nutrition science research. The real reason why the Paleo diet is useful for controlling excessive fat storage is because it disallows processed foods altogether.

Excessive protein is not a good idea either. Protein sends a strong growth signal to your body, and excessive amounts are not a good thing when you're already a full grown adult (Cancer is a growth disease).

http://www.livescience.com/43839-too-much-protein-help-cancers-grow.html

I want to look good, not to live long. A light fuelled by protein burns a quarter as long, but twice as bright.

ArbitraryC posted:

You know how doctors talk about stuff like alcohol addiction and how some people are more prone to it than others? I'm guessing it's a bit like that. For a lot of people having a couple drinks at a social event and then stopping so they are safe to drive later is easy, for some people it's not. Substitute booze for hamburgers and blamo you have a fatty.

Alcohol addiction is different though. That poo poo turned out to be a genuine illness, where your brain chemistry shits itself and drinking becomes a compulsion for you. It has to do with the long term accumulation of some specific transcription factor, that I can't the remember the name of. Some people can get sick faster and easier than others, but it can potentially affect anyone.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really hate the term 'processed food' because it is meaningless

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Quote-Unquote posted:

I process food in my mouth hole and also my stomachs

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

waitwhatno posted:

Alcohol addiction is different though. That poo poo turned out to be a genuine illness, where your brain chemistry shits itself and drinking becomes a compulsion for you. It has to do with the long term accumulation of some specific transcription factor, that I can't the remember the name of. Some people can get sick faster and easier than others, but it can potentially affect anyone.
I'm not fat expert but couldn't that be the same sit for modern foods that are literally designed to be addictive? Like there are food scientists who are paid bank to come up with ways to trick people to eat more, it seems pretty fair to guess that some people are more susceptible to those tricks than others.

The easiest way to diet is basically to avoid all processed foods but considering the trends it's pretty obvious that's something that's harder to do than it should be. Sure you can just write it off as a willpower problem among the entire world but I feel like the more pragmatic approach would be to engage the new stuff that's caused these obesity trends.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Quote-Unquote posted:

100% Organic.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Is self-control genetic or what

ask the 60% of men or 45% of women who cheat on their spouses

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

did you know that if you breathe pure oxygen, you'll die?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

Not really? I mean stuff like organic is p vague but processed vs unprocessed is p simple, are you eating food that comes in a box or bag that was prepped for you or are you eating stuff that's either raw ingredients or made from raw ingredients. I guess you could could argue for some vagueness when it comes to stuff like flour, spices, or the variety of cuts of meat but that's really only if you're being pedantic.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's pretty overused at this point but I pretty much read it as shorthand for anything that's had ingredients added or subtracted after being harvested from it's source.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not fat expert but couldn't that be the same sit for modern foods that are literally designed to be addictive? Like there are food scientists who are paid bank to come up with ways to trick people to eat more, it seems pretty fair to guess that some people are more susceptible to those tricks than others.

The easiest way to diet is basically to avoid all processed foods but considering the trends it's pretty obvious that's something that's harder to do than it should be. Sure you can just write it off as a willpower problem among the entire world but I feel like the more pragmatic approach would be to engage the new stuff that's caused these obesity trends.

I dunno, maybe there is some addictive mechanism to food, but if there is, it's in a completely different league than alcohol. Widespread alcohol addiction is as old as civilization and extremely hard to cure with something like ~90% of people experiencing at least one fallback into drinking during their lifetime.

Widespread obesity on the other hand has literally appeared only a couple of decades ago and curing it is as simple as providing basic nutrition education to kids, writing a VR pokemon app for Android and iOS and not building your freaking cities like a retarded retard. Use your legs, it's what they are made for.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ArbitraryC posted:

actually i posit that you actually are fat and probably an expert in something

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fat is beautiful

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Waroduce posted:

Fat is beautiful

this is what sjw's actually think

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

Fat people complaining about genetics making them fat is like brunettes complaining about genetics making them brunettes. While it is technically true that some people can be blond without doing any work, if you really want to be blond, you can be. Yes, you will have to continually fight your body's natural tendency to be a brunette, but if being blond is important to you, is it really that big of a deal getting a dye job every now and then?

We meet again

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Being full and fat and getting lounge around in comfortable air-conditioned homes with ever need instantly met is the next stage of human evolution and it rocks.....so yeah it make sense that empty headed gbs goons pine for a return to walking everywhere and suffering like an animal

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Sorry that the modern heaven on earth we have created is too mainstream for you

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

8 track betamax posted:

Being full and fat and getting lounge around in comfortable air-conditioned homes with ever need instantly met is the next stage of human evolution and it rocks.....so yeah it make sense that empty headed gbs goons pine for a return to walking everywhere and suffering like an animal

some suffering makes you a better person betamax

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

Not really? I mean stuff like organic is p vague but processed vs unprocessed is p simple, are you eating food that comes in a box or bag that was prepped for you or are you eating stuff that's either raw ingredients or made from raw ingredients.

but this definition doesn't make sense to me. It was all raw ingredients at some point.

All you're saying here is 'somebody cooked it for me and put it in a package' = processed

(If that's not what you're saying then sorry, but please tell me what 'processed' means)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

but this definition doesn't make sense to me. It was all raw ingredients at some point.

All you're saying here is 'somebody cooked it for me and put it in a package' = processed

(If that's not what you're saying then sorry, but please tell me what 'processed' means)

they contain compounds that look scary such as "glucose" and "sodium chloride". i mean what the hell is that. can't be natural and must be bad. don't want any of that in my body, no sir

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

8 track betamax posted:

Oh hell no cities designed for walking/biking own.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
People should not be fat, because being fit means I can eat this greasy rear end burger in front of me, and then an hour later, have another one and still run 4 miles later, no prob, and then burg again

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

ElGroucho posted:

People should not be fat, because being fit means I can eat this greasy rear end burger in front of me, and then an hour later, have another one and still run 4 miles later, no prob, and then burg again

Guess what I can do all that except not do the running part so check and mate fitness faggots

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Waroduce posted:

Fat is beautiful

Mods?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

8 track betamax posted:

Guess what I can do all that except not do the running part so check and mate fitness faggots

a very bad dog

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Walking is actually fun. If I have the time I walk everywhere, instead of taking the bike, bus or subway. Everyone who doesn't walk is missing out on life.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

Walking is actually fun. If I have the time I walk everywhere, instead of taking the bike, bus or subway. Everyone who doesn't walk is missing out on life.

I agree

down with 8-hour work days

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

runupon cracker posted:

I agree

down with 8-hour work days

Yeah It us be nice to have dad pay your bills so you have time to just leasurly stroll around baby's day out style

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I used to walk 3ish miles to work at a hotel and probably 2 1/2 to get to a fast food job, both five days a week. I was a crazy alcoholic then though, so the health benefits were kind of a wash.

Walking is nice.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

"Guys, it sucks being skinny. I can eat anything i want and not gain a thing. I tried eating more but I can only eat so much."

*Eats like a rabbit, gets stuffed and satisfied on an energy drink with a couple smokes*

hahahah holy poo poo it's me.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
wonder how many calories are dumped in a massive beer poo poo

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

jackyl posted:

wonder how many calories are dumped in a massive beer poo poo

It depends on how much of your stool is dark reddish-black, really.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

8 track betamax posted:

life is suffering

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
lol @ the idea of walking and not having air conditioning is suffering. Truly GBS has enlightened me to the plight of normal human beings that do normal human being things.

client
Aug 19, 2010

i got the genes where i want booze all the time but i guess also the genes where i dont get fat from drinking it.

life aint bad

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

waitwhatno posted:

I want to look good, not to live long. A light fuelled by protein burns a quarter as long, but twice as bright.

It's not just longevity, it's quality of life. Excessive protein doesn't just increase risk of cancer, it ages you faster, so yeah you will look worse. On top of that excessive protein has no scientific evidence of increased muscle growth. Sorry you were fooled by food supplement companies and drugged up bodybuilders.

waitwhatno posted:

Food triggers endorphin release.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Use context clues. We're not talking about processed foods like frozen vegetables, we mean cheap junk foods that are only palatable because they have ridiculous amounts of salt, sugar, and fat to trigger pleasure centers in your brain.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The cooking process matters. Depending on the method you use, it can reduce the nutrient composition of your foods by well over half, and that's not including all of the extra garbage added into it so it will last forever on a shelf and be cheap.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Cephalectomy posted:

lol @ the idea of walking and not having air conditioning is suffering. Truly GBS has enlightened me to the plight of normal human beings that do normal human being things.

normal human beings have air conditioning tho

• Locked thread