Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Snak posted:

Not the fun walking around collection part.

Is it though, I've not bothered playing it since they killed all the trackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Come back when all the cool features are in the game, when I'm sure you won't complain that it's not fair that everyone somehow outleveled you while you stopped playing and you can't catch up.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Someone put the pokestops in jail.

Probably the furries.

And I ran like 500 meters to try to get to a squirtle that had 1:20 on it, thinking it was halfway through the park but it wasn't.

Been doing a lot more running ever since this pokemonradargo thing was posted. My egg distance suffers but they only give me zubats anyhow. I wish more people submitted data though, cause a lot of my machop spots are unlisted. If only the ingame tracker was better at locations/multiple spawns.

edit: wtf all 3 of my magnemites have 64.4% IVs. I know I got them from pokestops/lures but I don't remember if they were the same spot. I'm pretty sure my previous magnemites were all poo poo% but only two of them were new today.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 31, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Willsun posted:

Come back when all the cool features are in the game, when I'm sure you won't complain that it's not fair that everyone somehow outleveled you while you stopped playing and you can't catch up.

I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive I'm just wondering if the game is still fun after a month of rats and birds and no tracker.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Is it though, I've not bothered playing it since they killed all the trackers.

I mean, to each their own. I basically never use the in-game tracker. I just like walking aroind catching Pokémon and hatching eggs. Every once in awhile, there's a new one. Last weekend, for example, I went to a new park and walked a big circuit, where I saw my first Jinx. Ended up catching about a half-dozen of them.

The idea that the game is garbage if you can't go hunt down specific Pokémon is so bizarre to me, considering the tracker has basically never been useful since the game came out. Footsteps never worked for me, so I guess it was never part of the play experience that I latched onto.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nice

link to the calculator

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Willsun posted:

The tracker works as far as acknowledging what's around, but the order as they appear on the list seems to be a crapshoot for telling what's actually closer since I've also experienced ones down the "order" appearing before the ones that are technically ahead. The mon you want disappearing off the list works too when you get too far away and will appear back when you get back close enough to the general area it's in.

After last patch the ones appearing on my list were doing so in the order of which I was actually seeing appear. It was a definitive change to prepatch, which was indeed like you are describing. However it has since devolved right back to what we are seeing once again.

Often times I have mon appearing that are not even ON the list now.

But hey, san fran tracker something something.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jonesy posted:

yeah except the fight will continue for 4 seconds after the enemy has been knocked out and you'll lose anyways lol.

I honestly can't believe that months into release this is still a loving problem.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
It's the same problem MMORPGs have, they spend so much time trying to make people play the game the way the developers envisioned (aka grind and spend money) that they neglect basic fixes and improvements that would add to fun.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Eyochigan posted:

Someone put the pokestops in jail.

Oh man, what are they doing to the Forks? People must be pissed! Looks like Assiniboine Park is literally the only place to play now.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

indigi posted:

I honestly can't believe that months into release this is still a loving problem.

I had a fight drag wayy the hell on yesterday taking a gym, which is especially bullshit because I destroyed that sole defending snorlax, but with his bonus time my poor wigglytuff just got whittled down to nothing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite patch related to the tracker is that now the main screen and the mini display actually agree, instead of one being flipped. I can't believe that a build where they didn't agree was ever actually released.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Of course it doesn't matter now because the order is 100% random.

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.
Huh, minor thing I know but they took away the rustling grass at some point. If it didn't do anything anyways, why comment out that code / remove it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jonesy posted:

I had a fight drag wayy the hell on yesterday taking a gym, which is especially bullshit because I destroyed that sole defending snorlax, but with his bonus time my poor wigglytuff just got whittled down to nothing

It's so frustrating, and with revive use going up it's become even more annoying. I saw someone claim it was a bug that only occurred when one pokemon died as they were getting off their special, but that's bullshit because it happens to me even in 1v1 encounters.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nowa posted:

Huh, minor thing I know but they took away the rustling grass at some point. If it didn't do anything anyways, why comment out that code / remove it?

I imagine it's to avoid encouraging people to enter places they shouldn't be going. If the grass does nothing anyway, may as well take it out.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

I imagine it's to avoid encouraging people to enter places they shouldn't be going. If the grass does nothing anyway, may as well take it out.

The grasses indicated spawn points and were really helpful when the radar worked.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, to each their own. I basically never use the in-game tracker. I just like walking aroind catching Pokémon and hatching eggs. Every once in awhile, there's a new one. Last weekend, for example, I went to a new park and walked a big circuit, where I saw my first Jinx. Ended up catching about a half-dozen of them.

The idea that the game is garbage if you can't go hunt down specific Pokémon is so bizarre to me, considering the tracker has basically never been useful since the game came out. Footsteps never worked for me, so I guess it was never part of the play experience that I latched onto.

Its mostly that it doesn't encourage going off the beaten path anymore. There's no point in me draining my battery in the half hour before work if I can never find anything new.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SynthOrange posted:

Has the speed limit been changed at all?

You still can't drive 55

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Its mostly that it doesn't encourage going off the beaten path anymore. There's no point in me draining my battery in the half hour before work if I can never find anything new.

The game already doesn't encourage going off the beaten path by there being basically no spawns far away from high-density areas. I go to different parks, and some parks have spawns that others don't. So there is incentive to branch out.

If you're saying you want the game to encourage hiking through the woods to find new pokemon, well, yeah, it's not going to do that. This is a pretty casual game. But it also still never really did that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Candy from walking Is what I need. Hatch a good starter and walk it up the chain. Do they poop candy?

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
It'd be great if there were occasional stardust harvest spots; maybe similar to collecting XM in Ingress, or random bottle of stardust from spinning Pokestops. Or from grinding Pokemon into candy. Or winning gym battles...
Might make the stardust requirements to power up at later levels more attainable, while encouraging users to continue playing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Snak posted:

The game already doesn't encourage going off the beaten path by there being basically no spawns far away from high-density areas. I go to different parks, and some parks have spawns that others don't. So there is incentive to branch out.

My PC tracker showed and I caught an Arcanine in a neighbor's back yard. Thankfully I know them, because if I didn't it'd be dangerous to walk on to somebody's property unannounced in Florida.

Elephanthead posted:

Candy from walking Is what I need. Hatch a good starter and walk it up the chain. Do they poop candy?

It's not poop...

(yet another comic that is better without the final panel)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Modus Pwnens posted:

The grasses indicated spawn points and were really helpful when the radar worked.

They didn't really seem to, there were always a couple of grass spots near my house, but things didn't spawn on them. Maybe if you were on one, you'd be within range of some kind of spawn point, but it was animated regardless of whether or not something was actually there.

It would be nice if they brought them back but as an actual, "Something is right here, right now, you just can't see what it is yet because you're too far away."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Expand the POIs into different types, is this a cool good idea or a dumb bad idea?

Shops - How stops work currently
Daycare - Leave pokemon to very slowly increase level. Would work like the games where it only increases while you walk, to prevent drop-offs from becoming monsters over a long time. Also, eggs come from here instead of shops
Training centers - Spend candy to randomize moves
Labs - Spend stardust to randomize IVs
Visitor centers - Report of nests within a large radius of the center

Also I never really understood why stops reset after 5 minutes, that just encourages sitting in one spot or doing small laps, and anyone who works/lives within range of a stop benefits so much from it. They should be like an hour between resets at least, but give a larger amount of items per spin.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I like that idea because then it would help rural areas a bit more, they have few stops to spin as it is, but if each one gave a lot more they'd be able to keep up in supplies.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Zo posted:

Data miners found evidence of a "buddy" system in the latest patch where you choose a mon to follow you and it gives you candy as you walk. This is pure speculation from data strings but it sounds hella cool.

Yes please. I need exactly one candy to evolve my voltorb and I can only get them from eggs: :shepface:

Voltorb, plus at least eight or nine other rare Pokémon sitting in my inventory.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Thanks for the badass spreadsheet BrianBoitano. It fulfills all of my autistic dreams.

I will follow you into the depths of Pokemon hell.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zo posted:

Data miners found evidence of a "buddy" system in the latest patch where you choose a mon to follow you and it gives you candy as you walk. This is pure speculation from data strings but it sounds hella cool.

Watch, it'll turn out you need to buy a Pokeleash that costs $5 and disappears after a day

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

something posted:

I like that idea because then it would help rural areas a bit more, they have few stops to spin as it is, but if each one gave a lot more they'd be able to keep up in supplies.

That would help city dwellers a ton and be a minor quality of life improvement for rural folks. With the change you only have to spin your favorite spot once per hour to get the same benefit as sitting there and spinning it every five minutes for an hour, whereas the majority of players would be drowning in items from farming their multiple pokestops.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally hit 23! :woop:

The two gyms down the hiking trails near my office are still blue. Maybe I should do a morning hike on the weekend and go level them up.

CrashCat posted:

Watch, it'll turn out you need to buy a Pokeleash that costs $5 and disappears after a day

Shhh, they'll hear you!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

final2percent posted:

Thanks for the badass spreadsheet BrianBoitano. It fulfills all of my autistic dreams.

I will follow you into the depths of Pokemon hell.

No problem! I'm glad my spreadsheet fetish benefits other people too.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

kuroiXiru posted:

Yes please. I need exactly one candy to evolve my voltorb and I can only get them from eggs: :shepface:

Voltorb, plus at least eight or nine other rare Pokémon sitting in my inventory.

There's a voltorb nest a couple miles from my house, but its on a golf course of a country club.
I feel like not only is the game discriminating against me for living in the suburbs, but now its making GBS threads on me for not being rich.
Trying to figure out how to disguise myself as a millionare that also plays Pokemon Go so I can farm it.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

SynthOrange posted:

Has the speed limit been changed at all?

If anything I'd swear it had gone down. I sprinted across the street last night coming home from class and my app said I was going too fast. And since I am very very sure I am in fact not Usain Bolt...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I usually get partial credit for distance driven while catching a Pokemon.

The hard part is getting a Pokemon to spawn while (being a passenger) in a car, but once the encounter ends and the avatar ZOOMS to the new GPS location, the egg progress jumps way up the next time it updates.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I usually get partial credit for distance driven while catching a Pokemon.

The hard part is getting a Pokemon to spawn while (being a passenger) in a car, but once the encounter ends and the avatar ZOOMS to the new GPS location, the egg progress jumps way up the next time it updates.

Wait, are you saying that one could potentially start a poke capture, then leave it idle and drive 5-10k and then complete the battle, and you'll earn all that distance?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I had an egg at 1.4/2km hatch last night. Sweet, my legs were sore anyways!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cartouche posted:

Wait, are you saying that one could potentially start a poke capture, then leave it idle and drive 5-10k and then complete the battle, and you'll earn all that distance?

I don't get 1:1 credit, but on my commute (which is downhill at about 40 MPH), I'll usually get about 25-75% credit for a typical length Pokemon encounter (~25 seconds). I get about 1.5km each morning from doing this.

I've never done any hard experimenting though, so I don't know what would happen if I just left it idle on a catch encounter for my entire 15 minute drive.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone made a Catch Chance Calculator.

Also, a Trainer Level Calculator

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Boywunda posted:

Oh man, what are they doing to the Forks? People must be pissed! Looks like Assiniboine Park is literally the only place to play now.

I saw stacks of brick or something, they're probably just fixing stuff. I don't remember it being too bad.

And not really pissed. People just sat around the perimeter of the fence and still lured it. Makes it harder to get the random spawns in the area though.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 31, 2016

• Locked thread