Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
:siren:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/31/playstation-plus-free-games-for-september-2016/:siren:

quote:

Full Lineup
Lords of the Fallen, PS4
Journey, PS4, PS3
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, PS3
Datura, PS3
Badland, PS Vita, PS4, PS3
Amnesia: Memories, PS Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I couldn't even stomach finishing the first boss.

Also if you want a not-Dark Souls fix for free off of PSN (and for it to actually be good), Ni-Oh beta still available until next Tuesday.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
LotF sounds like it's pretty bad, but it's now at a price point I can appreciate.

Also, years of never actually buying Journey is finally paying off! :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it was utterly awful and I very rarely have that strong a negative reaction to a game. I suppose it might be more playable if you stick to sword and board but trying to avoid damage any other way was just a chore.

We're talking about the game where it's trivially possible to become basically invincible in multiple ways, right?

I mean LotF is by no means meaningfully good but part of that is that it's absurdly easy.

If LotF had been released in a vacuum it'd be thoroughly average action/RPG. It suffers for so blatantly knocking off DS while being nowhere as good. I wouldn't recommend buying it but as a free "eh, whatever" game it's fine unless you're just going to be upset that it's knocking off a better game..

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 31, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've actually like just put Lords of the Fallen on my wish list so this works out well for me, even if it ends up being bad. Plus it's hard to complain about Journey.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I rented LotF out of fear that it would have been poo poo. I made it a bit past the first boss before I shut it off and put in DS2.

Spending money on it soured it, but for free it may be worthwhile time sink for a few hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

We're talking about the game where it's trivially possible to become basically invincible in multiple ways, right?

I mean LotF is by no means meaningfully good but part of that is that it's absurdly easy.

Your definition of absurdly easy and other peoples are not the same thing. :v:

Tbh I got up to the second boss and never wanted to play it again so I dunno how broken it really was.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also pretty happy about the PS3 offering: a pretty okay cash in that I sold years ago and an indie as gently caress game that I was always curious about but never pulled the trigger on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna play the Vita otome game and that's about it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I paid for LotF as a stopgap between Bloodborne and the expansion coming out, and was kind of disappointed but enjoyed it enough to play through a few of the bosses. I left thinking that $10 was probably the right price for it, so this seems like a good deal/good PS+ game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Your definition of absurdly easy and other peoples are not the same thing. :v:

Tbh I got up to the second boss and never wanted to play it again so I dunno how broken it really was.

It really gets hilariously broken. The Brawler tree (IIRC) gives you poo poo like 'infinite energy' or "an attack that oneshots most things in the game" and defensive spells make you tank poo poo for days. The rogue spell tree is however hilariously worthless as is every single thing about the rogue because there's no real reason to do anything in the game but the most brute-force method at all.

Like I said, it isn't particularly good but it's exactly the sort of game I can imagine people enjoying for the price of Free.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lords of the fallen may be crap compared to dark souls but it's another retail game for ps+ so people can stop bitching about price hike.

October? Bound by flame.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It really gets hilariously broken. The Brawler tree (IIRC) gives you poo poo like 'infinite energy' or "an attack that oneshots most things in the game" and defensive spells make you tank poo poo for days. The rogue spell tree is however hilariously worthless as is every single thing about the rogue because there's no real reason to do anything in the game but the most brute-force method at all.

Like I said, it isn't particularly good but it's exactly the sort of game I can imagine people enjoying for the price of Free.

I was playing a Rogue :whitewater:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I knew not buying Journey would eventually pay off.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison I will say that the ending of Life is Strange is literally the only way I could have imagined it ending and I feel it's perfectly thematically cohesive with the rest of the game.
Oh, it definitely fits. It's mean, but that still fits. I'm happy with it, the back half of the game is actually more entertaining to me than the first half though.

Rirse posted:

The offical Playstation youtube put up a video showing the two PS4 games, which is Lords of the Fallen (Knack Meets Dark Souls) and Journey. It didn't' show the rest through.
that figures, I finally broke down and got Journey on the last sale. Guess you can all thank me for that one :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just wish LiS didn't fall into the 'gay characters have to have a bad ending' trope

Even if you didn't have to have them be gay with each other.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Journey is a great game I already played but I'll gladly take the ps4 version.

Lord of shadow reminded me that I didn't play DS3 yet, waiting for a sale

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Journey is a great game I already played but I'll gladly take the ps4 version.

If you bought Journey on PS3 you already have the PS4 version free, unless you got Journey on a disc or played it on someone else's account.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I just wish LiS didn't fall into the 'gay characters have to have a bad ending' trope

Even if you didn't have to have them be gay with each other.

there was no way the story was going to have a "good" ending, because it's not cool to do that anymore. the right answer is to have them drive off into the sunset together and fill in your own head canon about them living happily ever after

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I do admit that I'm sort of burned out on every video game I play these days either having a cliffhanger ending or the protagonist dies/is corrupted and ruined/otherwise sadness. It'd be nice to just have an unambiguously happy ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why the gently caress the town and everyone in it ending was the best.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I'm really surprised about Amnesia being a free game but I'll take it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rirse posted:

The offical Playstation youtube put up a video showing the two PS4 games, which is Lords of the Fallen (Knack Meets Dark Souls) and Journey. It didn't' show the rest through.

lmao, Lords of the Fallen is garbage.

I don't have Journey though so that will be cool.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If you already have Journey this month sucks balls, but people will say it's a great month because they get a terrible retail game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison I will say that the ending of Life is Strange is literally the only way I could have imagined it ending and I feel it's perfectly thematically cohesive with the rest of the game.

However, while I played LoS blind, I played all five chapters in a row instead of with a gap between which may impact how I viewed it. I think a lot of people who played it point-to-point had time to built up theories and ideas that didn't get lived up to and missed that the game is fundamentally a tragedy about 'what ifs' rather than a time travelling adventure game.

Edit: Regardless, I think it's completely worth playing. The last chapter has some wonky moments but even then it's worth it.

I played it pretty much the same way you did; that is, blind and with no breaks (it wasn't a single sitting, but it was still maybe three days total.)

I laughed really hard at how absurd/bad the ending was when it happened and immediately had a bunch of other ideas for how it could have ended.

It was still my favorite game last year, but that ending was a train wreck and had no business being in that game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is Amnesia: Memories a interactive novel/dating sim? I may give that a pass. Badland is a good game on Vita though.

Whelp, now that I know the games, time to go pick up some selections from the sale.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

My favorite dick move in Crash 1 is that bridge of boxes in the first level that you either walk across with invincibility as it breaks behind you or slowly jump across and hope you don't miss a box/die.

That's probably the hardest part of that entire first level and really sets the stage for the incredibly hard poo poo later on.

Are these games actually on PS4? I remember playing the hell out of at least Crash 2 and 3 as a kid, and getting frustrated at coloured gems. Also CTR which was a fun Mario Kart knock-off.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The PS4 cannot play PS1 games. It's not as powerful as the PS3.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They are completely remastering the original trilogy though so that should be cool.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ah yes, LotF. I suppose next month we'll get Battleborn.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

sporadicsarcasm posted:

I'm really surprised about Amnesia being a free game but I'll take it.
it's a romance VN that has been on sale a few times already, I'm sure they got it cheap

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ometeotl posted:

We will get Battleborn in a flash sale for 50% off

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Holy crap a straight up pure Otome game on PS+

Very excited, first time I get to try the genre and heard very good things on how bizarre the romances can get. Not talking about pidgeons or anything

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013

CrashCat posted:

it's a romance VN that has been on sale a few times already, I'm sure they got it cheap

I know, I was thinking about buying it a couple of times when it was on sale.

Still might get a physical copy eventually.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Holy crap a straight up pure Otome game on PS+

Very excited, first time I get to try the genre and heard very good things on how bizarre the romances can get. Not talking about pidgeons or anything

Bizarre is putting it mildly for this game. Hope you enjoy it! Don't pick diamond first!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lockback posted:

Is Amnesia: Memories a interactive novel/dating sim? I may give that a pass. Badland is a good game on Vita though.

Whelp, now that I know the games, time to go pick up some selections from the sale.

It's an otome game, a visual novel aimed at women, so you get to romance the bishie of your choice, who usually turns out to be an utter psychopath.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neon Knight posted:

If you bought Journey on PS3 you already have the PS4 version free, unless you got Journey on a disc or played it on someone else's account.

Doh

Anyway ABZU is also nice and kind of just water Journey

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Ometeotl posted:

I might be the only person who actually really enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, despite some flaws.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

strategery posted:

I might be the only person who actually really enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, despite some flaws.

No, I liked it too. I got it for ~$12 the last time it was on sale. That was some time between Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. It was available at a good time and I had fun with it despite some flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

strategery posted:

I thought it was fine. It's a much easier, dumber Souls game, but that's OK.

• Locked thread