Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Related peeve: people who try to dictate who does or does not have the right to grieve when a public figure dies. You don't own them any more or less than anyone else, and while you might be annoyed that someone you see as "not a true fan" is professing their grief on social media, they have every right to be upset.

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. I don't care if they were a true fan or not. It would also be weird and "let's see how i can make this about ME" if you were a diehard lifelong fan. The bottom line is you didn't know them. Being a little bummed if they die in the middle of their career is one thing, but having a breakdown because a man in his 80s with alzheimers died is just over the top to me.

It's just part of a trend of people becoming weepy messes that have a hair-trigger on their emotions. There's nothing wrong with being emotional, everyone is, but there are times when you should keep it to yourself. I have favorite actors too, but like if Russell Crowe kicked it tomorrow I'd just think "that's a shame", not rush to facebook to post about how I'm a sobbing mess and need to be cheered up and we've lost a Voice of Our Generation or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I have favorite actors too, but like if Russell Crowe kicked it tomorrow I'd just think "that's a shame", not rush to facebook to post about how I'm a sobbing mess and need to be cheered up and we've lost a Voice of Our Generation or whatever.

And what a voice he was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E32UNz_t7Ws

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think I've got to pick a new favorite actor now.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When people take too long at checkup doctors appointments. I don't mean serious appointments like follow up after surgery. I mean when they schedule a 15 minute checkup and spend an hour complaining or whining or whatever the gently caress so I end up sitting in the waiting room for an hour. You KNOW you're gonna need more time, just tell the scheduling person that you need more than just 15 minutes!!!! Gah

E: one time someone scheduled a 15 min appointment and brought their whole family in: 4 people all wanting to get diagnosed. I don't know why the doctor didn't turn them away but oh my god is the waiting room boring.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Homes or businesses with lovely address markers. Like you order a pizza and the dude is late, so gently caress yeah, free pizza! But he's late because you didn't include the loving gate code on your order, and then your house number is so loving faded you can't see it from the street. Or businesses in a multiple story complex that don't include their business name or suite number on the delivery label, so I have 30 floors to search for a M. Mendez.

I had a delivery today to a business that didn't have a sign up, that was about a mile from the main road (oh and it was an unpaved road) and there were no loving signs on the dirt road. Oh, and there was a ton of construction everywhere. Business access openings only for their neighbors right on the street. The delivery was almost late and then all my other ones were borderline late because even after I called the business to say hey, I have a part you guys ordered and said you needed within two hours, no one could give me loving directions other than "there's a white mailbox out front." Well, yes, there was. In front of another address. Cunts.

My boss called and tried to help me with GPS but he couldn't see the construction or the "No left turns" everywhere, so every time he insisted I back and do a U-turn and then just turn left, me insisting I couldn't, led to a near argument where he kept asking why I was going a mile out of the way to turn around. Because none of the streets you mention ARE THROUGH STREETS, JACKASS.

All of this could have been avoided if someone put a loving sign out that their business did in fact exist and was A loving MILE OFF THE MAIN ROAD PAST SEVERAL BROKEN DOWN WAREHOUSES LINED WITH BARBED WIRE.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Homes or businesses with lovely address markers. Like you order a pizza and the dude is late, so gently caress yeah, free pizza! But he's late because you didn't include the loving gate code on your order, and then your house number is so loving faded you can't see it from the street. Or businesses in a multiple story complex that don't include their business name or suite number on the delivery label, so I have 30 floors to search for a M. Mendez.

I had a delivery today to a business that didn't have a sign up, that was about a mile from the main road (oh and it was an unpaved road) and there were no loving signs on the dirt road. Oh, and there was a ton of construction everywhere. Business access openings only for their neighbors right on the street. The delivery was almost late and then all my other ones were borderline late because even after I called the business to say hey, I have a part you guys ordered and said you needed within two hours, no one could give me loving directions other than "there's a white mailbox out front." Well, yes, there was. In front of another address. Cunts.

My boss called and tried to help me with GPS but he couldn't see the construction or the "No left turns" everywhere, so every time he insisted I back and do a U-turn and then just turn left, me insisting I couldn't, led to a near argument where he kept asking why I was going a mile out of the way to turn around. Because none of the streets you mention ARE THROUGH STREETS, JACKASS.

All of this could have been avoided if someone put a loving sign out that their business did in fact exist and was A loving MILE OFF THE MAIN ROAD PAST SEVERAL BROKEN DOWN WAREHOUSES LINED WITH BARBED WIRE.

THat pissed me off once because that made me late for a Job Interview. I couldn't find the building or at least an hour, I thought the business had moved (as did some of the local businesses I asked about it's wearabouts) and the address on the website just hadn't been updated. Needless to say, even though I found it eventually I didn't get the job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

More of a second-hand peeve, but: people who, when paying for their groceries/whatever, want to give exact change but instead of counting out the change themselves they just hold a pile of coins out at the cashier for them to pick through to get the right amount. It mostly annoys me because it's holding up the line but I'd imagine it would doubly annoy me if I were the cashier.

Also: people who don't bag their groceries fast enough, or at least get them out of the way like in your cart or whatever to bag somewhere else. They even have shelves past the register area at most stores explicitly for this purpose. Several times when it's my turn to check out, there will be a person who isn't even close to being out of the way and I still manage to bag everything, pay and leave before the guy in front of me is done packing his poo poo away. I used to think employee baggers were pointless at the stores in the US but they have the right idea I think.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stores that make you return their shopping baskets in front of the register. If I have a basket full of stuff, and you take away the basket, I have to stay in the register area to bag my stuff, or gather everything up awkwardly in my arms and carry it to the bagging area. So I use carts even if it's just two or three things I'm buying.

And while we're at it: stores with lots of registers where only one or two of them are open at any given time, even during lunch or rush hour. And when a new register opens, people behind you who rush to it before you can. Actually let's just say stores that don't have one single line that splits to the different registers at the front, which over here is all of them.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

People who pay in cash and start by rummaging around in places other than their wallet or bag. I don't want to touch bills or change that've been hanging around your pocket/sock/underwear during a Southern summer, thanks. Or any other time, for that matter.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Stores that make you return their shopping baskets in front of the register. If I have a basket full of stuff, and you take away the basket, I have to stay in the register area to bag my stuff, or gather everything up awkwardly in my arms and carry it to the bagging area. So I use carts even if it's just two or three things I'm buying.

And while we're at it: stores with lots of registers where only one or two of them are open at any given time, even during lunch or rush hour. And when a new register opens, people behind you who rush to it before you can. Actually let's just say stores that don't have one single line that splits to the different registers at the front, which over here is all of them.

What kind of poo poo stores do you go to where the bagging area isn't attached to the register?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Nobody knows how to hand me money at the drive through. I get tons of stupid shot like people handing me the change in the bottom, or making weird origami like things, and one time someone made a loving cone out of the bills and threw the money in it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

More of a second-hand peeve, but: people who, when paying for their groceries/whatever, want to give exact change but instead of counting out the change themselves they just hold a pile of coins out at the cashier for them to pick through to get the right amount. It mostly annoys me because it's holding up the line but I'd imagine it would doubly annoy me if I were the cashier.

These people and old farts writing checks in slow-motion calligraphy with their withered old bony hands annoy the gently caress out of me. If it's not that, it's some grandma rummaging in her purse for a half hour to find her magic satchel of useless coins and lint, then counting as slowly as possible because Alzheimer's and dementia make them forget things every 10 seconds.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BOOTY-ADE posted:

These people and old farts writing checks in slow-motion calligraphy with their withered old bony hands annoy the gently caress out of me. If it's not that, it's some grandma rummaging in her purse for a half hour to find her magic satchel of useless coins and lint, then counting as slowly as possible because Alzheimer's and dementia make them forget things every 10 seconds.

What always gets me is that, they're just standing there the whole time the cashier is scanning their stuff, and then when there's a total, they finally start looking for their payment method. YOu were standing there for the last 5 minutes, you could have done it then, make yourself useful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And the people who throw change at you after you've already calculated change, because they want it even. Really throws me off. As if they didn't realize before I punched in their cash total that the change would be coins?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I wish places that we order food from gave more than 60 characters worth of space to type delivery instructions.

I feel bad for whoever delivers our food (or any lyft drivers) because our building is only accessible from a street that's like a block and a half up, and the parking lot curves so it's hard for people to see that the road continues, especially at night.

I try to leave decent tips, at least. :unsmith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Quarter Inch Of Dead Internet.

I'm on my phone, putzing along, and I'm loading a page on my browser. The little blue bar at the top expands as its loading the page.

It stops at a quarter of an inch. If it doesn't move in a few seconds, it's never gonna move on its own. Might not even decide to grace me with a timeout page. Nope, the wifi (its always wifi) died out for a second, and you'll need to turn it off and on again to get the page to load.

And you know it happened because of the Quarter Inch Of Dead Internet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hate when people assume that everyone has played everything. I mentioned once that I had a lot of trouble with the final boss of Suikoden 5, and got dogpiled by people who were all like "It's a pattern through the entire series though? How could you not know that the final bosses are all inherently magic heavy due to being True Runes. The answer? The only one I had beaten was Suikoden 4, which is the only one that doesn't fit the pattern. I had no way of knowing to prioritise magic defense because I hadn't been exposed to the pattern and didn't know what was coming.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Snoo posted:

I wish places that we order food from gave more than 60 characters worth of space to type delivery instructions.

I feel bad for whoever delivers our food (or any lyft drivers) because our building is only accessible from a street that's like a block and a half up, and the parking lot curves so it's hard for people to see that the road continues, especially at night.

I try to leave decent tips, at least. :unsmith:

Oh my god yes.

I need space to say "come to this specific entrance and I will be able to buzz you in. Come to any of the several other entrances to my mazelike building that was conceived and built by Drunk MC Escher and you will probably end up in the magic kingdom of Narnia before you end up anywhere near my apartment."

(My building is actually a pretty cool. Easy to navigate it is not.)

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What kind of poo poo stores do you go to where the bagging area isn't attached to the register?

Sounds like an American Aldi. The bagging area is pretty much wherever you aren't, lord help you if you bought delicate fruits or vegetables, gently caress you its all getting tossed at maximum speed towards the end bumper like a bad pinball machine. Then again, where else can you get 2 weeks worth of food for 30$ in Michigan? I still kind of miss Meijers, what walmart wants to be, but can't be because even Meijers thinks their employees might actually be human.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How about people who insist piercing their baby's ears is cultural and more humane than doing it when the kid can actually talk/make a decision to pierce? Baby ears can get infected, and guess what, ears grow! So do babies! So will those tiny rear end holes grow at the same rate and size? No idea, but my mom's tattoo artist, who is also a piercer, won't work on kids under the age of 8 because of that.

Along that line, one of the only good things my dad did for me was refuse to let my mom get my ears pierced as a baby. He said I had to want it and actually know what it meant. So as soon as I hit grade school, my mom started bugging me about when I wanted to pierce my ears. I didn't. But every month or two we'd pass by a Claire's in the mall and she'd harp about it for another week. Finally about age 10 I gave up and said sure, let's do it. Not only did the two piercers (one was in training, goddamn) gently caress up, but the ears got infected and the loving earrings got stuck.

Now my mom has 6 tats and is bugging me about when I am going to get inked. Maybe next week. Maybe never. Stop acting like a loving teenager wanting to lose his virginity, and thinking that if you keep asking and whining and bothering me about it, I'll give in to get it over with! It worked when I was 10 and was just desperate to make the questions stop. I learned my lesson!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I attend a lot of networking meetings. My pet peeve is when there's a guest speaker and someone has a question that starts out relevant, and they either keep droning on and on or make the question so specifically personal that the answer has no value to anyone else. This is especially aggravating if they cut off the speaker.

"What's the best type of paint to use on this flowerpot? My sister got it for me."

"Well, you-"

"And well my sister and I aren't really close and I want to put it in the kitchen I just rennovated, but the color doesn't match the paint at all and-"

"I would recommend-"

"The pot was something of a surprise in the first place, since my sister and I don't really get along and my birthday was two weeks ago-"

-

Or if it's someone in the financial field, their question becomes so specific that it takes two minutes to lay it out and the answer has no value to anyone else.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now my mom has 6 tats and is bugging me about when I am going to get inked. Maybe next week. Maybe never. Stop acting like a loving teenager wanting to lose his virginity, and thinking that if you keep asking and whining and bothering me about it, I'll give in to get it over with! It worked when I was 10 and was just desperate to make the questions stop. I learned my lesson!

If she starts asking when you're going to take your first hit of LSD or heroin or when you'll take your first trip to jail, maybe she's just really committed to the reverse psychology thing like when parents start pretending to be really into the music or whatever their kid is into to make them stop liking it.

Anyway the bagging area/shelves I was talking at are at Aldi/Lidl type stores, and I assume the structure of the American ones are similar. There's a tiny area past the register where most people just drop it back into their cart and take it over to shelves to bag it. Some stores like Penny/Rewe that I go to more often have bagging areas at the register which is what I was talking about with people blocking the way taking forever to bag their stuff.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cowslips Warren posted:

How about people who insist piercing their baby's ears is cultural and more humane than doing it when the kid can actually talk/make a decision to pierce? Baby ears can get infected, and guess what, ears grow! So do babies! So will those tiny rear end holes grow at the same rate and size? No idea, but my mom's tattoo artist, who is also a piercer, won't work on kids under the age of 8 because of that.

Along that line, one of the only good things my dad did for me was refuse to let my mom get my ears pierced as a baby. He said I had to want it and actually know what it meant. So as soon as I hit grade school, my mom started bugging me about when I wanted to pierce my ears. I didn't. But every month or two we'd pass by a Claire's in the mall and she'd harp about it for another week. Finally about age 10 I gave up and said sure, let's do it. Not only did the two piercers (one was in training, goddamn) gently caress up, but the ears got infected and the loving earrings got stuck.

I agree with your old man's sentiment. I think people who do body-altering things to kids before they have the opportunity to make those decisions for themselves are really hosed in the head. I get things like trigger thumb and birth defects, but taking a perfectly good human and mutilating them for religious/personal reasons while they're young is hosed up on a fundamental level. It kind of bothers me, on a background level, that people think it's ok to cut skin off the genitalia of babies because their parents did it to them. No, let's not perpetuate the chain of mutilation, thank you.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

THE CAN HAS BEEN OPENED

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people assume that everyone has played everything. I mentioned once that I had a lot of trouble with the final boss of Suikoden 5, and got dogpiled by people who were all like "It's a pattern through the entire series though? How could you not know that the final bosses are all inherently magic heavy due to being True Runes. The answer? The only one I had beaten was Suikoden 4, which is the only one that doesn't fit the pattern. I had no way of knowing to prioritise magic defense because I hadn't been exposed to the pattern and didn't know what was coming.

I'm playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time now (it started as a 'let's see how bad this overhyped thing is' run coupled with curiosity about some of the plot, but honestly the game's pretty solid once you leave Midgar, and that point isn't even Midgar's fault), and while I'm not looking anything up myself and am able to look at the overall story with pretty fresh eyes since nobody actually talks about any more than like two story beats regularly, I still have to be careful talking about it.

Sure okay, it's nearly twenty years old, it's well past needing to worry about spoilers. But if I specifically said I'm mostly playing for the story and even making mention of the exact point I'm at, why the gently caress do you immediately spoil poo poo!?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time now (it started as a 'let's see how bad this overhyped thing is' run coupled with curiosity about some of the plot, but honestly the game's pretty solid once you leave Midgar, and that point isn't even Midgar's fault), and while I'm not looking anything up myself and am able to look at the overall story with pretty fresh eyes since nobody actually talks about any more than like two story beats regularly, I still have to be careful talking about it.

Sure okay, it's nearly twenty years old, it's well past needing to worry about spoilers. But if I specifically said I'm mostly playing for the story and even making mention of the exact point I'm at, why the gently caress do you immediately spoil poo poo!?

:( sorry bro, I hate that when that happens. also when people do this with shows/books. Look, dude, I didn't really watch much tv when I was younger, so now that I'm catching up on everything maybe don't spoil the end of everything?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sociopastry posted:

:( sorry bro, I hate that when that happens. also when people do this with shows/books. Look, dude, I didn't really watch much tv when I was younger, so now that I'm catching up on everything maybe don't spoil the end of everything?

Luke Skywalker was dead the whole time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dark Helmet is Anakin Skywalker's third-cousin twice removed. Spoilers.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You must have some extra fancy Aldi stores because the one I go to doesn't have a bagging area or bags. The standard procedure is to put everything back into the cart, push the cart out to your car, then angrily fling the groceries straight into the trunk in between bouts of screaming at your spouse and slapping your children in the face.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You must have some extra fancy Aldi stores because the one I go to doesn't have a bagging area or bags. The standard procedure is to put everything back into the cart, push the cart out to your car, then angrily fling the groceries straight into the trunk in between bouts of screaming at your spouse and slapping your children in the face.

You're supposed to bring your own bags :ssh: The "bagging area" is just the dead space between the registers and the door. If you're lucky there will be a counter or something for you to set poo poo on.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Writer Cath posted:

I attend a lot of networking meetings. My pet peeve is when there's a guest speaker and someone has a question that starts out relevant, and they either keep droning on and on or make the question so specifically personal that the answer has no value to anyone else. This is especially aggravating if they cut off the speaker.

"What's the best type of paint to use on this flowerpot? My sister got it for me."

"Well, you-"

"And well my sister and I aren't really close and I want to put it in the kitchen I just rennovated, but the color doesn't match the paint at all and-"

"I would recommend-"

"The pot was something of a surprise in the first place, since my sister and I don't really get along and my birthday was two weeks ago-"

-

Or if it's someone in the financial field, their question becomes so specific that it takes two minutes to lay it out and the answer has no value to anyone else.

Tying into this, people that think you have to know every detail of every interaction like it's their life story. I've heard comedians bring it up as men vs. women situations, basically guys want the important who/what/where info while women would drone on about insignificant things like the color of clothes or side conversations with no bearing on the story they're telling. If your aunt Gertrude got into a car accident and is in the ICU at a nearby hospital, that's all I need to know - I don't need to know what radio station she was listening to or what she bought on her shopping trip or any of that crap that doesn't matter.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of mutilating infants, there is a dangerous trend going around with speech and feeding development professionals these days where they diagnose tongue tie and lip tie for everything. If you don't know what that is, it's when your lingual or labial frenulum grows all the way to the tip of your upper lip or tongue. The actual condition is vanishingly rare and in the few cases it is present it is almost always treatable with basic exercises. But along comes this advocate doctor (Dr. Ghaheri) who plasters himself all over Facebook and makes a habit of "diagnosing" tongue tie in celebrity baby pictures. The cure is snipping the frenulums on the baby's lip and tongue and engaging in extremely painful manual separation/stretching multiple times per day to keep them from healing. Oh and it costs a thousand bucks.

For some reason this caught on in mommy groups, and later in the speech and feeding service providers (not doctors btw). It became kind of "rebel knowledge" that BIG MEDICAL won't acknowledge, like the danger of vaccines. You read about this condition a lot from people who also spout off about the value of essential oils and how wonderful food allergies are. Suddenly you have all these mommies diagnosing their kids with tongue tie - Trouble breastfeeding? That's tongue tie. Late talker? Tongue tie. No presence of tongue tie? You better believe that's tongue tie. Lazy service providers are getting in on the act. Whatever is wrong with your kid it's definitely tongue tie and if your doctor says it's not then you need to shop around for one who will cut on your baby's tongue.

It's frustrating because it's become one of those trends that becomes stronger the more evidence piles up against it. "They don't want you to know". For some reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Tying into this, people that think you have to know every detail of every interaction like it's their life story. I've heard comedians bring it up as men vs. women situations, basically guys want the important who/what/where info while women would drone on about insignificant things like the color of clothes or side conversations with no bearing on the story they're telling. If your aunt Gertrude got into a car accident and is in the ICU at a nearby hospital, that's all I need to know - I don't need to know what radio station she was listening to or what she bought on her shopping trip or any of that crap that doesn't matter.

Not to confirm stereotypes, but this is the difference between my parents. My mom is the worst storyteller ever, because she doesn't leave out unnecessary details and tangents. My dad gets straight to the point. I usually call each of them once a week when I need a break from work, and it usually takes 15 more minutes to talk to my mom about the same number of topics.

Part of it is that her attention span is much higher than my dad's though. He's really become a terrible listener.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kind of related: people who keep asking for details after you've told them all that you know. Usually it happens when you tell someone about a text, like if you hear that a mutual friend got in a car accident and is at the hospital. You can even show them the text where that's all you were told, but you'll still get an unending flood of "who else was in the car? are they ok? who was driving? what happened to the other driver? what did the police say? what room are they in? do they need any help?" followed by "don't you know ANYTHING?". I've already told you literally all that I know about the situation, what more do you want from me.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That kind of reminds me of when people ask me about my older brother (2 years older than me). I still live in my hometown, but he moved away ~3 years back. Whenever I see people that we both knew in high school, they always ask me for details about what he's up to. It's just kind of annoying since we haven't exchanged more than 5 words with each other since he moved. I always have to just tell them "I don't know, why don't you ask him?" It's even worse when they don't even bother asking about me. You know: the person they're talking to.

drat, that makes me sound like an rear end-hole.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not to confirm stereotypes, but this is the difference between my parents. My mom is the worst storyteller ever, because she doesn't leave out unnecessary details and tangents. My dad gets straight to the point. I usually call each of them once a week when I need a break from work, and it usually takes 15 more minutes to talk to my mom about the same number of topics.

My parents are the complete opposite. My dad will always go on long unnecessary tangents and can spend 10 minutes on a story that should have lasted 30 seconds. It is extremely annoying, especially because he'll get really offended if you point out the fact that he's going on a tangent*. My mom is far more concise and logical, compared with my dad who is more of a "passionate artist" type, and I've only ever seen her cry once in my entire life when our dog died (and I'm 30 so that's a pretty long time).

The fact that I've always been interested in less openly emotional/needy women probably has something to do with the type of relationship I saw between my parents growing up. The idea of the woman being the more calm/logical one feels more normal to me, even though I know the stereotype is the opposite.

* This actually ties into another pet peeve; I really hate it when people say "that's just the way I am" or "that's just my personality" when you criticize them.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People who build a personality around being like the edgy one or the one who's an rear end in a top hat or the sarcastic person are so hard to like. Or the LOGICAL person to bring that back round to what made me think of it

Be a whole person you dork

Be a NICE whole person, people like nice people!!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's also the fact that piercing guns are literally impossible to completely disinfect, because they are made with plastic parts which can't be run through an autoclave without damaging them. It shouldn't be allowed to pierce ANYONE with a piercing gun, let alone a baby, because of the heightened risk of infection.

On top of that, piercing guns inflict more undue pain & damage than needles, because the earrings used with them are blunt. Piercing needles are sharp, like the ones used to administer vaccinations, so they go right through much more easily and less traumatically. It's bad enough that people pierce lobes, but cartilage can SHATTER when subjected to a piercing gun, which, though completely horrifying even to think about on its own, can prolong healing a great deal or permanently disfigure someone.

Anyway, I was pierced at a jewelry store when I was 4 months old, and even though I do like wearing earrings a whole lot, I'm not exactly happy about what was done to me. Piercing infants (or anyone, with a piercing gun) is loving barbaric.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

teenytinymouse posted:

People who build a personality around being like the edgy one or the one who's an rear end in a top hat or the sarcastic person are so hard to like. Or the LOGICAL person to bring that back round to what made me think of it

Be a whole person you dork

Be a NICE whole person, people like nice people!!!!

But not a "nice guy". That's just going too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Intoluene posted:

But not a "nice guy". That's just going too far.

Nice Guys™ aren't nice people, nothing about that mindset is kind and I hate that they've ruined the word nice with their lies