Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Check out Flamu's recent video on the Mogami...the short of it is, stick to the A hull and 155mm guns.

why the A hull? The rudder shift from the later hull definitely seems to help. That said, Mogami just feels like a whale compared to the myoko and the NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Torbo posted:

why the A hull? The rudder shift from the later hull definitely seems to help. That said, Mogami just feels like a whale compared to the myoko and the NO.

The hull upgrades add over a km to surface detection.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

El Disco posted:

The hull upgrades add over a km to surface detection.

i see that now. perhaps thats why i've been sucking so very very hard in that ship.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The rotation rate of the 155s is just stupid unfun.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Torbo posted:

i see that now. perhaps thats why i've been sucking so very very hard in that ship.

That's not the whole truth though, B hull adds 1.4km to concealment ranger after firing the main gun. So unless you are running a 15pt captain you aren't going to notice it that much since with stealth module the concealment difference between maximum range and stealth firing is a whole 200m. You just have to kinda play it like a DD/Battlecruiser hybrid, use your concealment and maneuver yourself into position while keeping in mind that your turning circle and turret traverse is like a BB. The most fun is against german BB since you can pretty much melt them with HE.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The best way to play the Mogami is to go back in time and play it before it got turbo-nerfed.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh boy, they finally added a new battleship line. Now to relearn aiming.

The Nassau makes me sad.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 30, 2016

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

El Disco posted:

The best way to play the Mogami is to go back in time and play it before it got turbo-nerfed.

Yep, pretty much. It was incredible, and then you got the Ibuki at T9, which was basically just a higher-tier Myoko. From the soaring heights of triumphant naval supremacy, to the crushing milquetoast depths of boring mediocrity. And then right back up to the stratosphere when you get the Zao :getin:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Devorum posted:

Downside: Getting tossed in T9 games.

Extra downside: Getting tossed into T9 games against people who consider spending $45+ dollars on a single item in a 'free' game akin to committing mass genocide (because their wife/mom won't let them buy one).

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Generally speaking, what are the decent mods now? They've integrated pretty much everything I used Aslains for in the past into the base game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Extra downside: Getting tossed into T9 games against people who consider spending $45+ dollars on a single item in a 'free' game akin to committing mass genocide (because their wife/mom won't let them buy one).

To be completely fair, isn't the general reasoning not so much how much they paid, but rather that there are a bunch of idiots who don't even remotely belong in high tier battles, having basically no other experience in the game to begin with, who shelled out for T7-8 premiums and proceed to just utterly gently caress around - at best being a wasted slot, and at worst actively detrimental to their team? Not that there aren't plenty of rather skilled players who also buy and play them, or that plenty of people in high tier battles don't belong there irrespective of how many matches they've played, but that is usually the reasoning I've seen.

Best I had recently involving idiot premium buyers was a few days ago when I called out a retard Scharnhorst on my team in open chat. It was a T5-7 match, on one of the earlier maps, and he'd basically gone through the cap furthest from where the enemy team was, then proceeded to gradually edge around the map, with an Aoba right next to him because of course we couldn't just have one idiot, not far from the border being utterly worthless until the entire match until the rest of the team was dead. Anyways, he proceeded to get into a slugging match with a Kongo at sub-7 km... and shot HE at the Kongo's broadside. Repeatedly - in fact never switching to AP. THIS is what I called him out for, only to have multiple players on the enemy team tell me that's how it's supposed to be played. I mean, it "only" has 280 mm guns. Sure, even in an 8" gun cruiser I'd likely be getting at the least pens, and possibly some citadels, on a loving Kongo broadside at that range, but apparently I was the one who had no clue how a ship like that should be played.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

To be completely fair, isn't the general reasoning not so much how much they paid, but rather that there are a bunch of idiots who don't even remotely belong in high tier battles, having basically no other experience in the game to begin with, who shelled out for T7-8 premiums and proceed to just utterly gently caress around - at best being a wasted slot, and at worst actively detrimental to their team? Not that there aren't plenty of rather skilled players who also buy and play them, or that plenty of people in high tier battles don't belong there irrespective of how many matches they've played, but that is usually the reasoning I've seen.

This is basically how I feel right now, at least the wasted slot part. I don't think I've been an active detriment yet. I'm working to get better, though.

EDIT: I can say that invisible DDs firing forever makes me not want to go past T6 with any other line.

The only thing less fun is the infinite plane sky cancer.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 31, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hammerstein posted:

At short range the dispersion of the Dunkerque becomes criminally tight. That Mogami was simply deleted.

I have to admit this tempts me to buy a 'Dunker,' since I like to get up close with BBs, but I've already given Wargaming the better part of a Benjamin this month, and while I'm sure they'll take their sweet time putting the Schotgun up for doubloons, the Dunker probably will go up pretty promptly, and I'm almost *certain* they'll keep the Skorpion cash-only for a *good* long time, since they know every time a pubbie gets wrecked by one, they can expect another sale.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I ran into one of those the other day with my Scharnhorst. He was on my team and proceeded to ask what the point of having a Scharnhorst was. Me and the rest of my team told him it's a cruiser killer first and foremost but he wouldn't shut up about how stupid people were for buying premium ships. He then proceeded to run his Bayern into a line of torps.

Oh well, my cooler streak finally ended after taking my Colorado out for a bit tonight.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Pseudophile posted:

Generally speaking, what are the decent mods now? They've integrated pretty much everything I used Aslains for in the past into the base game.

I'm using fog remover, running lights, health bars for each ship, and torpedobeat. Also brighter shells because the new ones still don't do it for me.

Test server is basically 7 v 7 to 12 v 12 BBs right now. Armor viewer looks really good and the epicenter mode is pretty brawly.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The curse of the Shepherd

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JacksLibido posted:

I think I'm in the minority here but I absolutely DESPISE the German BB's prior to Bayern. 39.29% W/R Koenig compared to 63.64% with the NY, 40.00% W/R with Kaiser compared to 55.17% with Wyoming, and 16.67% W/R (16 games) with Nassau compared to 56.25% with the SC.

IMO the König is good. I don't see why anyone would voluntarily play the Nassau or even the Kaiser though. While you could argue they're better than the Jap and US low tier BBs that merely makes them less poo poo and not good.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Absolutely all T3 and T4 BBs are horrible to play, yes the German ones are the least horrible but still dreadful. I had forgotten this because it was so long since I played Wyoming and Myogi, but I won't be doing it again.

The Konig is a legit good ship though. It kind of feels worse than it should currently because like the Nassau and Kaiser, it can't citadel itself. But IMO its much better than New York and very close to Kongo.

I think the Bayern is by far the best T6 BB after about 15 games in it. Its dispersion seems a huge amount better than New Mex and Fuso, its secondaries are actually useful, and it feels as tough as the New Mex while being as fast as the Fuso.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kaiser struggles to citadel anything, let alone itself. Sure can take a beating and keep on going though.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Still a good ship :colbert: Also pretty cheap for a T8 since the only module you need to install is the fire control system :v:

edit: Just never ever be focus fired, the ship is made out of guns, paper and citadels.

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 31, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

edit: Just never ever be focus fired, the ship is made out of guns, paper and citadels.

Are there any cruisers which aren't made out of guns, paper and citadels? I've pretty much stalled with the mid-tier cruisers since as soon as someone starts shooting at me I explode.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MadJackMcJack posted:

Are there any cruisers which aren't made out of guns, paper and citadels? I've pretty much stalled with the mid-tier cruisers since as soon as someone starts shooting at me I explode.

St. Louis, apparently Moskva, Cleveland, Myoko is relatively sturdy at tier

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrTK5xYZLQ

I'd side with ATSF there, probably because of the guns it goes against.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's been said that Moskva can bounce Yamato shells with its nose, pretty sure not much else in the game can do that, but tier 7 is where I'm at thus far

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Whoa I had a bad streak last night; playing like a drunk pubbie; although I ended with a good Hatsu match. The Hatsu guns suck for a number of reasons, but it is fun when I get the jump on some other DD with slowish rotating guns like Blys and put ~4400 in damage on to him from my guns and forcing him to run into a torpedo.

Lord Koth posted:

Best I had recently involving idiot premium buyers was a few days ago when I called out a retard Scharnhorst on my team in open chat. It was a T5-7 match, on one of the earlier maps, and he'd basically gone through the cap furthest from where the enemy team was, then proceeded to gradually edge around the map, with an Aoba right next to him because of course we couldn't just have one idiot, not far from the border being utterly worthless until the entire match until the rest of the team was dead. Anyways, he proceeded to get into a slugging match with a Kongo at sub-7 km... and shot HE at the Kongo's broadside. Repeatedly - in fact never switching to AP. THIS is what I called him out for, only to have multiple players on the enemy team tell me that's how it's supposed to be played. I mean, it "only" has 280 mm guns. Sure, even in an 8" gun cruiser I'd likely be getting at the least pens, and possibly some citadels, on a loving Kongo broadside at that range, but apparently I was the one who had no clue how a ship like that should be played.

:saddowns: Sweet Odin that's stupid; that's very, very stupid.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

blowfish posted:

IMO the König is good. I don't see why anyone would voluntarily play the Nassau or even the Kaiser though. While you could argue they're better than the Jap and US low tier BBs that merely makes them less poo poo and not good.

kaesarsosei posted:

Absolutely all T3 and T4 BBs are horrible to play, yes the German ones are the least horrible but still dreadful. I had forgotten this because it was so long since I played Wyoming and Myogi, but I won't be doing it again.

The Konig is a legit good ship though. It kind of feels worse than it should currently because like the Nassau and Kaiser, it can't citadel itself. But IMO its much better than New York and very close to Kongo.

NTRabbit posted:

Kaiser struggles to citadel anything, let alone itself. Sure can take a beating and keep on going though.

The Nassau is legit horrible and unfun. But the Kaiser is incredible. It's easily the best BB in the tier and may come close to competing with the Clemson for the best ship in the tier. I know you'll all think I'm crazy, but those German 12 inch guns are really loving good at that tier thanks to their ridiculous pen and 20 second reload. It simply dominates everything. Yeah you won't citadel other BBs, but you won't have to because lol for some reason you still did 10K= damage in that salvo

The Konig is also legit good as I've been saying. It's basically a Kaiser with reconfigured, but the same, guns and more armor. But the NY and Kongo have larger caliber guns so the advantage is less pronounced.

I only just got the Bayern so I haven't made a judgement yet compared to the New Mex, but so far I like it in the two or three games I've played.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You won't even citadel cruisers in the Kaiser though, shells just pen or overpen, I'm nearly finished and I think I've had 3 citadels total, two of which were into a point blank St. Louis right on the waterline.

Sure, it's hugely survivable, I just crumped a goober Kongo in it at ramming range with only 3k hp left by driving around it, bouncing everything, and beating it with secondary damage and main gun AP into the superstructure, coming back out with 1800hp, but it's really irritating not being able to properly punish broadside cruisers, and having to take 4 or 5 salvos to finish what should take 1 or 2.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NTRabbit posted:

You won't even citadel cruisers in the Kaiser though, shells just pen or overpen, I'm nearly finished and I think I've had 3 citadels total, two of which were into a point blank St. Louis right on the waterline.

I don't know what to tell you other than that this hasn't been my experience. I pooped on broadside cruisers in the Kaiser. As I'm sure this thread is tired of hearing since I've been going on about it for like three pages now, but my experiences with the Kaiser and Konig have been hugely positive. It's made me super pumped for the rest of the tree especially since now I'm at the Bayern which is pretty much unanimously well-regarded by everybody.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First battle in a stock Koenig with a retraining captain was a badly balanced bottom tier one, it did not go well

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

First battle in a stock [SHIP_NAME] with a retraining captain was bottom tier, it did not go well

I fixed your post so that it applies to almost every ship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

True, but the balancer decided us having an Omaha and them having a Cleveland was close enough.

Also they could have at least made it tier 6, bottom tier blows - second battle, bottom tier again, fmd

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 31, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

The Nassau makes me sad.

Excuse me the Nassau owns dude. Nut up and drive into a bunch of cruisers/dds and loving wreck them. You have insanely thick armor for a T3 and can play with T4 BBs just fine.

I had a couple stinker games (note the 30% survival rate), but usually I was pulling 60k+ damage games in this thing by just sailing into the teeth of the enemy and ripping poo poo apart until I died.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

I don't know what to tell you other than that this hasn't been my experience. I pooped on broadside cruisers in the Kaiser. As I'm sure this thread is tired of hearing since I've been going on about it for like three pages now, but my experiences with the Kaiser and Konig have been hugely positive. It's made me super pumped for the rest of the tree especially since now I'm at the Bayern which is pretty much unanimously well-regarded by everybody.

The Bayern reminds me of a Warspite with slightly less-good guns but with what Warspite armour should actually feel like.

The Bismarck, when you get to it, is supposed to be an incredible ship. Most people will focus on those 10km secondaries because it's fun to poo poo out the little shells, but the main draw is its ludicrous survivability and being a more defensive-playstyle Tirpitz with german hydro.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 31, 2016

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I decided to reinstall this after not playing since last year.

It seems captain skills have been reset. What are the recommended skills for the different ship types now?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Viperidae posted:

I decided to reinstall this after not playing since last year.

It seems captain skills have been reset. What are the recommended skills for the different ship types now?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705704&pagenumber=425#post456457238

This, except situational awareness is now a default skill for every captain, so at rank 1 battleships take basics of survivability, destroyers take BFT, and cruisers take either one of those on a case to case basis.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 31, 2016

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
Awesome! Thanks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What's the consensus on the Russian cruisers in general? I love the German and IJN Cruiser gameplay but not the American as much, primarily because I can't handle floaty shells. I know they're fragile and annoying with HE, but are they enjoyable?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Russian cruiser tree, just like their destroyer one, has multiple tiers where it can lay claim to being the best overall - often to the point of being OP. Hell, even at T3 the Bogatyr has fast firing, long-ranged guns that have a rather flat arc. This was something I was reminded of recently when I took it for a spin on the PT server. Admittedly this was with a 15 point captain, but even then it's rather horrifying as no other cruiser can take advantage of BFT/AFT to quite the same extent. T3 battleships just got burned down without ever having a chance to get within range.

Budyonny at T6 and the Moskva at T10 are also extremely notable at being far more powerful than they probably should be - though the Moskva shares that mantle with the Zao, admittedly for different reasons. Shchors is up there as well, though perhaps not quite OP.

As for the line overall, generally long-ranged, fast-firing guns that have good arcs, fast travel time, and generally decent access to both HE and AP. The guns are smaller than everyone else's (aside from Moskva), with a huge portion of the line having 152s, but the meta has arguably always favored rapid-firing cruisers spamming HE anyways. Even Moskva gets stupid fast firing speed for some unknown reason (9.1 second reload speed with its 220 mm guns and the firing speed module). Their higher tier cruisers also gain access to the RADAR consumable - because the USSR sure was known for their proficiency in that field - with their variant being distinctive from the US version by only lasting 20 (25 on Moskva) seconds, but having significantly more range.

Their "weakness" per se, is rather weak armor and large turning circles.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That can be a real and serious weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're also enormous, comparable in size to battleships, which makes them really easy to hit while doing their death turns, and the 152mm AP at tier 6 through 8 seriously struggles to pen anything at all. I haven't enjoyed any of them.