Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://m.androidcentral.com/end-nexus-2016-google-phones-forge-new-path

Nexus is dead long live Nexus.

The phones will like drop Nexus branding this year and Google will likely move away from vanilla Android for them, adding more closed source customizations. This is likely the reason they didn't launch the same time as Nougat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

The phones will like drop Nexus branding this year and Google will likely move away from vanilla Android for them, adding more closed source customizations. This is likely the reason they didn't launch the same time as Nougat.

Good news! They're licensing TouchWiz from Samsung.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Train posted:

I think something like this will let you snooze notifications when you swipe rather than dismiss them, may allow pinning as well

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.achep.headsup

Checking this out. Thank you!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JayKay posted:

Good news! They're licensing TouchWiz from Samsung.

Will the default font be Comic Sans too because that would be exactly what the world needs

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

As Nexus phones are basically the only phones running vanilla Android, whatever the branding on these new phones is will in effect become vanilla Android...at least to those whose desire for vanilla Android stems from the user experience Google designs rather than those who have an ideological commitment to open source and whatnot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

As Nexus phones are basically the only phones running vanilla Android, whatever the branding on these new phones is will in effect become vanilla Android...at least to those whose desire for vanilla Android stems from the user experience Google designs rather than those who have an ideological commitment to open source and whatnot.

Depends on a lot of things. Biggest among those is the uncertainty around the architects of those changes. It may not be the same team since that team would still be designing the AOSP ui and Google isn't always consistent with design language across teams.

I do think it's overdue that the Google devices get baked a little longer for polish, but it seems odd for Google to compete more openly with their partners.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Also seeing a couple articles stating the Marlin not-named-a-nexus will be $599 :wtc:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Also seeing a couple articles stating the Marlin not-named-a-nexus will be $599 :wtc:

That's not really surprising, that's cheap for a flagship phablet actually.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Syrinxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS-Ma5DiZE4

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My favorite version of Android, even over stock, is Moto's "mostly stock, but with a couple nifty tweaks". Fight me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

XIII posted:

My favorite version of Android, even over stock, is Moto's "mostly stock, but with a couple nifty tweaks". Fight me.

Only used a moto briefly but thats fair

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Can't wait for those EU prices. 32GB version 750€.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

I like the fit and finish of Android on my fiance's Moto X more than my Nexus 6.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

Can't wait for those EU prices. 32GB version 750€.

And no sd slot. Hopefully they at least ship some good lube with the phone.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

XIII posted:

It's so good that Android just lifted cool features from Moto phones!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Yeah, not seeing the landmark shifting that article implies. Nexus phones haven't been AOSP android in years. They've been Google's skin just like touchwiz is Samsung's skin.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I was using an HTC 10 for two weeks and now that I'm looking back on the photos I took with it every single goddamn one is slightly blurry even though I wiped the lens with a microfiber cloth, tapped to focus, and held the phone as steady as I'd hold the Droid Turbo.

Returning it today. It's pretty good but not $700 good. This experiment has reinforced that a 5.2 in. phone might be the perfect size for me and that I can't live without QuickCharge on the go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably too cheap

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

Counter-point: Moto Voice does not add enough over the stock version to make it worth being so much slower.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Counter-point: Moto Voice does not add enough over the stock version to make it worth being so much slower.

I never noticed it being slower, but ok.

Consider how much S-voice sucks for an example of a lovely OEM implementation.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lowen SoDium posted:

I never noticed it being slower, but ok.

Consider how much S-voice sucks for an example of a lovely OEM implementation.

On my 2014 Moto X there's always been a noticeable delay in processing a voice command, especially a search.

I haven't tried out S Voice on my new Note 7. Have they changed the horrible synthesized voice yet? I note that there is an option to set a custom wake phrase, which is good because "Hi Galaxy" is kind of dumb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just use Google Now/"OK Google"?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nimper posted:

On my 2014 Moto X there's always been a noticeable delay in processing a voice command, especially a search.

yeah, it was really slow the first few times I tried it on mine and I gave up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, not seeing the landmark shifting that article implies. Nexus phones haven't been AOSP android in years. They've been Google's skin just like touchwiz is Samsung's skin.
Google generally haven't screwed around with the core framework on Nexus devices. They've shipped an exclusive launcher, camera app, and the odd little feature in settings, but things like the navigation bar, lockscreen, notifications, these have always been stock. If they start modifying these than that will be a new step compared to Nexus devices of the past.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
And now for the next chapter in the USB-C poo poo show...:stonk:

Galaxy Note 7 shipments delayed as Samsung conducts additional quality tests http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-7-shipments-delayed-samsung-conducts-additional-quality-tests

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Galaxy Note 7 shipments delayed as Samsung conducts additional quality tests http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-7-shipments-delayed-samsung-conducts-additional-quality-tests

Shouldn't be a problem as long as every consumer everywhere does extensive research on every cable and charger they ever come in contact with from now until the end of time. No big deal.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

Shouldn't be a problem as long as every consumer everywhere does extensive research on every cable and charger they ever come in contact with from now until the end of time. No big deal.

I have had my note7 for almost 2 weeks and havent plugged it in yet. Amazing battery life combined with wireless charging means I'll only need cables on days I'm doing really long drives with extensive phone use before I can make it to a wireless charger.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Jesus christ usb-c is a mess

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eyebeem posted:

I have had my note7 for almost 2 weeks and havent plugged it in yet. Amazing battery life combined with wireless charging means I'll only need cables on days I'm doing really long drives with extensive phone use before I can make it to a wireless charger.

I can recommend this for those long car journeys.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish apple made a usb-c to lightning connector.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

With the way things are going with USB-C, that connector may be more literal than intended.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

With the right USB-C connector any phone can ride the lightning.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I haven't followed it much, but isn't it more "shoddy out of spec cables are a mess", and less "usb-c is a mess"? Or is there something about usb-c itself that isn't good and should be changed? Obviously the end result isn't good either way for the consumer, but there's no reason to avoid usb-c if you take the time to get a good cable, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

I haven't followed it much, but isn't it more "shoddy out of spec cables are a mess", and less "usb-c is a mess"? Or is there something about usb-c itself that isn't good and should be changed?

Biggest issue is they didn't put any proper certification oversight on things. So there's no way for consumers to know if things met spec. I think that's changing soon though.

However, if even a proven quality manufacturer like Anker can get caught out and have to issue a cable recall, clearly there's something about the spec that can be difficult to implement.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Because I don't own a set of calipers (I know... it's on the list) does anyone have an idea on the thickness of an S7 non-edge in an Incipio case? I need to order a proclip to attach the thing my car (There's no good place to attach the thing to the windshield, and the texture of the dash keeps dashmount suction cups from adhering) and they've got two different models depending on the thickness of the phone+case:

"For device thickness from 6-10 mm and width from 62-77 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-small-to-medium-cases-246824-19963.cmsv
"Device thickness: 9-13 mm and Width adjustment: 75-89 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-device-with-a-rugged-case-246850-19963.cmsv

Am I correct in assuming that only Otterbox-defender style cases will require the bigger holder and my two-ply plastic/rubber thing will not?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kytrarewn posted:

Because I don't own a set of calipers (I know... it's on the list) does anyone have an idea on the thickness of an S7 non-edge in an Incipio case? I need to order a proclip to attach the thing my car (There's no good place to attach the thing to the windshield, and the texture of the dash keeps dashmount suction cups from adhering) and they've got two different models depending on the thickness of the phone+case:

"For device thickness from 6-10 mm and width from 62-77 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-small-to-medium-cases-246824-19963.cmsv
"Device thickness: 9-13 mm and Width adjustment: 75-89 mm." http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-holders/device/samsung/galaxy-s7/adjustable-holder-for-device-with-a-rugged-case-246850-19963.cmsv

Am I correct in assuming that only Otterbox-defender style cases will require the bigger holder and my two-ply plastic/rubber thing will not?

You're making this way too hard. Just look for the dimensions of the Incipio case you have.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

nimper posted:

You're making this way too hard. Just look for the dimensions of the Incipio case you have.

Good idea. So:

quote:

Length 5.83 inches (148.08 mm)
Width 2.96 inches (75.18 mm)
Weight 0.1 lb (1.6 oz)
Depth 0.48 inches (12.19 mm)

Guess I've got to get the big holder.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Biggest issue is they didn't put any proper certification oversight on things. So there's no way for consumers to know if things met spec. I think that's changing soon though.
Doing USB testing at work, this has always been an issue. We have plenty of workloads that cause USB 3.0 cables to introduce failures, however most consumers won't encounter them in their day to day usage. It's also possible that consumers see issues and just unplug the device and plug it back in and chalk it up to random device quirkiness.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My One M8's port is giving up the ghost and doesn't want to charge, are there any compelling arguments against getting Samsung'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

nimper posted:

I was actually just looking into that for my S7 Edge. I have a panavise mount that I've used since my first gen iPhone.

I ordered one of these magnetic wireless charging docks because for the price it's worth the gamble.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLLYRUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hope is I can use that in conjunction with a Garmin ball mount plate (assuming the diameter of their ball mount matches).

I'll report back on how well it works if anyone's curious.