Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I'm trying to decide whether to go up a tier in WRs or RBs. Here are the two likely pairings:

Freeman/Charles/Ingram/McCoy + Landry/Maclin/Cobb

Forte/Mathews/Stewart/D.Murray/Bernard + Allen/Jeffery/Evans

My projections have the players between the slashes as being in the same tier. In the first option, I get a high tier RB and a mid tier WR. In the second option, I get the reverse, a high tier WR + a mid tier RB. My custom projections have the first combo coming out on average being worth $5 auction dollars more, but I hate to be missing out on the potential of the WRs in the second combo. Which pairing would you take in 0.5 PPR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
How early are you fellas reaching for Josh Gordon? My gameplan right now is to try and nab him in the 6th (12 man snake, picking 8th).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leperflesh posted:

competent

Christian Ponder

I don't have much to add but I just don't want this to go unnoticed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I said competent backup. Ponder is a league veteran who can hold a clipboard like nobody's business; he understands the game, knows playbooks, etc.

He is not and never will be good enough for a team to want him as their starting QB, but if you're the Vikings and you are looking at your QB options, a guy like Ponder suddenly starts being pretty attractive. Regardless, any team that loses their starting QB for at least half a season pretty much has to add a QB to the roster, because you never want to be going into a game without backup at the position.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leperflesh posted:

He is not and never will be good enough for a team to want him as their starting QB, but if you're the Vikings and you are looking at your QB options, a guy like Ponder suddenly starts being pretty attractive.

No he does not.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boosh! posted:

How early are you fellas reaching for Josh Gordon? My gameplan right now is to try and nab him in the 6th (12 man snake, picking 8th).

He went in the 6th and 7th round in both of my 10 man non-ppr drafts this weekend. I personally think that's way too soon, but the upside is certainly there.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Would anyone drop either of these two receivers to pick up Spencer Ware in Half PPR? I am very RB-needy but not sure if that is worth it. I could drop Kamar Aiken or Sterling Shepard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

No he does not.

Then who? Go on, list the QBs available in the league that the Vikings would consider bringing in and adding to the roster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Would anyone drop either of these two receivers to pick up Spencer Ware in Half PPR? I am very RB-needy but not sure if that is worth it. I could drop Kamar Aiken or Sterling Shepard.

I think it depends on who your starting WR and RBs are. Like, you're talking about dropping a backup WR to pick up a backup RB, so it matters how much each player is likely to wind up being a starter for you later in the season.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Leperflesh posted:

Then who? Go on, list the QBs available in the league that the Vikings would consider bringing in and adding to the roster.

They should try to trade for McCown.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I'd say Sterling is the safer drop, but it'd be tough to drop either based on the Ware speculation.

I did drop DeVante Parker for Ware (don't have Charles) in a .5 ppr.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Boosh! posted:

That's an early reach. I grabbed him in the 9th and two buddies confirmed he would have been their choice had I not gotten him. His ADP in .5 ppr is 8.9.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Leperflesh posted:

I think it depends on who your starting WR and RBs are. Like, you're talking about dropping a backup WR to pick up a backup RB, so it matters how much each player is likely to wind up being a starter for you later in the season.

WRs: Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin (Marvin Jones on bench)
RBs: Eddie Lacy, Latavius Murray, Deandre Washington, Jerrick McKinnon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leperflesh posted:

Mark Sanchez is about to be available. Otherwise make a trade with one of our thirty low draft picks, there's plenty of QBs out there that we can probably get with a 5th or 6th rounder. And all of them are a better option than Ponder.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

LmaoTheKid posted:

The browns want a 4th for McCown. Is write off this season at that price.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I can't imagine you are RB-needy at this early stage. You are probably just weak at that position, and usually most teams will have some weakness to them.

You can get the most out of Ware by swinging Ware to Charles' owner for a bench RB guy like Jennings, Crowell, Woodhead. That way you get someone who will be serviceable the rest of the season. Predicting Ware's production very early into in the season will not be easy and the longer into the season we go, the more Charles will assume lead back duties.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Suave Fedora posted:

That's an early reach. I grabbed him in the 9th and two buddies confirmed he would have been their choice had I not gotten him. His ADP in .5 ppr is 8.9.

I have a feeling there will be others waiting to pounce on him a round or two before his ADP. Who did you get in the 6th? 7th? Low upside guys like Desean and Crabtree are the usual suspects available when I'm doing my mocks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually said Mark Sanchez:

Leperflesh posted:

Teams are cutting now and there are competent backup QBs to be had. Vikes will surely pick one up. Mark Sanchez? Christian Ponder, maybe?

Then again Zach Mettenberger is also available, so things could get worse.

LmaoTheKid posted:

The Browns are starting RGIII. I think they'd be dumb to trade away McCown (which means maybe they'll do it) but what would they want for him? More draft picks? They already have all the draft picks. And who are they going to get to be their backup behind RGIII if they trade away McCown? Cody Kessler does not cut it.

It makes little sense for any team to trade away their good backup QB. Most teams roster three QBs and the only ones they're gonna trade away is their #3, at best. A few teams have 4, and even then, they're only trading their #2 if their #3 is good enough and they're desperate at some other position and getting a good option to fill it.

So that means Sanchez, Mettenberger.... and maybe Ponder. Christian Ponder is not a good QB but you guys are acting like he wouldn't be a reasonable backup for Shaun Hill. A man who, in 9 games for the Rams in 2014, threw a grand total of 8 touchdowns... and 7 interceptions, with 1 rushing TD. 63.3% passing reception rate. Compare to Ponder's 2013 season with the Vikings; in 9 games, 7 passing TDs and 9 interceptions, with 4 rushing tds. 63.6% passing reception rate. Those are strikingly similar records.

If the Vikings can get Sanchez, they should get him. If they can somehow get McCown, absolutely. But if not? Ponder is a very reasonable guy to slot in behind Shaun Hill.

e. I mean. Ponder has four years with the Vikings. He knows the playbook, and that's not trivial. He could show up and start handing the ball to AP immediately.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Boosh! posted:

I have a feeling there will be others waiting to pounce on him a round or two before his ADP. Who did you get in the 6th? 7th? Low upside guys like Desean and Crabtree are the usual suspects available when I'm doing my mocks.

Gordon's ADP is bullshit. He is going much earlier now after the last preseaon game. Take him in the 6th, but take him in the 5th if you want to be positive you get him.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Boosh! posted:

I took Gordon in the 8th of my 12 team draft, but got John Brown and Arian Foster (lol) the preceding two rounds. Definitely should have taken him over at least Foster in retrospect. 6th round Gordon pick doesn't seem like a catastrophic reach in any case. :shrug:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Leperflesh posted:

If the Vikings signed Christian Ponder there would be passive-aggressive riots in the streets

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If Gordon stays clean he's worth a 2nd round pick. But there's pretty drat good odds he can't stay off the weed and the next time he gets caught, his NFL career is clearly over.

So what do you do with a guy who has huge upside but infinite downside? When do you draft him?

In my book, you draft him no higher than a pick level at which you can afford to lose that player and have to drop him at any point. E.g., after all of your WR and RB starting slots are full. In a league with RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX that means sixth round or later, and if a good QB is there in the sixth, I'm taking him over Brown.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If the Vikings signed Christian Ponder there would be passive-aggressive riots in the streets

I may not have realized the degree to which the man is hated in Minnesota.

But nobody should like Shaun Hill better.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
In my league with people I know who aren't too savvy, Gordon went 10.4 in a 10 man league. In my 12 man Goon league he went 6.6. Interpret that as you may.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some rear end in a top hat in my league just offered me Josh Gordon, Moncrief and next year's 4th rounder for my Lamar Miller and Giovani Bernard. :wtf:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

kiimo posted:

Some rear end in a top hat in my league just offered me Josh Gordon, Moncrief and next year's 4th rounder for my Lamar Miller and Giovani Bernard. :wtf:

Sure dude! Let me hand over a 1st round RB and 6th round RB for a 4th round WR2, 6th round WR with tons of flags, and a 4th rounder next year!

Some people I swear.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Colt McCoy might make for a decent trade from the Redskins to Minnesota. He did well enough the few games he played before he got hurt, Washington has a rookie QB that would be a serviceable backup while the team tanks for a high pick should Cousins get hurt or fail, and it's not like the Vikings need a dynamic QB.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mike Glennon?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Vikings are an inevitable whirlpool of dysfunction spiraling into the undertow of despair. Nothing they do matters. They are nihilism incarnate. Do not waste breath prognosticating on the shuffling of their deck chairs and just stop drafting their players like you should've been doing since 2006

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Boosh! posted:

Then let them pounce. Don't blow a 6th-round pick on a guy who's missing 30% of the fantasy season.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The best option for MN right now is probably :lol: Brian Hoyer. He already played with Norv and could probably be had for a low pick from CHI.

But then again :lol:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I need a little trade advice. I offered up Dez for Leveon straight up, I feel like this is pretty fair since Bell is coming off an injury and will miss at least 3 games this season due to his suspension. I've got Deangello already so the suspension and injury concerns don't bother me too much. The Bell owner countered with Foster for Dez, which I don't like at all.

I'm thinking I'll counter that with Deangello + Kamar Aiken for Jonathan Stewart or CJ Anderson. This person is most likely starting Torrey Smith, so Aiken would be an upgrade there and Deangello will obviously help them out if Bell has any issues again this season. I'd offer someone better than Aiken, but it would have to be Brandon Marshall, Dez, or Keenan Allen.

In my mind this all makes perfect sense, but I wanted to get someone else's take on it in case this comes off as an insultingly one sided trade.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I forgot about Hoyer. I think he's nominally a better option than Ponder, although as I said, Ponder obviously knows the playbook, and that's not nothing.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The Vikings are an inevitable whirlpool of dysfunction spiraling into the undertow of despair. Nothing they do matters. They are nihilism incarnate. Do not waste breath prognosticating on the shuffling of their deck chairs and just stop drafting their players like you should've been doing since 2006

I think you said Vikings but what you meant to say was Browns, because Adrian Peterson exists, but the browns are untouchables.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Boosh! posted:

Larry Fitz, Big Ben

Round 6
JHill, Doug Baldwin, Edelman, Larry Fitz, Golden Tate, Ryan Mathews, Kelvin, Delanie Walker, Fleener, Woodhead

Round 7
Duke, Gio, Langford, Melvin Gordon, Gore, Jennings, Big Ben, Michael Floyd, Jordan Matthews, Tom Brady

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I think you said Vikings but what you meant to say was Browns, because Adrian Peterson exists, but the browns are untouchables.

Adrian Peterson is not a Viking, he is a transcendental, child-whuppin' deity that is not bound by the laws of our reality or justice system

The Browns have also won Championships in their existence, let that sink in.

Leperflesh posted:

Ponder obviously knows the playbook, and that's not nothing.

I understand rudimentary principles of string theory, ask me to explain astrophysics.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 31, 2016

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Suave Fedora posted:

Got him at 11.7 in a 10 team on Sunday. Had several autodrafters though.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

10 Player 1 PPR snake. 8th pick in the draft.

QB: RG3
RB: David Johnson
RB: Latavius Murray
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Amari Cooper
WR: Sammy Watkins
TE: Gary Barnidge
FLEX: Golden Tate
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Rams

Bench right now:

RB: Demarco Murray and Bilal Powell
WR: Stefon Diggs, Steve Smith Sr and Terrelle Pryor
TE: Tyler Eifert

I was surprised Johnson was still available at 8th pick. I think RG3 will score plenty of fantasy points, even if the Browns are still a garbage fire. Plus, if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of QBs left in a 10 team league.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

Brownhat posted:

10 Player 1 PPR snake. 8th pick in the draft.

QB: RG3
RB: David Johnson
RB: Latavius Murray
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Amari Cooper
WR: Sammy Watkins
TE: Gary Barnidge
FLEX: Golden Tate
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Rams

Bench right now:

RB: Demarco Murray and Bilal Powell
WR: Stefon Diggs, Steve Smith Sr and Terrelle Pryor
TE: Tyler Eifert

I was surprised Johnson was still available at 8th pick. I think RG3 will score plenty of fantasy points, even if the Browns are still a garbage fire. Plus, if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of QBs left in a 10 team league.

This is a pretty good team but it's hard to say how well you'll do because every team looks stacked in 10 team leagues.

I would probably use Murray at the flex over Tate, even with the PPR scoring.

Barnidge is an obvious regression candidate and you don't really need 2 TEs on your roster. I'd try and trade him if you can get a usable WR or RB.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

In that specific situation, I think it might not be the end of the world to have 2 TE's. On the one hand, there is a chance to sell higher on both of those TE's (buzz with Eifert back to health, or an ok start by Cleveland). At the same time, if Eifert turns out to also be a regression guy (or doesn't get healthy in the way you would expect), then it doesn't make sense to dump Barnidge now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When RG3 breaks consider Alex Smith. He's looked amazing this preseason. I mean, for Alex Smith.

• Locked thread