Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

flashman posted:

Why is Pharah weaker? Because of soldier buff? Discord nerf would have helped her I would have thought

Yeah soldier buff. I don't care if a discord orb is on me if there's no hitscan. If anything it's good because it's not on our support or tank. If there is a well played hitscan the discord orb doesn't matter, I'm probably going to go about 1:1 KD regardless.

Main issue really is that with the soldier buff you'll have better people playing Soldier. Right now I embarrass lovely soldiers on the regular, but once people who actually know how to play are using that character life will be soooooo much more difficult. God help me if the dps meta becomes mcree/soldier.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My armchair balance for symmetra is to make the slow on her turrets much higher but make it so they don't stack the slow. They already struggle to kill anything tougher than a genji so might as well encourage covering a wide area instead of car washing

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Commoners posted:

Putting Torb's armor on a timer would make him super trash tier garbage, because he wouldn't be able to build up a scrap reserve to kill people with. The scrap system also rewards aggressive Torbjorns and punishes passive ones that just hide behind their turrets, so putting it on a timer would encourage people to continue camping their turrets and trying to outrepair the damage instead of actually getting involved in the fights.

If they really wanted to make him significantly better all they would have to do is reduce his reloading time and make his hammer's damage hit profile (but not his turret healing, because this would encourage people to be dumbasses) into a normal melee attack. Most of his DPS is stunted by him constantly reloading his gun, and giving him a melee attack splash with that 75 damage hammer would let him mulch deathballs.

The skill ceiling on him is consistently landing your single shot rivets before an enemy closes to soften them up and then landing shotgun headshots at point blank range. Turret placement is important but it takes half a brain cell to put a turret in a good spot.

Why not both? Have scrap slowly build up over time and give it for kills too (but reduce the scrap).

His weapon is actually pretty powerful, it's just that he has 0 mobility, a big hitbox, and only armor packs for sustainability.

Something similar to the mini-turret Engineer might bring him closer to mid level balance at the very least. Make his lvl 1 turret deploy faster and make it stronger in either dps or hp.

And Pharah? My best idea for her is to double her gravity, double the boost from the jetpack, double her air control, and double the fuel consumption from the jetpack. The idea is to make her move more like a sine wave in the air, or just more erratically in general. If her rockets need to drop in power to compensate for her erratic movement, so be it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So long as hitscan weapons with good damage exist in the game that people can get good with, the rocket using character with minimal splash damage who launches herself into a position with no cover is always going to have a hard time and no amount of extra health or armor beyond the absurd is going to help with that. Especially since I don't see discord going away even with the nerf. Add to this Zenyatta himself with higher damage and bigger projectile hitboxes and maybe even Hanzos now and yeah, I don't see Pharahs who relied on the enemy's inability to deal with aerial targets coming back in vogue.

If you wanted to buff her survivability instead of armor or health which wouldn't really do much what you'd want to do is boost her maneuverability in the air.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Kai Tave posted:

Realtalk, I'd probably do what Gnome suggested and replace the vestigial scrap mechanic with "throw armor pack on a cooldown" and bump Torb's own innate hitpoints to compensate for his sudden lack of ability to spam armor packs at his feet, I'd consider experimenting with adjusting the velocity of his gun's M1, and I might also consider seeing what would happen if you reduced the number of hammer swings necessary to put a level 2 turret up but increased the cooldown between turret deployments to compensate...in other words instead of five swings make it take three or something, still enough that Torb can't literally set up a level 2 turret in the middle of a firefight without being punished, but quicker to reposition when pressured.

I get killed sometimes going for those scraps.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think with Torb is fine, there are still situations where he is very powerful at least up to level 60. I don't think he needs to be necessary on every map.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What if you slaved Torb's turret to his primary fire, completely removing its autonomous function but allowing him to double his damage (or more) as long as the enemy is in sight of both of them? (Or go one step further and have the turret shoot wherever Torb shoots regardless of Torb's own line of sight.)

That resolves the "no skill turret character" design flaw and now you can give him whatever numeric buffs you want.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Thats dumb. Seeya

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Torb remains powerful in 70+ games when his team plays around the turret. His strength relies on the enemy having too many priority targets with the turret being one of them, because as long as its up during an actual offensive he can molten core and cause a relatively quick team wipe. He relies on rhythmic gameplay where you just fight like a normal character until the lull in the fight where you rebuild/repair and pick up scrap. The counter gameplay against him relies on breaking his turret before he can get molten core and then rushing down the Torb before he can dig back in like a tick by getting his turret back up to level two. If Torb is ever trying to build his turret in the middle of a team fight he is being a useless shitlord.

The whole struggle of buffing Torb is that in no way do you want to give him any buff at all that will encourage people to sit around next to their turrets babying them. Any buff he receives needs to make it obvious that he is intended to play as a roving murderbandit whose only desire is to make armor out of his enemies' skulls. Giving him passive scrap generation would mean that the bad players will just sit around watching it tick up instead of actively gathering it between or during fighting, and he'll suffer from the same problem that snipers do where the player thinks that killing one person every minute with a super pro mlg headshot means they're doing well, except it's that throwing down one armor pack every minute is an appropriate substitute for throwing down three every thirty seconds.

Reducing scrap from kills would be a straight nerf on how well he can be played even with passive generation. Reducing his reload speed would drastically increase his killing power and encourage good mechanical skills instead of turning him into a passive turret babysitter.'

His turret is a piece of garbage that only does chip damage. The only time it poses a legitimate threat is when he hits off molten core or if you completely ignore it and stand there being shot in the face like a dummy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

strong bird posted:

Thats dumb. Seeya

no u

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Torb is fine

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I would change Symmetra's teleporter to a device that doubles the strength of shields, but only within a certain range.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Torb is fine, though armor packs could probably survive a nerf, as a few kills gets your team a huge survival buff, which drops more scrap, which gives more armor. A good Torb gets the armor train going quick, and a coordinated team can feed him enough scrap to litter a point with the stuff.

Make Scrap more than a single use rapid fire thing. Use it to speed up your turret build time, or have it tied to your secondary attack power (5 scrap for an extra 5 per projectile) with a slight buildup timer. Put the armor construct on a 5 sec cooldown and up the scrap requirements to balance the slow build. Make scrap management a part of his overall playstyle.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sticky Nate posted:

I would change Symmetra's teleporter to a device that doubles the strength of shields, but only within a certain range.
Teleporter as a Zarya/Zen boosting pylon, I can get behind this.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what if you could steal armor packs? that way the torb isn't able to just litter them everywhere and has to manage his junk pile

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Torb is fine as he is.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Torb is fine. Buff Symmetra.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
torb will be easier to handle with sombra's cloaking and sappers

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Make Symmetra shields have the strength of armor except it still acts like a shield.

This is my bad suggestion, hope you like it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Symmetra should fall to the ground in despair if point A is lost and she stays like that until you switch heroes

strong bird
May 12, 2009

She should be my wife and make us a lot of money designing buildings.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wouldn't want to see things that leash me to the turret like a Wrangler- style mechanic. Having the turret buffed by scrap also seems problematic because too many Swedes would just buff their turret and leave their team exposed and naked, blithely tanking away until the enemy team steamrolls them.

Enough Torbjorns forget that E exists, they don't need the help.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just make him spawn with some scrap or some temporary armor so he's a little less squishy when he's hunting kills to load up his scrap meter.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
He used to collect his own scrap when he died so he would get a little bump every time he was killed.

That was a funny bug.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Commoners posted:

Torb remains powerful in 70+ games when his team plays around the turret. His strength relies on the enemy having too many priority targets with the turret being one of them, because as long as its up during an actual offensive he can molten core and cause a relatively quick team wipe. He relies on rhythmic gameplay where you just fight like a normal character until the lull in the fight where you rebuild/repair and pick up scrap. The counter gameplay against him relies on breaking his turret before he can get molten core and then rushing down the Torb before he can dig back in like a tick by getting his turret back up to level two. If Torb is ever trying to build his turret in the middle of a team fight he is being a useless shitlord.

The whole struggle of buffing Torb is that in no way do you want to give him any buff at all that will encourage people to sit around next to their turrets babying them. Any buff he receives needs to make it obvious that he is intended to play as a roving murderbandit whose only desire is to make armor out of his enemies' skulls. Giving him passive scrap generation would mean that the bad players will just sit around watching it tick up instead of actively gathering it between or during fighting, and he'll suffer from the same problem that snipers do where the player thinks that killing one person every minute with a super pro mlg headshot means they're doing well, except it's that throwing down one armor pack every minute is an appropriate substitute for throwing down three every thirty seconds.

Reducing scrap from kills would be a straight nerf on how well he can be played even with passive generation. Reducing his reload speed would drastically increase his killing power and encourage good mechanical skills instead of turning him into a passive turret babysitter.'

His turret is a piece of garbage that only does chip damage. The only time it poses a legitimate threat is when he hits off molten core or if you completely ignore it and stand there being shot in the face like a dummy.

Yeah but goddamn when you throw a turret on the conveyor in Volskaya, and then get it up to level 2 before popping MC while the team pushes it turns B point into a little slice of the most hellish ends of Vietnam.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How is the PTR not done yet??? What are they waiting for

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Grapplejack posted:

How is the PTR not done yet??? What are they waiting for

The scheduled start date for Overwatch Competitive Season Two.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Buff no characters

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I'm wrestling with some security issues in my life but thank you all for playing with me. I'm trying to be a nicer person. It's hard, but I'm trying. --ptr

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, everyone knows the joke now and everyone knows that just means "gg ez" anyways, so they should probably just make it so "gg ez" just doesn't appear at all in enemy chats

PS Am I crazy or does it seem like this past week all of a sudden everyone stopped playing? Overwatch barely gets 10k viewers total on twitch now and most of the people on my friends list haven't been on for 1 week or more

What the hell is going on

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Torb is fine. Buff Symmetra.

Yeah I suppose if it came down to a choice between the two of them Symmetra is probably the bigger mess at the moment.

Teikanmi posted:

Honestly, everyone knows the joke now and everyone knows that just means "gg ez" anyways, so they should probably just make it so "gg ez" just doesn't appear at all in enemy chats

PS Am I crazy or does it seem like this past week all of a sudden everyone stopped playing? Overwatch barely gets 10k viewers total on twitch now and most of the people on my friends list haven't been on for 1 week or more

Same here, I simply figured that everyone on my friends list got tired of me and quietly removed me. But there's also been a new WoW expansion, summer is coming to an end and people are going back to classes/dealing with seasonal job-related matters, and then some folks are probably taking a break due to the gap between comp seasons. Actually that's a good question, if someone is playing on the PTR but you aren't do they show up as in-game to you?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Teikanmi posted:

New WoW dropped this week.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Yeah like 99% of my friends list was playing WoW last night

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kai Tave posted:

Actually that's a good question, if someone is playing on the PTR but you aren't do they show up as in-game to you?

In the b.net client it would tell me different people were online in the who's playing box when I switched from ptr to us

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just noticed Battlenet is preloading a 800 mb file for patch day.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

cosmicjim posted:

School is also a big deal, which I forget because I'm old as balls. My entire pub-group in quickplay the other day was bitching because they wouldn't get a chance to play Season 2 comp when it opened because school was starting. I told them I remembered school and then I killed myself :smith:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i hope patch day is tomorrow because i am 2300 xp away from level 201

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i hope patch day is tomorrow because i am 2300 xp away from level 201

I'm hoping to time it so I prestige again on time for the Halloween items

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Have they ever released a content patch on anything but a Tuesday before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I don't think so. When I played WoW everything was released on Tuesdays.