Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Have they fixed those weird low-res rendering problems with Vive yet, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I'd get a Vive for this game, but then how would I watch Netflix on my 2nd monitor? I am not sure I could tolerate some of the grind without having at least 60% of my "Elite" time actually be "netflix" time...

Head tracking is pretty sweet for this game though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There's a plugin you can use with one of the headsets that injects a desktop window of video into your elite cockpit UI. One of the VR havers probably knows it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

FileNotFound posted:

I'd get a Vive for this game, but then how would I watch Netflix on my 2nd monitor? I am not sure I could tolerate some of the grind without having at least 60% of my "Elite" time actually be "netflix" time...

Well so I am not the only one. Although I would say its closer to 90% of my elite time is netflix time.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

Have they fixed those weird low-res rendering problems with Vive yet, by the way?

The problem was that it was supersampling at 0.65 (yes that's not a typo). What you do is set it to 1.0 in-game, then edit the steam vr config to up the supersampling to 1.5

That is, if you have a beefy enough card.

Now my text is perfectly legible, except at the very periphery of my vision, but who cares about that.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

1500 posted:

Well so I am not the only one. Although I would say its closer to 90% of my elite time is netflix time.

Do you also always fit a "Read Forums While Docking Computer"?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The problem was that it was supersampling at 0.65 (yes that's not a typo). What you do is set it to 1.0 in-game, then edit the steam vr config to up the supersampling to 1.5

That is, if you have a beefy enough card.

Now my text is perfectly legible, except at the very periphery of my vision, but who cares about that.

Oh, so it was just a clash of game and hardware settings? :cripes:
Well, that's good to know for the future, at least. Now I just have to do that citizen thing of rationalising an irrational expenditure.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

I've been using that to inject in a text file with the trade routes I want to do and mats I want without having to pop the Vive off. I've also used it for Netflix. It's a pretty nice solution once you get the window sized how you want and the x/y/z axes mapped up to the game world (it stays in place where you put it, like you installed a floating flat screen TV into your cockpit for your space trucking).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogalo posted:

There's a plugin you can use with one of the headsets that injects a desktop window of video into your elite cockpit UI. One of the VR havers probably knows it.

Whoa is this just for VR

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

FileNotFound posted:

Do you also always fit a "Read Forums While Docking Computer"?

I have never used the docking computer, so that I have not done. But I did overstate my netflix % as I do find time while playing to read up on the forums.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Giovanni0109 posted:

https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

I've been using that to inject in a text file with the trade routes I want to do and mats I want without having to pop the Vive off. I've also used it for Netflix. It's a pretty nice solution once you get the window sized how you want and the x/y/z axes mapped up to the game world (it stays in place where you put it, like you installed a floating flat screen TV into your cockpit for your space trucking).

Wow - I just found a screen shot....I need this.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

FileNotFound posted:

Wow - I just found a screen shot....I need this.

Is it still loving terrible to configure? That's why I haven't bothered with it.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Is it still loving terrible to configure? That's why I haven't bothered with it.

It's pretty bad, but there's at least keyboard hotkeys to adjust the position and rotation.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rectus posted:

It's pretty bad, but there's at least keyboard hotkeys to adjust the position and rotation.

Can you share presets or configs? Maybe I could work off of someone else's poo poo..

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

It does indeed feel weird at first, especially if you don't set up a movement translation graph that you're comfortable with (side-to-side tilt in particular can really mess up your sense of direction if not calibrated properly). But once you get over that, the ability to quickly look in all kinds of directions and accurately track targets makes it a very good addition to your setup.
Is there a decent guide somewhere on how to set it up? I've been loving about with the curves for an hour now and I just cannot get it so I can look at the side panels easily. It's like a drunk guy is copying my movements.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Note for first time Python owners: It does not appear to be able to boost through a mail slot sideways like my previous ship. The station doesn't like it very much either.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

BitBasher posted:

Note for first time Python owners: It does not appear to be able to boost through a mail slot sideways like my previous ship. The station doesn't like it very much either.

I've done that more times than I'd like to admit, usually after flying the asp. It's even worse in the clipper :v:

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

FileNotFound posted:

A Vive (and a machine that can run it) is great when something is actually happening... but most of this game is spent jumping or in supercruise or in menus.

The one I bought hasn't been used (for E:D) in weeks. Not worth it.

Space Engine is gonna go Vive soon though and I'm gonna spend weeks in that.

jnnnnn fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 31, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Can you share presets or configs? Maybe I could work off of someone else's poo poo..

No idea, I can't even find where they store the configs.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
FINALLY

suck it, Imperial rep grind, suck it forever

she's so pretty :swoon:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Have people found the servers dodgy recently? My Wing of 4 last night kept getting kicked off the servers whenever we jumped, it was annoying as hell and put a dampener on an otherwise amazing night of bounty ganking.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Is there a decent guide somewhere on how to set it up? I've been loving about with the curves for an hour now and I just cannot get it so I can look at the side panels easily. It's like a drunk guy is copying my movements.

Probably, but I just used the trial-and-error method… :D

Do you have any kind of movement smoothing turned on? Because I found that to be a major source of drunken-movement behaviour — it's far better to have crisp and direct translation than to have the software try to “help” you. Sure, it gets bit jittery until you get in the habit of sitting very still, but the brain can actually compensate for that pretty well on its own.

Another thing I did to make it easier in Elite, at least, was to set an early cap on looking down along with an unbalanced up/down acceleration curve. The former makes it easier to hit that target point where the side panels are still in view, and even in something like an Asp, with great downwards visibility, you don't really need much more than that. The latter means that, while it's still easy to look down, going below the “horizon line” of your ship is a lot slower, which again helps with the precision of looking at the panels. I also turned the “look at” panel triggers off — unless I explicitly activate them, they don't come on, nor do they turn off if I look away. This too makes the task of actually looking at them a lot easier since they won't flicker on when you don't need them, or off when you do — it's far better to just leave them open and be able to glance at them at your own discretion.

If you can learn to live with it, I would also recommend adding a bit of “stickiness” — an area of significantly lower acceleration — to the left/right curve in the middle and just around where the panels are (you'll have to alt-tab between the tracking software and the game to figure out exactly what angle this is). This lets you be a bit more sloppy in your head movement and still keep the in-game view relatively steady when you're looking straight ahead or at the side panels. Of course, the downside is that you obviously get uneven translation, which may mess you up when you tro track a fast-moving target, so it becomes a kind of a training issue to get a feel for where you have to look to keep something in sight, rather.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Boogalo posted:

Only works with SteamVR currently, and you can't currently force Elite to use SteamVR if you have a Rift. There's a company working on an Oculus-compatible VR dashboard thing called V, which is a loving terrible name to try and search for. They've given a few people beta access, but it is not yet widely available.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rectus posted:

You only have to get it around to where you like it once. Then you save the profile and reload it after turning on ED (not before loading ED though because it seems that the x,y,z positions are different depending on if you are just in SteamVR or in ED for some reason). They also have some settings where you can have the monitor mapped to a Vive controller that you can physically move around, but I wanted something that stayed in place even when I adjusted which way was "forward" in the Vive.

Edit: Actually, it looks like there are working on better ways to setup the window using the Vive controllers directly, though not sure how that well that will work in the ED. http://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal/releases/tag/v1.0.5-alpha

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mega Comrade posted:

Have people found the servers dodgy recently? My Wing of 4 last night kept getting kicked off the servers whenever we jumped, it was annoying as hell and put a dampener on an otherwise amazing night of bounty ganking.

It wasn't every time I jumped, but I did get booted or have the mission boards fail to load probably 5 or 6 times over the course of a few hours last night.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I found a cool place to gain Empire rank easily with donations and without refreshing the board. I'm a cheater though so I thought I could set up an AutoHotKey macro to get through the drudgery of it. Sadly, I don't have a degree in computer languages, so the AHK is useless to me. Oh well, let the drudgery continue.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I went out Barnacle hunting in Pleiades and every site I went to had already been harvested.

There are also federation battlecruisers hovering around two of the sites... :tinfoil:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you play solo I think they're totally refreshed to be harvested

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mouko posted:

There are also federation battlecruisers hovering around two of the sites... :tinfoil:
Wait a second. Are you telling me there are stellar bodies in this galaxy that aren't just "Annoyingly Overbumpy Sand Dune ft. random small rocks"? What is that thing you're on!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Does the base in Maia not sell MAs any more? Darnielles Progress or something was its name...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Does the base in Maia not sell MAs any more? Darnielles Progress or something was its name...

Check the states of the owning faction. Like rares, MA availability is affected by faction states and a bad state can temporarily remove them from the market.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I went about 1500 ly out last night, figured I could knock out both the 5000 ly requirement for Palin and get the exploration to get allied with Sirius for Quent in the same run. Is there a best thing to do with the leftover exploration data after maxing out Sirius? I'm tempted to try to unlock some more minor factions with it so I can get more system licenses just for kicks, but if it'll be useful for something more lucrative, I'm hardly married to the idea.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Valatar posted:

So I went about 1500 ly out last night, figured I could knock out both the 5000 ly requirement for Palin and get the exploration to get allied with Sirius for Quent in the same run. Is there a best thing to do with the leftover exploration data after maxing out Sirius? I'm tempted to try to unlock some more minor factions with it so I can get more system licenses just for kicks, but if it'll be useful for something more lucrative, I'm hardly married to the idea.

You can turn the data in to Palin himself for rep.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the smart thing to do with all this expo data I'm about to have is to save it, give it to Farseer, and the bank whatever I have left for future engineers?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You can turn the data in to Palin himself for rep.

Isn't it simpler just to spam some basic recipes with them? Or is that rank not the same thing as their reputation?

Also, getting 43 ly jumps is :fap: and that's just with the rank 3 upgrade, albeit a pretty maxed-out one. I can't wait to get my clipper modded; the only thing I didn't adore about it was the 20 ly range.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

frank.club posted:

So the smart thing to do with all this expo data I'm about to have is to save it, give it to Farseer, and the bank whatever I have left for future engineers?

“Smart” will always be relative to your other options. Let's call it a neat way of bypassing the item/scanning/upgrade grind that accompanies a couple of the other engineers, but really, in terms of actual effort, chances are that getting those items is actually less work, especially if you do it at the same time as you grind components for the top-tier upgrade you're actually aiming for. Also, the option isn't available for all of them, but the ones who do take explo data tend to have some of the most universally useful upgrades.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alright. I should have specified that I'm only looking for explorer themed engineers

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Valatar posted:

Isn't it simpler just to spam some basic recipes with them? Or is that rank not the same thing as their reputation?

Also, getting 43 ly jumps is :fap: and that's just with the rank 3 upgrade, albeit a pretty maxed-out one. I can't wait to get my clipper modded; the only thing I didn't adore about it was the 20 ly range.

Rank is the same. You could, ideally, grind up to rank 3 or so with basic recipes, then dump the data bomb on him to see how much further that gets you.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure it's covered in the engi guide. But when I need to modify an fsd I should roll up in whatever ship I want modified? I can't just pick a specific piece of equipment and say "make that good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

frank.club posted:

I'm sure it's covered in the engi guide. But when I need to modify an fsd I should roll up in whatever ship I want modified? I can't just pick a specific piece of equipment and say "make that good"

Yes, for now you can't specify a different ship. Sucks, but most of the engineers aren't too far out so you should be able to fit a fuel tank/scoop for when you're tricking out a FDL or Corvette.

• Locked thread