Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I didn't care for The Park, for whatever reason. I played it, spent a good amount of time wandering, and finished it. At the end though, I was like..."that's all"? It's one of the few games that I've had refunded just because I didn't feel like it was worth anything close to what I paid at release. Maybe five bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In Inside does the boy still make sounds like shivering/breathing in fear after the water-girl grabs him and makes him be able to breathe underwater? I know some suggest the secret ending and the idea that he is being controlled the whole time is moreso meta-commentary than literal. But I might be more convinced that he had free will up until the point at which he was grabbed, particularly if he is silent afterward.

My personal take is that It's not so much losing free will. The boy straight up drowns. You're puppeting a corpse at that point. He doesn't learn underwater breathing, he he doesn't breathe at all. The water girls are corpses hanging around to create more corpses. You can tell they go completely silent the moment they no longer detect anything alive in the water. This also happens when the boy drowns. . Also the boy's entire demeanor changes. Most notable is a lack of response to events around him in general.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

I didn't care for The Park, for whatever reason. I played it, spent a good amount of time wandering, and finished it. At the end though, I was like..."that's all"? It's one of the few games that I've had refunded just because I didn't feel like it was worth anything close to what I paid at release. Maybe five bucks.

Yeah I finished it in about an hour and a half on a blind purchase play through. I called the "Twist" ending and 15 minutes into playing the game because it was super obvious.

The game had ambiance and a pretty good setting, but going with the the most obvious ending (if you're a horror game fan at least) possible kinda soured me on the experience.

That and paying 12.99 for it and missing one achievement. I'm not reinstalling it on my Xbox to get that one achievement but I was a bit salty when I saw I missed one loving achievement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The girl is the wrench in all my theories and I don't know how she fits into the story. I can't decide if she puts the helmet on the boy or not. They hid the animation behind a loving piece of foreground and in complete darkness. Even with the brightness turned up all the way you can make out her left hand caressing/supporting the boy's head (another weird point) and you can see the helmet move up and down, but you can't see her right arm or her body move through her long hair. It could be the helmet attaches to him automatically as we see they have some kind of magnetic ability to hold people in place without gripping.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

"Anatomy" by an indie dev named Kitty Horrorshow. Completely underrated imo, but I'm fond of extremely tense storytelling. It's a very confined walking sim in that you retread areas, but there's a reason for it.

Just finished it

10/10

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accordion Man posted:

Ah poo poo now I remember there is also Ripper. Ripper is definitely worth watching, what with its all star cast of Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith in his final role, John Rhys-Davies, Jimmie Walker, Karen Allen, and Paul Giamatti before he hit it big.

Problem with Ripper is that the decision to have a randomly chosen culprit impacts the writing, by keeping the changes for each at a minimum and preventing most foreshadowing regarding the killer.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Chev posted:

Problem with Ripper is that the decision to have a randomly chosen culprit impacts the writing, by keeping the changes for each at a minimum and preventing most foreshadowing regarding the killer.
Yeah, especially because only one of the suspects really works. Said suspect is actually rather clever though, more than you would think for a game like Ripper.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
So I grabbed SOMA on the Humble Monthly because I've heard it's got a great story and atmosphere, but I have jump scares and don't particularly like hiding in closest from blurry monsters I'm not supposed to look at. Am I really going to be missing out if I grab that "passive monsters" mod? I get that it's going to make it less tense, but I've also heard that it makes the game creepy in a different way than the vanilla version.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Hellburger99 posted:

So I grabbed SOMA on the Humble Monthly because I've heard it's got a great story and atmosphere, but I have jump scares and don't particularly like hiding in closest from blurry monsters I'm not supposed to look at. Am I really going to be missing out if I grab that "passive monsters" mod? I get that it's going to make it less tense, but I've also heard that it makes the game creepy in a different way than the vanilla version.

I haven't played the mod but I do think it would really hamper tension throughout the game. Though, if the alternative is not playing the game at all, I'd say go with the mod. Maybe give it a try vanilla first. The plot and setting are strong enough to carry the game as a sort of walking simulator though the tension is incredibly well crafted and you'd certainly lose a lot of it in the later game. I think probably the first 25-30% of the game would still translate pretty well even without any concrete threat. Minor game mechanic/monster spoilers: The monsters tend to ramp up in difficulty/spookiness as the game progresses to sort of ease you into it, and there is a mechanic where the first time you get floored by one, it takes off and forgets about you (but kills you the next time unless you heal). It's definitely not like Amnesia, though. There's only a handful of monster encounters throughout the entire game (between 6 - 8 or something) and most of them aren't too tough to deal with. A good bunch of them are spooky by just their presence/the sounds they make than they are any kind of actual danger, so you wouldn't lose out on much when encountering them with the mod.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hellburger99 posted:

SOMA doesn't really do jump scares, and the monster mechanics are very different from something like Amnesia. There are no closets to hide in and you can look at the things all you want, they just patrol through certain areas and some can sense you in different ways. For the most part I haven't had trouble getting past them, and even if they find you you get one do-over from where they caught you before it's game over.

That being said, the real heart of the game is in the atmosphere so you're not losing too much without the monsters. It's definitely far more tense and stressful with things hunting you, but if that doesn't appeal then by all means get rid of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm probably going to run the no monster chase mod when I get around to play it because everything I've heard of the game make me think that Frictional just tacked on the monster segments because they were expected to/weren't confident in just making a straight horror adventure game. Having your exploration cut short and having to face a wall until the static goes away doesn't sound very exciting.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 31, 2016

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I decided just to grab the mod anyway because the description page gave similarly, non-spoilery descriptions. I was really in the mood for a walking-sim with a horror vibe more than a monsters hunt you down style game anyway. I've only gotten to the second hub/pod/thing and while it isn't super scary yet, it is really unsettling, and based on a few of the "choices" I've made, I feel like that might be the real horror of this game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
There are places where monsters will discourage you from exploring and finding more documents/audiologs, etc. Neuter them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really see the point in playing a horror game with no sense of danger.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mostly agree, but SOMA is one game that can pull it off, imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just wish that you could neuter specific ones. Most of them were decent and added to the drama, but the very last one was a pile of garbage

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just wish that you could neuter specific ones. Most of them were decent and added to the drama, but the very last one was a pile of garbage

I see this a lot but I always found that one the easiest. The only real hang up is that he's real good at hearing you. If you can keep running and keep slamming doors on his face, he spends too much time fiddling with door buttons to ever actually catch you.

For me it's Theta I'd love to have neutered, especially all the long rear end hallways where you pretty much have to just hope the enemies don't get stuck blocking where you need to go and make it not actually winnable :argh: The offices were a cool set piece but god drat that whole thing was way too long

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Then again, walking on the ocean floor in the deep trench was a pretty loving cool sequence that wouldn't be as effective if there was no danger.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

woodenchicken posted:

Then again, walking on the ocean floor in the deep trench was a pretty loving cool sequence that wouldn't be as effective if there was no danger.

Do those count for the mod? I figured they were preprogrammed set pieces rather than the wandering AIs, I figured the modders would just delete the pathfinding of the monsters.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm a weirdo who liked the monster designs in SOMA so much that I ran up to a monster to see it up close and to see how quickly it could kill me. I wasn't really scared of them after that because that long look at them made them less scary and more cool. The only part that actually got me nervous/scared was the trench, and the anglerfish within. I fell for it like a dang animal, lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

I'm a weirdo who liked the monster designs in SOMA so much that I ran up to a monster to see it up close and to see how quickly it could kill me. I wasn't really scared of them after that because that long look at them made them less scary and more cool. The only part that actually got me nervous/scared was the trench, and the anglerfish within. I fell for it like a dang animal, lol.

I fell for it too, and I said "clever girl" out loud, and I regret nothing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It would be neat if game designers could intuitively tell when "enough is enough." Like once you figure out this gimmick it just goes away because it's no longer impactful or a challenge.

With all the crap they keep adding to controllers I'd be interested in heart rate sensors. If the Alien comes out and your heart hasn't spiked because you've had to repeat this loop ten times in the past hour, the game just stops spawning it for a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

For me it's Theta I'd love to have neutered, especially all the long rear end hallways where you pretty much have to just hope the enemies don't get stuck blocking where you need to go and make it not actually winnable :argh: The offices were a cool set piece but god drat that whole thing was way too long

Theta was absolutely savage on my nerves. Looking back there are only what, three sequences with monsters? But I had to take a break during the last one because the others rattled me so bad and it just kept going. It works really well in the overall pace of the game, though. Delta before it was a peaceful walk around a little plateau, and it spooked me into thinking Omicron was worse than it actually was. I don't think the scares in Omicron would have been nearly as effective if Theta hadn't gone balls-out with the actual danger.

I really don't feel most of the complaints about the monsters. The pacing of the encounters is really smart and they form a nice balance with the rest of the game. They make you look forward to the creeping existential dread of the quiet parts, where they get you again with horrifying story reveals.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One thing is for sure, I don't regret playing Soma and it's a really really great story honestly.

Maybe next game, there could be more actual puzzles to monsters? Like using emitters and they'll stay in a certain area. Or using some kind of flare that repeals the monster but only works once on each type.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I kinda quit playing SOMA because of the first monster. It got between me and some of the audiologs and control panels I needed to make a choice, so I ended up hitting the nearest button just to progress to get away from it and I'm still not sure exactly what I chose or what happened to the NPC who I saw previously. It really short-circuited (heh) the whole horror of choice in that area. Is there a mod just to cripple their AI so they forget about me if they haven't seen me for a while? Is that the way it is now, and I just happened to be in a patrol route with a chokepoint?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I liked throwing things around to distract the monsters and sometimes hitting them in the head with stuff :3: They were all like "BLEUUGHHHUGHUHHHG?????"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skyscraper posted:

I kinda quit playing SOMA because of the first monster. It got between me and some of the audiologs and control panels I needed to make a choice, so I ended up hitting the nearest button just to progress to get away from it and I'm still not sure exactly what I chose or what happened to the NPC who I saw previously. It really short-circuited (heh) the whole horror of choice in that area. Is there a mod just to cripple their AI so they forget about me if they haven't seen me for a while? Is that the way it is now, and I just happened to be in a patrol route with a chokepoint?

https://youtu.be/Q2X9pa8UBwc I cannot believe you guys lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ineffiable posted:

One thing is for sure, I don't regret playing Soma and it's a really really great story honestly.

Maybe next game, there could be more actual puzzles to monsters? Like using emitters and they'll stay in a certain area. Or using some kind of flare that repeals the monster but only works once on each type.

That could be pretty cool

Speaking of I started playing Albino Lullaby and that game's a trip

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Skyscraper posted:

I'm pretty sure every area that you encounter a monster in has a loop you can lead them around to bait them away from chokepoints. For sure the first one does, you can lead that thing around those tanks in the center of the room forever. Each monster senses things a little differently so you have to play with them a bit, but in general you can make a loud noise or stay on the edge of their vision range and they'll keep creeping along behind you. Just don't run unless you've already hosed up and they're fully alert, because they tend to be faster than you.

frank.club posted:

Well yeah, when you put a locked door between yourself and the monster they tend to be less of an issue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

frank.club posted:

That monster looks like he's listening to a jaunty tune.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's having a swell time

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I turned the alien off in alien isolation and it made the game way more fun for me. I wish I had known I could do it for SOMA but the monsters weren't too bad in that game.

I really like spooky sci fi atmosphere. Are there any other similar games? Dead space looked cool but it also seemed too much like a console shooter so I dunno

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Norton posted:

I turned the alien off in alien isolation and it made the game way more fun for me. I wish I had known I could do it for SOMA but the monsters weren't too bad in that game.

I really like spooky sci fi atmosphere. Are there any other similar games? Dead space looked cool but it also seemed too much like a console shooter so I dunno

Dead Space, and to a slightly lesser extent Dead Space 2 are cool and good. The interface is hampered by its console DNA, but it's not too terrible. I enjoyed them and recommend them. I don't recommend 3.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

frank.club posted:

i turned that monster into a little minigame, by aggroing him then running to the safe room and trying to lock the door in time

he will deaggro if you crouch behind the desk long enough

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Skyscraper posted:

The monsters will patrol in an area nearby the player. You can lead them to another part of the map then book it toward any choke point and finish up with your business there before they come back.

Relin posted:

i turned that monster into a little minigame, by aggroing him then running to the safe room and trying to lock the door in time

he will deaggro if you crouch behind the desk long enough

If you stay hidden he'll wander into a nearby room that you can lock him in with the security console, giving you some time to explore before he presumably escapes through the vent. I'm pretty sure that's what the player is meant to do.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's what I did. I mean I managed my first playthrough without getting a game over so I dunno how anyone had issues. It's certainly easier than Dark Descent

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, especially because only one of the suspects really works. Said suspect is actually rather clever though, more than you would think for a game like Ripper.

Which one was that, Catherine?

Anyway, on my first game I got Falconetti as a culprit, and failed to identify him because he felt so obvious he had to be a red herring.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I saw "locked door" and immediately knew which encounter that was. I liked SOMA a lot and thought the monsters were cool and good.

The angler fish was the best one imo, even though I totally called it I still jumped when I tried running by it and saw its faces. :gonk:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The worst part about the anglerfish is that the computer near where you first descend talks about the various life forms, like Big rear end Fish and the weird lovely seaweed, and the second I saw the Anglerfish on there, I knew it'd pop up eventually.

Enough time passed before I got to it that I completely forgot until I saw the teeth coming at me :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah they did that event very well in Soma. It's worth pushing yourself through the game for. Soma is a very creative and atmospheric game and I have to say it's a horror game that must be played. Kholat, layers of fear, slender, I'd be okay if those games were wiped from existence. But you'll never take Soma away from me. I just only hope they do a physical edition so I can buy it again and also buy copies for people.