Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Rhymes With Clue posted:

If you're a journalist and you want a transcript, you do sometimes want to know exactly the question the person was responding to. At least, that's how it worked in print journalism. If the subject says he was misquoted, you can say, "I've got the tape." And if he says, "Well, but that wasn't exactly the question," you've got the tape. I guess. I never really did that.

What I want to know is, what is the point of "NO NON-INTERVIEW THERE IS NONE." This is just stupid. Of course there is non-interview, and if you have to transcribe it, that's the worst. The subject is not using his/her "voice." Is mumbling. Turned away from the microphone. Eating and talking with mouth full. Blocked by someone messing with hair. Scratching, a sound picked up excellently well by the microphone, so it's the only thing you can hear.

The hell with that.

Yeah, this isn't print. It's just some marketing videos, it just makes me want to assume the producers are turds.

And the "no non-interview" stuff as far as I know is for bloopers/outtakes/etc.

It's funny the client that pays $1.10 a minute for talking head interviews wants less transcribed (only the answers, no non-interview, no chitter chatter, just when they're actually looking at the camera and answering)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rhymes With Clue posted:

If you're a journalist and you want a transcript, you do sometimes want to know exactly the question the person was responding to. At least, that's how it worked in print journalism. If the subject says he was misquoted, you can say, "I've got the tape." And if he says, "Well, but that wasn't exactly the question," you've got the tape. I guess. I never really did that.

What I want to know is, what is the point of "NO NON-INTERVIEW THERE IS NONE." This is just stupid. Of course there is non-interview, and if you have to transcribe it, that's the worst. The subject is not using his/her "voice." Is mumbling. Turned away from the microphone. Eating and talking with mouth full. Blocked by someone messing with hair. Scratching, a sound picked up excellently well by the microphone, so it's the only thing you can hear.

The hell with that.

gently caress Ink Master forever.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
The worst I've had so far is young people who are so lazy with their speech that, rather than use ums and uhs, they just make random
Noises.

How the gently caress and I suppose to transcribe you gurgling like a toddler?

Seems to be a problem only for those in their late teens/ early 20s though. I transcribed a 10 year old the other day who was more articulate than most adults.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The other day I transcribed a 10 year old who has more personality than anyone I've ever met. He's great and I will watch his dumb little kids' reality competition thing and cheer for him.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I too had one of his files, he's great. The little girl I also transcribed wasn't too bad either. I hope there are more this weekend.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Yes! I've been working on these kid's files too! They are great and I am definitely going to watch this when it airs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SquirrelFace posted:

The worst I've had so far is young people who are so lazy with their speech that, rather than use ums and uhs, they just make random
Noises.

How the gently caress and I suppose to transcribe you gurgling like a toddler?

Seems to be a problem only for those in their late teens/ early 20s though. I transcribed a 10 year old the other day who was more articulate than most adults.

The highest, like, like number I've gotten is, like, 540 in 35-40 minutes of footage with two teenagers, like, talking.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Watching these kids slowly become demoralized as they realize only one or two kids in their competition are actually really talented is an incredible experience and should be a B plot to this show.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Killfast37 posted:

I don't know why, but it seems like recently DT has been real weird about how they are assigning work and managing the schedule. Like now they're rolling over minutes if they don't max out what I requested on the schedule and just sending work at the weirdest times.

From a couple pages ago, but I just got this. They sent me work last night, due Thursday morning. I start working on it this afternoon and I get sent another 45 minutes due Thursday morning, doubling my workload today. I don't know if I was actually double booked or if the assignment they sent last night was meant for that day. There were two different assigners involved so maybe something got mixed up.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
You were probably double-booked. As far as I can tell the assigners don't communicate when they hit you with minutes so it's entirely possible to get 2x your max if both people assign you work.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

You were probably double-booked. As far as I can tell the assigners don't communicate when they hit you with minutes so it's entirely possible to get 2x your max if both people assign you work.

Yeah... except it's supposed to be done through shared calendars.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Pete Zah posted:

From a couple pages ago, but I just got this. They sent me work last night, due Thursday morning. I start working on it this afternoon and I get sent another 45 minutes due Thursday morning, doubling my workload today. I don't know if I was actually double booked or if the assignment they sent last night was meant for that day. There were two different assigners involved so maybe something got mixed up.
I've been assigned work at like 8:00PM on Tuesday evening that's due Thursday 9AM. I'll check the calendar and see that they fulfilled Tuesday, but they'll leave the minutes I signed up for on Wednesday on the calendar so lo and behold Wed morning I'll get another assignment due Thurs 9AM. I've had this happen with both the same and different people assigning the work. Last time this happened I had to reject the second assignment because I was still working on the previous one from the night before. It's pretty annoying especially since I've had this happen multiple times now and the last time they told me to either not sign up for that much on the schedule and give me poo poo for declining the assignment. It kind of ruins the whole work your own hours part of this job which was the huge draw for me. This happens way to often at DT and I'm sorry, but they don't pay enough for me to work on some DIA 5+ assignment from 8:00PM to 4:00AM. A month ago I didn't have a problem with their scheduling of assignments, but now every week I'm either getting double booked, booked on days I'm not on the schedule or both. I'm also curious as to how much other transcriptions houses pay for dialogue because .75 cents a minute feels like a bullshit rate.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

A few hours ago DT sent a rather large (relative to how much time I requested) file to me due Friday, which is fine, but now I'm afraid they'll send me a second one tomorrow. Whatever gently caress them I'll just reject it.

Video files that are already edited and jump around on their BITC are bullshit. I have to manually edit timecodes for a 70 minute file because some douchebag wanted to save 50 cents.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Ah... okay, so that's the cumulative time thing. They're just assigning you the minutes that you've signed on to do, never mind that some content takes much more time, or that WHEN they actually assign determines the real availability because you need to sleep and whatnot. That problem is kind of universal, but their attitude that you should just take ALL THE WORK and do it however is not usual and at least once you get more clients (like JKL, who is awesome) not something you'll have to deal with from most places.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Yeah... except it's supposed to be done through shared calendars.

Hasn't stopped me from having to e-mail one of them saying "Hey the other one used my time up already"

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hey at least they send y'all the files they want done instead of running at the last minute. Ha, ha. Goddamn I hope the show I worked on with another client gets picked up for another season, I'll share if it does. It's only during the school year though.

DT could make so much more money if their salespeople actually had a clue. Nobody wants poo poo done in the Phillipines and voice recognition isn't there yet.

skippy timecodes: that's 25 cents extra
dialogue, that takes twice as lone, $2 a minute
talking head interview? Yeah we can do that for .75 paid if you want all the bullshit left out.
clean verbatim? I will do that for 75 cents a minute.

You can either choose us or hope for some bullshit non-english speaker to take a month doing it.

It's really odd their Triage stuff (the same company that pays you, they own the Food Network) pays more than the stuff they bring in from other clients.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

gently caress Ink Master forever.

Oh yeah. 50% muttering lines as they decide what to say, 30% bitching about the continual interruption from planes, and 20% actual interview. "No non-interview!" Ha.

But at least it is not a boring corporate economics summit.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I wish there was a way to send laughter through email.

DT just tried to drop two 45 min files on me, full verbatim for everyone, no non-interview and terrible audio. And by the way, it's formatted completely differently than any other assignment.

Pays $.75 a minute.

I am starting to realize their pay scale is arbitrary and not at all connected to how difficult the work is...

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure they paid more in the past, but I took them because I'm a sucker. With a good Autohotkey setup it's not that much slower than other stuff. Like I said before, their salespeople are idiots.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

thylacine posted:

I'm pretty sure they paid more in the past, but I took them because I'm a sucker. With a good Autohotkey setup it's not that much slower than other stuff. Like I said before, their salespeople are idiots.

My major issue was the formatting. I normally just copy past into a prepared sample file and adjust if needed. With the cells I couldn't figure out how to copy/paste the whole file without having to copy and paste each line individually.

That and the lack of video. With that much background noise I like to see who's talking and when.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

SquirrelFace posted:

My major issue was the formatting. I normally just copy past into a prepared sample file and adjust if needed. With the cells I couldn't figure out how to copy/paste the whole file without having to copy and paste each line individually.

That and the lack of video. With that much background noise I like to see who's talking and when.

Ah, mine are clear audio, I probably would've rejected it otherwise... (and my motherboard blew up last weekend so I had little time to work this week.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

thylacine posted:

For a while they were doing like .85/min for everything but I guess they backed off on that.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Why I love this job, #4372: Right now I'm working an interview with a very famous filmmaker and musician and for the last ten minutes or so he's been talking in detail about My Little Pony. (He does have a daughter in the right age range, so he's sort of got an excuse.)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have seen the other side of the coin, people. I am currently grinding through a huge project where they've just used very good recording equipment. The client is being super patient because of delays but there's just only so much you can do to tune out the 20 other people in the room who are all being picked up extremely well. Bright side, AMAZING client, so now I get to give them a write up on how they can improve it for the future. :-)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I have seen the other side of the coin, people. I am currently grinding through a huge project where they've just used very good recording equipment. The client is being super patient because of delays but there's just only so much you can do to tune out the 20 other people in the room who are all being picked up extremely well. Bright side, AMAZING client, so now I get to give them a write up on how they can improve it for the future. :-)

Did you fall through a wormhole into some alternate dimension?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You have the goatee, ergo we're probably the 'evil' dimension.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
drat, I never thought of it that way but it's true!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh, how do you people translate this stuff for a living?

I have a 45 long phone interview I am doing transcriptions for as part of my normal job, because they want to save money and not have it done professionally. It's non verbatim, just the interviewee responses for a writer to reference.

How much would this cost to have done? Taking me like 2 hours, boring me to death... I'd rather pay somebody to do it and spend that same amount of time making like $60 doing SEO writing instead.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Ugh, how do you people translate this stuff for a living?

I have a 45 long phone interview I am doing transcriptions for as part of my normal job, because they want to save money and not have it done professionally. It's non verbatim, just the interviewee responses for a writer to reference.

How much would this cost to have done? Taking me like 2 hours, boring me to death... I'd rather pay somebody to do it and spend that same amount of time making like $60 doing SEO writing instead.

Not to undercut my own company, but Rev would've done it for a dollar a minute.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Not to undercut my own company, but Rev would've done it for a dollar a minute.

Ugh... Yeah, I should have just outsoruced my own job. Good to know for the future.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 31, 2016

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Produce the shittiest transcript possible and tell them if they want it done well they should outsource it to people who do it for a living.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
But not Rev. Their clean verbatim makes everyone sound like robots.

Update: My new client was going great, a slog, but fine... and then "Cake, we gave you files from the two recorders for these two groups, but don't worry it should be fine, here's both files."

Files are different lengths by three minutes and an odd number of seconds so no easy popping back and forth.

They're all speaking in hushed tones in between two very loud groups and I'm picking up every fifth word maybe.

Ah, there's the industry I've grown to know and love!

Oh and instead of taking it on Tuesday for coding the client now needs it tomorrow. After repeatedly confirming Tuesday was good, we're both of us going out of town this weekend. Essentially the message went "oh I need to bump up the deadline because we need to read it, you can totally manage this before then right? Even though this is more minutes in less time k bye!" And poof, she was gone like a fart on the wind. Sigh.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Had my first request for revisions from DT...

The file is audio only, recorded outdoors during a rainstorm near a fire, with multiple speakers and someone coughing at least once a minute next to the microphone...this is gonna be painful.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Oh TLC, putting the fake in reality since '97.

One person is BFF's with the main character, but she can't say her name correctly.`

Now the main character is talkin' about her vegan dog and how she tastes each piece of his dog food, lol.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

When the hell did my job become copy pasting images from a video file into MS Word

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Oh lord don't tell me those 'medical' files are back, those were some bullshit.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

thylacine posted:

Oh lord don't tell me those 'medical' files are back, those were some bullshit.

GUESS WHAT MOTHERFUCKER

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

disjoe posted:

GUESS WHAT MOTHERFUCKER

What do these trainwrecks even pay? I think I got a medical assignment with the guide for all the 'take photos' nonsense but my file was an mp3 or something. It was still garbage though.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had a couple that were fine, but so many were full of jargon it took forever, or was 15 tiny files which takes a bunch of extra time, too. Think it was just 75 cents like everything else, guess I missed this run though since they didn't send me anything today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

I had a couple that were fine, but so many were full of jargon it took forever, or was 15 tiny files which takes a bunch of extra time, too. Think it was just 75 cents like everything else, guess I missed this run though since they didn't send me anything today.

The worst one I did was just a guy listing the names of medical papers followed by the names of all the authors. Which was technically lookup-able, but gently caress I had to look up like 300 drat names for a 45 minute file. On the plus side I learned that that Dr. St. Louis is the actual name of an actual doctor. I hope somewhere in the annuals of the Vatican they also have a St. Dr. Louis.