Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Nieto is by far the stupidest man between him and Trump today. How the gently caress does he think standing and miquetoastedly legitimizing Trump is in any way not a huge disaster? He's saying he's going to build the wall right next to him on TV.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-in-mexico-insists-on-americas-right-to-build-a-wall-227606

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This will all be forgotten about when he inevitable says some stupid poo poo at his immigration speech later.

Or in the next day or two.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I wanted Trump to get dunked on as bad as anyone, but I think he did okay. And being "okay" is a pretty good day for Trump.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
If he manages to get out of Mexico without calling anybody a rapist this shitshow will probably be a positive for Trump

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

That would be Eduardo Calzones

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Vile posted:

glorious success

Haha, they didn't even discuss the wall. These people are not intelligent.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It was a good moment for Trump, but I don't think it's a stunt with a high payoff even with success. Who decides to vote for him because the President of Mexico didn't call him an rear end in a top hat? He still is who he is.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My biggest problem with the wall is why does Mexico have to pay for the whole thing? We have a ton of Honduran, Guatemalan, Nicraguan and other central American countries sending us their criminals and rapists.

I bet if we told Mexico they only had to pay a few billion and the other countries would kick in the rest, they would be so relieved that they would write us a check the next day.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/kalebhorton/status/771066579316449280

If only

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Vile posted:

glorious success

are you going to get your new Make Western Hemisphere Great Again hat?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Man, you guys got me all excited for this dogwash?

Does this count as called it:

petit choux posted:

My first assumption from reading that tweet about him not having read a book that he can remember is the Donald sees a good mark potential deal here. As in, we make arrangements to enrich ourselves behind closed doors if you agree to have some kind of apparent closure with me and help me get elected, we both got each other's back, help each other stay in power like good old boys are supposed to, bing bong bing, Russian stylee. Any possibility of that?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 31, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look on the bright side, this will now raise expectations for Trump at the debates.

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
Any mexican on the thread would like to share their views on peña nieto?
how is the reaction on social media?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JosefStalinator posted:

Keep in mind this is a legacy of the PRI's 70+ years of one-party rule. The Presidency is limited to one six-year term so that Presidents cannot build a power base around themselves, and use the presidency as a rotating grift office to build as many palaces for family members, fill up the swiss bank account, and otherwise pilfer as much wealth as possibly before peaceing out without rocking the boat.

Pena Nieto has changed none of that.

But those perks still exist if your the Governor of Texas.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While Trump came in below my initial expectations I still think he did well. I guess that son of a bitch really does know the art of the deal!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The next couple of days are going to be very irritating around here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

why does the president of mexico only serve for 1 term? was there an FDR that caused it, or is it something else?

The PRI was essentially the state-party that survived the Mexican Revolution, and the civil war soon after. It created the consensus necessary to allow Mexico to function as a country. It also controlled workers unions and members votes were known to party bosses, and most industrialists in Mexico were party bosses so you could lose your job if you voted against the PRI or didn't go out to vote.

Vicente Fox was freely elected non-PRI president. Then the PAN destablized Mexico and now people hope the PRI's corruption can buy off the cartels and stop the killing (it won't)

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, they didn't even discuss the wall. These people are not intelligent.

they did discuss the wall

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
would daycrew like a paper bag to hyperventilate into?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

You mean four years? Kidding.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

can someone give a 101 on nieto and why hes such a loving retard?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

why? trump is building the wall, people on 4chan said so. I mean, they didn't discuss the wall, but people on 4chan said they did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/murphymike/status/771070949332398080

Same

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
My big take away from this is that Trump is going to expand the othering to add Central Americans into the mix.

Guatemalans and El Salvadorians are on notice.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

My biggest problem with the wall is why does Mexico have to pay for the whole thing? We have a ton of Honduran, Guatemalan, Nicraguan and other central American countries sending us their criminals and rapists.

I bet if we told Mexico they only had to pay a few billion and the other countries would kick in the rest, they would be so relieved that they would write us a check the next day.

You gotta start out at a higher price that way when you hit them with a lower price they think you are doing them a favor. The art of the deal.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

zoux posted:

The speech tonight will tell the real tale. Trump doesn't seem to think that what happened 5 minutes ago matters now, so his tone might completely shift and he'll slam his foot right back into his mouth.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vile posted:

they literally said they didnt discuss the wall Vile. come the gently caress on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I should start handing out sixers for pants making GBS threads

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Thundercracker posted:

Nieto is by far the stupidest man between him and Trump today. How the gently caress does he think standing and miquetoastedly legitimizing Trump is in any way not a huge disaster? He's saying he's going to build the wall right next to him on TV.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-in-mexico-insists-on-americas-right-to-build-a-wall-227606

Nah, not really. Nieto either got paid off or got promised something for supporting Trump. We just don't know what it is yet.

Although I guess he could be just that incompetent.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Vile posted:

"So we are agreed that we are allowed to build free-standing structures on our own land??"
"...y...yes?"

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that the Clinton campaign has released basically zero oppo on Trump so far.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

JosefStalinator posted:

Keep in mind this is a legacy of the PRI's 70+ years of one-party rule. The Presidency is limited to one six-year term so that Presidents cannot build a power base around themselves, and use the presidency as a rotating grift office to build as many palaces for family members, fill up the swiss bank account, and otherwise pilfer as much wealth as possibly before peaceing out without rocking the boat.

Pena Nieto has changed none of that.

Nonsense posted:

The PRI was essentially the state-party that survived the Mexican Revolution, and the civil war soon after. It created the consensus necessary to allow Mexico to function as a country. It also controlled workers unions and members votes were known to party bosses, and most industrialists in Mexico were party bosses so you could lose your job if you voted against the PRI or didn't go out to vote.

Vicente Fox was freely elected non-PRI president. Then the PAN destablized Mexico and now people hope the PRI's corruption can buy off the cartels and stop the killing (it won't)

cool, thanks for the lesson!

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Maybe Nieto is playing the long game by recording their private conversations, where I'm sure Trump talked down the wall and insults, and the when Trump eventually brags or does his usual thing the recordings mysteriously surfaces...

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Vile posted:

i think its pretty bad of trump that hes talking to the guy whos sending his murderers and rapists to the us and didnt adress it, imo, seems like something youdf want to address

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

The Jeb crew is SUPER salty about this.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

zoux posted:

Robert Morrow should be invited to join SA.

Also "Ed Balls" needs a word filter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/howiewolf/status/771087015387533313

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

Honestly the real loser here was Nieto... WTF was he thinking? He got completely used and man-handled by a TV host.

So was he paid to do it?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sai posted:

can someone give a 101 on nieto and why hes such a loving retard?

silver spoon, and the main media conglomerate in Mexico, Televisa, openly colluded against his opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Larch posted:

Reminder that the Clinton campaign has released basically zero oppo on Trump so far.

Actually the entire oppo file leaked already and none of it mattered.

• Locked thread