Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

dolphin has full speed wii u emulaton. you still cant emulate ps2 at any reasonable speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXG73UWzcCQ

but the wii is cracked wide open and probably the cheapest/best standard-def set top box you can buy.

:lol: at the very idea of set top boxes. I'm old just give me one appliance per task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

dolphin has full speed wii u emulaton. you still cant emulate ps2 at any reasonable speed

but the wii is cracked wide open and probably the cheapest/best standard-def set top box you can buy.

Full-speed, upscaled PS2 emulation absolutely exists and has for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0shiO2sW0

Also I dunno about the WiiU but there are a bunch of games that are still a giant pain in the rear end to get running well in Dolphin (I actually own Xenoblade on Wii, but it looks so loving nice at 4x native resolution. Sadly I get hit with some slowdowns here and there and the audio isn't always perfect.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

This is correct. There was an article online maybe... a year ago or so that someone reverse engineered the chip but I've heard nothing since. Sorry I should have specified I want to play the GBA player on my behemoth CRT HDTV, in HD (a fool's errand probably).

I didn't read the full thing but http://retrorgb.com/gbacompare.html seems to be a pretty comprehensive article on the different ways you can do what you're looking for, with pretty detailed visual comparisons of the different methods.

Honestly it looks like even if you did have the component cables for the GC, you'd still need to use a bootloader or maybe even mod your GC in order to get the really best picture you can.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I bought a Mad Catz combination rumble pak/memory card for N64 once, and it only deleted all my saves once!
How often were there N64 games that didn't save on the cartridge? The only one I remember is South Park.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Casimir Radon posted:

How often were there N64 games that didn't save on the cartridge? The only one I remember is South Park.

Most of them used it.

Edit: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7041206/1/

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Aug 31, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought it because I was given Legend of the Mystical Ninja as a gift (loving awesome game btw) and it required a save pak, before then I hadn't really seen that many, though as time went by it seemed to be a much more common occurence.

I also got super loving lucky when my dad came back from a business trip to Japan with this bad boy:

I had just been contemplating getting the memory expansion (I think for one of the Rogue Squadron games maybe?) so that poo poo was clutch as hell. Had to use a translation FAQ off gameFAQs, but you better believe I 100%ed that game without understanding a word of it, too.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Full-speed, upscaled PS2 emulation absolutely exists and has for a while:

Nah, it's still pretty janky and needs to be tweaked quite a bit to get a fluid experience pending on the game. The Gran Turismo series jumps out in my mind as being complete bullshit even on contemporary high-end hardware.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Nah, it's still pretty janky and needs to be tweaked quite a bit to get a fluid experience pending on the game. The Gran Turismo series jumps out in my mind as being complete bullshit even on contemporary high-end hardware.

Well yeah, it's not perfect but it's doable on most of the more popular games, same with Dolphin emulation of a Wii.

PS2 emulation tweaking involves loving with settings a bunch to get it right, whereas up until about a month ago when 5.0 released, Wii emulation frequently involved finding a specific nightly release that just happened to play nice with the game you were trying to run.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Code Jockey posted:

Not gonna lie I want that control panel for Elite and Mechwarrior

I should get an adapter for my Steel Battalion controller. That's pretty much a tech relic too at this point.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TVs Ian posted:

I should get an adapter for my Steel Battalion controller. That's pretty much a tech relic too at this point.

I feel kind of shameful that my Steel Battalion setup sits boxed in my closet, I've been neglecting it.

Elite needs to release a special Commander's Edition or something with some ludicrously complex and probably incredibly expensive cockpit controller. I'd buy that poo poo so fast.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

I feel kind of shameful that my Steel Battalion setup sits boxed in my closet, I've been neglecting it.

Elite needs to release a special Commander's Edition or something with some ludicrously complex and probably incredibly expensive cockpit controller. I'd buy that poo poo so fast.

Wasn't there a 2nd Steel Battalion game that, instead of doing the logical thing and being compatible with the controller from the original, used Kinect of all dumb things?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Wasn't there a 2nd Steel Battalion game that, instead of doing the logical thing and being compatible with the controller from the original, used Kinect of all dumb things?

There was and it was like alternate WW 2 with mech tanks or some poo poo. It looked awful. I forget what it was on though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I want to say that was the 3rd one, there was a sequel that worked with the controller. I guess since it was for the 360 they didn't want to release an adapter for the controller or something (assuming the 360 would have been able to support it).

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Wii was a great console for most things other than games.  There were quite a few good games, but quite a bit of shovelware.  However, I still prefer the Netflix and Hulu interfaces compared to my Roku.  I also softmodded it and had a collection of games, movies and music on a 1TB drive and used my Wii all the time until I finally replaced my HD projection TV.  Launching a game on the Wii is superclass (usbloader) as is the other functions.  My jailbroken PS3, on the other hand, is nowhere as easy to use due to needing to launch additional apps to play online, etc.

That brings me to this:  Are modded/jailbroken consoles a tech relic?  You could softmod a Wii 2-3 years after its release and jailbreak a  PS3 in about the same amount of time after release.  I don't follow much on the Xbone, but other than a the Brazilian hacks a few months ago for PS4, there doesn't seem to be much progress being made.  

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Humphreys posted:

Well there goes my weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIPGpKo3Ag

Might try it on a 65" Rear Pro and see if it works

!!!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

The Wii was a great console for most things other than games.  There were quite a few good games, but quite a bit of shovelware.  However, I still prefer the Netflix and Hulu interfaces compared to my Roku.  I also softmodded it and had a collection of games, movies and music on a 1TB drive and used my Wii all the time until I finally replaced my HD projection TV.  Launching a game on the Wii is superclass (usbloader) as is the other functions.  My jailbroken PS3, on the other hand, is nowhere as easy to use due to needing to launch additional apps to play online, etc.

That brings me to this:  Are modded/jailbroken consoles a tech relic?  You could softmod a Wii 2-3 years after its release and jailbreak a  PS3 in about the same amount of time after release.  I don't follow much on the Xbone, but other than a the Brazilian hacks a few months ago for PS4, there doesn't seem to be much progress being made.  

no because people really want to figure out how to pirate games, but homebrew kind of is. now its easy to develop for android or use an android set top box or any other sort of open ended platform of that sort. there are tons, and they have a bigger userbase than modded consoles

the 3ds homebrew scene is basically nonexistant save for a bunch of retro first person shooter ports (actually pretty cool but nobody seems to care), but the regular ds has an absolutely massive library of tools and games and neat poo poo. the 3ds has the same capabilities, but better. ive been half rear end working on a bad 3ds-specific quake mod in the true homebrew spirit like all the weird quake dreamcast poo poo because i feel like there needs to be SOMETHING

nigga crab pollock has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Aug 31, 2016

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Nintendo historically takes a pretty laughable stance on device security, the WiiU has already been jailbroken. Microsoft had an awesome setup for the 360, the only exploits out to this day either require additional hardware (mod chip/JTAG) or are simply flashes of the DVD firmware to bypass the rejection of burnt media (this method doesn't allow for homebrew). As the security moves to a hardware level it just makes it exponentially harder and less approachable for the average person so they may already be there.

While there were rumors of the PS4 hacking anything I've seen was pretty ghetto (possibly faked?) and required a Raspberry Pi to operate. Device updates would brick these units and many games will force system updates so even if this did work it wouldn't be viable for long. I'd say we may see developments for these devices long after they are EOL but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

If you'd ever like to check what the Xbox One hack status is C4EVA (the guy who broke the XBOX360) has a website where his official IRC logs are transcribed: http://c4evaspeaks.com/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

no because people really want to figure out how to pirate games, but homebrew kind of is. now its easy to develop for android or use an android set top box or any other sort of open ended platform of that sort. there are tons, and they have a bigger userbase than modded consoles

the 3ds homebrew scene is basically nonexistant save for a bunch of retro first person shooter ports (actually pretty cool but nobody seems to care), but the regular ds has an absolutely massive library of tools and games and neat poo poo. the 3ds has the same capabilities, but better. ive been half rear end working on a bad 3ds-specific quake mod in the true homebrew spirit like all the weird quake dreamcast poo poo because i feel like there needs to be SOMETHING

Would like to know more about this mod

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Ball mice were a serious pain in the rear end for the computer janitors at school back in the day. Kids would always take the balls out and either dispose of them or throw them at each other or the walls where they would leave big dents in the drywall and bruises on other children.

The heads of the district IT squad had the genius idea to use super glue to seal the balls inside of the mice which ended the scourge of mouse ball related incidents but cut each mouses useful lifespan drastically since you couldn't clean them anymore. Eventually optical mice got cheap enough that they replaced all the ball mice but it took way longer than it should have.

I remember our school district still running Windows 98 until early 2006 because when summer break was over that year we came back to new XP machines. The new boxes had a gig of RAM, Athlon 64 chips, 80GB IDE drives for the OS install and a cheap SoundBlaster card.

The high school was furious when they eventually noticed that every single one of the boxes in their computer labs, almost 500 machines in total, now had 512MBs of RAM and were running off the onboard audio. They never figured out if it was clever students or a disgruntled IT worked who pulled off the heist.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TTerrible posted:

Would like to know more about this mod

i found an old mod called navy seals that itself is a very radical quake mod. but with the limitations of the hardware ends up working, kind of well actually, as an oddly paced high stress cover shooter? its not like anything i've ever played. it's like a bunch of seemingly bad things working together in unison to make something good or at least i see some potential. ive made a bunch of lovely test maps to see what the 3ds is capable of and i mean its still janky but at the same time its like some alternate timeline ps1 era shooter (jank and all) so i wanna make a little campaign. half to just say 'i made a first person shooter for the 3ds'

the mods source is included and i tried to delve into that to fix/change stuff but it doesn't compile and lol the second i tell people im working in C they dont want to help me anymore

its got a bunch of guns and sick nasty gib and particle effects and they all work on the janky software rendered 3ds port its the most beautiful thing :allears:

man holy poo poo imgur destroyed those images

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

i found an old mod called navy seals that itself is a very radical quake mod. but with the limitations of the hardware ends up working, kind of well actually, as an oddly paced high stress cover shooter? its not like anything i've ever played. it's like a bunch of seemingly bad things working together in unison to make something good or at least i see some potential. ive made a bunch of lovely test maps to see what the 3ds is capable of and i mean its still janky but at the same time its like some alternate timeline ps1 era shooter (jank and all) so i wanna make a little campaign. half to just say 'i made a first person shooter for the 3ds'

the mods source is included and i tried to delve into that to fix/change stuff but it doesn't compile and lol the second i tell people im working in C they dont want to help me anymore

its got a bunch of guns and sick nasty gib and particle effects and they all work on the janky software rendered 3ds port its the most beautiful thing :allears:

Haha this is great. When you say C do you mean the quakec progs.def or is it part of a engine mod in real c?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The guy who did Navy SEALS is Gooseman whose next big mod project was Counterstrike so...

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oh poo poo, I remember Navy Seals from 18 years ago :allears: You're doing the Lord's work.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

AFAIK, even to this day, if you upgraded your PS3's firmware past one of the really early updates, your only option if you want to mod it is to get an EEPROM flasher, which is both expensive and risky if you gently caress it up. The 3DS is a constant cat-and-mouse where Nintendo updates the firmware to block old exploits, then they come out with new exploits, etc.

I'm personally a huge fan of modding and homebrew - I still have an old-school regular Xbox loaded with every emulator from Atari/C64 all the way up to SNES/Genesis and everything in between. I also absolutely love my old-school PSP, since it's super easy to mod, and playing GBA games on it is a better experience than playing on an actual GBA. Also there's some great homebrew and ports on there (remember Tyrian? loving love that game, and now I have it wherever I go!) Not to mention loading times for actual PSP games are way better than reading off a UMD. Plus you can patch games (the Final Fantasy Tactics slowdown patch is a must!)

I remember when modding a Wii was like a 2-hour affair, now I'm pretty sure you plug an SD card with the right stuff on it and it does it all automatically in 5 minutes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never modded anything but I can watch Father Brown on my PS3 because my television set is a Sony.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

AFAIK, even to this day, if you upgraded your PS3's firmware past one of the really early updates, your only option if you want to mod it is to get an EEPROM flasher, which is both expensive and risky if you gently caress it up. The 3DS is a constant cat-and-mouse where Nintendo updates the firmware to block old exploits, then they come out with new exploits, etc.

I'm personally a huge fan of modding and homebrew - I still have an old-school regular Xbox loaded with every emulator from Atari/C64 all the way up to SNES/Genesis and everything in between. I also absolutely love my old-school PSP, since it's super easy to mod, and playing GBA games on it is a better experience than playing on an actual GBA. Also there's some great homebrew and ports on there (remember Tyrian? loving love that game, and now I have it wherever I go!) Not to mention loading times for actual PSP games are way better than reading off a UMD. Plus you can patch games (the Final Fantasy Tactics slowdown patch is a must!)

I remember when modding a Wii was like a 2-hour affair, now I'm pretty sure you plug an SD card with the right stuff on it and it does it all automatically in 5 minutes.

2GB or smaller SD card and a copy of smash bros brawl i think.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Not even, these days you can install a program on an SD card that sends a message to the wii (that stupid message centre feature that nobody uses) which you then open and it automatically executes the code to allow you to install home brew. No specific game necessary.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

Remember Twilight Hack? Ah that takes me back :allears:

PinkoBastard posted:

Not even, these days you can install a program on an SD card that sends a message to the wii (that stupid message centre feature that nobody uses) which you then open and it automatically executes the code to allow you to install home brew. No specific game necessary.

I had no idea it was that easy now. I just might end up doing that because my Wii is collecting quite a bit of dust.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

AFAIK, even to this day, if you upgraded your PS3's firmware past one of the really early updates, your only option if you want to mod it is to get an EEPROM flasher, which is both expensive and risky if you gently caress it up.

Yeah, I bought a fat, backwards compatible ps3 and had it done (big mistake and waste of money as they have a tendency to overheat). It died and bought a slim that was already jailbroken and it's been great. I softmodded a Wii according to directions on a SA offshoot back in 2009. Basically pulled it out of the box at Christmas and a couple hours later I was done.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also, the virtual Wii on the Wii U is just as easy to mod as the real system. It's great for installing Nintendon't on there so you can play GameCube games on the Wii U.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, the virtual Wii on the Wii U is just as easy to mod as the real system. It's great for installing Nintendon't on there so you can play GameCube games on the Wii U.

I'm not up to date on this, is Nintendont newer and better than DiosMio?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

I'm not up to date on this, is Nintendont newer and better than DiosMio?

Yes it's newer. Nintendont runs on the Wii U, has much better game compatibility, and supports more controllers (Wii U Pro, DS3, and DS4 for example).

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Original_Z posted:

I think Madcatz actually got big into the fighting game community with supposedly high quality sticks and fightpads, which seemed like a real brand mismatch. The Madcatz name is more or less toxic to gamers, no one will take anything with their logo seriously. They should have just rebranded the company and start over again.

Yeah this is true, but it's mostly because they got people that were actually involved/ popular in the FGC to market the sticks (markman, but he's gone)- they also used a lot of high quality parts (I think they used Sanwa buttons which are higher end stuff). I can vouch for Mad Catz arcade sticks- I've had 3 separate ones (2 hori and mad catz) and one of the Hori sticks had some issue with the PCB and the other has had two buttons go out. Both are newer than the MC stick and it is still going strong.

Everything else they make/have made/will make is hot garbage tho

Poco has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Sep 1, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TTerrible posted:

Haha this is great. When you say C do you mean the quakec progs.def or is it part of a engine mod in real c?

just the progs.dat. the source isn't too terribly coded or complicated and besides the pointer math i understand all of it, but i have never actually compiled anything in my life. it really needs to get fixed because theres some precaching errors and some janky code that leads to some oddities but i am kind of in over my head u could say

it's not an engine mod, it's fully winquake compatible. which also means that putting it on the dreamcast or psp or android or gently caress literally anything is just a matter of repackaging it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think Mad Catz got wrecked on the deal where they produced the instruments for Rock Band and lost a shitload of money, in addition to the weird fighting stick thing. I'm honestly impressed they are still around with a name so toxic to the demographic they need to buy their products.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PS2 has a stupidly complex CPU for no good reason and thankfully everyone seems to have learned their lesson and just puts x86 in everything now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Saturn had its guts in some lament configuration of parallel dual processors right? That was bitchmode to program?

Then Sony goes "pah, that's scrubtier. Bring on the Emotion Engine!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hear the Xbox Scorpion will have to be programed in a series of haiku.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tato posted:

I think Mad Catz got wrecked on the deal where they produced the instruments for Rock Band and lost a shitload of money, in addition to the weird fighting stick thing. I'm honestly impressed they are still around with a name so toxic to the demographic they need to buy their products.

They are aided and abetted by the fact that there isn't much competition for what they make (notably saitek's line) and while definitely crappier quality, they are also relatively cheap. A thrustmaster warthog hotas/pedals or CH hotas setup is horrendously expensive. You're stuck with them for certain peripherals unless you're cashed up.

Branding coups like the x52 being the literal joystick you see in the cockpit of elite: dangerous don't hurt either.

I'd still like the entire company to sink into the ocean though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I miss joysticks being a required peripheral.