Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
apparently ninjas were all into firearms and arquebuses from europe n poo poo so in all likelihood they probably would have just shot you

ninja :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I am a samurai AMA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
where do you get off claiming you can cut through plate armor you phony

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Al Cowens posted:

I am a samurai AMA

How much tape do you use on your katana

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That video doesn't really show anything against mma or anything. If there is a bunch of people with clubs, you probably aren't going to win any fight unless you have a machine gun or a bear suit.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ElGroucho posted:

How much tape do you use on your katana
all of it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Moridin who won the first UFC tournament when headbutting and dick wrenching was allowed? Was that not real fighting either?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

That video doesn't really show anything against mma or anything. If there is a bunch of people with clubs, you probably aren't going to win any fight unless you have a machine gun or a bear suit.

ah but my point is that real life is not a ring and you're not going to really get the opportunity to show of your sick mma skills before you get wrecked so just better not act a fool irl because you won some MMA fights

cuz you never know when that dude you're messing with's friend is gonna creep up like Eazy E and his Louisville slugger

really all this just stems from my minor annoyance at the MMA dudes in that vid and in the comments going "haha see MMA is the ultimate fighting art"

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

moridin take a hike please

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just for you ROFLburger, I will

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

ah but my point is that real life is not a ring and you're not going to really get the opportunity to show of your sick mma skills before you get wrecked so just better not act a fool irl because you won some MMA fights

cuz you never know when that dude you're messing with's friend is gonna creep up like Eazy E and his Louisville slugger

Yeah thats why I said bear suit

http://www.improbable.com/news/2001/nov/troy-bear2.html

Pretty much the only real defense against ghetto thugs.

I prefer to just send my girlfriend to the gas station.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

initially your point that was a wrestler could never hope to wrestle someone who can grab his nuts, which is retarded. Nobody is claiming that sick mma training makes a person immune to baseball bats or whatever, you made that one up in your head

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sharzak posted:

Moridin who won the first UFC tournament when headbutting and dick wrenching was allowed? Was that not real fighting either?

Who cares who won it, Danny Severn or however you spell it was the most entertaining to watch.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So by your standards we should all be learning krav maga if we want to really fight

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress that, gouging. deface all of her majesty's subjects

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sharzak posted:

So by your standards we should all be learning krav maga if we want to really fight

From what I've read, lots of the places purporting to be teaching krav maga don't teach anything super useful.

Moridin920 posted:

really all this just stems from my minor annoyance at the MMA dudes in that vid and in the comments going "haha see MMA is the ultimate fighting art"

While that attitude can certainly be annoying, it is a response to the very similarly misguided attitude that traditional martial arts are "always the best" and that combat sports teach nothing useful/practical.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 31, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The reality of it is just don't go to places where a fight is going to break out. Winning a bar fight or a gas station fight isn't going to get you laid, and neither is losing. Get yourself some muscles, a personality and a nice savings account and ignore all the silly people wanting to punch each other after the bar's PPV ufc event lets out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Sharzak posted:

That's the one where everything you learn is just ripped off a bunch of different fighting styles but they just pull stuff that gets you to kill your opponent as fast as possible right?

If so yeah I would say the best way to win a fight is probably with the fighting style of "I just want to kill you ASAP."

That's my opinion as someone who has never been in a fight

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

jonathan posted:

The reality of it is just don't go to places where a fight is going to break out. Winning a bar fight or a gas station fight isn't going to get you laid, and neither is losing. Get yourself some muscles, a personality and a nice savings account and ignore all the silly people wanting to punch each other after the bar's PPV ufc event lets out.

Yeah. Even some historical manuals tell you that the best way to win a fight is to avoid it! Especially if groups get involved. And these were written when people being armed with at least knives or daggers was assumed. Being tough or a good fighter won't make you any less easy to kill with a knife or something.

Also, places that try to advertise that their poo poo will make you unbeatable in random fights are places to avoid and should have the same reputation online that traditional "mcdojos" have.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

doctor 7 posted:

That's the one where everything you learn is just ripped off a bunch of different fighting styles but they just pull stuff that gets you to kill your opponent as fast as possible right?

If so yeah I would say the best way to win a fight is probably with the fighting style of "I just want to kill you ASAP."

That's my opinion as someone who has never been in a fight

and it's the wrong one, for reasons that have been explored. If you want to kill people, buy a handgun.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Full disclosure I did krav maga at two different places and both were pretty positive experiences and crucially both involved sparring. There are lots of places where sparring isn't allowed and those are not places you should go.
Instead of krav I now train mixed martial arts with a former ufc title contender.

my take is that krav as long as you can do safe live sparring isn't actually as bad as its made out to be but it also 100% relies on the assumption that you are fighting someone untrained, even at higher levels. A BJJ blue belt would absolutely destroy someone who has taken krav for an equivalent amount of time and the disparity gets worse the more time you're talking about. But krav is better for loving up random dudes on the street and will teach you those skills faster--one week of krav classes (where they teach you how to fight rather than weird standing armlocks) guy will probably beat one week of bjj classes guy. Anyway I'm gay.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Fire Barrel posted:

Yeah. Even some historical manuals tell you that the best way to win a fight is to avoid it! Especially if groups get involved. And these were written when people being armed with at least knives or daggers was assumed. Being tough or a good fighter won't make you any less easy to kill with a knife or something.

Also, places that try to advertise that their poo poo will make you unbeatable in random fights are places to avoid and should have the same reputation online that traditional "mcdojos" have.

Street fights are really, really stupid and should def. be avoided altogether. I've read about several people in my city alone over the last few years that have been killed by a single punch. They get knocked unconscious and then fall headfirst onto the pavement and are dead. And the guy who threw the punch, thinking he was going to show how tough and manly he was by knocking some dude out just like in the UFC, is now a murderer.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

proof of concept posted:

and it's the wrong one, for reasons that have been explored. If you want to kill people, buy a handgun.

seriously

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

The end of Rocky 5 really shows how badly a street fighter would beat a trained prize fighter.

naem
May 29, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

seriously

What the heck movie is that

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

naem posted:

What the heck movie is that

Equilibrium. Pretty fun action movie with lots of gun-fu.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Al Cowens posted:

I am a samurai AMA

Nî Hâo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

seriously

the secret is planting explosives on your enemies beforehand

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

Cyborg is going to rule the ufc for awhile even at a disadvantage of having to shed all her weight. its a shame really, these other women fighters should be forced to gain weight. Shouldn't be that hard OHHHHHHHHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUIW-0jC3o

God drat the UFC sucks rear end

Everyone loves these kinds of fights and they're nothing more than the worst boxing match you've ever seen.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2SVOWRm6g

This is the thing people want when they talk about MMA fights.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

God drat the UFC sucks rear end

Everyone loves these kinds of fights and they're nothing more than the worst boxing match you've ever seen.

you should consider watching the good divisions of the ufc

naem
May 29, 2011

Cyberpope v2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2SVOWRm6g

This is the thing people want when they talk about MMA fights.

Neither one of those guys blocks or dodges a single punch

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
"What kind of self-defense training do you have?"

"Track."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

gigawhite posted:

If they're so ultimate why don't they use weapons and secret ninja techniques. I don't understand UFC at all they just hug and roll around

Mma used to be like this then dweebs started treating it like a real sport and now everyone does limp kicks and grapples and haymakers

Iirc there was one dude some ufc goons were cheesed about because he intentionally acted like a smug wrestling heel for the spectacle

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

naem posted:

Neither one of those guys blocks or dodges a single punch

does the mustache say "i dodge punches" to you :colbert:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Don Frye is good tho because he looks like the Dad Punch King

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Neurolimal posted:

Mma used to be like this then dweebs started treating it like a real sport and now everyone does limp kicks and grapples and haymakers

Iirc there was one dude some ufc goons were cheesed about because he intentionally acted like a smug wrestling heel for the spectacle

The big name fighters who get a cut of the PPV money (or gate maybe?) have to basically promote the fight themselves. So they have all kinds of idiotic fake drama, poo poo-talking and "bad blood". Then of course after the fight they are best buds.

Or if your name is Ronda Rousey, you take the promotional fake poo poo-talk from the opponent extremely personally and act like a piece of poo poo after the fight, refusing to even shake the opponent's hand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gina Carano is a dream waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A friend of a friend was in the UFC for a bit and pretty much displayed the worst fight I've ever seen. After that I think he ended up doing a bunch of fights at hell's angels parties.

• Locked thread