Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of writers (especially comic writers) seem to think that marriage or even a long-term stable relationship is the Good Ending and once you hit it all interesting things die and it's kind of sad and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of writers (especially comic writers) seem to think that marriage or even a long-term stable relationship is the Good Ending and once you hit it all interesting things die and it's kind of sad and depressing.

The Good+ Ending is marrying all the romantic interests at once.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would read a bigamist flash. He could have different secret identities, different wives in different cities. They all know he's the flash but don't know he has other civilian identities and wives.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Really, the only thing that's ever wrong with any character is that they're in a bad comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Did they already change older Wally's suit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probably just an artist not paying attention to his reference piece.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

BrianWilly posted:

Wally was pretty good in the latest Flash issue and seems fine in the TT preview so I look forward to people shutting up about this "problem" that's frankly pretty much fixed at this point.

There's no real graceful way to handle this, but having N52 Wally just be OG Wally's cousin from another dimension who still gets to be in Kid Flash in the Flash book proper and Teen Titans is about as good as it was ever going to get.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Well it's also because it's easy to write boilerplate romance. You can hit the same basic plot points but because one of the characters is different it technically isn't rehashing. It's a lazy writer goldmine.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhyno posted:

They could have just had old Wally's essence merge with New Wally or something.

30 year old man enters 12 year old's body and looks to hook up with his 20something former wife who doesn't know he exists.

Fund it!

The only problem with New 52 Wally at this point is his origin (because of Venditti/DC's bad decisions) and that his existence kind of stipulates that Bart Allen and Iris West II don't really have a place in the universe anymore. The latter probably isn't a big deal to most people (but I still liked half korean girl impulse for the 20 seconds she existed) and the former has been a mess ever since DC took away Barry + Iris. So since that poo poo's not even close to fixed he's got a niche that needed filling anyhow.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's nothing worse than seeing a couple you really like get through the dumbest of relationship drama. Stuck with volume three of Teen Titans until the very end like an idiot just to see if they'd finally cut out the "Will they or won't they" crap going on with Beast Boy and Raven, and they thankfully did in the end.

Just in time for the New 52 to reset their relationship entirely!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

30 year old man enters 12 year old's body and looks to hook up with his 20something former wife who doesn't know he exists.

Fund it!

At least it wouldn't be racist!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

At least it wouldn't be racist!

You know we had some biracial flash family kids hanging around for awhile who'd be perfect for the Teen Titans right about now.

DC screwed the pooch on a lot and New 52 Wally was basically the shining example of how lost in the woods they were about everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Fund it!

The only problem with New 52 Wally at this point is his origin (because of Venditti/DC's bad decisions) and that his existence kind of stipulates that Bart Allen and Iris West II don't really have a place in the universe anymore. The latter probably isn't a big deal to most people (but I still liked half korean girl impulse for the 20 seconds she existed) and the former has been a mess ever since DC took away Barry + Iris. So since that poo poo's not even close to fixed he's got a niche that needed filling anyhow.

I didn't think of it that way.

Anything that erases Bart Allen is good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't think of it that way.

Anything that erases Bart Allen is good.

If you mean Bar Tor I agree.

If you mean actual Bart Allen then we're bout to have a fight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If you mean Bar Tor I agree.

If you mean actual Bart Allen then we're bout to have a fight.

Waid's Impulse is one of the best comics that DC ever released.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Waid's Impulse is one of the best comics that DC ever released.

Impulse + YJ + Waid's Flash are all awesome in no small part due to Bart being awesome.

Then he turned into Kid Flash. Johns never did write a good Bart Allen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Frank Cho's replacement on WW variants, Jenny Frison.

That'll do.

e: Frank, not Mike.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 31, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's certainly an upgrade.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No! Bad Teenage Fansub! Bad!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mike Cho's replacement on WW variants, Jenny Frison.

That'll do.

Jenny Frisowns.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's nice, though there was honestly nothing wrong with Cho's in the first place before he threw his little tantrum.

The hilarious thing is that, if you look back, Rucka apparently requested even more overt changes on Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott's original covers -- in the former she's clearly looking too fierce and the latter she's not looking fierce enough -- and yet neither of them started bleeting on about censorship.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That second one has a whole different inking/colouring.
It went from really rendered to relatively flat and cartoony.

e: I'm sure he/whoever just asked for it to be brighter, but I think it lost a bit with the backlighting especially. I also prefer the subtle birds in the original.

ee:
They've put a "Road To Rebirth" brand on the Lois and Clark trade, which is pretty smart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNE_MWLzLM&t=138s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 31, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You know we had some biracial flash family kids hanging around for awhile who'd be perfect for the Teen Titans right about now.

DC screwed the pooch on a lot and New 52 Wally was basically the shining example of how lost in the woods they were about everything.

Im not gonna get into it with people but re introducing Wally as a black kid when they knew drat loving well that eventually they would have to cave in and bring back the real wally was loving stupid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I absolutely believe that before the DC You disaster DC believed they would not need to bring old Wally back

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel bad about DC You and everything. Seems like DC saw the writing on the wall and made the progressive leap, but it didn't work out for them. Marvel can probably afford not having to pander to straight middle aged white men because their whole publishing division is basically just advertisement for the billion dollar movies. DC may technically be turning a profit with theirs, but they keep missing the success they really want by a hair.

Funny thing, anime is the same way. Every season there's tons of exploitative garbage either to titillate creepy turbonerds enough to have them buy the blu-rays and merch in droves or advertise to kids harder than the most toyetic eighties cartoon ever, but that's just about the only way to make much money and stay in business.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blockhouse posted:

I absolutely believe that before the DC You disaster DC believed they would not need to bring old Wally back

Definitely. Then again, if you believe the rumours Black Wally only exists to have sinergy with the TV show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Where is Hickman? Doesn't he have an exclusive?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Where is Hickman? Doesn't he have an exclusive?

What?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He made a joke about asking DC to let him blow up another universe and somehow that gave people real hope.

He's launching new Image comics ATM. Black Monday Murders #1 was amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He made a joke about asking DC to let him blow up another universe and somehow that gave people real hope.

He's launching new Image comics ATM. Black Monday Murders #1 was amazing.

Yeah I was aware and I thought everyone knew he was joking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He's said he doesn't want to work on any kind of long term or high profile project for a while. The only Big Two books he's mentioned being interested in are Legion for DC and Eternals for Marvel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well that is just great. Here I was racking my brain and googling if I missed news on his book and was hoping it was the JSA relaunch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, that still hasn't had it's crew announced. They're gonna have to get a big deal for that cause who on earth is caring about this current JL comic.
Hilariously, Hitch's DCYou series continues this week.

e: Oops. Thought you typed JLA.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Frank Cho's replacement on WW variants, Jenny Frison.

That'll do.

e: Frank, not Mike.

That is great looking.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
More exclusive signings.

Robson Rocha is terrible and I've never seen a single page from him that was a step above "last minute fill-in art.'

Otto Schmidt however is probably the most exciting artistic talent I've seen on a DC book in a long long time. Good for both parties.

Edit: Side Note, but boy are the new layouts for Newsarama and CBR just absolute loving garbage.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 31, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Semper Fudge posted:

Edit: Side Note, but boy are the new layouts for Newsarama and CBR just absolute loving garbage.

Agreed. Clearly put together by unpaid interns.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe they used the same company that did the new DC logo.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The CBR redesign is horrible but at least they went a step further and excised all their columns content so you have no reason to ever visit the site again. RIP the Comics Should Be Good archives though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Equilibrium posted:

The CBR redesign is horrible but at least they went a step further and excised all their columns content so you have no reason to ever visit the site again. RIP the Comics Should Be Good archives though.

All that stuff is still there though. And the guy has even done another column since the redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Uh, where? The columns filters are all gone, their site search feature turns up nothing and google searching turns up nothing but dead links. Last I checked there was a big thread on the forums where the new editor just kept dodging questions about it.