Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Now all that being said, it has made possible all the jokes skirting the boundaries of the rule, which are funnier than just telling the OP to kill themself.

You're loving eh right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Now all that being said, it has made possible all the jokes skirting the boundaries of the rule, which are funnier than just telling the OP to kill themself.

yea that's precisely it, "kill yourself OP" is lowest common denominator of the shitposting scale that you just scroll through it all anyways, eyes glazed over.

i dont mind reading dumb bad posts if its on purpose instead of just taking up space all the time

like this one, its taking up space~ :ocelot:

if people are unloading, at least make your punches connect with the shitposting punching bag instead of just flailing allover it is all im sayin~

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

QCS has had hundreds of suggestions over the years, and the usual reply was a snarky ~fart~ sound from ralp. I'm not sure why it should be different this time. I'm getting kind of tired of people coming up with various scenarios and financing options, only for it to be ignored until the next mopey post comes half a year later.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Im not sure a bulletin board style forum is ever going to come back but applewhite seems to have a positive attitude towards the forums and it'd be fine if he modded gbs since he seems fairly active and thoughtful.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

i could agree if the first few posts weren't literally "im gay" or "kill yourself op" over and over

I generally don't mind this since after a few replies, people have gotten that out of their system and we can have a nice thread. It's an initiation process of sorts that GBS threads tend to go through. It's even pretty funny sometimes. I can see why it bothers some people though. If mods want to give those guys sixers or even a day and then let the thread discussion continue naturally, that seems fine to me.

You're usually not gonna end up with a page+ of nothing but shitposts unless the thread topic or OP itself is poo poo.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
applewhite for mod and me for corrupt community spokesman who gets free pictures of lum the invader

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Get rid of dumb catchphrases and you magically make the forums better. Kill yourself OP isn't bad because the person posting it is advocating suicide, it is bad because it is a waste of loving space and comprises 20% of the thread content from forums superstars. I'm gay was even worse in this regard.

SA used to ban people for posting image macros for the exact same reason, not sure why that rule couldn't come back around, slightly modified.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dont be glum, lowtax. you should auction this webzone on ebay with a comfortable reserve price. we can crowdfund a buyout, and rules, mods, abd admins will be chosen by the posters, for the posters.

given the track records of buyouts, crowdfunding, and democracy, that's a bright future for somethingisawful.com

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If you let people buy 6 hour probies for other users and limited it to a couple purchases a month you could probably create another cash flow. Maybe only let users buy it twice a month and only let it be done a certain amount of times a month to accounts targeted.

I would totally spend money on that.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Kaedric posted:

Get rid of dumb catchphrases and you magically make the forums better. Kill yourself OP isn't bad because the person posting it is advocating suicide, it is bad because it is a waste of loving space and comprises 20% of the thread content from forums superstars

Exactly this. And I know someone here is going to pipe up with "WE WERE MAD BECAUSE SMYTHE SAID IT WAS TO KEEP PEOPLE FROM KILLING THEMSELVES AND THAT'S STUPID". Who gives a gently caress why he made it bannable? It's a dumb loving catchphrase and was said in almost every loving thread in GBS.

Just say no to catchphrases. (Lastgirl I need you to keep pushing this catchphrase please)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think SA is good, and we should stop trying to own each other. its a message board. lets be cool buds to each other.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im guilty of it at times, and im going to try to make it a more positive place. goons can be pretty grognardy, but there are also some really cool ones that ive made friends with.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
instead of forums cancer maybe mods could give good posters 'forums blessings' and their name is a color and like the background of the post is a different color and only people who make cool or funny threads get it

thats my contribution

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Create some sort of snobby-sounding subforum for elite members that you can only access if you subscribe for 5 bucks a month. Yeah, we would all know it's basically bullshit but I get way more enjoyment than 5 bucks a month off of SA and would pay it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Eonwe posted:

I think SA is good, and we should stop trying to own each other. its a message board. lets be cool buds to each other.
I always like your posts. :)

And to Lowtax: It was front page content that got me reading this site about fourteen years ago. You shouldn't lose heart - after all, like you said there were plenty of naysayers the entire time. You not only have the site which produces good and funny content, you produced a good deal of it yourself and got to present some very talented people to a larger audience. You give us a place where we connect, and despite the low-effort posters and the trolls in general, the society is a net gain for all involved. Hell, if the place wasn't vibrant, there would be no trolls since they need fresh meat to live.

So when people say that tired cliche "dead gay forums", I either assume a) it's a clever catchphrase to ward off potential shitposters and steer them off towards poo poo sites like reddit or b) it's dumb assholes who just want to be edgy and nihilistic as possible (you know who you are).

SA is great. Loved it for almost half my life. Still read the front page. Love you guys dearly. Peace.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think we should all come together to make Idaho Spud happen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

I always like your posts. :)

And to Lowtax: It was front page content that got me reading this site about fourteen years ago. You shouldn't lose heart - after all, like you said there were plenty of naysayers the entire time. You not only have the site which produces good and funny content, you produced a good deal of it yourself and got to present some very talented people to a larger audience. You give us a place where we connect, and despite the low-effort posters and the trolls in general, the society is a net gain for all involved. Hell, if the place wasn't vibrant, there would be no trolls since they need fresh meat to live.

So when people say that tired cliche "dead gay forums", I either assume a) it's a clever catchphrase to ward off potential shitposters and steer them off towards poo poo sites like reddit or b) it's dumb assholes who just want to be edgy and nihilistic as possible (you know who you are).

SA is great. Loved it for almost half my life. Still read the front page. Love you guys dearly. Peace.

"same:

Yeah, frontpage is good and real.

Rich and Zack still kill it and the other contributors aren't anything to sneeze at.

I remember when Golan the Insatiable showed up on tv.

Sucks about that slenderman poo poo though. My niece was really into it and uh I hope she grows out of it.

welp

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Applewhite posted:

If you want to encourage effortposting, I recommend positive reinforcement. Making rules against"bad" posts will only discourage people from posting altogether, whereas rewarding and recognizing good posts has proven results.

I don't know if you recall, but the period when Gnarly was having weekly posting contests saw the longest continuous string of goldmined threads I've seen in my admittedly short time here. Every week there were two or three amazing sticky threads and a lot of great stuff was happening. Gnarlyhotep gets a lot of poo poo but the numbers don't lie and he oversaw a GBS Renaissance.

The reward doesn't have to be anything big, it can be something as small as an AV change or even just recognition. Creative types love recognition and if you offer it to them they will work themselves to death to get it.

This will, of course require some effort from the mods beyond probating and banning people.

Applewhite is 100% correct here. Purges and ruthless banning got us 2012 gbs. Gnarly was fun to tease and shitpost at because he had a lively sense of humor about being King Retard but he was absolutely one of the better mods I can ever remember GBS having.

Promote the funniest people, steer them toward rewarding creativity and comedy with stickies, mod challenges, contests, etc. Lean toward gassing bad threads rather than dropping bans as content control. Consider having a larger number of mods to share duties so they don't run out of fun ideas and resort to just babysitting the report queue, then burning out entirely.

I realize that babysitting the report queue still needs to be done, but bans and probes shouldn't be the primary tools of moderation.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Also, shitposting is frequently funny. There has to be room for it. But it should be risky behavior; if you shitpost in a bad thread there shouldn't be punishment. But if you shitpost in an unfunny way in a thread a mod thinks is funny or cool, uh oh spaghettios

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
You should be able to rate individual posts like the thread and then when the post goes over a certain number it turns gold or rainbow or something.

Atma
Sep 16, 2002

College Slice
Gamify GBS.

Make it so that if you do a good effort post, mods reward you with some kind of SA forum currency. We can call them "doobies" for now.

Earn X doobies and be allowed to change the avatar of another user or give someone a title. Things you can already do for real money, but instead using the currency of the internet.

Other things you can do with doobies:

Spend X to change an entire thread's background.
Spend X to sticky a thread for Y days.
Spend X to give a thread a special banner.

Or not. I dunno, I'm reading this thread and eating macaroni and cheese.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Atma posted:

Gamify GBS.

Make it so that if you do a good effort post, mods reward you with some kind of SA forum currency. We can call them "doobies" for now.

Earn X doobies and be allowed to change the avatar of another user or give someone a title. Things you can already do for real money, but instead using the currency of the internet.

I'm gunning for your doobies, Atma.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

I dunno why everyone is so hung up on the idea GBS needs to be funny.

I get it that this is a comedy forum, but justifying every complaint against GBS with "x isn't funny" or "if you rely on x, your comedy is weak" is not helpful.

GBS is a place to decompress and vent about the world. Decompressing is a great avenue for comedy because we find solace in humor and pointing out the absurdity of the lovely things in our lives, but some of the most fun I've had in GBS haven't been "funny" threads at all.

GBS stands for "general bullshit" and I approach it the same way I approach bullshiting with my IRL friends. Sometimes you laugh together, or shoot the poo poo about movies or videogames or stupid ideas. Sometimes the conversation turns really serious and profound, or there's a heated argument. And sometimes you just need a sounding board to bitch about your day.

All types and topics of discussion should be welcome here and constantly pressuring GBS to be "funny" does much more harm than good. Just let people be and the funny will happen.

-What GBS means to me, by Applewhite.

I agree 100%

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Sometimes you need to scream, whatever, into a hole. Sometimes that hole is filled with gold. Sometimes, it's a huge heaping pile of poo poo.

Sometimes you need to scream.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

real talk theres no way id moderate this garbage pile for free

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I like GBS, although I don't think having it be the "default" forum does us any favors in terms of attracting new users. It has a fairly different atmosphere from most of the other subforums, but folks are gonna check here first and get scared off.

Even changing that won't bring in enough regs though. There just isn't anything drawing in new blood. It used to be the front page, but that has long since fallen out of popularity. The advent of LPs brought people in for awhile, but that isn't an SA-exclusive thing anymore and that traffic has gone towards twitch and youtube. I dunno what the next step is, but I do not think that a few moderation changes in GBS will have much of an impact.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vargs posted:

I like GBS, although I don't think having it be the "default" forum does us any favors in terms of attracting new users.

i dont care what anyone says, i dont think it ever was. maybe, maybe, back around 2003-2005 when there was a lot of hilarious poo poo in it, but after like 08 it became trash for a solid half a decade. im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the big draw to the something awful forums for the last decade has been games and its various subforums.

id like to know how many genuinely new users have regged the last couple years. thatd be interesting

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beefeater posted:

Or they could just not quote every post they like and respond with "lol". Isn't doing so a prime example of whitenoise posting? It adds nothing to the thread.

This doesn't happen. I've never see you post tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Applewhite posted:

It's a stupid rule imo. Smythe implemented it because, and I quote he "didn't want the bodies piling up on his watch."

Not a single goon has ever killed themselves as a result of someone posting "kill yourself, OP." It's silly.
It's a loving stupid thing to post that doesn't contribute poo poo, and if you think it's funny or useful or interesting maybe just go ahead and don't post anymore.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

There is no functional difference between a humorless dweeb whinging, "that's not funny!"
And something actually being unfunny.

It's a tightrope

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Darth123123 posted:

This doesn't happen. I've never see you post tho

lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

There is no functional difference between a humorless dweeb whinging, "that's not funny!"
And something actually being unfunny.

It's a tightrope

Everything is funny and if you can't see that then there's something wrong with you and everyone who agrees with you, which is the vast majority of people.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vargs posted:

I like GBS, although I don't think having it be the "default" forum does us any favors in terms of attracting new users. It has a fairly different atmosphere from most of the other subforums, but folks are gonna check here first and get scared off.

Even changing that won't bring in enough regs though. There just isn't anything drawing in new blood. It used to be the front page, but that has long since fallen out of popularity. The advent of LPs brought people in for awhile, but that isn't an SA-exclusive thing anymore and that traffic has gone towards twitch and youtube. I dunno what the next step is, but I do not think that a few moderation changes in GBS will have much of an impact.

The clear path forward. Tyvm

I think the rules are fine. Burn some of the really low content posters, but leave it a free open space. It'll catch on tax. I'm frankly surprised you came back and cared a bit. SA must have some possibility of upswing, and if it's perpetually in the red it'd be shut down by now. There are 5:1 bad:good threads but some I open and chuckle and never visit again. Others I post badly in over and over because I find them and the people entertaining.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Atma posted:

Gamify GBS.

i want the ability to slay other posters and grab their doobies (not gay)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a loving stupid thing to post that doesn't contribute poo poo, and if you think it's funny or useful or interesting maybe just go ahead and don't post anymore.

>: (

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Everything is funny and if you can't see that then there's something wrong with you and everyone who agrees with you, which is the vast majority of people.

Lol
Ur funny

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Atma posted:

Gamify GBS.

this post brings up a good point

Ban any idiot retard that won't shut up about a loving racist hillbilly hotdog seller more than a year after he went out of business and 3 years after it stopped being funny

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Fat Shat Sings posted:

this post brings up a good point

Ban any idiot retard that won't shut up about a loving racist hillbilly hotdog seller more than a year after he went out of business and 3 years after it stopped being funny

hand over the doobies, bitch

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Putty posted:

hand over the doobies, bitch

I'm not going to be comfortable dealing in doobies until i spend 6,000 hours pouring over every single shred of information that exists on some fat racist in alabama, let me get back to you on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
RIP

DOULBE RYIP

• Locked thread