Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Overwined posted:

I saw someone on I-95 today that was from, I think, NC. Their license plate said TESUJI.

Which one of you was it and was JOSEKI already taken?

I was going to get it, but I heard that if you get the license plate "joseki," you lose two stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Emo Rodeo posted:

Who removed me from ITGO, I will have your heads! Seriously though, add Hestler back...

You haven't been following anything

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
why doesnt nobody play no go no more

we need ke jie to lose to alphago or something already

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
no one posts games or positions or anything! all anyone does is talk about talking about go

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I still hate go

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I haven't played go for two months but I will probably play a game tonight.

update: I just played some 9x9 instead

nrook fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 17, 2016

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shadonra posted:

no one posts games or positions or anything! all anyone does is talk about talking about go

okay then, here's the most recent game i lost, tell me all the stupid i did

http://eidogo.com/#v2YeWtBR

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
first 10 things that jumped out to me:

18: this is one of the rare cases where the double hanging connection is better than either solid connection
20: probably shouldn't be sente right now for you. it's not sente for Black pretty much ever, so play this later
26: joseki is to invade 3-3 immediately
28: it's not worth responding here
36: doesn't get you anything
40: c14 is better
44: one-space jump instead of knight's move is more severe on your opponent
56: g17 is better, black can't catch the cutting stones
60: f13 probably sente against left side group, the way you played damages your top too much
64: no followup on the right side means you're just helping your opponent slaughter the top

if anyone has any questions, ask them. let's Make the Go Thread Great Again

Shadonra fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 17, 2016

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shadonra posted:

first 10 things that jumped out to me:

18: this is one of the rare cases where the double hanging connection is better than either solid connection
20: probably shouldn't be sente right now for you. it's not sente for Black pretty much ever, so play this later
26: joseki is to invade 3-3 immediately
28: it's not worth responding here
36: doesn't get you anything
40: c14 is better
44: one-space jump instead of knight's move is more severe on your opponent
56: g17 is better, black can't catch the cutting stones
60: f13 probably sente against left side group, the way you played damages your top too much
64: no followup on the right side means you're just helping your opponent slaughter the top

if anyone has any questions, ask them. let's Make the Go Thread Great Again

Thank you! re: 36, isn't that joseki? what would you suggest instead?

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
it's only joseki when you already have a stone at r8, so that you can seal the black group into the corner entirely. probably should just tenuki.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whats the best move for black after w plays 3-3 here instead of f4 or the 5-5?

it seems to me the best is to play the 5-5 myself, but then it leads to this situation:

which doesnt seem good for black.

what am i missing?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hmm, I went to play go for the first time in awhile, and then OGS went down before I could get in a game. This may be a sign.

Could somebody reinvite me to ITGO? I'm 'nrook' on KGS.

Also drat you have to wait awhile to get a game on KGS without a rating.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
when ogs is down there is a neat trick, you push f5 and its back up again

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
SUCH DISRESPECT FOR MY INFLUENCE >:[

https://online-go.com/game/5797137

i still had b10 up my sleeve too :smug:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this problem cracks me up for some reason

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

totino boy posted:

this problem cracks me up for some reason

What am I missing here?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

What am I missing here?

White captures the stone but it doesnt matter.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

VikingofRock posted:

What am I missing here?

imagining someone playing that out in an actual game just makes me laugh for some reason

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012

totino boy posted:

whats the best move for black after w plays 3-3 here instead of f4 or the 5-5?

it seems to me the best is to play the 5-5 myself, but then it leads to this situation:

which doesnt seem good for black.

what am i missing?

you want f5 or maybe attach to the pincer stone. the result is good for white unless black has another stone on the left like sanrensei. that move punishes white for double approaching if black does have that stone.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

totino boy posted:

imagining someone playing that out in an actual game just makes me laugh for some reason

lol nice

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I recently came into possession of a wooden goban. I bet you haven't seen anything quite like it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IT HAS LEGS I WAN THAT

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Hint: Look for tengen. :ssh:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

dirby posted:

I recently came into possession of a wooden goban. I bet you haven't seen anything quite like it.

I had to count twice to make sure. Where did you find it?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

House Louse posted:

I had to count twice to make sure. Where did you find it?

It was custom made for me.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Nobody other than Prod or I are handing around in ITGO so whoever has ownership, make me an owner so I can invite.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the kgs android client is now a less ridiculously priced 4.99, im thinking of trying it out. anyone know if it is functional?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

totino boy posted:

the kgs android client is now a less ridiculously priced 4.99, im thinking of trying it out. anyone know if it is functional?
Haven't used it in a long time, but it works perfectly fine for accepting and playing matches and has review features. I can't remember if you can create games with it, but you definitely can't talk in chat.

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
You can create games, and chat was added some time ago, if a bit of a pain on mobile. Review functionality is awful though.

After a break I feel like getting back into go - can someone add me back in to ITGO? I'm 'seamus' on kgs.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i tried it and it works WAY better than elygo, which i had enourmous trouble placing stones on the edge of the board, and also could not chat and could not see the end scoring so had no idea what i was accepting.

my favorite part is that you select the position on the board then have a huge 'confirm' button to press to actually place the move, quite difficult to mess that up.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Emo Rodeo posted:

Nobody other than Prod or I are handing around in ITGO so whoever has ownership, make me an owner so I can invite.

yeah I'm still waiting around ya fricken nerds!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wouldn't mind a reinvite to Itgo while we're on the topic

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

Oneday for Life posted:

Message me here or message Aeroplane, Peantoo, elementc, Wuchou, or wossname on KGS to get readded.

Make me (Hestler) owner, you know those bros aren't coming by no more.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Why the hell doesn't KGS make an html5 client? I mean, I know the answer to this question, but it is not at all satisfying to me.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what the heck is black doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnvAG7x39Y

only english youtube comment:

"What joint has Terayama smoked to play as high as this?"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
go on sci show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhec39dVGDE

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Well, my goal was to get to sdk by the end of the year and I'm already at a solid 10k on OGS. I need to do more reading and more exercises as I've felt the difficulty curve steepening. My biggest problem is that I'm David when fighting stronger players and Goliath when fighting weaker ones. I can often redeem myself with hard fighting (like in this game where I was dumb and let him build a big central moyo, but was able to exploit his fighting weaknesses to gain the lead), but this can't be a smart way to proceed.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm a ~11k player, and recently at a go meetup a bunch of the ~3k players were telling me that my biggest problem at the moment is that I don't know how to invade corners and I don't know how to respond to corner invasions, meaning I often give up the corner for little profit. I know the standard advice is "don't study the josekis", so what's the best way to improve in this area? Is there like a good youtube series or book about this?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Yo, add me back to the list of people in itgo. I'm sad and lonely out in the cold with the randoms....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a ~11k player, and recently at a go meetup a bunch of the ~3k players were telling me that my biggest problem at the moment is that I don't know how to invade corners and I don't know how to respond to corner invasions, meaning I often give up the corner for little profit. I know the standard advice is "don't study the josekis", so what's the best way to improve in this area? Is there like a good youtube series or book about this?

Highly recommend this book: https://shop.gogameguru.com/100-tips-for-amateur-players-2/