Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

Haha! The joke is that cap has PTSD! Hilarious!

Could be worse. He could have had a pacemaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

prefect posted:

The weird thing is that Cap was the in-universe penciller for the Captain America comic book for a while in the '80s. It was when he was dating Bernie Rosenthal.

Wasn't he also a commercial artist? I seem to remember having some issue as a kid where he teamed up with Captain Britain, and he got the call to action in the middle of penciling out some toothpaste ad with a superhero to fight plaque on it or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh, you know...Liberty Bonds....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Disturbingly Fletcher Hanks-ish.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

nerdman42 posted:

Supergirl #77

Its kind of dark, but I get a big kick out of Silver Age Kara constantly loving up in Post-Crisis Metropolis

And then Linda Danvers went to the Silver Age and got married to Superman. That run was a weird read.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God knows I'd instantly quit my job and never return to it if I was offered the chance to punch Hitler in the face.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Calaveron posted:

God knows I'd instantly quit my job and never return to it if I was offered the chance to punch Hitler in the face.

Not just the chance, your new job would be to punch Hitler in the face

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's all fun and games until your burning android friend makes you redundant.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

mind the walrus posted:

The male gaze is loving strong on that page beyond the Doctor dressed up like an extra on the movie "Clueless." Even if you discount all the barbie figures with skirts framed conspicuously in a crowd of bystanders, he makes sure to get a cleavage shot in a panel where Doctor Clueless is examining a dying woman, and you can't even see Clueless' eyes.

Ed Benes, folks.

It gets worse when there's a scene in the girls' locker room at Kara's high school. *sigh*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy gently caress that's Benes? That's not as drastic a downhill slope as Greg Land but jeez. I mean yeah it's piggish but there's still an off-brand Jim Lee appeal. His stuff on the 00s was barely above airbrush art on a van.

To contribute, here's the one time I can think of where Benes' terrible Barbie cheesecake was employed to good thematic use by the writer:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

To contribute, here's the one time I can think of where Benes' terrible Barbie cheesecake was employed to good thematic use by the writer:

Reminds me when the team had to go into Wolverine's brain.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

The male gaze is loving strong on that page beyond the Doctor dressed up like an extra on the movie "Clueless." Even if you discount all the barbie figures with skirts framed conspicuously in a crowd of bystanders, he makes sure to get a cleavage shot in a panel where Doctor Clueless is examining a dying woman, and you can't even see Clueless' eyes.

Yeaaaaah, as much as I love that arc, Benes' art makes it difficult to enjoy it

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 31, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whatever happened to Hawk and Dove anyway? Did they survive the Nu52?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Whatever happened to Hawk and Dove anyway? Did they survive the Nu52?

Yep, they even got an ongoing as one of the original New 52... which was rapidly canned, as you'd expect from a Hawk & Dove ongoing.

They were actually one of the worst case studies in the clusterfuck that was the initial N52 startup. See, much like Green Lantern, instead of rebooting they just decided gently caress it and started right up from their status at the end of Brightest Day, with Deadman hanging around because he and Dove had been in a relationship during that story, but this made no sense in a rebooted world! New 52 everybody!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 31, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Which is a goddamned shame because the Deadman/Dove story from BD was really fantastic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They are one of those couples that seem unintuitive at first but after consideration make total sense

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

mind the walrus posted:

They are one of those couples that seem unintuitive at first but after consideration make total sense

And it was sweet and adorable, and I was loving enraged when Deadman died again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well, his name is Deadman...

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress that's Benes? That's not as drastic a downhill slope as Greg Land but jeez. I mean yeah it's piggish but there's still an off-brand Jim Lee appeal. His stuff on the 00s was barely above airbrush art on a van.

White lettering withlight blue outline on a gradient light purple/white background. Where's that downs clap smiley?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Look it was 2004 or whatever and the colorist just figured out how to use "spray" in Microsoft Paint ok?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

East of West 29.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Batman's Shameful Secret> Post Funny Panels- The night is black and full of Billy

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Silver Surfer #6/#200

Say what you will about Slott's take on Spider-Man. He definitely gets his moments from time to time.
He later takes great pleasure out of punching out one that takes on the form of Mephisto

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 31, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dude with the name Radd tends to be quite a downer.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Chinston Wurchill posted:

East of West 29.

Game of Thrones reference is also apt a couple pages later.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Silver Surfer #6/#200

Say what you will about Slott's take on Spider-Man. He definitely gets his moments from time to time.
He later takes great pleasure out of punching out one that takes on the form of Mephisto

But doesn't know quite why.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
All-New Wolverine Annual #1: Spider-Gwen and Wolverine (Laura) have swapped minds in a story that is entirely funny and charming and free of rape.

They come face to face with the person responsible and...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #2

Cage is looking to make a costume for himself and the shop owner has a marvelous idea.

In the rest of the scene, Cage finds all the elements of his iconic costume from a failed escape artist if you've ever wondered about the tiara or the chain. You get the sense Romita designed the costume and then Archie Goodwin tried to figure out where in the hell that getup would come from. Cage says he can relate to the escape artist (since he busted out of jail in his origin).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Transformers vs GI Joe vol 3 is out. :allears:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

That 5th panel is exactly how I would feel upon learning that timey wimey bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If someone could get rid of the text balloon in the 6th panel and fill in the hair that would make a great macro.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Courtesy of the New York Times:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

prefect posted:

Courtesy of the New York Times:

Hey, if Obama can guest star in Spider-Man, then Trudeau can hang out with Alpha Flight all he wants.

Although I would murder to have a parody of the Obama/Spider-Man issue where Deadpool saves Trudeau.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

poo poo, they've figured out how to look up! Scatter!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is the other guy Prowler?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he is prowling pretty good there, so that checks out

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

prefect posted:

Is the other guy Prowler?

Yeah. When Peter is being Peter for his company and needs Spiderman for publicity it's Hobie Brown in a Spidey suit doing back flips and poo poo. Otherwise he's just loafing around getting a paycheck from Parker Industries.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I like that Peter has a real, actual friend he can count on. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If someone thinks that IS Spider-Man and attacks him, then what?

<<10/10 great Spidey costume, would attack with Spider-Slayers