Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is so long that it is literally the inverse of correct.

much like my dilznick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

up against the wall

they call it the minimum wage because it is intended to be the least amount anyone could possibly be paid

"we would pay you less, but we can't"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"eat the rich", I type furiously into my mobile phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

"eat the rich", I type furiously into my $700 smartphone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Management posted:

Lol at the jobs you can get without a mobile phone these days

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bhodi posted:

let me have a go at this http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/03/income-inequality-chart-wall-street-bonuses-minimum-wage

The sum of Wall Street bonuses is roughly twice the total amount paid to all full-time workers paid minimum wage in the USA.

this is about a million people if it's 40 hr weeks at $7.25

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

poor people have mobile phones now too btw

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is so long that it is literally the inverse of correct.

banks exist in order to arbitrage short-term loans (deposits) against long-term loans (mortgages and small-business loans). to some extent this historically required some sleight of hand to avoid spooking small-time depositors. (in this day and age, both mortgages and deposits are government-insured so that's not really a worry anymore)

repackaging loans and selling them onwards creates perverse incentives for the bank, especially on loans uninsured by the government. all they have to do is stamp their name on it, and hold the loan for literally a day, and they make money.

there's no short vs long arbitrage there. they just do some paperwork, promise the loan is good, and accept cash. it turns banks into used car salesmen

do you know of an alternative solution than the banks selling mortgages to fannie and freddie that would allow non-rich people to afford a house? note that any such solution must also make banks richer or it will never be implemented

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

poor people have mobile phones now too btw

don't bother, idiots don't understand that consumer products have plummeted in price relative to things like food and shelter

"b-b-b-but did you know htat 'poor' people have REFRIGERATORIUMS!?!"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that's very disappointing. I was planning on using them if I was ever able to buy a house

penfed has a good deal if you use their housebuying service/realtor you get a discount on the mortgage rate and closing costs.

FMguru posted:

Brogan BamBrogan

lol every time

qrates.com
Vinylize Your Music
Analog On Demand, Vinyl as a Service

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol @ white people building a connected world that requires network access to be a real human, and then attacking poors for purchasing terminals to that network

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

that's a legit issue that kills children every year btw

kid falls asleep in the back seat, something fucks up your morning routine, kid makes like a tcc superstar

but everybody will scream and shout that it would never happen to them because they aren't poo poo parents lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look at all these privileged pieces of poo poo with their cars, driving around --robert moses

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

do you know of an alternative solution than the banks selling mortgages to fannie and freddie that would allow non-rich people to afford a house? note that any such solution must also make banks richer or it will never be implemented

dont spend the last 60 years focused on never-ending suburban sprawl of cheaply constructed overpriced shitboxes and instead build properly constructed apartments centered around urban cores with access to public transportation so the cost of maintaining a car can be removed for a large portion of the population

then only the rich affording houses is ok

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

that's a legit issue that kills children every year btw

kid falls asleep in the back seat, something fucks up your morning routine, kid makes like a tcc superstar

but everybody will scream and shout that it would never happen to them because they aren't poo poo parents lol

3-5 babies meet their end every summer in the walmart home office parking lot

turns out when you are trapped in a dead end poo poo white collar job you literally check out mentally

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

dont spend the last 60 years focused on never-ending suburban sprawl of cheaply constructed overpriced shitboxes and instead build properly constructed apartments centered around urban cores with access to public transportation so the cost of maintaining a car can be removed for a large portion of the population

sure, and i'd like a pony too while you're at it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

lol @ white people building a connected world that requires network access to be a real human, and then attacking poors for purchasing terminals to that network

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Jonny 290 posted:

3-5 babies meet their end every summer in the walmart home office parking lot

turns out when you are trapped in a dead end poo poo white collar job you literally check out mentally

really, killing them is a kindness. why do you want to revoke that kindness?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tesla couldn't reliably get the model x gullwing doors to close properly so they just disabled the safety sensors that prevent fingers getting chopped off instead.
http://jalopnik.com/did-tesla-quietly-remove-a-safety-feature-from-the-mode-1786000681

quote:

I was told they were deemed no longer necessary. They were turned off in v 7.1 2.32.100. I took it to mean that they couldn’t get the buggy inductive sensor to work properly, and since everyone was having issues with them removed them and didn’t tell anyone until I asked because I noticed the behavior had changed. You can see how they work in my previous videos. I don’t think there is any other video online that shows how the inductive sensors work. ...

Everyone’s had issues with phantom object detection which is caused by these inductive sensors. Take from this what you will, but it looks like they figured out a way to just remove them and use the motors in the hinges to detect. How it pinches, before with the inductive it stops on contact.

they used to have sensors that would stop the door if it detected an object like a finger. those sensors hosed up so they disabled them via firmware and instead are relying on force from a pinched object to stop the doors (but leave a kid's finger crushed but maybe not totally chopped off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-nfSCfE2k

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 1, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FCKGW posted:

tesla couldn't reliably get the model x gullwing doors to close properly so they just disabled the safety sensors and prevent fingers getting chopped off instead.
http://jalopnik.com/did-tesla-quietly-remove-a-safety-feature-from-the-mode-1786000681

they used to have sensors that would stop the door if it detected an object like a finger. those sensors hosed up so they disabled them via firmware and instead are relying on force from a pinched object to stop the doors (but leave a kid's finger crushed but maybe not totally chopped off).

lol

i cant wait for the NHTSA mandates a recall of every tesla ever built

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

oh no what if only the rich could afford to buy houses

said the millennial in 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

lol

i cant wait for the NHTSA mandates a recall of every tesla ever built

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

just a couple of weeks ago someone on my facebook posted a picture she'd taken of a homeless guy sitting in starbucks with an android tablet, comment something like "only in san francisco would you see this!!!! can't get a job but somehow has money for an ipad?? i hope my tax dollars didn't pay for this!"

i defriended her

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i was homeless the very first $40 a month i got would be for my cricket bill. if you disagree, go without a phone for a week and lmk how you fared

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if i was homeless the very first $40 a month i got would be for my cricket bill. if you disagree, go without a phone for a week and lmk how you fared

id spend it on booze

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'd be selling my holes in the library for more heroin

i mean assuming i'm homeless in the first place due to Ultimate Pleasure Drug

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

id spend it on booze

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah before i defriended her i posted a link to this paper

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1979190

abstract: every homeless person has a mobile phone because of course they do, it's only like the single most valuable piece of technology a person with no fixed address can own, so they need them way more than someone with a stable life does

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

yeah before i defriended her i posted a link to this paper

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1979190

abstract: every homeless person has a mobile phone because of course they do, it's only like the single most valuable piece of technology a person with no fixed address can own, so they need them way more than someone with a stable life does

she didnt read it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know, but i tossed it out there just in case. someone might.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

duTrieux. posted:

don't bother, idiots don't understand that consumer products have plummeted in price relative to things like food and shelter

Really? Food is cheaper now than it has ever been, I thought.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

FCKGW posted:

tesla couldn't reliably get the model x gullwing doors to close properly so they just disabled the safety sensors that prevent fingers getting chopped off instead.

the last video in that article shows the front door, it doesn't seem to give a poo poo about anything and slams shut. the front motor isn't as powerful as the back, so it shouldn't be much worse than slamming the door on someones finger. not a good look though.

that back door though. i wouldn't want to put my fingers near the motor end. it would probably gently caress up a child's hand pretty badly. good thing that tesla can do nothing wrong, otherwise this would seem like a pretty bad thing.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

silence_kit posted:

Really? Food is cheaper now than it has ever been, I thought.

It's still a recurring cost that far outstrips a phone, a key way to get information and find jobs and then get cash. It also loses its value pretty quick if you don't have a fridge or pantry.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Tokamak posted:

the last video in that article shows the front door, it doesn't seem to give a poo poo about anything and slams shut. the front motor isn't as powerful as the back, so it shouldn't be much worse than slamming the door on someones finger. not a good look though.

that back door though. i wouldn't want to put my fingers near the motor end. it would probably gently caress up a child's hand pretty badly. good thing that tesla can do nothing wrong, otherwise this would seem like a pretty bad thing.

gull wing doors are in beta, users agreed to that.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the tesla model x is a suv that absolutely cannot be equipped with any kind of roof rack

e: thank you elong https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/650081625200545792

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 1, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's almost like the rear doors are an overcomplicated solution to a problem that didn't really exist in the first place but some whiz kids thought it looked cool so they risked the future of their whole company on it since apparently no actual grown ups work at tesla

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

REMEMBER THEY'RE FALCON DOORS

BECAUSE GULLS ARE LAME AND POOP ON THINGS BUT FALCONS ARE COOL

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

it's almost like the rear doors are an overcomplicated solution to a problem that didn't really exist in the first place but some whiz kids thought it looked cool so they risked the future of their whole company on it since apparently no actual grown ups work at tesla

iunno, looks to me like they know who they're selling it to

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My favorite are the "I didn't have x when I was a child, therefore nobody actually needs x"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FCKGW posted:

whats wrong with minivan style sliding doors?

i dont just mean on teslas, with all the different vehicles i drive, sliding doors are my favorite. is there some problem i've never run into that prevents them from being used on more cars?

a focus st style hatchback with front and rear sliding doors would be my dream car

• Locked thread