Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Nope, never look at anything from Rob Morrow.

Here's a palate cleanser. http://m.mlb.com/video/v1091416883/texcin-darvish-jacks-his-first-career-home-run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/768839386121183232

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nooo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis County GOP thinks that state law means that Morrow is out because he filed as a write in candidate. Morrow told them to suck his dick. I think the funniest outcome would be for the normies to strut around like this is a done deal only to have Morrow reinstated in a month.

https://twitter.com/corriemac/status/769175165213155329

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tried Oso Negro for the first time, it's okay I guess.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 27, 2016

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Bexar-County-District-Attorney-Nico-LaHood-9190563.php

quote:

“I’m Nico LaHood,” he said. “I’m the criminal district attorney in San Antonio, Texas. I’m here to tell you that vaccines can and do cause autism.”

Edit: Fixed link.

Atahualpa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 29, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:psyduck: Hell no.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Keep that stupid ant-vax poo poo out of Texas, bad enough it acceptable on the west coast. We don't need that crap here. :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Keep that stupid ant-vax poo poo out of Texas, bad enough it acceptable on the west coast. We don't need that crap here. :argh:

Bro Andrew Wakefield wrote his study in Austin.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas is a perfect breeding ground for this with all the 'gently caress the government', 'gently caress intellectuals' and 'its my baby aint nobody know better' poo poo going around

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Back Hack posted:

Oh, it's been around. The number of vaccination exemptions granted in the state has tripled over the last 5-6 years IIRC, and even before that it was going up pretty rapidly thanks to some 2003 legislation that expanded the list of reasons you can use to request an exemption. It's starting to become a major health concern because while the numbers for the state as a whole aren't that alarming yet, most of the increase is coming from a small number of central Texas counties, some of which are approaching the threshold where people who are medically unable to be vaccinated can no longer rely on herd immunity.

Atahualpa fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 29, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI_xIMtWaUY
He was the hero we needed, but not the one we deserved.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I hope you love signs and advertising billboards all over highways

quote:

An Austin appeals court has struck down significant portions of the Texas Highway Beautification Act – cheered as the linchpin of the state’s scenic roadway efforts – because the 42-year-old law restricts free speech.

The ruling came in a case regarding a 2011 sign erected to support Ron Paul’s 2012 presidential campaign. Auspro Enterprises placed the sign on its property along Texas 71.

In July 2012, Texas Department of Transportation officials told Auspro to take the sign down, saying it was illegal because it was outside the allowed time for a political sign. The beautification act allows political signs only 90 days before and 10 days after elections.

Citing other restrictions on signs and other court rulings, the appeals court struck down subchapters B and C of the beautification act, which are the centerpiece of the law. Essentially, the court ruled Texas’ law relies on exemptions that differ based on the content of the sign, which is unconstitutional.

Subchapters B and C are basically the entire law and the reason every mile of our highways aren't lined with advertising.

Hey maybe the Lege will fix the law... After an orgy of grandfathered signs get put up.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 30, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am so loving sick of free speech protecting advertising and corporate speech.

Ughhhhh
https://twitter.com/GovernorPerry/status/770616086718885888

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 30, 2016

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Subchapters B and C are basically the entire law and the reason every mile of our highways aren't lined with advertising.

Hey maybe the Lege will fix the law... After an orgy of grandfathered signs get put up.

Texas in a few years

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

that poor woman

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well as long as they keep the dances simple and under two steps, he should do fine.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shifty Pony posted:

Did they strike down the parts for "Don't mess with Texas" signs?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the deal here?

Houston ISD is looking to outright disobey Robin Hood and not send money? It is pretty appalling that HISD with it's 76% student poverty rate is now a property rich district that's going to have to give up about $160 million to robin hood, but throwing themselves on the state legislature's mercy seems like a terrible idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the deal here?

Houston ISD is looking to outright disobey Robin Hood and not send money? It is pretty appalling that HISD with it's 76% student poverty rate is now a property rich district that's going to have to give up about $160 million to robin hood, but throwing themselves on the state legislature's mercy seems like a terrible idea.

quote:

But Rome says the group is hopeful for reform during the 2017 legislative session. Resistance from property-wealthy schools has exploded, along with the number of districts — including very big ones — required to pay up under the Robin Hood plan.

The frustration is particularly rife in the state’s largest school district, Houston, which is making its first-ever “recapture” payment this year because the state now considers it too property-wealthy. The obligation — estimated at more than $160 million — drove a $95 million shortfall the district is closing by cutting funding to some campuses, along with administrative and tutoring positions and a controversial teacher bonus program.

Officials there are calling for a vigorous lobbying effort, as are those from other large and politically powerful school districts such as Austin, which has seen recapture payments skyrocket over the years amid rapid property value growth and declining student enrollment. The state’s sixth-largest district is expecting to send more than $400 million to the state this year.

Robin Hood has “far exceeded its life-hood as a law,” Houston school board trustee Greg Meyers said recently.
They hope Houston will have the clout to push a Robin Hood killing law.

I wouldn't expect anything to change in the school finance structure without the courts putting a gun to the lege's head though.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the deal here?

The real issue is that schools shouldn't be funded by property taxes in the first place but damned if it's going to change anytime soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Birthday Ann :)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

They hope Houston will have the clout to push a Robin Hood killing law.

I wouldn't expect anything to change in the school finance structure without the courts putting a gun to the lege's head though.

I read that story but, I just thought Houston was looking for some sort of waiver or revision that took them off the hook not an actual repeal of Robin Hood. If Robin Hood is actually repealed, doesn't that open up school finance to actually being held unconstitutional; wouldn't that just put us back to pre-Robin Hood financing which was without a doubt unconstitutional and held to be so?

Also, on the anti-vax stuff, I know a teacher in Austin and she told me that Austin ISD has the highest rate of students without vaccinations in the state. Is this true? I suppose it wouldn't really surprise me since liberals/progressives seem to be just as prone to buy into this bullshit.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

radical meme posted:

Also, on the anti-vax stuff, I know a teacher in Austin and she told me that Austin ISD has the highest rate of students without vaccinations in the state. Is this true? I suppose it wouldn't really surprise me since liberals/progressives seem to be just as prone to buy into this bullshit.
Basically yes:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/14/see-studnet-vaccine-exemptions-school/

Austin ISD is in the lead among the largest school districts, but the highest are the districts west of Austin like West Lake Hills and Lake Travis.

So not just liberals but rich liberals.

Edit:

Also interesting is that private schools have much higher rates. Austin Waldorf School (also in west Austin) has the highest exemption rate of any school in the state with an astounding 40 percent of students exempted. To send your kid from kindergarten through high school there would cost more than $60,000 just on tuition and fees.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 2, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wikkheiser posted:

Basically yes:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/14/see-studnet-vaccine-exemptions-school/

Austin ISD is in the lead among the largest school districts, but the highest are the districts west of Austin like West Lake Hills and Lake Travis.

So not just liberals but rich liberals.

Edit:

Also interesting is that private schools have much higher rates. Austin Waldorf School (also in west Austin) has the highest exemption rate of any school in the state with an astounding 40 percent of students exempted. To send your kid from kindergarten through high school there would cost more than $60,000 just on tuition and fees.

Lol if you think rich liberals live in Lake Travis ISD or to a lesser extent West Lake Hills.

Those areas are staunchly conservative.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh cool so it sounds like we're going to lose 10% of our federal highway funding now as a result, given it will no longer meet the standards required by the federal act.

Which might be enough to get the legislature to act, you'd think, except that this is Texas and there are plenty of assholes here who will reject those funds out of spite and because they're assholes generally who hate the country and its government.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you think rich liberals live in Lake Travis ISD or to a lesser extent West Lake Hills.

Those areas are staunchly conservative.

Just because 2/3 of the millionaires there vote GOP doesn't mean 1/3 of those mansions aren't filled with crystal-worshiping idiots

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Just because 2/3 of the millionaires there vote GOP doesn't mean 1/3 of those mansions aren't filled with crystal-worshiping idiots

But when every poll I've seen had anti-vax idiots about equal on the left and the right, I'm going to guess that the rich neighborhoods filled with religious nutjobs and/or anti-govt Uber-Suburbanites could get on the "govt can't tell me what to stick in my kid, that's a father's right!" train.

These idiots from 2013 are a good example http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217746942/texas-megachurch-at-center-of-measles-outbreak

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There was a study here that found anti-vaxx was negatively correlated with conservatism, but oddly, positively correlated with free market views: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0075637

Which is why so many libertarians are anti-vaxx. And conspiracy theorists in general are. But it might also be that your West Austin types are a different breed of wealthy than the rich Republicans in Highland Park. (Although Highland Park ISD is above average. It's just that those two ISDs in West Austin are way, way more anti-vaxx than everywhere else. More than double Highland Park. Those West Austin people are craaaazy.)

And of the major metros, Austin ISD leads by a solid margin.

Interesting... there's a Pentacostal school in Nacogdoches that has an extreme opt-out rate. Fearing the Mark of the Beast, I guess. Although the anti-vaxx is disproportionately represented by elite Austin private schools. But a lot of Christian schools on the list.

Rural public schools seem to have the lowest rates. Poorer, more conservative.

The liberal border has low opt-out rates too. Laredo ISD has an astoundingly low 0.05% rate.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 2, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
IMO it's the rich techie Californian people.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
LMFAO! I'm eating at a bar in South Lake. It's 7:00 p. m. Friday. The Baylor/NWestern game is on. A 30ish guy with his wife sit down beside me. He's watching the game. I say to him: so these are the players that haven't been indicted for rape or animal cruelty? Dead silence with an intense stare. I ask him: are you a Baylor alum? Answer: Yeah.

End of conversation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

radical meme posted:

LMFAO! I'm eating at a bar in South Lake. It's 7:00 p. m. Friday. The Baylor/NWestern game is on. A 30ish guy with his wife sit down beside me. He's watching the game. I say to him: so these are the players that haven't been indicted for rape or animal cruelty? Dead silence with an intense stare. I ask him: are you a Baylor alum? Answer: Yeah.

End of conversation.

Radical

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Some good poo poo in my inbox from the Observer today: https://www.texasobserver.org/signs-of-god-hawkins-jesus-sign/

quote:

In July 2014, Rogers pulled in front of the home of a woman named Candy Palmertree, blocking her driveway, and threatened to fine her $500 a day until she cleaned her yard and cut the grass, according to a Hawkins police officer’s affidavit filed later that month. Then Rogers pointed to a portable concession stand in Palmertree’s driveway and threatened another $500-a-day fine until she got rid of it. Rogers was arrested, photographed and booked in the Wood County Jail on a charge of official oppression. A grand jury declined to indict him, but from then on, he wasted little time on niceties.

“There’s been no governance,” he told City Council members in February 2015, “and people have done whatever they want in this city. And now that I’m mayor, I was elected to do a job and that’s what I’m going to do.” Weeks later, he told the council that city staff needed to start showing him more deference: “As the mayor, as the chief executive officer of the city, when I say something, it needs to happen,” he said. “I don’t mean three weeks later. I mean now.” And Rogers reminded council members that he was considering suing the city over his arrest the previous summer, warning that they might need to stow away an extra $10,000 for legal fees.

In May 2015, Rogers proposed a resolution that would let him join the city fire department. When Council member Wayne Kirkpatrick argued that the move would amount to a conflict of interest, the exchange turned mean.

“You’re a conflict of interest, Wayne,” Rogers huffed.

“Now why, when everybody’s talking about the business of the council, do you make those kind of statements to me?” Kirkpatrick asked wearily. “You’ve called me stupid, you say I’m a conflict of interest.”

After a brief back and forth, Rogers threw down: “Let’s get it goin’ on, Wayne!”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Some good poo poo in my inbox from the Observer today: https://www.texasobserver.org/signs-of-god-hawkins-jesus-sign/

What the Tea Party would like the country to look like.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Badger of Basra posted:

quote:

In May 2015, Rogers proposed a resolution that would let him join the city fire department. When Council member Wayne Kirkpatrick argued that the move would amount to a conflict of interest, the exchange turned mean.

“You’re a conflict of interest, Wayne,” Rogers huffed.

"Your face is a conflict of interest," replied Kirkpatrick.

drat! thought Rogers, unprepared for such a deft maneuver. At this point, he faced a tough decision: should he deploy the nuclear option and risk escalating the conflict, or let this blow to his pride go unanswered? But in the end, there was only one choice.

"Oh yeah? Well, your mom is a conflict of interest."

But Kirkpatrick was ready... all too ready. "Your mom's face is a conflict of interest," he countered.

Rogers gasped and bit his lip, holding back tears. He knew he had been beaten.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
If you're in Austin and want to get some laughs out of our insane political situation, some friends of mine are putting on a sketch show called Over the Lege. There are some legislator staffers involved so they are gonna be cutting pretty deep. Also, they're going to have various celebrity guests each week like Kirk Watson and Wendy Davis. Here's their promo video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_vSD5zhYw

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

We are having a mock constitutional convention. Loel is representing Texas's interests as were-write the Constitution!! :freep:

Drop by and give them a piece of your mind or let them know what matters most to you as a Texan!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just found out today (after finishing grad school and getting a job) that HEB has internships in my field. I am so mad I didn't know about this earlier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

I just found out today (after finishing grad school and getting a job) that HEB has internships in my field. I am so mad I didn't know about this earlier.

I applied to be a process improvement guy at one of their tortilla factories and I'm sad I never heard back from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm about to graduate with my MBA in Austin; my internship is data analytics for an investment firm but they want me to take a 100% commission sales job he;lp

operations at the HEB Tortilla Factory would be My poo poo, for instance