Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Missed my subtle Extinction shout-out by a lot, Macys.

They're explicitly not bugs, they're a unique species.:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Mister Macys posted:

I play Call of Duty, I'm used to constant bugs. BF's gameplay however, is typically solid. I want to know if that's changed.

I saw a .gif of a guy going to goomba stomp an enemy, only to fall right through the ground and into oblivion.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Mister Macys posted:

Yes, but I want to know the nature of its failure. Context is everything.

I spent my first game running for a good eight minutes before running into an enemy. Getting ganked from across the map and having to run all the way back kinda sucked the fun out of it. It was a bad first impression, but I can see why I never bothered with the series.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

teknetik posted:

I spent my first game running for a good eight minutes before running into an enemy. Getting ganked from across the map and having to run all the way back kinda sucked the fun out of it. It was a bad first impression, but I can see why I never bothered with the series.

Bloc.txt

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Anyone playing this piece of poo poo tonight?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

Currently making dinner but yeah in like 30 minutes.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People still play it and by people I mean the same dozen idiots that i can probably list off the top of my head:
-NSA
-Mosquito
-Revotel
-Aaron
-Master Jumper Javes
-Jumping Hater Madman
- Macys when he's taking breaks of watching his own replays
- achachachachachachachachacha
- Bees
- rKid
- Toast when he's not being dumb and playing Overwatch
- Broman
- Hackan

I think that's it?

k ty, i added most of these dudes that i could stalk effectively from macys friend's list :sterv:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

As soon as I make a gif showing how owned I got in that game we lost Sunday/Monday night.

I wasn't even killed by the guy I thought killed me. That's... disappointing.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 1, 2016

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Mosquito, flank, myself and worm are on atm

Edit: NSA and rkid joined

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Party is full so if 3 of you guys can leave so I can join that'd be great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Convince two of them to join you, then grab me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Macys posted:

Convince two of them to join you, then grab me.

Started playing Doom instead. This music owns.

But yeah I'll start a 2nd party.

EDIT: Why are you idiots playing Ground War.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 1, 2016

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
There's two parties now if anyone e else joins, one of four and one of five

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Blame the success of microtransactions within mobile games. Free-to-play games make their money off of "whales" who are a small minority of the player base, but spend loads on microtransactions. At CoD's scale, you'll have enough teenage whales to make record amounts of money for "in-game content."

I could tolerate microtransactions if maps were free like with Titanfall 2 or Overwatch, but this is Activision's lead franchise so that's never happening.

no blame tf2 because its tf2 that did it. tf2 ruined everything

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"B-b-b-but, TF2 was ONLY COSMETIC..." :qq:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Stumbled on this old video from Drift0r from the AW days. Oh how things have changed (19:30 in case the timestamp didn't work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmshXwk1vU&t=1170s

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Javes posted:

Stumbled on this old video from Drift0r from the AW days. Oh how things have changed (19:30 in case the timestamp didn't work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmshXwk1vU&t=1170s

He whines about Danger Close and trip mines. His opinions are invalid. loving whining baby.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 1, 2016

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
To be fair, this was coming off Ghosts' OP IEDs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If he's going to whine about items in the game, he can gently caress off and find something else to play. loving deal. How did he ever get through MW2 without killing himself, if he's going to be this way.

Embrace the madness.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mister Macys posted:

If he's going to whine about items in the game, he can gently caress off and find something else to play. loving deal. How did he ever get through MW2 without killing himself, if he's going to be this way.

Embrace the madness.

"""Competitive scenes""" and """"Actual Balance""" are supposed to sell, no?

Side note, Dead Silence is a must for electric dildo shenanigans I feel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The former? No. The latter? Yes... theoretically; it's generally impossible to tell what balance, if any, has been achieved.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

A quick thought on balance has me say "just give every gun the same TTK, gently caress handling". Want variations? High fire rate has low damage, low fire rate has high damage, and just give every gun vert recoil.

Basically just revert to MW2 standards since that seems to be THE gold standard for "Call of Duty Multiplayer Balancing".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think that video was before they nerfed the AW trip mines. But there's a hard counter to them in Flak Jacket. As long as you pay attention, they're no more than an annoyance. And as was mentioned, this is right after the Ghost IEDs which were just godawful to deal with until people figured out you could jump to reduce the damage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

widespread posted:

A quick thought on balance has me say "just give every gun the same TTK, gently caress handling". Want variations? High fire rate has low damage, low fire rate has high damage, and just give every gun vert recoil.

Basically just revert to MW2 standards since that seems to be THE gold standard for "Call of Duty Multiplayer Balancing".

You can also have the TTK vary depending on which range is meant to be the weapon's strength. A LMG having faster TTK at long range, compared to say, an SMG.

Recoil can also be a factor, but now that even consoles are getting in on the mouse and keyboard, that's been hosed up quite a bit.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 1, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

You can also have the TTK vary depending on which range is meant to be the weapon's strength. A LMG having faster TTK at long range, compared to say, an SMG.

Recoil can also be a factor, but now that even consoles are getting in on the mouse and keyboard, that's been hosed up quite a bit.

Problem is, the average map size doesn't really have anything long range enough to get an LMG to outperfom an SMG. And of course other problems with the SMG but still.

Vicissitude posted:

I think that video was before they nerfed the AW trip mines. But there's a hard counter to them in Flak Jacket. As long as you pay attention, they're no more than an annoyance. And as was mentioned, this is right after the Ghost IEDs which were just godawful to deal with until people figured out you could jump to reduce the damage.

Fun fact: wall-planted trip mines are easily avoided if you hug the wall. I THINK floor mines are also countered if you prone under the explosion range? Not sure, I just remember hearing that Trip Mines are easily countered by some stupid maneuver.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

widespread posted:

Problem is, the average map size doesn't really have anything long range enough to get an LMG to outperfom an SMG. And of course other problems with the SMG but still.

The whole point of damage dropoff is the dev's solution to that problem. It hasn't been done right since Black Ops 1 perfected it, but what're ya gonna do.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

The whole point of damage dropoff is the dev's solution to that problem. It hasn't been done right since Black Ops 1 perfected it, but what're ya gonna do.

It's probably time to put ol' idTech3 out to pasture. I mean, if it lags from a voice chat (not sure on this, but some guy recorded footy of lag when chatting), why the gently caress aren't you making a new engine or at least switch to idTech6.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

widespread posted:

It's probably time to put ol' idTech3 out to pasture. I mean, if it lags from a voice chat (not sure on this, but some guy recorded footy of lag when chatting), why the gently caress aren't you making a new engine or at least switch to idTech6.

iD isn't even licensing idtech 5 to anyone but internal devs at Bethesda/Zenimax, so don't hold your breath for Activision getting a deal to use the DooM '16 engine.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

widespread posted:

Fun fact: wall-planted trip mines are easily avoided if you hug the wall. I THINK floor mines are also countered if you prone under the explosion range? Not sure, I just remember hearing that Trip Mines are easily countered by some stupid maneuver.

You can just crouch

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Like Source, the COD engine is so radically different from the Quake 3 (2 in Source's case) at this point there's very little (if any) elements of it left in the code.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drav posted:

You can just crouch
And that's why you stick them to the ceiling :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mill Village posted:

Like Source, the COD engine is so radically different from the Quake 3 (2 in Source's case) at this point there's very little (if any) elements of it left in the code.

How do you know this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

How do you know this

Games that trace their history back to the Quake and Source engines have this history referenced every time someone has a bad experience, in their respective game threads.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Source came from the first Quake engine, lol. Imgur doesn't like this file format, so you gotta click the link.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Quake_-_family_tree.svg

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I was more asking how you know the state of the source code to such a level of detail that you know what elements of the original codebase are still present.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Datamining + Ctrl-F

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Is psn down for everyone right now?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Says it's currently undergoing maintenance.

Javes
May 6, 2012

Game looks very similar to BO3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKvWYhM3G8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8RR6-zVHmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8gT1Q4Zjg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
GET THIS loving ROAD TO CHAMPS THERMOMETER OFF MY AAR :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

• Locked thread