Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

What the gently caress?

Steampunk as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

It was good to catch up with Pauline today. We have a chequered history, but our country is best served by parliamentarians working constructively with each other over the next three years.

One of these two are going to unhinge their jaw and swallow the other whole.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

It was good to catch up with Pauline today. We have a chequered history, but our country is best served by parliamentarians working constructively with each other over the next three years.
Phew! Lucky you put a start finish date on that commitment NTATA you loving horrible muppet.

Human Rights, in Australia? :laffo:

:ssh: We used to lead the world thirty years ago. Now we have governments who eagerly strip common law rights. Put a fork in us. We're done.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Abbott has the worst posture. And his casual hand in the pocket makes him look like a sexual predator playing with his junk.

Cartoon posted:

:ssh: We used to lead the world thirty years ago.

A damning condemnation of the world if there ever was one.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Abbott has the worst posture. And his casual hand in the pocket makes him look like a sexual predator playing with his junk.

Only just noticed that why the gently caress has he got a hand in his pocket is he retarded.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Starshark posted:

Only just noticed that why the gently caress has he got a hand in his pocket is he retarded.

Look into your heart, you know the answer.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Trump: Abbott should release his medical records. He is a mess.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Is that a Nike branded wedding band?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

He's internalised it.

Exactly, if he couldn't be arsed as AHRC he's not going to act any differently now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Friendship ended with Malcolm, Now Tony is my best friend.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

The comments section is like:

Its just like Reagan and Thatcher!

In that the world will be better off for their deaths?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/771190145819095040

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
She's not wrong.

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!
Lambie laying down sick burns to Bernadi eh.. Hate to admit it but I dislike Lambie less and less as time goes on. But that's probably less a reflection of her and more because she seems relatively harmless compared to One Nation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Who would have picked Lambie for straight talking not most batshit crazy Senator? She's getting confident and settled, a bad sign for the majors this term and likely beyond. No wonder Abbott is crawling to Hanson.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's not hard to savagely burn Corey but that's a drat fine one from Jacqui.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DNQ posted:

Lambie laying down sick burns to Bernadi eh.. Hate to admit it but I dislike Lambie less and less as time goes on. But that's probably less a reflection of her and more because she seems relatively harmless compared to One Nation.

She's that ineffectual but constant gag-antagonist in that teams up with the good guys whenever a greater foe appears.

She probably wouldn't like or understand me comparing her to Team Rocket or early-00s Dr. Eggman, but I'm rolling with it and mean it in a totally positive way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The worst so far from her was 'What are you doing to protect us from ebola infected terrorists?' at a defence force briefing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKRKpfkFj98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJcZguJ9-7U

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

The worst so far from her was 'What are you doing to protect us from ebola infected terrorists?' at a defence force briefing

Idris Ebola

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

She thinks Muslims are bringing over creeping sharia law despite not knowing what sharia law actually is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

She thinks Muslims are bringing over creeping sharia law despite not knowing what sharia law actually is.

Whatever it is, it's against the constitution.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hope Hinch keeps his weekly diary going

quote:

Beware Sleepergate.

If this radical “Inside (really inside) the Senate” weekly epistle is going to be the real deal, then I must face the most — shock! horror! — incident in one of the truly biggest moments in my life this week.

As I said on the Justice Party Facebook page:

“I tweeted from inside the Senate (note to self: Find out if that’s legal): ‘It’s official. Now sworn in as Senator for Victoria in 45th Parliament. Now it begins.'”

It was an emotional moment. Walking alone down that glass-lined corridor on my way in, I felt the awe and responsibility of it all. As I went to sign the ancient senators’ book — the book, not the senators (apart from me) — I did get moist eyes when I looked up at the visitors’ gallery at my loyal crew (who started as volunteers for our fledgling Justice Party) and gave them a thumbs up.

It was a huge day. Started with Welcome to Country in the Great Hall, where Bill Shorten (who still thinks he won) spoke longer than the Prime Minister. Is that protocol cool?

I actually wore a suit and tie. The President of the Senate, Stephen Parry, had briefed us about appropriate attire and said it wasn’t compulsory, so I wore one of my own free will. Perverse, huh?

At that Do’s and Don’ts briefing from the Prez, all the newbies sat in the imposing Senate chamber for the first time. I happened to sit in Arthur Sinodinos’ seat. I must admit I opened his drawer. There was no cash in it.

At that dummy run, I realised that I couldn’t clearly see the Prez. And then I chipped a tooth.

So, back in Melbourne on the Saturday, I saw my loyal cosmetic dentist, Yvonne King, for an emergency veneer. Then my “senatorial sartorialist”, Kelly Casey, who cuts my hair and touches up my beard. And then my optometrist, Helen Robbins, for some tri-focals so I can see if Stephen Parry is frowning.

On Opening Day, I had green tea with the PM and got a hug from Julie Bishop and a pic with the Governor-General. Malcolm Turnbull has a stunning John Olsen on his wall. From his own collection — not from the National Gallery, Aladdin’s Cave, which senators get to borrow from.

I explained that Jacki Weaver and I owned an Olsen from the Lake Eyre collection but the bank thought they needed it more than we did. Like my Mt Macedon farm and vineyard. And a couple of properties in Hawaii.

That will make the pecuniary interests register pretty straightforward.

Cory Bernardi tracked me down in the Senate dining room, where I was lunching with my staff, to get my signature on a bill to remove “offend” and “insult” from 18C. That’s my fall-back position, but at least it will get it debated. Issue one.

(Fact check: the bottled water in the Senate dining room is halal-certified. Wonder if the Hanson knows? Will she dine there now? Question: how many waterfall throats do they cut and bleed out to get halal water?)

Issue two: I attacked Senate censorship and pounded out an iPad media release announcing my decision to support the press gallery and get the Senate to greenlight more media freedom and oppose archaic restrictions — which don’t apply in the lower house — on still photographers.

As I said:

“People have a right to see exactly what is happening on both sides of the Parliament. The media — and thus the public — should be able to see us in action, or photograph our inaction. If you get caught nibbling your ear wax, or counting your money or dozing: tough. We are here to represent the public, and we are paid a lot of money to do it. It is absurd that the media can’t effectively show the public exactly what we are up to.”

“This is not about publicity for me. It’s not about more exposure for my bearded mug — this is about the public being entitled to see the people who represent them representing them, even when we’re stuffing it up.”

And then came the gotcha moment. Sleepergate. Hinch caught with eyes closed during the GG’s speech.

I could claim sleep apnoea, from which I suffer. I’ve overnighted at the Epworth sleep clinic. Tried a CPAP machine. But bugger it … no excuses. I dozed off.

Other people did too as we listened to a re-hash of a long, boring speech spoken by a bloke in an ill-fitting suit that looked like a Nikita Khrushchev cast-off. Using other people’s words while he talked about “my government”. We’d heard it all in the marathon election campaign,

Bob Katter later told me that Wayne Swan had elbowed him three times and, on the other side, George Brandis and Christopher Pyne looked suspiciously somnolent.

Using the old Hinch program motto — if you are being run out of town, pretend it’s a parade and you’re leading it — I can see a silver lining.

It also focused attention on the fact that on any other day (because of an Opening Day exemption) the media could not have published that photo. And that is ludicrous censorship.

After the pic went so public I still introduced a motion to end that censorship.

Not bad after the old man of the seat had been the target of a nanna nap pap.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Whats with the semi weekly Albo fluff pieces?

LEADERSHIP AMBITIONS?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
SHY says she's going to cross the floor to support the plebiscite

loving lol she's done

it's clear to her her ambitions to be the Greens leader, and ambitious tosser she is, are up in smoke and now she's going to burn SA Greens to the ground in her wake

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

loving lol she's done

it's clear to her her ambitions to be the Greens leader, and ambitious tosser she is, are up in smoke and now she's going to burn SA Greens to the ground in her wake

Self interested idiot continues to the be self interested, idiot.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Self interested idiot continues to the be self interested, idiot.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/09/01/hanson-young-may-support-plebiscite

source to show what im talking about

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

By analysing the policies and actions of each of the 20 countries, which together produce 75% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, Climate Transparency produced a report, scorecard and series of country profiles detailing their findings, revealing Australia was not pulling its weight.

On the scorecard, Australia was the only country to receive a rating of “very poor” in a majority of categories.

Australia was given the worst possible rating of “very poor” for its performance on emissions trends, carbon intensity, share of renewables in its energy supply and overall climate policy.

It was rated as “poor” in every other category: for its energy intensity, share of coal in energy supply and electricity emissions intensity."

Guess that direct action policy was a real win:suicide:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Whats with the semi weekly Albo fluff pieces?

LEADERSHIP AMBITIONS?

He has a book out.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Labor are winning votes in the reps. :lol:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

loving lol she's done

get hosed shitlord

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ScreamingLlama
Dec 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
First time majority government has lost a vote on the floor of the house since 1962

APH posted:

The House of Representatives Practice, states, on p. 318:

“It has been claimed that the loss of control of the business of the House is a matter over which Governments should resign ... During 1962 and 1963, when the Menzies Government had a floor majority of one, it suffered a number of defeats and, although it did not resign, its precarious majority was a factor which led to the early dissolution of the House.“

The votes lost by the Government in 1962 were:
• A closure motion on 21 August 1962 (Votes and Proceedings, p. 194)
• A closure motion on 3 October 1962 (Votes and Proceedings, p. 217)
• Opposition’s dissent from Chairman’s ruling on 27 November 1962 (Votes and Proceedings, p. 307-8)
• An Opposition amendment to the Repatriation (Special Overseas
Service) Bill 1962 on 5 December 1962 (Votes and Proceedings, p. 348-9)

In addition, five votes were lost by the newly-commissioned caretaker government on 11 November 1975. These were motions to adjourn, to suspend standing orders, to close the debate (twice) and a want of confidence motion moved by former Prime Minister Whitlam.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Labor are winning votes in the reps. :lol:

Potato Duttton was one of the missing votes lolz.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Until the vote number changes, the Government can't force adjournment and the Opposition can't win a positive vote because of the way the Speaker's casting vote works.

If they play it right the house will be deadlocked through prime time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/771258738686603264

This is just loving gold. Potato has been bad, several others missing in action.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
This is Christopher Pyne's fault because he gave post-adjournment leave to his WA and QLD MPs without guaranteeing they'd win the adjournment motion.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

annatar posted:

This is Christopher Pyne's fault because he gave post-adjournment leave to his WA and QLD MPs without guaranteeing they'd win the adjournment motion.

This could also be payback from yesterday, where apparently the government didn't honour pairing arrangements when voting on the royal commission into the banking sector.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I seem to have missed a comment...what's happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...901-gr6a1f.html

Help

Im agreeing with stephen conroy

AND CORY BERNANDI

• Locked thread