Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ali Aces posted:

oh my god I am so loving sick of attempting Cost of Magic

edit: loving done
I got the unseen achievements for that not long back and now it has no power over me. :smugdog:

Sabotage missions are a load of old wank though, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah instant death and gear damage are things that shouldn't go together. It forces you to do them naked and when you do get in the occasional fight you're gonna lose or just eat a lot of repair costs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

Yeah instant death and gear damage are things that shouldn't go together. It forces you to do them naked and when you do get in the occasional fight you're gonna lose or just eat a lot of repair costs.
Sometimes when you die, your gear takes no damage and I think it's supposed to be preventing this sort of situation but Funcom being Funcom it actually just sort of happens at random. :v:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Ali Aces posted:

oh my god I am so loving sick of attempting Cost of Magic

edit: loving done

Congrats, you've won! You are now done with this game for 2-3 months.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it bad that it warms my heart to see a new batch of players slowly become bitter about how Funcom handled things?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Naah, I dont see anything wrong with that. I personally think that this game had one of the better levelling experiences and stories of any MMO I've played, so i'd still recommend it to guys who havent tried it out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
If I ever make a game with a hilariously frustrating mission, I'm going to find an excuse to call it Cost of Magic.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Cheston posted:

If I ever make a game with a hilariously frustrating mission, I'm going to find an excuse to call it Cost of Magic.

What you should do is make it a stealth mission, except the first time you're caught you are instantly killed, the screen fades, then it says "lol jk" and fades back in and just lets you loving kill everything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently the Funcom forums got hacked and all the information for logins was stolen. Supposedly that doesn't mess with game stuff though.

:thatfuncomemote:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

Apparently the Funcom forums got hacked and all the information for logins was stolen. Supposedly that doesn't mess with game stuff though.

aaaw. My game password was unique, but I don't remember my forums password and that was shared with... something. I don't remember which thing but there's at least one.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Cheston posted:

aaaw. My game password was unique, but I don't remember my forums password and that was shared with... something. I don't remember which thing but there's at least one.

Well how do we know it's really you posting right now?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Len posted:

Epic got hit not too long ago either. vBulletin is a piece of poo poo.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So this week is Golden Week. Fight the Golden Golem to get a token.

You need 80 tokens for a Jinn pet, 40 for a golden golem pet, etc.

Except they screwed up and accidentally put the golem on a 2h cooldown. Meaning that, assuming you don't have any tokens from a previous event, it is currently impossible to obtain the highest-cost item unless you literally do not sleep.

They have already said it was a mistake, but they won't fix it until next time.

Funcompetence!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 1, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They keep loving up in almost the same ways and it's always "we can't fix it till next time", hilarious. Except four years ago it was kind of funny, now it's just embarrassing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm really glad I broke my TSW habit. I keep reinstalling and attempting to get back in and finish Tokyo but without the old mumble crew to suffer with it just isn't the same.

Guys come back and suffer through Tokyo with me :negative:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm about to start playing through this with a friend since Bundle Stars has it for :10bux: at the moment. But I've owned this game for a while now, how the gently caress do I check if I have any of the DLC?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It might say on your account page but it's easier to just open the in game store and any one you can get for zero fun bucks you already own.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
There's a row of icons on the account page to show what you own, yeah.

I should log in and spend those bonus points on some tat I don't need.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've just started playing and I was really enjoying myself. And then this stealth mission started. Lemme solve puzzles and shoot baddies, not try and hide from cameras. >:[

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bogart posted:

I've just started playing and I was really enjoying myself. And then this stealth mission started. Lemme solve puzzles and shoot baddies, not try and hide from cameras. >:[

At least in outdoors sabotage missions you can (and should) abuse death mechanics. If you get spotted run to your objective and strategically position your corpse so you can ressurect right next to it. Instanced sabotage missions just suck and there is nothing to do other than watch walkthroughs to make it easier.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welcome to The Castle :getin:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bogart posted:

Later on the stealth missions get super atmospheric and are puzzles in and of themselves. The basic stealth missions are kinda lame, but they made the later ones cool.

Quite a few of them are not good, but honestly you can probably skip most of the bad ones. Missions are all color coded so you know exactly what you're getting into when you start a quest.

orcane posted:

Welcome to The Castle :getin:

There is no :getin: big enough for The Castle. Also Cost of Magic.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thanks all. Just made it to the Savage Coast. Can't believe they just gave Frank West some sunglasses and said 'he's an original character!'

What's the best way to get better gear? I think I'm level 5 SP on both rifles and swords, but I'm still using pretty crappy ones and my damage feels like it's not quite cutting it against demons. Running dungeons?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Thanks all. Just made it to the Savage Coast. Can't believe they just gave Frank West some sunglasses and said 'he's an original character!'

What's the best way to get better gear? I think I'm level 5 SP on both rifles and swords, but I'm still using pretty crappy ones and my damage feels like it's not quite cutting it against demons. Running dungeons?

People used to spend the mission tokens from the first region on QL6 weapons in the native trailer park in Blue Mountains, but that's less relevant now because mission tokens got rolled into bullions and you can spend those on custom purples later on.

Running dungeons gives you blue stuff and you should be running the dungeons anyway because that's the best part of TSW next to investigation missions. General drops/mission rewards are tied to what zone they're in, you'll mostly get QL3-4 gear in Savage Coast IIRC. You can also craft gear which has the advantage of letting you pick what stats you want, but since you probably need to visit the auction house for the mats or kits anyway, may as well check if someone isn't selling the item you want to make for a handful of money to begin with.

But really I'd try the dungeon route and possibly visit the AH to craft/buy a weapon if you keep getting unlucky. Just use what talismans you get from missions and drops, don't worry about them too much.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

i've recently got into this game and so far i am enjoying it .. It is so much different from any other mmo i've played

i mean i was a complete idiot.. I got to the Temple of the sun god area before i realized that i could tp to anima wells...

i solo with a leech sword / chaos .. I'm not sure what other builds to try out..

i've gone for a fist / blood melee dps for dungeons or an AR/blood..

now i understand just saying the two weapons doesn't mean shyte but i don't know how to link builds

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Zyntherius posted:

i've recently got into this game and so far i am enjoying it .. It is so much different from any other mmo i've played

i mean i was a complete idiot.. I got to the Temple of the sun god area before i realized that i could tp to anima wells...

i solo with a leech sword / chaos .. I'm not sure what other builds to try out..

i've gone for a fist / blood melee dps for dungeons or an AR/blood..

now i understand just saying the two weapons doesn't mean shyte but i don't know how to link builds

You've picked it up at about the right time of the year to do so. Holiday times in TSW are the best of any MMO I've played. They usually have really good themed missions that are fun to play. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to my annual holiday time donation to the poor (Funcom) and start playing again.

As far as builds, I can't help much other than saying it sounds like you have the right solo build. Sword/Chaos leech was pretty much "run this game on easy mode" if I remember correctly. It's just a matter of making sure you have a good mix of damage, health, and healing gear. I usually tried to have 3000 health, with a 60/40 split in damage and healing gear stats after that. Just keep an eye on whether you are over-tanking or not and adjust from there. More damage means you kill stuff quicker and get through boring missions sooner.

When I was running dungeons years ago, the AR/Shotgun build was pretty strong. I don't know if it's still any good though. Searching for build info is kind of difficult because you always end up with answers from like 6 months after the release that can confuse the heck out of you since that's all been changed. I think the answer here is to check the official forums for up to date info on what people are suggesting on builds.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 19, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TracerM17 posted:

You've picked it up at about the right time of the year to do so. Holiday times in TSW are the best of any MMO I've played. They usually have really good themed missions that are fun to play. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to my annual holiday time donation to the poor (Funcom) and start playing again.

As far as builds, I can't help much other than saying it sounds like you have the right solo build. Sword/Chaos leech was pretty much "run this game on easy mode" if I remember correctly. It's just a matter of making sure you have a good mix of damage, health, and healing gear. I usually tried to have 3000 health, with a 60/40 split in damage and healing gear stats after that. Just keep an eye on whether you are over-tanking or not and adjust from there. More damage means you kill stuff quicker and get through boring missions sooner.

When I was running dungeons years ago, the AR/Shotgun build was pretty strong. I don't know if it's still any good though. Searching for build info is kind of difficult because you always end up with answers from like 6 months after the release that can confuse the heck out of you since that's all been changed. I think the answer here is to check the official forums for up to date info on what people are suggesting on builds.

Counterpoint: The super lovely End of Days event was brought back only with a slightly different name so you had to redo it to get the achievements and whatever those unlocked.

Edit: And it kept the exact same bugs it had in 2012.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So I can just hang out in a warded area and have those spawn in endlessly only to loot everything every hour or so?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morglon posted:

So I can just hang out in a warded area and have those spawn in endlessly only to loot everything every hour or so?

Pretty sure. I know last time I tried it you still had to /petition to get the harbinger cheevos.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just sort of getting back into this.
For me Transylvania feels like more of a slog than the other two regions so far.
And I'm only part way through the first area, slaying vampires and stuff.
I'm still running my AR/Blade leech build, so not sure if that might be part of it, but it sort of trivialises most of the content for this region right now.
The voice acting is still pretty drat good though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
What I did early on with AR was run just AR since it's self contained and wasn't building for the second weapon anyway. Mixing it with blade is certainly and odd choice and getting consistent opinions on leech healing will just never happen. Without actually knowing your gear and build all I can say is maybe get better stuff? Maybe ditch blade for something else ranged, Ele does a ton of damage.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I'm using:

Anima Shot,
Fire in the Hole,
Blade Torrent
Clearing the Path
Stunning Swirl
Martial Discipline
Point of Harmony

Immortal Spirit
Eagle Eye
Experience
Tipped Scales
Anima Boost
Unfair Advantage
Regeneration

All of that looked like it synergised(not a word?) reasonably well, as I could attract attention and leech heal with the AR, while backing away and circling, and throwing bombs at things, and my blade abilities would give me a few extra seconds of peace to hit things with, thanks to the stun and some extra damage before I stick with the AR. The extra heals are my "oh poo poo" buttons for when I stumble into something I can't handle.
The blade is more for when I get into the middle of a large group, and single target murder isn't cutting it and I need to AoE some stuff quickly.

Gear wise, I've gt some QL 7-8 greens, but it's mostly QL10 greens and blues, with a Woodcutter's Sorrow to really boost all my healing stuff (including my leeching I guess maybe? I don't have a clue tbh).

So lots of attack rating gear, weapon power, penetration, with the occasional bit of health or whatever, and then that one necklace just to give my healing a bit of a bump.

It basically allows me to just straight up waltz through the majority of content, in probably the most boring way possible (circle strafe, rinse, repeat, leech heal kills all). Except for, like, dungeons, and those sudden difficulty spikes of course.
I've got my entire inner wheel, and I'm working on finishing my blade outer wheel before maybe working on either my pistol or AR outer wheel, eventually followed by shotguns.

It's probably the dumbest path ever to cut through things, but it makes most of this levelling content relatively painless, in some ways, as I can blunder into a fight and feel like I'm probably in control.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

i mean i am highly curious about the halloween event..

because i've gone into this game with the single knowledge.. It carry's Lovecraftian lore.. So i had an open mind..

Then came the polaris dungeon and i was like a god drat nerd climaxing over the fact a mini cthulu was attacking me as the last boss. The build i have is i think it's an old build.. I still don't know much about builds so i just follow tswdb.com

Actives:
Run Rampant
Blade Torrent
Consequences
Clearing the Path
Domino Effect
Helter Skelter
Hurly-Burly (aux)

Passives
Leeching frenzy
Iron Maiden
immortal Spirit
Breakdown
Bloodsport
Sudden Return
Gross Anatomy
Revved up

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

mcjomar posted:

Okay so I'm using:

Anima Shot,
Fire in the Hole,
Blade Torrent
Clearing the Path
Stunning Swirl
Martial Discipline
Point of Harmony

Immortal Spirit
Eagle Eye
Experience
Tipped Scales
Anima Boost
Unfair Advantage
Regeneration

All of that looked like it synergised(not a word?) reasonably well, as I could attract attention and leech heal with the AR, while backing away and circling, and throwing bombs at things, and my blade abilities would give me a few extra seconds of peace to hit things with, thanks to the stun and some extra damage before I stick with the AR. The extra heals are my "oh poo poo" buttons for when I stumble into something I can't handle.
The blade is more for when I get into the middle of a large group, and single target murder isn't cutting it and I need to AoE some stuff quickly.

Gear wise, I've gt some QL 7-8 greens, but it's mostly QL10 greens and blues, with a Woodcutter's Sorrow to really boost all my healing stuff (including my leeching I guess maybe? I don't have a clue tbh).

So lots of attack rating gear, weapon power, penetration, with the occasional bit of health or whatever, and then that one necklace just to give my healing a bit of a bump.

It basically allows me to just straight up waltz through the majority of content, in probably the most boring way possible (circle strafe, rinse, repeat, leech heal kills all). Except for, like, dungeons, and those sudden difficulty spikes of course.
I've got my entire inner wheel, and I'm working on finishing my blade outer wheel before maybe working on either my pistol or AR outer wheel, eventually followed by shotguns.

It's probably the dumbest path ever to cut through things, but it makes most of this levelling content relatively painless, in some ways, as I can blunder into a fight and feel like I'm probably in control.

I just want to make sure you know, since all of your passives are either neutral or for AR/sword, that you can use any passives. There are certain ones, like regeneration, that don't make sense outside of using blade, but there's no reason to limit yourself to AR/blade/neutral passives. If you already knew that then disregard.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the stuff from early level that this thread advises (like Immortal Spirit or Elemental Force) taught me that bit.
Regeneration is what turns Martial Discipline from my "make some stuff glance off me" button into my "oh poo poo I need heals right the gently caress now" button instead, which gives me just long enough to also hit a health drink (from the poo poo ton I seem to collect no matter how fast I try to use the drat things), and either run the hell away, or use Stunning Swirl to slow them down a bit first before running away and firing off more Anima Shot hits.
It doesn't happen that often currently, but it's still a consideration, and I'm loathe to let go of a good combo unless I can find one that does the same job but better. Hence my pairing blade with AR for my levelling path through the various zones - though IIRC I read in this thread somewhere that once I hit either the end of Trans, or somewhere in Tokyo, my leech build will bite me in the rear end and I'll need to switch up to something else. Shotgun/Pistol or Blade/Pistol perhaps?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

In trans you'll start hitting mobs that are immune to stuns or hinders, so builds that rely on those things get dumpstered. As long as you don't rely on them you'll be fine.

There are a few kind of staple passives from other weapons you'll want to try out, or at least look at, like bloodsport (fist), arterial pulse, iron maiden, and dark potency (blood), twist the knife (blade), and livewire (elemental). There are a lot more, but combining stuff like twist the knife and the blood passives and bloodsport can yield a lot of extra damage. Since you're using a leech AR build, you probably won't need the self healing passives like immortal spirit, but you should know it's there in case you run across a situation where you just need asstons of healing and can change your build accordingly.

On the right side of the ability wheel screen, you can search for key words in ability tooltips, so if you search something like "afflicted" or "you penetrate" or "you critically hit" all of the actives and passives relevant to that will show up. It can help to find new skills to go for and to fill your build out. Filling out each weapon one by one will take you forever, so taking some time to home in on what you really want and getting those first before doing whatever system you like to fill the whole thing out can save you some frustration.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcjomar posted:

Okay so I'm using:

Anima Shot,
Fire in the Hole,
Blade Torrent
Clearing the Path
Stunning Swirl
Martial Discipline
Point of Harmony

Immortal Spirit
Eagle Eye
Experience
Tipped Scales
Anima Boost
Unfair Advantage
Regeneration

This build doesn't work on a number of levels. If you want to do Blades/AR leeching, here's how you work it:
You want everything focused on making your stuff do max up-front damage because that's how you leech the most. Also, you want the AR portion stronger, because that's where the leeches are.

Your two options are:
Leeching Frenzy -> Shoot Em' Up -> Suppressing Fire

or

Hip Fire -> Bloodsport

Either way, you'll get a guaranteed Afflict that will trigger the Penetrate on Clearing the Path which is the entire reason to use it.

Then, you put in Eagle Eye and Transfuse Anima, because even though you won't be triggering the Hindered part very often, Funcom didn't bother to make a good direct Leech dps ability.

The Art of War or Stunning Swirl both make good Elite actives. The Art of War is generally better when used with Fluid Defense, which you should also be using but don't go rushing down the tree to get it unless you've got everything else.

So, at this point, you've got:
Suppressing Fire
Transfuse Anima
Clearing the Path
The Art of War / Stunning Swirl

Leeching Frenzy / ???
Shoot Em' Up / Bloodsport
Eagle Eye
Fluid Defense

Which is your core build.

From there, you want more dps passives.
Breakdown -> Paradigm Shift / Fever Pitch

And, then that leaves you with 3 active slots, which you can use for pretty much whatever utility you want.
If you want some sort of direct heal, there's Turn the Tables or Platoon (although Platoon is probably going to be awful in dps gear).

I think my final build would be something like...

1. Suppressing Fire
  2. Transfuse Anima
  3. Clearing the Path
  4. Surging Blades
  5. Tactical Retreat
  6. Turn the Tables
  7. The Art of War / Stunning Swirl

1. Leeching Frenzy / Accuracy
  2. Shoot Em' Up / Bloodsport
  3. Eagle Eye
  4. Twist the Knife
  5. Breakdown
  6. Paradigm Shift / Fever Pitch
  7. Fluid Defense

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Suppressing Fire (got it)
Transfuse Anima (don't got it)
Clearing the Path (got it)
Surging Blades (got it)
Tactical Retreat (don't got it)
Turn the Tables
The Art of War / Stunning Swirl (got both)

Leeching Frenzy / Accuracy (got neither)
Shoot Em' Up / Bloodsport (got the second)
Eagle Eye (got it)
Twist the Knife (got it)
Breakdown (don't got it)
Paradigm Shift / Fever Pitch (got the first)
Fluid Defense (got it)

So I've got some more AP to spend at some point.
That aside, why does Experience end up losing out as the elite passive?
I'd have figured a 20% boost on leeching would be worth it maybe? Or is it just not enough?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This is the build I've been following and it's gotten me through the Savage Coast without much of a problem. https://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/beginner-build-modern-samurai Minus Iron Maiden, since it requires Blood Magic outer circle talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcjomar posted:

That aside, why does Experience end up losing out as the elite passive?
I'd have figured a 20% boost on leeching would be worth it maybe? Or is it just not enough?

8.5% to all damage is better than 20% leeching for a build that is not 100% leech. Also, the defensive buff is probably worth more mitigation than the bonus leech heals.

• Locked thread