Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's pretty much what happened. I like cooking, or like the idea of being able to cook at least. I'm certainly not good at it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you want to do cuts like that in such a short time a pressure cooker will be your friend.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
What are some good, healthier things to do with potatoes? My mum grows them and keeps giving them to me, but I've never really made them in any way that doesn't involve large amounts of butter/oil and I'm trying to not be a fat person.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

What are some good, healthier things to do with potatoes? My mum grows them and keeps giving them to me, but I've never really made them in any way that doesn't involve large amounts of butter/oil and I'm trying to not be a fat person.

I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but it's a big starchy potato. The calories are coming from the potato, not the oil. You could boil them and do a vinegar salad or something, but it's kind of like wondering what you could put on a big piece of bread instead of butter - in the end, you're still eating a big piece of bread.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Paperhouse posted:

Potato salad's a good start (without mayo). So are baked or roasted potatoes if you can fight the urge to put anything fun unhealthy on them. Potato Leek Soup's good too if you can find a version without heavy cream, but there's still 2tbs of butter involved in this version

If you have way too many potatoes a quick way to whittle that down would be grating/freezing your own hashbrowns that you could fry up every morning in delicious butter and salt.

Or Oven Baked Cottage Fries, but again there's 2tbs of olive oil involved

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been meaning to make this split pea, potato, bacon soup. It looks good with minimal fats.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/10/split-pea-bacon-potato-soup/

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Paperhouse posted:

Healthiness has more to do with portion control than anything. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about butter, cream, and natural oils, you just need them in moderation.

Mostly, if you're trying to be healthy, just stay away from the obviously deep fried and/or slathered in butter/cheese recipes. A serving of mashed potatoes isn't going to kill you, and I've read that you can replace the milk/butter with chicken stock, although I tried that once and it was somewhat depressing.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

hogmartin posted:

I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but it's a big starchy potato. The calories are coming from the potato, not the oil.

Yeah, this is entirely wrong. Potatoes are not very calorie dense in themselves. Far less than pasta or rice for instance. There is a huge difference in how many calories you get from eating plain boiled potatoes and the same weight of potato salad drenched in mayo or some form of deep fried potato variant.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ChickenWing posted:

A serving of mashed potatoes isn't going to kill you, and I've read that you can replace the milk/butter with chicken stock, although I tried that once and it was somewhat depressing.

You can reserve some of the water that the potatoes were boiled in, and use that instead of milk too. It works surprisingly well.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bake the potato and stuff it with vegetables. You can also put a runny egg on it, or a tbsp of real bacon bits goes a long way.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe this belongs in the restaurant thread but I'm surprised there's not a fruit & veggies fast food chain. Make it available to order a cup of steamed broccoli, half a cup of asparagus, some fire-roasted zucchini etc at a drive thru and I'm sure a lot of people would go for it.

Dumb question, are vegetables and fruit too costly to sell at a chain fast food level or is it not around because the market for it would be so small that it would tank?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrSlam posted:

Maybe this belongs in the restaurant thread but I'm surprised there's not a fruit & veggies fast food chain. Make it available to order a cup of steamed broccoli, half a cup of asparagus, some fire-roasted zucchini etc at a drive thru and I'm sure a lot of people would go for it.

Dumb question, are vegetables and fruit too costly to sell at a chain fast food level or is it not around because the market for it would be so small that it would tank?

Chinese places do it. I think a ton of people aren't really going to flock to a place that serves veggie meals though.

Causal dining chains have it mastered. $2.99 for 6-8 stalks of asparagus or a cup of loving broccoli?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I always just chop up potatoes, cover them with seasoning (either Old Bay or marjoram/thyme/oregano/salt/pepper) and put them on a well-oiled baking sheet in an oven at whatever temperature the rest of my stuff is at (375? 425?) until the rest of my food is done or they're tender. Flip them at some point if you want. It helps to rinse them and dry them well before seasoning, but it's no big deal if you don't have time.

But egg is a good option, too. A thing I do usually with sweet potatoes but sometimes a regular potato is steam it in the microwave, then put some cheese in it (but not much) then stuff it with either BBQ or or carnitas and beans. Make an egg-shaped divot, then put an egg on top and bake it until the egg is set however much you want it to be. You can also make the egg separately and pop it on top but I like cracking the egg over the meat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MrSlam posted:

There are a few reasons- the factors you mention, and, based on my reading, because having a stable supply chain for a semi-decent variety of fruit and veg can be very difficult. You have to increase the price point past viable fast food to make it work.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sloppy Joe recipe?

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but it's a big starchy potato. The calories are coming from the potato, not the oil. You could boil them and do a vinegar salad or something, but it's kind of like wondering what you could put on a big piece of bread instead of butter - in the end, you're still eating a big piece of bread.

You have subscribed to the idea that carbs are calorie dense. It is a common perception, but it isn't correct. If you must generalize the 4 4 9 rule is fairly accurate. Four calories per gram of protein and carbs and nine for fat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Roxy Rouge posted:

You have subscribed to the idea that carbs are calorie dense. It is a common perception, but it isn't correct. If you must generalize the 4 4 9 rule is fairly accurate. Four calories per gram of protein and carbs and nine for fat.

You're probably not going to slather half a pound of butter on your baked potato (adjust for potatoes smaller than a pound accordingly)

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Does anyone have a good recipe for vegan brownies? I want to make some for a vegan friend and, although searching throws up a wide variety of them, reviews and methods of each recipe are all over the shop so I don't know where to start. It'd be nice to have one that's tried and tested by a trusted source (you lot!) tia.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So, forming patties and storing them: Does freezing them really matter? I recall Wendy's making some big deal that their beef isn't frozen, does that actually effect the meat at all? I was planning on buying a few pounds of beef, making pucks, laying them between wax paper and chucking them in the freezer and taking them out as needed. I work at a grocery store though so if it actually effects the quality I have no problem just buying ground beef as needed, I just wanna be lazy and not have to form a patty every time I want to burg.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leal posted:

So, forming patties and storing them: Does freezing them really matter? I recall Wendy's making some big deal that their beef isn't frozen, does that actually effect the meat at all? I was planning on buying a few pounds of beef, making pucks, laying them between wax paper and chucking them in the freezer and taking them out as needed. I work at a grocery store though so if it actually effects the quality I have no problem just buying ground beef as needed, I just wanna be lazy and not have to form a patty every time I want to burg.

Not really, so long as you seal them well and don't let them sit in the freezer for months.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leal posted:

What I have been doing if I'm making hamburgers for more than say, 2 people, is just buying the pre-formed patties

They're 1/4lb each which is what size I make them anyway. Kroger sells 80/20 for $3.99/lb, so I'm paying the same price and I don't have to futz with the patties.

My mom freezes meat and when she takes hamburger out to thaw it always ends up 'wet'. Pain in the rear end to form and they want to fall apart on the grill.

Edit: those Bubba Burgers are frozen and I've cooked those for parties and they aren't terrible.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 1, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

dis astranagant posted:

You're probably not going to slather half a pound of butter on your baked potato (adjust for potatoes smaller than a pound accordingly)

you wouldn't need to. 1 tbsp of butter nearly matches the calories in a russet potato.

Anne Whateley posted:

Bake the potato and stuff it with vegetables. You can also put a runny egg on it, or a tbsp of real bacon bits goes a long way.

skip the bacon, that's even worse than butter if you're looking to cut calories out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are literally 25 calories in 1 Tbsp of bacon bits, and twice as much protein as fat so it doesn't even mess up your macro ratios. Butter is much more calorie-dense with over 100 calories in 1Tbsp, all fat.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is anyone going to look these values up before posting instead of throwing poo poo out there?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you're using frozen patties, they don't need to be thawed completely before throwing them on the grill. They're usually thin enough that by the time you've gotten a good sear on the outside, the inside will have warmed up to temp just fine.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Anne Whateley posted:

There are literally 25 calories in 1 Tbsp of bacon bits, and twice as much protein as fat so it doesn't even mess up your macro ratios. Butter is much more calorie-dense with over 100 calories in 1Tbsp, all fat.

Yeah but who just eats a tablespoon of bacon bits? Bacon is 5.4 calories per gram, roughly, and butter is 7.2.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Is anyone going to look these values up before posting instead of throwing poo poo out there?

Well clearly I'm not :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I started off by saying a tablespoon of bacon bits goes a long way, and it does. Obviously some people could put half a cup on anything, but for 25 calories a tablespoon adds a lot of flavor. Also, it makes a lot less sense eating-wise to measure by weight instead of volume.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

pardon me, I didn't realize you were referring to a brand called Real Bacon Bits. I'm not familiar with the brand.

The Ferret King posted:

checked all my amounts on CalorieCount:

Russet Potatoes - most range from 100-110 calories for a serving size of 100-148 g (though I haven't checked all of them)

Butter (you can adjust the serving size to tbsp yourself) comes in at just over 100 calories for 1 tbsp

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

JawKnee posted:

pardon me, I didn't realize you were referring to a brand called Real Bacon Bits. I'm not familiar with the brand.
The brand is Hormel. The food is real bacon bits. If you're arguing homemade bacon bits have five times as many calories, please cite that too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yeah but who just eats a tablespoon of bacon bits?
Look, let's not be dishonest with ourselves.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The brand is Hormel. The food is real bacon bits. If you're arguing homemade bacon bits have five times as many calories, please cite that too.

Sure, in the interests of academic completeness on this cooking subforum, in this comedy forum, for you, forums poster Anne Whateley

Caloric content seems to vary pretty widely over the various brands available to quickly look at on CalorieCount (and if that's not thorough enough for you... too bad?), but here's a random sampling:

code:
serving - calories - weight - calories/g
1 slice - 40 cals - 8g - 5/g		
1 slice - 30 cals - 7g - 4.2/g
1 slice - 73 cals - 27g - 2.7/g
1 slice - 80 cals - 38g - 2.1/g
1 slice - 34 cals - 6g - 5.6/g
1 slice - 57 cals - 33g - 1.7/g (this seems... unlikely)
1 slice - 40 cals - 8g - 5/g
1 slice - 90 cals - 15g - 6/g
1 slice - 68 cals - 20g - 3.4/g
1 slice - 30 cals - 7g - 4.2/g
So you could certainly buy the less caloric bacon, or even your Real Bacon Bits (though I wouldn't). I'm curious where you're getting the 1 Tbsp = 7g measure though - do you know this off-hand? Have you painstakingly checked the weight vs. the volume? Inquiring minds, etc.

If I were making bacon bits though? I'd likely use 2 slices/potato. That handily puts all but the few lowest measures up there at over 100 calories. It may even cook down to a volume equal to 1 tbsp but I literally can't be assed to check.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Your original statement was that Bacon Bits was worse than butter though. Butter is 7kcal per gram, and bacon is <5, so that is wrong.

If I had to guess, I would probably end up with about 7g for a tablespoon of bacon bits too. A tablespoon of water is 15g, and bacon bits having half the density seems reasonable, assuming you don't like compress them super dense somehow that is.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yeah but who just eats a tablespoon of bacon bits?

:cripes:
"MrSlam have you seen the bacon-bits?"
"MrSlam you can't just go to the salad bar and load your plate up with toppings..."
"MrSlam that sandwich will kill you..."

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 1, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Your original statement was that Bacon Bits was worse than butter though. Butter is 7kcal per gram, and bacon is <5, so that is wrong.

I guess that's a fair interpretation, though that's not what I had intended (going measure for measure that is); rather I was saying that the amount of bacon one might put on a baked potato is likely going to be more caloric than the amount of butter one might put on that same baked potato. I'm likely not being exact enough here for everyone but gently caress it I haven't had my coffee and pedantry is boring.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just use zero calorie artificial bacon-flavored seasoning? duh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JawKnee do your bacon figures assume fat being rendered?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

No, but that's merely because I'm not putting more effort than necessary into this. I also don't eat bacon any more, but when I did I didn't like it fossilized, so I wouldn't personally have cooked it until no fat remained (or trimmed it either)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I was a kid, my favourite sandwich was peanut butter and bacos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

JawKnee posted:

I guess that's a fair interpretation, though that's not what I had intended (going measure for measure that is); rather I was saying that the amount of bacon one might put on a baked potato is likely going to be more caloric than the amount of butter one might put on that same baked potato. I'm likely not being exact enough here for everyone but gently caress it I haven't had my coffee and pedantry is boring.
No wonder this is such a loving weird conversation, I started out by specifying a tablespoon while you were thinking "go hog wild." I agree, don't go hog wild with bacon if you're trying to eat low-calorie.