Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The other main antagonist for GB84 was Ivo Shandor, the wealthy architect/property developer/cult leader who could afford to secretly construct a gigantic psychokinetic antenna/portal out of materials like magnesium-tungsten alloys and gold plated bolts and disguise it as an apartment building.

He's an off-screen villain who doesn't really get explored until Ghost Busters The Video Game like 25 years later, though.

I think GB84 has enough wiggle room to read however you want it to. The Ghostbusters are definitely libertarians, but you can argue that they're anti-establishment and counter-cultural enough to not necessarily read as "conservative". By definition, they've embraced the new and unusual by pioneering a fringe Weird Science. Ray owns an occult book store. Ray is for sure chatting up wiccan chicks at his occult book store, Egon would be stuffed in a locker by almost anybody who who buys the neo-con anti-intellectualism narrative, Venkman was making a career out of bilking money out of public grants. The only one I can't really speak for is Winston, because we don't really see him do anything that could be politically charged; he's just trying to make a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deadly_pudding posted:

He's an off-screen villain who doesn't really get explored until Ghost Busters The Video Game like 25 years later, though.

Shandor was originally going to be the final boss fight in earlier versions of the script but even without that he was still the sole cause behind the ghosts suddenly manifesting. If his building hadn't been gathering psychokinetic energy for all those decades there wouldn't have been enough spectral activity for Egon and Ray to complete their research and build their equipment and form the Ghostbusters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The mentioned bureaucrat is also defeated by another government official, when it's revealed that the cause of the problem was his own negligence.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shandor was originally going to be the final boss fight in earlier versions of the script but even without that he was still the sole cause behind the ghosts suddenly manifesting. If his building hadn't been gathering psychokinetic energy for all those decades there wouldn't have been enough spectral activity for Egon and Ray to complete their research and build their equipment and form the Ghostbusters.

I think that's stretching it too much. That's like saying Emperor Palpatine was the primary antagonist of Star Wars Episode IV because he signed off on and financed the construction of the death star.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WaywardWoodwose posted:

It goes way deeper than that. There is both a Firefly(Fox) and a Serenity(Universal) RPG, written by the same person i believe, and because those are technically two different licensees, characters, ships, and even certain CONCEPTS aren't allowed to be used in both. So the character River Tam obviously has to be in both, but the Firefly book, which came out last, is NOT allowed to have her do kung fu and kick rear end, because that idea is owned by a Universal pictures.

The Terminator TV series is similar. They can use the Connors, Kyle Reese, the Terminator concept, they can refer back to events from the first two films - but they can't actually say the word Terminator or refer to the robots as Terminators and they can't use the names T-800 or T-1000 but they can have T-888s and a T-1001 which are exactly the same. But it's also called Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, so, they can obviously use the name of the franchise?

I always wonder how the negotiations worked for it.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
It's time to close the book on the remake's box office, by the time it's over in theaters it'll only be 10-15 million away from $244 million, and the fact it appearently needed $500 million to break even? loving :laffo: Suicide Squad's up to $637 million now and although it may not be that much for WB, at least they did a better financial job than this trainwreck.

Maybe if they just made a movie where they learned how to make a business and/or prove how good they are at science stuff and catching ghosts, it wouldn't be half bad. But they had to make the "haters" the main villain because Feig, Dippold, and Pascal wanted to prove a point that they don't give a gently caress what they think, and the plan backfired because better movies were right around the corner...and they had plots where they just did their own thing without being butthurt by fanbases.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic point is that white supremacists like Ghostbusters. A lot.

Can we prove that they are wrong - that Ghostbusters is ideologically incompatible with white-supremacist ideology?

That's a real challenge, given that the film's protagonists run a literal concentration camp. But this is a challenge you must face head-on. There's no going back. There's no pretending it didn't happen.

:stare: how in the hell did you even come to that conclusion?

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Junior Jr. posted:

Maybe if they just made a movie where they learned how to make a business and/or prove how good they are at science stuff and catching ghosts, it wouldn't be half bad.

That is exactly what it was. The only bit about the haters were about two lines when they were checking the youtube video comments. The villian is a mirror version of Erin, who choose to hate and use his knowledge for evil.

Anyway, even Waterworld eventually made it's budget back trough TV, Cable, etc.

Topolino fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 31, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They aren't good at catching ghosts. They're pretty damned good with murdering them, though.

But this is almost a pure superhero version of Ghostbusters. They've got an ending of, "Well, even though most people don't believe or know we secretly saved the world, there are people who know we aren't menaces and are real heroes.**" There is never any real talk of money outside of the Firehouse rent, the never seem to be trying to figure out a way to bill anyone for their work, they only ever really talk about helping people and nothing about actually being a business, you've got them being given a huge amount of government funding to keep doing whatever they want to do.

It's like the exact opposite of the arc of the original film: They end up being cast out of a place where they were give money and facilities to do whatever they want to... being back in a situation where they are given money and facilities to do whatever they want.

**edit: It's almost something akin to something you'd see in a Spider-man and/or Avengers ending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JediTalentAgent posted:

They aren't good at catching ghosts. They're pretty damned good with murdering them, though.

Whatever happened to the ghosts at the end of the original movie anyway?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

:stare: how in the hell did you even come to that conclusion?

Junior Jr. posted:

Maybe if they just made a movie where they learned how to make a business and/or prove how good they are at science stuff and catching ghosts, it wouldn't be half bad. But they had to make the "haters" the main villain because Feig, Dippold, and Pascal wanted to prove a point that they don't give a gently caress what they think, and the plan backfired

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

computer parts posted:

They all escaped but with Shandor's conduit gone I guess they no longer had any connection to the world from their aetheric plane?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quote-Unquote posted:

They all escaped but with Shandor's conduit gone I guess they no longer had any connection to the world from their aetheric plane?

So they died.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Slimer survived the end of GB1 and was still around in GB2

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Well, save for various smaller natural and manmade conduits located throughout the world. What I'm saying is that GB2 should have been a road trip movie.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

JediTalentAgent posted:

But this is almost a pure superhero version of Ghostbusters.

It's definitely a superhero origin story. That's why it has the scenes of the equipment progressing and the part where they get the logo. It's not enough for Spider-Man to just have his web shooters, you have to see him make it and the first version has to kinda suck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

computer parts posted:

I think they actually explained this in the cartoon.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It's definitely a superhero origin story. That's why it has the scenes of the equipment progressing and the part where they get the logo. It's not enough for Spider-Man to just have his web shooters, you have to see him make it and the first version has to kinda suck.

They needed Bruce Campbell in this film to give the team their name at the concert hall.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the one, the only.... What do you ladies call yourselves?"
"The Institute for the Scientific Study of Paranormal Phenomenon and..."
"Oh, that's no good... The GHOOOOOSTBUSTERS!"

*CHEERS FROM AUDIENCE--CUT BACK TO TEAM RETURNING TO LAB, KEVIN POUTING*

"Listen, I need to know in advance if this organization is changing their name because I don't know if you appreciate how long it takes me to change all our promotional material!"
*HOLDS UP SEVERAL PROFESSIONAL LOOKING FLYERS WITH LONGER NAME CRUDELY CROSSED OUT IN SHARPIE AND 'GOSTBUSTERS' HANDWRITTEN ON THEM IN HIS INKSTAINED HANDS.*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Deleted scenes are starting to appear, this one is a "Buzzfeed exclusive." Looks like there was some sort of sub plot with Erin's boyfriend that got cut out entirely.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/this-ghostbusters-deleted-scene-about-dude-dancing-is-pure-g?utm_term=.ui1qqpYjO#.xcrVVjLrP

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I originally heard someone talk that the theatrical cut was trimmed from a 4-hour film, now I'm hearing only 15 minutes of cut footage and several hours of alternate takes and bloopers?

However, I guess that makes some sense if the idea is that a quite a bit of this film was improv and you'd have a ton of alternate takes as a consequence of performers wanting to to different approaches to a scene.

edit: Unless the idea was that a lot of these these 'alternate takes' of a single scene were maybe being toyed with in a way to edit several of them into protracted single extended cuts of those scenes?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 1, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The fact that they've cut so much out (Erin's bf, I mean there wasn't even a hint of that in the movie! And Erin and I don't even remember the other one's name falling out) proves that the script must have been an absolute shambles OR Feig just didn't give a gently caress about the script and everything is all his fault and it was all IMPROV IMPROV IMPROV.

I don't know which one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The original rough cut was allegedly 4 hours. That means the plot, whatever it was, from start to finish, was 4 hours.

I want to see that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The original rough cut was allegedly 4 hours. That means the plot, whatever it was, from start to finish, was 4 hours.

I want to see that.

At least an hour of that would have been impro that had nothing to do with the plot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

At least an hour of that would have been impro that had nothing to do with the plot

Most likely, but the 4 hours I don't think includes alternate takes, unless it's a situation where they play it like they keep making new jokes about the same situation.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I want to see a cut where Kevin shows off all his logo ideas for half an hour.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Someone made a really great post in one of the comic threads about rough cuts and how they are literally the full cut of every scene from the shooting script laid end to end, and are routinely hours longer than even would be reasonable for a long movie. So it's not unheard of or even that notable for even comedies to have 3-4 hour rough cuts.

EDIT: found it, it is worth a read:

The Cameo posted:

Assembly cuts usually end up being long like that. Age of Ultron and BvS aren't like M:I 2 where the cut Woo actually wanted to put in theaters was well over three hours. An assembly cut is literally all the scenes you shot slapped together by an editor, using the best takes, to give an amorphous version of the film, much like a rough draft of a story is every goddamn thing that goes through your mind. You could just as well call it an outline cut. Every single plotline, every single character beat, every single thing deemed important enough to print to film is in that damned thing. They're practically dailies laid end to end.

Then you start tearing things out because the editor and director and producer see what things are egregious to the story, what's repetitive statements or character beats, who's important to the story and who's not, and all those little things, and the film whittles down by minutes at a time. And that's just called a rough cut, and that's the one you start showing to the people paying for the picture to show them you haven't hosed the football on their dime. The rough cut is also when you start to go "okay we need to reshoot this, maybe add a beat here" and you start lining up what you're going to use the (normally) already allotted time for pick-ups/reshoots so that when you get to the next step you're not going to be missing anything.

Then you're down to the fine cut. On a bigger movie you're getting finalized FX shots and score is being recorded and laid into the sound mix and sound editors are combing over the cuts and adding foley and you're maybe coming close on locking some of the reels that are less intensive on things and studio screenings are happening and the color timing is locked and everything's at a boil. This is where Snyder and Brenner probably felt great about their three hour cut and then between this and the picture lock (in fact maybe after picture lock, since apparently there was some screenings of this cut as well as an MPAA screening that earned it the R rating) some execs were like "we want this to be 2.5 and oh yeah IT MUST BE PG-13, you sickos" to squeeze in an extra screening a day and they basically had to rip a couple entire character arcs out to make it work.

And then picture locks and FX shots are finalizing and music locks and sound mixing is finalizing and by that point the studio's lining schedules up for everyone for junkets and premieres against people's other obligations. If you're Snyder, you start storyboarding Justice League off of Terrio's latest draft and figuring logistics like shooting locations and whatnot (like Fong having a schedule problem thanks to Skull Island's shooting period and pick-up time coming right in the middle of JL production so gotta find a new DP).

People can remark that directors are turning in real long assembly cuts all they want but the initial Fury Road assembly cut was like five hours long (out of 480 hours of footage, so already that's a culling beyond belief) and Sixel got it to a little over 120 minutes. Editing is a balancing act and a series of gut decisions that you don't necessarily know will pan out. People relate editing to screenwriting quite often, and that's because in the end you're still kind of bumbling around in the dark with a lot of ideas to sift through and figuring out what darlings you can kill and what ones take the whole thing down with them if you do and you're just constantly slamming your head against miniscule moments and revising and revising and revising and revising and

(what I'm saying is that the internet is beginning to have a habit of using the assembly cut against a movie when they're completely missing the intent of an assembly cut in the first place. Age of Ultron's problems aren't sourced in the fact that Whedon had a four-hour cut in assembly, because he was never going to seriously try to put that cut out in theaters.)

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 1, 2016

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There are also a ton of lines in the earlier trailers that never made it to the final film. Kevin saying how someone should make something to fight ghosts, and they point out that's literally what they've been doing. Patty turning up with the car, Abby saying it's a hearse, then her response being "it's a Cadillac". Whole bunch of others I can't recall offhand.

6 year old boy (almost 7) I know was talking about Ghostbusters this weekend. Had just watched the '84 and 2016 versions. He told me he liked the girl Ghostbusters the best. Said he liked the music more. Then I told him about Real Ghostbusters and helped him look up some episodes on YouTube so he has all the Ghostbusters.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The extended version will finally have that dance sequence we've clearly been waiting for, it'll fill that plot hole that prove how funny this movie was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Junior Jr. posted:

The extended version will finally have that dance sequence we've clearly been waiting for, it'll fill that plot hole that prove how funny this movie was.

Wasn't the dance sequence already included, just put behind the credits? Was there ANOTHER dance sequence?!?!?!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Someone made a really great post in one of the comic threads about rough cuts and how they are literally the full cut of every scene from the shooting script laid end to end, and are routinely hours longer than even would be reasonable for a long movie. So it's not unheard of or even that notable for even comedies to have 3-4 hour rough cuts.

EDIT: found it, it is worth a read:

Just wanted to say thank you for this, as it was really fascinating and I had no idea that was how they did it. It also goes to show just how important Editors are to the final piece as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Just wanted to say thank you for this, as it was really fascinating and I had no idea that was how they did it. It also goes to show just how important Editors are to the final piece as well.

Yeah The Cameo is in the industry (in some capacity don't ask me lol) but provides a lot of good perspective

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apparently, in a repeat of Live/Die/Repeat, the film is getting officially retitled for home release to be Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The five hour workprint of Spinal Tap mostly drowns out the sharply edited funny bits in lots of dead time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently, in a repeat of Live/Die/Repeat, the film is getting officially retitled for home release to be Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.

Ghosbusters: Port of Call New Orleans

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

PriorMarcus posted:

Dammit Kevin, pick up the phone already!

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

There are also a ton of lines in the earlier trailers that never made it to the final film. Kevin saying how someone should make something to fight ghosts, and they point out that's literally what they've been doing. Patty turning up with the car, Abby saying it's a hearse, then her response being "it's a Cadillac". Whole bunch of others I can't recall offhand.

6 year old boy (almost 7) I know was talking about Ghostbusters this weekend. Had just watched the '84 and 2016 versions. He told me he liked the girl Ghostbusters the best. Said he liked the music more.
Awesome. And yeah, the GB'16 IS better, especially when it comes to the music. Iactually have my phone set up so that I wake up to the Fall Out Boy version of the theme everyday

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Awesome. And yeah, the GB'16 IS better, especially when it comes to the music. Iactually have my phone set up so that I wake up to the Fall Out Boy version of the theme everyday

You picked the absolute worst rework of the theme song to wake you up? So you can curse the world that made it to turn it off?

I love a lot of the remix work on that soundtrack, but that was easily the worst one on it. Its the most obvious cash grab of a single when the Walk the Moon version is real good, and Get Ghost is a way more fun use of the base track.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You picked the absolute worst rework of the theme song to wake you up? So you can curse the world that made it to turn it off?

Don't engage him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
On our own is still my favorite Ghostbusters song.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

blackguy32 posted:

On our own is still my favorite Ghostbusters song.

Jesus Christ I haven't thought about that song for years and it just leaped to life in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I was about to grab the novelization when the movie came out to see how much stuff might have been different between the two, since I know in the past that novelizations of films sometimes go into either wildly different takes on the film or provide a lot of cut material from the film or original scripts.

(Then I saw it was about $10 and balked...)

Instead, I randomly flipped to a page and happened to go right to where I think that Kevin exchange is on. From the page I read, it seemed like they were presenting Kevin as having a flash of being an extremely effective manager/motivator whose overall stupidity otherwise derails that ability. If I remember right, it says that he's giving this incredibly take-charge leadership-grade speech and from anyone else it would have rallied the troops and inspired them, but he quickly just turns into a babbling idiot who quickly doesn't even know why he's saying anything, what he's talking about, or what they even do.

• Locked thread