Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I mean at some point the real chancers will start becoming MPs & eventually there will some proper sleaze & corruption stories coming out, but I suppose it's impressive it's not happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Pissflaps posted:

Might anyone in this thread be at risk of developing this?

I think if there's anyone at risk of blowing out a lot of air and making a lot of terrible noise ITT it's you, Flaps~ <3

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I mean at some point the real chancers will start becoming MPs & eventually there will some proper sleaze & corruption stories coming out, but I suppose it's impressive it's not happened yet.

Isn't it three SNP MPs that have already been removed from the party over corruption allegations?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Isn't it three SNP MPs that have already been removed from the party over corruption allegations?

It's definitely a start but it still made no real dent in support. All 3 events are bad but we've yet to have something on the scale of Neil Hamilton, Jonathan Aitken & Jeffery Archer. It's not like the repeated resignations for sleaze of Peter Mandleson brought down New Labour either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
3 out of ~40 new MPs within 18 months seems like a very high ratio.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

3 out of ~40 new MPs within 18 months seems like a very high ratio.

It is. And yet it's not high enough.

Look I'm grasping at straws. Maybe the Scottish people will never bore of the SNP & we'll become an effective one party state like Japan. I hope not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

It's definitely a start but it still made no real dent in support. All 3 events are bad but we've yet to have something on the scale of Neil Hamilton, Jonathan Aitken & Jeffery Archer.

Lack of opportunity, I suspect. It's a bit hard to get involved in a major scandal when all you have to work with is the budget for Safe Sex With Sheep leaflets.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It's definitely a start but it still made no real dent in support. All 3 events are bad but we've yet to have something on the scale of Neil Hamilton, Jonathan Aitken & Jeffery Archer. It's not like the repeated resignations for sleaze of Peter Mandleson brought down New Labour either.

Exactly, and even then it's not like it was just those three alone which brought down Major. It has to be a pattern fitting into a wider narrative, whether of nastiness or sleaze or incompetence, else they can be easily dismissed as individual cases not representative of the party etc etc.

Scot Lab also didn't help themselves by letting two leaders resign over scandals so piddling (especially in light of MPs expenses) that I can't even remember what they were about. Something about office space for McLeish and a £500 party donation for Alexander? It seemed, even at the time, to be easy enough to just ride them out til the stories died.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The National headline about dying of bagpipe lung is something I'd have expected from the Onion. I am struggling to believe someone decided that was front-page material.

I find it weird that a paper that apparently seeks to make the case for independence as a national newspaper seems to use weaponised twee to sell copy much like the Daily Sport uses tits.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Pissflaps posted:

Might anyone in this thread be at risk of developing this?

I can't play the bagpipes because of my shortbread fingers :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I find it weird that a paper that apparently seeks to make the case for independence as a national newspaper seems to use weaponised twee to sell copy much like the Daily Sport uses tits.

The people buying it for the case of independence already decided they're buying it.

The weaponiaed twee means they might get a few extra sales in the newsagents.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I actually thought that WAS parody. A photoshop. Jfc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tithin posted:

I actually thought that WAS parody. A photoshop. Jfc

Even the name of the paper reads like a joke: "The National", when they're totally provincial. It's one thing to act like Scotland is the most important thing, but National readers must think nowhere else even exists (except Westminster, of course, someone has to do the oppressing).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jedit posted:

Even the name of the paper reads like a joke: "The National", when they're totally provincial. It's one thing to act like Scotland is the most important thing, but National readers must think nowhere else even exists (except Westminster, of course, someone has to do the oppressing).

Since Westminster is a foreign oppressor, "The National" is totally appropriate for the nation of Scotland :v:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
An important message that i think needs to be signal boosted

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Front pages: Stories making headlines in Scotland on Thursday

No descriptions today, possibly too early (I know how the stv sub feels):

Mail and the National tied for outright reality-denying headlines

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
What an odd way to find out my schoolmate is now a standup comic at the fringe and is in the shortlist for an award.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Front pages: Stories making headlines in Scotland on Thursday

No descriptions today, possibly too early (I know how the stv sub feels):

Mail and the National tied for outright reality-denying headlines

I presume you're referring to the Poldark thing? Because regarding the oil crisis the Mail posted an only slightly more alarmist version of a headline on most of the other papers, while the National went full Chemical Ali.

E: "the rights of Scottish strawberries". gently caress off, you bigoted provincial cretins.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I like the ambiguity of the Mail headline. Also I'm glad Flaps agrees that the social pressures that lead to people finding it necessary to keep their feelings bottled up are a serious problem, good for you

Aug 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

E: "the rights of Scottish strawberries". gently caress off, you bigoted provincial cretins.

Agreed, English people complaining about Scottish Strawberries having a Saltire on them, what a bunch of nationalist morons.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

www posted:

Agreed, English people complaining about Scottish Strawberries having a Saltire on them, what a bunch of nationalist morons.

Further evidence that the UK is universally poo poo everywhere :sun:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Everyone knows Southern California invented the Strawberry anyway. Those punks in Pungo, Virginia are lying liars!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

www posted:

Them, too.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

I presume you're referring to the Poldark thing? Because regarding the oil crisis the Mail posted an only slightly more alarmist version of a headline on most of the other papers, while the National went full Chemical Ali.

No one, not even the Daily Mail, can believe that this GERS report is a "fatal" blow to the SNP's aspirations for an independent Scotland.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying the GERs figures help the case for independence, I just think the mail's headline is woefully (and deliberately) stupid, since this deficit - large though it is - doesn't negate every argument for independence. It's also counter productive for the unionist argument long term (not that the mail gives a poo poo about that really) since it posits that the deficit is the be all and end all - and just looking at Brexit I'm not sure that's a great way to try and frame the debate

Niric fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 25, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A key difference in the arguments between Brexit and Scottish Independence is that the UK is a net contributor to the EU whereas Scotland is a net beneficiary of UK membership.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

A key difference in the arguments between Brexit and Scottish Independence is that the UK is a net contributor to the EU whereas Scotland is a net beneficiary of UK membership.

I don't disagree - it's key precisely because it's just a simple arithmetical difference that is grasped intuitively, regardless of any context ("we give the EU money and it's poo poo" is much more powerful than "the UK gives us money but it's poo poo"). However, relying on "Independence = you'll be financially poorer" is a dangerous game, however easily expressed, and seems short sighted. Political behaviour isn't just based on a simple economic/financial calculation.

I mean, I don't think the Mail cares - they're just stoking/playing to short term anger - but it's daft to act like the deficit has killed off independence as a goal.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Niric posted:

No one, not even the Daily Mail, can believe that this GERS report is a "fatal" blow to the SNP's aspirations for an independent Scotland.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying the GERs figures help the case for independence, I just think the mail's headline is woefully (and deliberately) stupid, since this deficit - large though it is - doesn't negate every argument for independence. It's also counter productive for the unionist argument long term (not that the mail gives a poo poo about that really) since it posits that the deficit is the be all and end all - and just looking at Brexit I'm not sure that's a great way to try and frame the debate

Typical, you make a post about the news and within five minutes it's about the GERS

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Britain's last elected communist steps down from his Fife constituency: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/-sp-britains-last-elected-communist-councillor-willie-clarke?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
Labour won the resulting by-election: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/274948/tide-turning-labour-party-fife-election-win/
And the new councillor is a Cool and Good Correct person, who is pro-indy and pro-Corbyn and pro-all sorts of awesome things.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Acaila posted:

Britain's last elected communist steps down from his Fife constituency: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/-sp-britains-last-elected-communist-councillor-willie-clarke?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
Labour won the resulting by-election: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/274948/tide-turning-labour-party-fife-election-win/
And the new councillor is a Cool and Good Correct person, who is pro-indy and pro-Corbyn and pro-all sorts of awesome things.

That liveblog is adorable.

https://twitter.com/C_JWatson/status/768922408539402240

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Acaila posted:

It's still sad in an end-of-an-era kind of way to lose the last elected communist. Seems to have been a well regarded local councillor too, which is a rare thing in this day & age.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah it is! I had been following the election quite closely since Mary is a pal, but hadn't realised that was his constituency.
At least his replacement, while not a commie, is a good solid leftie.
Still though, I was looking in my bookcase earlier for my copy of Gagarin Way to mope a little about communism in Fife.

And yes Ange, I wasn't sure what newspaper to link to for the coverage of the election, and then I found that liveblog and couldn't resist :D Bless!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

www posted:

Ban English strawberries having a English flag on them

Because I want this to be something so stupid that the news is nothing but straw flavoured anger.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Ban English strawberries having a English flag on them

Because I want this to be something so stupid that the news is nothing but straw flavoured anger.

Coming to England and seeing strawberries with unironic Union Jacks on them (as opposed to just having "Produced in the UK" written on the label in slightly larger font) was a culture shock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of want to see an English version of the National.

Like, not the English equivalent, which would be something the EDL would put out, but specifically that sort of front page but about people rolling cheeses down hills and the dangers of excessive crumpet eating.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So hey, Alan Roden is Kezia Dugdale's new Director of Communications. Who is that? Why, he's the Political Editor of the Scottish Daily Mail.

A perfect fit for New Labour really. Strong on immigrants & the causes of immigrants, & devoutly pro market. Hooray. (still probably a less shambolic choice than Seamus Milne mind)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

So hey, Alan Roden is Kezia Dugdale's new Director of Communications. Who is that? Why, he's the Political Editor of the Scottish Daily Mail.

A perfect fit for New Labour really. Strong on immigrants & the causes of immigrants, & devoutly pro market. Hooray. (still probably a less shambolic choice than Seamus Milne mind)

Also a perfect fit for the SNP it seems...

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/770275375524052992

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

alan roden is a poo poo who described miliband as "red ed" and called a proposed 1p increase in tax "the tax hike catastrophe"

the SNP are also bad but pretty much every problem they have scottish labour try their best to emulate it

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The biennial Scottish Index of Multiple Derivation was published yesterday - it's a fantastic resource and well worth having a look at, either for specific information about an area, or for a more general overview of the state of Scotland.

The BBC did a summary of the major urban areas, which starkly shows the disparities both with and between different areas

quote:

In maps: Scotland's most deprived areas

The stark contrast of poverty and wealth in Scotland's towns and cities has been illustrated in an interactive map of deprivation.

The Scottish Index of Multiple of Deprivation named Ferguslie Park in Paisley as the most deprived area of the country.

But the maps show that there are pockets of deprivation in most of Scotland's urban areas.

They highlight the most deprived areas in red, while the least deprived are dark blue

Edinburgh:

Glasgow:

The index found that Glasgow has 56 of the 100 most deprived areas in Scotland.

Meanwhile Edinburgh has six of the most deprived areas - up two on the same survey four years ago.

Outside the central belt, Midstocket, in Aberdeen, and St Andrews south west in Fife were among the least deprived areas

Aberdeen:

Ayr:

Dundee:

Dunfermline:

Falkirk:

Inverness:

Motherwell & Hamilton:

Perth:

Stirling:

Also from the BBC, because STV are slow at putting up summaries this morning, here's the front pages. Depressingly, only the courier and the express lead with anything from the SIMD.

quote:

The Scotsman reports that Prime Minister Theresa May has put the UK on course for a "hard Brexit" which will see the country exit the common market and the imposition of curbs on EU migration.

The Herald says a report has revealed thatweaknesses in children's services - similar to those that contributed to the death of Liam Fee - continue to persist in Scotland

The first powerful treatment for Alzheimer's is on the horizon after a new drug was found to combat the changes to the brain that cause the disease, according to The Times of Scotland

The Scottish Daily Mail has a story about Police Scotland, which the paper says has produced a 10-page report on whether buying new printers would discriminate against minorities.

The National reports on comments made by Labour leader contender Owen Smith on BBC Radio Scotland, saying he dismissed a list of broken promises made during the Better Together campaign as"contingent on Labour being in power".

The Scottish Daily Express says SNP rule in Scotland has seen a "decade of decline", as new deprivation figures are published

The Scottish Sun says Max Clifford has been accused of performing sex acts in front of a 28-year-old woman during jail visits.

The Daily Record leads with a story about the father of Scotland's youngest motor neurone disease sufferer, who has written his daughter a "heartrending letter".

"Corrie race storm over slave joke" is the headline on the front page of the Daily Star of Scotland.

The Press and Journal says the SNP's control of Aberdeenshire Council is "hanging in the balance" after "Legogate" councillor Martin Kitts-Hayes stepped down.

And The Courier has a story aboutScotland's deprivation figures, reporting that Dundee has some of the worst-off areas in Scotland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What a sad state of affairs it is when a politician won't stay bribed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I bet that story on the front of the Daily Mail isn't based in reality.