Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

client posted:

i got the genes where i want booze all the time but i guess also the genes where i dont get fat from drinking it.

life aint bad

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fat people have no Will. That's okay, because all life is struggle and competition and they've basically taken themselves out of the game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Frosted Flake posted:

Fat people have no Will. That's okay, because all life is struggle and competition and they've basically taken themselves out of the game.

I actually do have a Will. He's a pretty nice guy. We hang out a lot.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Massasoit posted:

I am like 40lbs over where I should be and I eat too much food and sit at a desk all day for work.

When I ate less and worked outside 10 hour days I weighed 40 lbs less.

I blame my genetics because it's easier than owning up to the fact that I am a failure :saddowns:

Self hating fat people are the most obnoxious ppl on the planet I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

but this definition doesn't make sense to me. It was all raw ingredients at some point.

All you're saying here is 'somebody cooked it for me and put it in a package' = processed

(If that's not what you're saying then sorry, but please tell me what 'processed' means)

it's kinda become a useless phrase at this point but when I use it I mean things that have a lot of poo poo in em that idk what the gently caress they are

like when I pick up the ingredient list and it says 'turkey, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, wheat, pasteurized cheese, sodium' that's worlds apart from "emulsifier (monoglyceride and citric acid), anti-staling agent, calcium propionate, caramel color, dough conditioner, L-cysteine, enzyme, azodicarbonamide, calcium disodium EDTA, chipotle flavor concentrate, "

it's not just cooking it and putting it in a package, it's adding all kinds of preservatives and flavorings and colorings and whatever cancerous poo poo to make it look/taste good

I try to stay away from anything with flavoring in it for example, natural or artificial (natural just means derived from organic sources, that doesn't mean it can't still be a chemical additive). Obv sometimes I still drink a soda but you know.

LordArgh posted:

they contain compounds that look scary such as "glucose" and "sodium chloride". i mean what the hell is that. can't be natural and must be bad. don't want any of that in my body, no sir

why eat foods with a bunch of chemical flavorings and colors and preservatives when you don't have to though?

Azodicarbonamide is not glucose. Yeah there is a safe threshold for a lot of these chemicals but so what why eat it if you don't have to.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Is this the GBS hates fat people thread?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dreddout posted:

We need a new one

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

but this definition doesn't make sense to me. It was all raw ingredients at some point.

All you're saying here is 'somebody cooked it for me and put it in a package' = processed

(If that's not what you're saying then sorry, but please tell me what 'processed' means)

Yeah hypothetically there's no difference between someone else cooking your food for you and you cooking it yourself but in practice the nutrient breakdown is vastly different and they'll use way more fat/sugar/salt than you would in your own homecooked meals.

There's also the matter of a lot of pre-packaged foods being stuff you wouldn't really have the ability or inclination to cook at home, junk food mostly.

So yeah if you're careful it's certainly possible to have a reasonable diet on stuff that's been prepped for you but for the most part it's a lot easier to control what you're eating when you're making it yourself at home and the rise of obesity certainly meshes with the trend of people relying more on processed garbage.

e: here's like the first scholarly hit for the topic I found if you're gonna be a weiner about it
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7947991&fileId=S1368980010003241

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dreddout posted:

pro tip, it's not just gbs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carmant posted:

Self hating fat people are the most obnoxious ppl on the planet I think.

What's the difference between a self hating fat person and a self aware fat person?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Don't you have to hate yourself at least on some level to be fat and ok with it???

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Don't you have to hate yourself at least on some level to be fat and ok with it???

I guess it depends on what you mean by "ok with it." I've come to a point with the last couple years where I stopped hating myself (about everything, not just weight) and am actually learning to like myself. I'm ok with being fat because that's where I currently am physically, and that's not going to change this very second. I don't hate me or blame others or anything. I understand fully that my obesity severely impacts my quality of life and health on a daily, observable basis.

I'm working to change my obesity. I'm working with a personal trainer/dietician and getting my poo poo together. I've regained tons of mobility and coordination over the last three months which feel fantastic. I didn't do poo poo and ate like crap for the last two weeks because a lifelong friend of mine died and I was a bit bummed. Now I'm back to the gym and prepping meals and poo poo.

I'm a pessimist at heart, so I expect minimal results, but I'm not in a hurry. Getting sober taught me that long, frustrating poo poo that you keep loving up all the time and losing traction on can still turn out fine in the end if you keep trying. So, yeah, I'm ok with being comically obese, currently.

I'll fight a Fat is Beautiful/Health at Any Size motherfucker, though. Good money they'll drop to the ground bloody and wheezing before I collapse into a quivering puddle of exhausted lipids. Bitch, your heart is screaming for help! You aren't healthy!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

Getting sober taught me that long, frustrating poo poo that you keep loving up all the time and losing traction on can still turn out fine in the end if you keep trying.

Yeah it's okay to slip up. It's no bueno when people go damnit I FAILED and just go welp better give up then I suck.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
habitually working towards solving a problem does tend to result in moving closer to the solution, yes

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lichy posted:

habitually working towards solving a problem does tend to result in moving closer to the solution, yes

That lesson is difficult to grasp when you have no sense of self-worth.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When i see a fat at the gym I know e has probably more willpower than me just coming here but I'd rather not get too close

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

When i see a fat at the gym I know e has probably more willpower than me just coming here but I'd rather not get too close

That's wise. We startle easily and have surprising strength due to our massive bulk. Regardless of our reaction to human contact being fight or flight, injury is a real possibility.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Azuth0667 posted:

Hypothyroid, deffective leptin signaling, way too much ghrelin. All genetic things that make you fat and should be a basic test your doc does while having the weight chat.

How can any of these things make you fat if you burn more calories than you eat, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I fought a ghrelin in dark souls

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's wise. We startle easily and have surprising strength due to our massive bulk.

I dont think having gravity and inertia on your side makes your strength surprising.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

vyst posted:

We need a new one

We're about due tbh. Its been a while

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i called a thin person a fat piece of poo poo at a bar once and it really loving hurt them like i saw it in his eyes

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

How can any of these things make you fat if you burn more calories than you eat, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

yeah, it's a good thing we're all robots that can just ignore hunger

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i guess all those people who brag about never exercising and being able to eat whatever they want are loving LIARS because they must be surreptitiously keeping up a planet fitness membership and treadmilling it up at 2 in the morning like some WHORE

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

I AM THE TOILET posted:

i guess all those people who brag about never exercising and being able to eat whatever they want are loving LIARS because they must be surreptitiously keeping up a planet fitness membership and treadmilling it up at 2 in the morning like some WHORE

actually the flip side to the "laws of thermodynamics" arguments is that it's totally possible to not burn or store all of the energy available to you

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
nah fat people are lazy; sorry that's it

also a fat person can't be hungry; if the body wants energy it would just use all that HORRIBLE FAT hanging off of them. the fatty must be eating so much he is outpacing a machine designed by god himself. pitfult, imho

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

Ignoring hunger is kind of part of restricting calories.

if you eat 1500kcal and burn 2000kcal every day for a month you would lose weight regardless of how fat your jeans are, or else cause great confusion amongst many physicists around the world. The problem is not in the calorie restriction its in people counting calories badly (underestimating what they eat and overestimating what they burn).

Where are all the african village teenagers that just cant shift that last 20lbs no matter how many famines there are, thanks to their most hypo of thyroids.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

KVeezy3 posted:

On top of that excessive protein has no scientific evidence of increased muscle growth. Sorry you were fooled by food supplement companies and drugged up bodybuilders.

He's right!

All those big guys got that way on popcorn.

Also, there is technically no proof smoking is bad for you too.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Nature punishes you for missing 1 meal by sucking out all your muscles and leaving behind that sweet, sweet, blubber. The best way to survive famine is to reduce you to a ball of butter that can't do anything except lay there and pray food falls into your mouth before predators find you.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i should start a gym where part of membership costs is that i get to trot out an obese woman eating ice cream in front of all the sweathogs and they glare at her and get angry and MOTIVATED and then they get out they iPads and FURIOUSLY TWEET about how angry they are at FAT PERSON and GOD drat IT WHY CAN'T THEY STOP loving EATING GOD drat IT

and then AND THEN at the end of the workout i bring out either (their choice) a handsome man, a beautiful woman, or impressionable child, and then they fawn over the glistening sweathogs and tell them about how wonderful they look and toned they are becoming and then compliment them on their - ah, yes - willpower and self-control and then idly speak of how they wish they themselves could be like the sweathog themselves one day

finally on the way out they can beat the poo poo out of a (fat!!!!) mcdonald's employee with a nerf bat and get a complimentary aquafina and then head out to work

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

KVeezy3 posted:

Food triggers endorphin release.

So does exercise.

So if a hardcore fatty suddenly stops eating for a couple of days, will they die?

A hardcore alcoholic might.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
hi, im fat and im ready to admit it here on live tv

i'm fat.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Id join that gym.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

504 posted:

If you have "fat genes" you will be fat..

if you eat like a ten year old and are lazy.

If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight
If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight

You cannot get magic fat, nobody can suck weight out of thin air.

This is an accurate study that will be instantly used by lazy greedy people as the "reason" they are fat.

New Wesley Willis track found!

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Lichy posted:

The problem is that people don't have the knowledge/tools to correctly engage the situation, leading ultimately to failure. How many people do you see on the treadmill month after month, year after year, looking exactly the same or worse? The individual is essentially fighting against billions of dollars by invested corporations who understand your body's chemistry better than you do.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So does exercise.

So if a hardcore fatty suddenly stops eating for a couple of days, will they die?

A hardcore alcoholic might.

In the same way an alcohol will feel better after taking a shot of alcohol, a person with type 2 diabetes feels better after a shot of insulin.

There's a real physical embodiment of pain. Addiction to garbage in food is comparable to heroin and cocaine. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html

runupon cracker posted:

The funny thing is that feelings of hunger & periods of fasting are actually quite good for you, and it's what our bodies are designed to do, but this is still quite a taboo discussion that our corporate overlords would not want us having. A man essentially did 382 days of fasting. http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.abstract

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 2, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Fat people arent lazy, they probably actually have the same willpower as normal ppl, its just that they have a higher drive to eat. So for you or me being skinny we're not working harder than the fat people.. or exercising more self control.. its just that we dont have the genetic desire to eat that much

Staple the stomach or put down the fork.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

another 1000+ page thread in the making

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rakosi posted:

Because they gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fat is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

Because they gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways.

instead of sending food to starving third world nations, we should send samples of the fattest American gut flora. this will cure the world famine problem permanently!

• Locked thread