Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
heh, good luck getting bitten to death by your poorly trained resource guarding kayak when you try to shock it you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Warbird posted:

Well, I was going to talk about taking the beagle out on the river in the kayak, but you fellows seem occupied. But since I'm already here, anyone know any waterproof shock collars?

Just ram a fish hook in it's ear, same difference

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wheats posted:

make another Tales From Retail-esque post portraying yourself as the reasonable one in an argument with a literal dog

Well you see, I was standing at the bbq minding my own business when this rampaging customer with four feet steals a corn cob from my trash endcap and just tears off with it towards the drat doors and-

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
do you think everyone at the bbq clapped

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nothing personal dude even poor warbird got a goddamn earful a few times and hell he just got jammed up with a horrid dog. No need to get all testy about it. Look I'll take my lumps too, Last week 1-4 of the doggos got into cooked chicken bones and giving me like 3 fun days of panic as i make sure none of em had bone splinters or anything jammed up in their guts, monitoring poop and slightly overfeeding to put a bit more of a buffer in their stomachs just to ease digestion. I then fixed my fuckup by looking around at the problem, Problem being my dogs are dogs, and they know my headphones are pretty good so when I put em on they go for the trash can.

Open this one you smart fuckers

Its me, I am the dipshit dog owner.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My vet told me cooked chicken bones are fine, raw ones aren't. T/f?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

just feed your dog the whole loving live chicken, you pussy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
technically they are bad because they can splinter and lodge in the throat and gooey inner bits. It can cause blockage, punctures and pain and CAN be fatal. However most times this isnt going to be the case but better not to be a dumbass like me and have the "rare case" on your watch.

Chicken bones basically in any case are not a good idea.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Raw bones are fine.

The danes tore open a garbage bag... hell, I dunno, two months ago now? And got the bones of a whole chicken and I stuffed bread in their faces and they hosed off and everything was fine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Raw bones are fine.

The danes tore open a garbage bag... hell, I dunno, two months ago now? And got the bones of a whole chicken and I stuffed bread in their faces and they hosed off and everything was fine.

i have dogs not horses jeez. I was only worried about the ones that dont inhale their dinner in one mouthful

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

nothing personal dude even poor warbird got a goddamn earful a few times and hell he just got jammed up with a horrid dog. No need to get all testy about it. Look I'll take my lumps too, Last week 1-4 of the doggos got into cooked chicken bones and giving me like 3 fun days of panic as i make sure none of em had bone splinters or anything jammed up in their guts, monitoring poop and slightly overfeeding to put a bit more of a buffer in their stomachs just to ease digestion. I then fixed my fuckup by looking around at the problem, Problem being my dogs are dogs, and they know my headphones are pretty good so when I put em on they go for the trash can.

Open this one you smart fuckers

Its me, I am the dipshit dog owner.

yeah my previous dog figured out how to open those so we had to keep our kitchen garbage in the closet with the water filter and uv purification system (we're on a well/septic system)
pray that yours aren't that smart

i'm so glad that my current dog is so profoundly loving stupid

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PartyCrown posted:

yeah my previous dog figured out how to open those so we had to keep our kitchen garbage in the closet with the water filter and uv purification system (we're on a well/septic system)
pray that yours aren't that smart

i'm so glad that my current dog is so profoundly loving stupid

goddamn it. I hope my dogs are stupider than yours

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog learned how to open the goddam lever handled doors in our apartment at 6 months old. Taking a poo poo had never been the same.

Sometimes I wish I had a retardog

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I just keep my dog shut out of the kitchen unless I'm there, a water bowl stays in the lounge beside his bed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Cool, my normally well behaved dog displayed abnormal behavior one time and I reacted poorly shows constant lack of training by me to the point that people in the thread are sick of me. Forgot this thread is for professional dog owners only where no mistakes are tolerated.

Mistakes are fine as long as you learn from them when you discover that they were, in fact, mistakes. People are trying to teach you to learn from your mistakes before you accidentally teach your dog to literally bite your face off, you stupid moron

Verman posted:

My dog learned how to open the goddam lever handled doors in our apartment at 6 months old. Taking a poo poo had never been the same.

Sometimes I wish I had a retardog

Idiot dogs are the absolute best. I don't even have to close the door all the way to keep mine out of a room, he never figured out that it's possible to push a partially-open door open

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
cooked bones in general aren't super safe for dogs bc of splintering

vex figured out how to open those locking rubbermate containers

food vaults

how to take a goddamn gate off it's hinges

and somehow, how to get out of a roofed kennel made of chain link and cement

i still have no idea how he did the last one

he can also open any door with a lever handler and a simple turning lock and a couple weeks ago i caught him trying to figure out the barrel lock on the front door :sigh:

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2016

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
re: raw chicken bones, when I lived out in the country one of my neighbor's dogs would always come out and hang out with me and my dogs, and then she would eat his guinea hens whenever they came over too. I didn't mind because she was a p cool dog and those guinea hens liked to hang out under my bedroom window and make a godawful racket as soon as the sun came up. Anyway, she never had a problem and she'd eat the whole chicken bones and all.

Also yeah, I've never found a locking trash can that my heelers can't figure out. I think they think it's a puzzle toy. I've either kept my kitchen closed off or just kept the trash in the garage unless I was cooking and actively needed it nearby for trimmings and stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ausrotten posted:

he can also open any door with a lever handler and a simple turning lock and a couple weeks ago i caught him trying to figure out the barrel lock on the front door :sigh:

Clearly, Vex is Houdini reincarnated into dog form.

It's only a matter of time before he takes up safecracking, or steals your credit card to order dog treats off of Amazon.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
it sucks, i have this awesome outbuilding with 18 kennels and i cant put him in it because he flows through the fence like water. before i kept him in the all-chainlink kennel he'd just hulk out and run head first through the wooden fence because hey why bother jumping if you can use your head as a battering ram :shepface:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

it sucks, i have this awesome outbuilding with 18 kennels and i cant put him in it because he flows through the fence like water. before i kept him in the all-chainlink kennel he'd just hulk out and run head first through the wooden fence because hey why bother jumping if you can use your head as a battering ram :shepface:

I'm very jelly of your kennel. Its on my "list of stuff to do" for a new house for sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have you thought about putting a gopro out there and recording his escapes?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
no he's really well behaved in the house so i just leave him inside for the time being. the more he escapes the better he gets at it and our town has had some weird issues with break ins and methheads wandering into people's houses. i figure a big, loud as gently caress dog is probably a pretty good deterrent

i've been looking at how zoos build their wolf enclosures so at some point i'll fix his kennel up with jump guards and poo poo to keep him from climbing up the fence but at the moment keeping him inside isn't a big deal

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Warbird posted:

Well, I was going to talk about taking the beagle out on the river in the kayak, but you fellows seem occupied. But since I'm already here, anyone know any waterproof shock collars?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

cooked bones in general aren't super safe for dogs bc of splintering

vex figured out how to open those locking rubbermate containers

food vaults

how to take a goddamn gate off it's hinges

i love vex sfm

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
What am I going to expect when a yorkie just ate over $20 in BBQ teriyaki chicken from BWW? I leave it on the center of the table for 10 goddamn minutes to shave and poo poo, come back and it's gone. Dog even licked all the excess sauce.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

salt content of the teriyaki sauce could be a problem. how much sauce? keep an eye out for lethargy, vomiting etc.

call your vet.

the chicken will probably just make it poo poo a whole bunch.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 30, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I"m now the proud owner of a 9 week old puppy.

He's doing pretty well but it it's a long time since I've had a puppy and this is the first time in my working life that I've had one. So I have a few questions not covered by the op.

1)He already crates really well, as in when he's tired he heads off to his crate to go to bed. But I'm worried he's spending too much time in the crate especially as I head off to work at 7am and my wife doesn't get home till around 8:30. He's also getting feed by my wife and not by me in the morning even though I wake him up to pee and play before I go to work. I know he's still a puppy and it's good that he sleeps a lot and is safe but I worry.

2)How soon is too soon to start leash training him, I was thinking about starting him for next week but he might be too small and I can't find any good information on it. Right now he kind of runs free in the private park area of our complex while we are there but he can't do that forever. He's also meet the other dogs that live here due to this, which I know some vets say he shouldn't socialize at all till he's had all his shoots but then he would never get to go outside. Am I doing the right thing?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Let the whipping begin.

Start leash training and teaching him to walk properly asap. You will enjoy walking your dog so much more. Ask training should start the moment you bring him home.

As for the vaccinations, you want to be careful though it's not going to be the end of the world if he socializes here or there. Don't bring him to a dog park until he's had all his shots.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Verman posted:

Let the whipping begin.

Start leash training and teaching him to walk properly asap. You will enjoy walking your dog so much more. Ask training should start the moment you bring him home.

As for the vaccinations, you want to be careful though it's not going to be the end of the world if he socializes here or there. Don't bring him to a dog park until he's had all his shots.

Not a dog park, just kind of the grass area between the buildings of my complex (townhouse)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sbaldrick posted:

Not a dog park, just kind of the grass area between the buildings of my complex (townhouse)

you should be fine then, never too early to get em comfortable on a leash and start training housebreaking and basic basic expectations

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How trafficked is this grass by dog and their owners? I don't think it would be an issue, but I know the strip of grass we have at my place is pretty heavily used and I wouldn't take a unvaccinated pup on it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

1)He already crates really well, as in when he's tired he heads off to his crate to go to bed. But I'm worried he's spending too much time in the crate especially as I head off to work at 7am and my wife doesn't get home till around 8:30.

You wife doesn't get home until 8:30am or pm?. I really hope it's not pm.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You wife doesn't get home until 8:30am or pm?. I really hope it's not pm.

8:30am, he's alone for about an hour and a half a day

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, just checking :D

I would start leash training straight away. Even indoors, so he gets used to wearing it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

sbaldrick posted:

8:30am, he's alone for about an hour and a half a day

I don't see why that would be an issue. Play with her for a bit before you leave for work and then he can nap in his crate for awhile as puppies should.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fuckface 4: In 3D

So, an unexpected package came in the mail today. Chinese sender. Guess what was inside.

Someone has a sense of humor. The brother-in-law(in-law) doesn't know anything about it, nor does my fiance or her sister. So now I'm getting random husky pillows (of what I think is a custom pillow with his big dumb face on it) sent to my name and address. poo poo's weird.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 1, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

Fuckface 4: In 3D

So, an unexpected package came in the mail today. Chinese sender. Guess what was inside.

Someone has a sense of humor. The brother-in-law(in-law) doesn't know anything about it, nor does my fiance or her sister. So now I'm getting random husky pillows (of what I think is a custom pillow with his big dumb face on it) sent to my name and address. poo poo's weird.

:perfect:

Caxixi
Sep 20, 2012
I recently adopted a 3 year old German Shepherd mix. She's absolutely amazing in so many ways, and has already picked up basic training commands. I've had her for about a month, butt recently she's started freaking out around other dogs. I know she came from a home with multiple other dogs and cats and she's fine with my cat, but when she sees a dog on our walks she starts barking and pulling on her leash. Up until now she's always walked fine on a leash (no pulling) and while she's been timid when she sees another dog, she hasn't ever barked. Now when she sees another dog she'll ignore my commands and freak out. It's also summer in Arizona so the only time it's cool enough to go outside is when everyone else is walking their dogs.

I'm willing to fork over some money for professional training, but I'd like to know if there's anything I can fix on my end that's making her this way or if there's anything I can do to prevent this.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

How's her food drive?

Go check out the Dog Training Megathread for plenty of talk on this. In short, she's anxious about the presence of other dogs. At first, she likely tried to avoid (and was probably a bit shut down due to stress of being in a new home). Now, since avoiding other dogs didn't likely work (as there are still dogs around, and maybe approaching her when she's signaling for them not to), she's escalated to a more obvious "stay the hell away" display in order to protect her bubble. It's a fear-based reaction.

So you can address it by respecting what she's asking for, and giving her plenty of space from other dogs. Then begin to classically condition her to associate the presence of (far off) dogs with oodles of food. The presence of tasty food should be much more powerful than the anxiety of a dog at a distance, otherwise it won't work. It doesn't matter if she's barking or not paying attention to you, just work hard to create the dogs = food association.

Working with a trainer (who opts to use food, not punishment, to control behaviour) will likely make this process easier on you, so I'd recommend giving one a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ok, just checking :D

I would start leash training straight away. Even indoors, so he gets used to wearing it.

We started yesterday and it's going pretty well, he's scratching at his collar but beyond that he liked it for walks.

Carmant posted:

I don't see why that would be an issue. Play with her for a bit before you leave for work and then he can nap in his crate for awhile as puppies should.

That's currently the plan.

How long is too long for a nap in the crate. He won't yet really sleep at our feet and tends to wander back to his crate for a nap after about an hour of play.