Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My crackpot theories from this episode:

1) Mr. Robot had Tyrell moved into Susan Jacobs' house.

2) The "man and the girl" that Whiterose and her subordinate discuss are Mobley and Trenton.

3) Angela is Dom's ungendered ex-partner from her speech to Whiterose in China, which is how Dom was able to get away with barging into a suspect's apartment and talking to her so frankly and intimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I adore this show but the one part that always cracks me up is how guilty and deer-in-headlights Angela looks whenever she does ANYTHINGS suspicious. Last night's ep when she was in her own office, anytime someone walked by she gave them the frozen bug-eye stare.

[Ed] there was a tweet on Aug 10 from Esmail about watching the ep live with commercials. What'd I miss?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 1, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

[Ed] there was a tweet on Aug 10 from Esmail about watching the ep live with commercials. What'd I miss?

Probably the sitcom episode which instead of a regular commercial break they played 90s commercials instead.

hatelull posted:

Is there a chance Cisco found the E-Corp lady somehow alive? Not really sure what purpose that would serve, other than to complicate things even MORE though.

Just to confirm, it's the plant E-Corp owns but is somehow linked to the Chinese that got Elliot's dad and Angela's mom killed right? I was assuming it was a nuclear power facility, but based on the conversation with NotWhiteroseAtTheMoment and the CEO there's something super not-legit going on right?

Nah, she was face down in water and unless they pulled her out right away she is totally dead.

For the plant there is definitely something fishy considering the big sticking point for the settlement was that E-Corp was refusing outside inspection.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hey y'all they put the ecorp lady in the incinerator. But she could totes be alive. I think its more likely that Cisco found Trent or Mobley at the house, bound and gagged.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I was thinking that as well. The cliffhanger with Darlene nearly threw me off though. The episode was very creepy and stank of death.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

hope and vaseline posted:

Hey y'all they put the ecorp lady in the incinerator. But she could totes be alive. I think its more likely that Cisco found Trent or Mobley at the house, bound and gagged.

they went back to the pad to get their gently caress on in peace.

read the signs, people.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Cisco caught dissociative identity disorder from Elliot and found his own dead father in the apartment.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This show is good

Though I have no idea what this season is building up to or what the finale will be about

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm expecting nothing less than Hannibal's second finale at this point. The whole season's basically been ratcheting up the tension on everybody.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/comtruise/status/771219160844017664

:3:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
So I just binged through both seasons and I think it's safe to say that the entire show is just an elaborate fantasy an autistic Elliot made up while staring into a snow globe with an E Corp building inside.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I right that generally any time the NYC subway is shown in film, it's not actually shot there due to some rules? Because the subway trains there have a really distinctive sound signature as they pull out and you can hear it in the scene where Elliot/Darlene sit down and it leaves the station. So either it's done somewhere where they have the legit trains, or the sound people are insanely good with tiny details. I know one of those guys posts here, so intrigued.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I right that generally any time the NYC subway is shown in film, it's not actually shot there due to some rules? Because the subway trains there have a really distinctive sound signature as they pull out and you can hear it in the scene where Elliot/Darlene sit down and it leaves the station. So either it's done somewhere where they have the legit trains, or the sound people are insanely good with tiny details. I know one of those guys posts here, so intrigued.

Iirc NYC has an abandoned/unused section of subway they rent to film productions.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I noticed a greenscreen in at least one of the subway shots

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

EL BROMANCE posted:

One of the sound guys posted in the thread earlier, they actually are that good with the tiny details. I think he said they sat down there for a while getting the sounds of the subway correct.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

hatelull posted:

Is there a chance Cisco found the E-Corp lady somehow alive? Not really sure what purpose that would serve, other than to complicate things even MORE though.

Just to confirm, it's the plant E-Corp owns but is somehow linked to the Chinese that got Elliot's dad and Angela's mom killed right? I was assuming it was a nuclear power facility, but based on the conversation with NotWhiteroseAtTheMoment and the CEO there's something super not-legit going on right?

The E-Corp lady that was shoved into an incinerator?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How many of the songs used in the show are on the google music sound track? I love the music but a quick glance suggests its all show original music

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Jose posted:

How many of the songs used in the show are on the google music sound track? I love the music but a quick glance suggests its all show original music

None of the licensed music is on the Mr Robot OST (Vol 1 & 2). It's all original compositions by Mac Quayle.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Megaspel posted:

So I just binged through both seasons and I think it's safe to say that the entire show is just an elaborate fantasy an autistic Elliot made up while staring into a snow globe with an E Corp building inside.

I mean, ultimately, it *is* just a fictional story they are telling, which is what the whole St. Elsewhere ending was about. So you're not that far off, honestly. Still, stories are the currency of culture, so it's good to see stories that don't tread the same ground all the time.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

HA I knew the actual real mom was going to show up. At least you replied with substance unlike that cuntface that just said "no".

Yeah that was weirdly dismissive response to the very justifiable expectation that more about the RealMom should be revealed, esp since Esmail kept having Abusive/Fantasy/Flashback/Mom showing up every third episode.

This episode reminded me of how goddamn LONELY Elliot is. We got to see him be socially inept and awkward around his own sister, panicky on the subway, ect. When he saw and thanked his Mom it was really touching to see Elliot finally reach out to real flesh-and-blood person, but all the more sad that he got no response. There is something really off about the Mom, obviously, and I think what we've been led to believe about her is partly fabricated. There is no way Mr.Alderson simply watched his cold, emotionless husk of a wife beat and insult his children.

The mother is having at least some of the negative stuff projected onto her by Mr.Robot, I think, who was behind her cartoonishly evil portrayal in the dated sitcom sequence. His absence in the Mother's apartment was palpable especially since we've come to see Mr.Robot as the guy who helped Elliot face the violence and isolation of prison- yet he thanked his Mom for getting him through it in the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krime posted:

Was expecting a "Bonsoir, Elliot." At the end there

Yeah, mega missed opportunity there. :(

Maybe Tyrell and his wife are the same person!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have this nagging feeling that they are building up to something completely fictional. The show has been pretty grounded in reality, but I really just have a feeling they are going either sci-fi or supernatural with Washington Township. Wether they do or don't, I will be entertained.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Elliott's ma probably went schizo, beat them all up and then got zapped/institutionalized when he was a kid or perhaps dad's death drove her further bonkers.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

precision posted:

Maybe Tyrell and his wife are the same person!

Would make make a lot of sense as to why the company is unwilling to pay out the life insurance claim. Takes balls to walk into work and say "Hello, I'm dead. I'd like a big check, please."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Eukodol posted:

Would make make a lot of sense as to why the company is unwilling to pay out the life insurance claim. Takes balls to walk into work and say "Hello, I'm dead. I'd like a big check, please."

The wife pegged a gay guy in the butt hole to hack his phone

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Really cool to hear PiL's Order of Death during the cold open. "This is what you want, this is what you get." This show is on point with its music this season.

mng posted:

"Oh that's Hot Carla. If you're a pyro, she's your chick with a dick, know what I'm saying? Probably not."

God drat I love Leon.
He's the best character this season. I love his obsession with 90s TV. I was cracking up when he started talking about Paul Reiser.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I deleted the episode without thinking, but wasn't there someone upstairs/coming down behind Cisco while his attention was on the couch?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Makeup is doing a great job highlighting the facial similarities between Elliot and Darlene. This episode especially, they truly look like siblings.

Still a mega stretch to imagine that either of them are genetically linked to Christian Slater, though.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I deleted the episode without thinking, but wasn't there someone upstairs/coming down behind Cisco while his attention was on the couch?

Not that I can see.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah I thought I saw something too, but it might have been a reflection of something in the glass?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't the last episode end with Trenton starting at someone but of course we didn't get to see who? And now this episode it did it twice. I'm quickly losing patience for these Lost level bullshit cliffhangers.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

precision posted:

Makeup is doing a great job highlighting the facial similarities between Elliot and Darlene. This episode especially, they truly look like siblings.

Still a mega stretch to imagine that either of them are genetically linked to Christian Slater, though.

All I can see when I look at Darlene is a young Sandra Bernhard.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Can we please start some kind of rallying cry for Esmail to hear that good television does not require cliffhangers because that poo poo is trite, stale, and getting the gently caress on my nerves. I'm going to watch next week, don't worry, you don't need to cliffhanger me into it and your flailing ratings suggest it's not really hooking people more than making them too frustrated to care anymore. Christ.

As for Cisco, the movement you saw behind him was lights from traffic outside the front of the apartment. What he's finding? Well, it sounds like a dude jerkin' off. As for who was at Darlene's door, it's Angela. You know how I know? Because Angela's the only person to let Darlene stand there at the door for that long without saying anything or doing anything.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I feel like he uses cliffhangers well. He wrapped up the first season pretty well, and a week-to-week one isn't that bad. I think they are intentionally used to add tension, because I don't feel like he often uses them. I have a feeling the triple hanger will have good payoff next week, and then no one will mind, after the fact, that this week ended in one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't mind the use of them, but you can tell that it's probably not someone that interesting at the door because it would be a much better cliffhanger to reveal who it was otherwise. Like, if it was Tyrell or something, then that's much better being the last shot of an episode rather than the first shot of the next one.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

Not that I can see.

I thought there was as well when I first watched it but on rewatch it's just lights from passing cars that are hitting the stair case. Makes it look like the shadow of someone descending the stair case.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I didn't mind the cliffhangers because it is pretty funny that they finally showed who was knocking on Elliott's door and then tossed more at you in the same episode.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Everyone called it who said Craig Robinson was the warden.

It must be either Trenton, The lonely goon, or Wellick in the smart house. I hope that glasses goon is dead. It was a crime that Romero had to go, a man who had the wherewithal to keep his own small drug dealing operation together, some of which was buying weed for his mom for her cataracts. It ate away at me that Romero was gone and we still had to put up with screen time/dialogue from old Androids are faster McCheeseburgers.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
They love their cliffhangers so much, yet throw so many things in your face and are equally proud of both of these things. I'll always love the drat show, though.

@.@

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Paperhouse posted:

I don't mind the use of them, but you can tell that it's probably not someone that interesting at the door because it would be a much better cliffhanger to reveal who it was otherwise. Like, if it was Tyrell or something, then that's much better being the last shot of an episode rather than the first shot of the next one.

Or, and I can't think of any examples of this at all, they want you to know that something happened but don't want you to know the result yet to make the story better down the road.

• Locked thread