Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Strudel Man posted:

That's the intended method, though in this case, my doctor was a horse because my character was brought up by a horse chancellor, and became horse-cultured himself. Thus the physicians he hires are naturally horses, unless another culture is specified.

Also take extra care to notice that your dude is running around naked because he thinks he is a horse :D

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Groogy posted:

Also take extra care to notice that your dude is running around naked because he thinks he is a horse :D
But of course.

(Incidentally, merchant republic clothing overrides this, including in actual horses.)

Vaguely disappointed though that there aren't any horse culture unique buildings.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Horse cultural retinues, too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Watch them just be heavy infantry.

e: Which is a perfectly cromulent retinue type, it's just most people would probably expect cavalry. But why would the horses want people riding them?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Black Death appeared around 1070 with it set to Random on a 867 start. It managed to make it all the way to Romania in two years after starting in Bengal. I had a hospital with all the fixins but the last hospital level upgrade, so with my prosperity my capital had 30% disease resistance. It held the plague off for almost a year after it reached a neighbouring province. Just long enough for it to reach my wife in Provence and kill her before it even threatened me. :v: All in all I don't think it was worth the immense amount of money it took to build it up, but I had money to burn. Now that it's here my massive wealth won't do a drat thing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Hey I did Glitterhoof on my freetime, it wasn't meant to be a actual playable culture, just a funny stupid thing.
I didn't even think people would want unique cultural buildings or retinues...

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Vaguely disappointed though that there aren't any horse culture unique buildings.

Roland Jones posted:

Horse cultural retinues, too.

I'd pony up for that DLC!

Edit: NOOOOOO!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groogy posted:

Hey I did Glitterhoof on my freetime, it wasn't meant to be a actual playable culture, just a funny stupid thing.
I didn't even think people would want unique cultural buildings or retinues...

I'm half-joking; it's just something that would be funny, though it'll probably show up as a mod sooner or later. Though I would love a (semi)official thing.

Frogfingers posted:

I'd pony up for that DLC!

Edit: NOOOOOO!

DLC more controversial than Sunset Invasion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 1, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Being the highlander is a sad life. You have to watch generation after generation of your children die to different horrible diseases or worse the catastrophic gently caress ups while trying to cure those diseases.

I was possessed for a bit and was really hoping to be an immortal devil spawn but it wasn't meant to be.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm hoping to add some extra events for Immortals, maybe allow them to use the Suicide decision after a while too, it's just a lonely life at the moment.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

I'm hoping to add some extra events for Immortals, maybe allow them to use the Suicide decision after a while too, it's just a lonely life at the moment.

The immortal event chain is a player-only thing, right? So the player is guaranteed to be the only one in the world? I guess unless it's a multiplayer game.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Would be cool if you were forced to duel any new immortal that popped up. Whoever wins gains a personal combat/martial bonus with a head counter. :unsmigghh:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The British Isles have put forth a cure for the plague: Slow Fever

It worked surprisingly well. The plague's effect on attrition and income really hurts, my retinues almost got choked into nothingness just sitting on my capital at peace.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Odobenidae posted:

The British Isles have put forth a cure for the plague: Slow Fever

It worked surprisingly well. The plague's effect on attrition and income really hurts, my retinues almost got choked into nothingness just sitting on my capital at peace.

Ahahaha, that's amazing.

Darkrenown posted:

That would be pretty cool. I hope I get the immortality event again sometime; only saw it once so far but I haven't been playing too much so it makes sense. Can it fire multiple times in one game, or is your first shot your only one, whether for that character or for that save as a whole?

Unrelated, what are some good starts for learning to play as a vassal, and are there good guides or important tips for it? I want to try being a 769 Zoroastrian sometime but most are not independent, and it seems like a rather hostile situation for my first time playing a vassal. I have all the major DLC, if that matters.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 1, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The immortal event chain is a player-only thing, right? So the player is guaranteed to be the only one in the world?

There's an achievement for killing an immortal character, which seems like it'd be difficult to get in ironman if immortality was player-only.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The path to the Great Indian Khaganate is not without tribulations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

Hey, DR, would it be possible for us to get a simple terrain mapmode in the game at some point? EUIV's is super useful at this point and I'm really feeling the lack here.

(Immortals definitely need some way to desperately search for a way to make their friends and family immortal/go slowly mad over aeons as everyone they ever love ends up dying and leaving them behind :unsmigghh:)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jabor posted:

There's an achievement for killing an immortal character, which seems like it'd be difficult to get in ironman if immortality was player-only.

The actual immortality chain is player only at the moment, although we might add a game rule to go hog wild, but you can meet some immortals to murder as part of it.

Simple terrain map, I doubt will happen. I can see the use, but it's unlikely it'll get any code time. Not impossible, mind.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some more questions. First, how do realm and inheritance laws apply when it comes to your lower titles and those of your vassals? Could, for example, my vassals take away women's rights in their realms even if I've granted them on a kingdom/empire-wide level, or do the laws I pass overrule their own?

Also, how is distance measured in the game? Apparently quite a few things care about distance, but I have no idea how far 100 units are and such.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Odobenidae posted:

Oh man I think they fixed the Shia uprising event. They now spawn with ~20% more troops then the target has, so it actually has a chance of succeeding.

Crusader Kings 2: Shia le Buffed

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

Simple terrain map, I doubt will happen. I can see the use, but it's unlikely it'll get any code time. Not impossible, mind.

:smith:

How expensive is a new mapmode, anyway?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Also, how is distance measured in the game? Apparently quite a few things care about distance, but I have no idea how far 100 units are and such.

It calculates based on pixels in the data map modified by a conversion value in defines if I remember correctly. So 10 pixels in data map might be 1000km's or some such.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Autonomous Monster posted:

(Immortals definitely need some way to desperately search for a way to make their friends and family immortal/go slowly mad over aeons as everyone they ever love ends up dying and leaving them behind :unsmigghh:)

I want the option to share immortality with my cat/hunting dog.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dareon posted:

I want the option to share immortality with my cat/hunting dog. Glitterhoof

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It kinda irks me that you can build a loving pyramid for your hunting dog when it dies but Glitterhoof is just left in the mud like a peasant. :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

It kinda irks me that you can build a loving pyramid for your hunting dog when it dies but Glitterhoof is just left in the mud like a peasant. :smith:
You can scream yourself hoarse over it or you know, you can just do a little event, maybe a variant of the "close friend dies" one

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You can scream yourself hoarse over it or you know, you can just do a little event, maybe a variant of the "close friend dies" one

But I have so much stuff to do, I have all the stuff at work, my hobby game project and my LP.
I'll beg on Darkrenown until he stops saying Neigh.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

But I have so much stuff to do, I have all the stuff at work, my hobby game project and my LP.
I'll beg on Darkrenown until he stops saying Neigh.
You don't want to saddle him with more work but it's lame not to have it right?

Also, change the custom rules so I can have faster culture conversion for everything, not just melting pots and religious conversion, but also more adventurers and provincial revolts.

I want to see the world burn Groogy

Edit: Wait whoaaahhh, custom names I give dynasties can get added to the general list? Wasn't expecting to see the Berber Kebabi again

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 1, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Some more questions. First, how do realm and inheritance laws apply when it comes to your lower titles and those of your vassals? Could, for example, my vassals take away women's rights in their realms even if I've granted them on a kingdom/empire-wide level, or do the laws I pass overrule their own?

Inheritance laws for all your lower titles follow the same laws as your primary. I think elective is different in that if you lose the election to someone not in your dynasty you'll only lose the primary title rather than all your titles (it might steal one of your counties too if the election winner doesn't have any land). If you have other titles that are equal in rank to your primary, they have their own inheritance laws. Kingdoms will also always have separate inheritance laws, even if you're an emperor. Vassals will always have their own inheritance laws, although Reaper's Due added in the ability to demand that they switch to Gavelkind if they are using something else. If you ever aren't sure how a title will be inherited, just mouse over the coat of arms - it will tell you the inheritance laws for that title and list the top five in line for it.

For laws like women's rights or council power, those only apply to your own titles - your vassals have their own realm laws which will overrule your own.

If you want to see how far away something is, the county tooltip that appears when you mouse over a county will say how far away it is from your currently selected county.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 1, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Roland Jones posted:

Count, dukes and kings have full control over the inheritance laws for the titles they hold. Doesn't matter what the laws are for the empire/kingdom they are located in. AI Vassals will frequently change inheritance laws to primogeniture if given a title that currently has elective. But the vassals and council of the AI may also plot and force change inheritance laws, usually from primogeniture/gavelkind into elective.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Could one chain be getting paranoid about getting older even though you aren't. "Oh Christ that hair wasn't grey yesterday, it hasn't been grey for 100 years!" and so you start bathing and drinking blood, leading to a myth that your a vampire when really you're just a plain old immortal god king?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Omnicarus posted:

Could one chain be getting paranoid about getting older even though you aren't. "Oh Christ that hair wasn't grey yesterday, it hasn't been grey for 100 years!" and so you start bathing and drinking blood, leading to a myth that your a vampire when really you're just a plain old immortal god king?

Ye Tapestry of Dorian R. could be an interesting event chain.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Inheritance laws for all your lower titles follow the same laws as your primary. I think elective is different in that if you lose the election to someone not in your dynasty you'll only lose the primary title rather than all your titles (it might steal one of your counties too if the election winner doesn't have any land). If you have other titles that are equal in rank to your primary, they have their own inheritance laws. Kingdoms will also always have separate inheritance laws, even if you're an emperor. Vassals will always have their own inheritance laws, although Reaper's Due added in the ability to demand that they switch to Gavelkind if they are using something else. If you ever aren't sure how a title will be inherited, just mouse over the coat of arms - it will tell you the inheritance laws for that title and list the top five in line for it.

For laws like women's rights or council power, those only apply to your own titles - your vassals have their own realm laws which will overrule your own.

TjyvTompa posted:

Count, dukes and kings have full control over the inheritance laws for the titles they hold. Doesn't matter what the laws are for the empire/kingdom they are located in. AI Vassals will frequently change inheritance laws to primogeniture if given a title that currently has elective. But the vassals and council of the AI may also plot and force change inheritance laws, usually from primogeniture/gavelkind into elective.

Ah. Hm. Crud, then seeing women inherit in my lands below me and stuff might not happen so much, unless the titles I pass out keep the laws I set and my vassals don't compulsively lower Status of Women because they're dicks like that. Depending on how the AI prioritizes messing with those, I guess; does it care about things like shifting to lower Status of Women or away from Absolute Cognatic inheritance, or does it just not like to move towards them on its own?

quote:

If you want to see how far away something is, the county tooltip that appears when you mouse over a county will say how far away it is from your currently selected county.

Okay, thanks. That's useful.

Also, semi-related question, what's a good place for noble obligations to be? I know I want money out of my burghers but nobles now provide decent gold apparently, at least according to what I saw being said here, so shifting them towards troops might not be the decision anymore, I guess.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Roland Jones posted:

Ah. Hm. Crud, then seeing women inherit in my lands below me and stuff might not happen so much, unless the titles I pass out keep the laws I set and my vassals don't compulsively lower Status of Women because they're dicks like that. Depending on how the AI prioritizes messing with those, I guess; does it care about things like shifting to lower Status of Women or away from Absolute Cognatic inheritance, or does it just not like to move towards them on its own?

Okay, thanks. That's useful.

Also, semi-related question, what's a good place for noble obligations to be? I know I want money out of my burghers but nobles now provide decent gold apparently, at least according to what I saw being said here, so shifting them towards troops might not be the decision anymore, I guess.

The AI usually do not prioritize changing laws regarding gender in my experience. They usually put all effort in changing the inheritance law to elective or primogeniture and back.

For all obligations I would put money first, you will get the most soldiers out of your own demesne anyway. Try to have as many castles in the same counties as possible. For example instead of controlling 4 counties you want to have 1 county with 3 castles and another county so that you get the max out of your raise soldiers and raise taxes thingys.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Son of a bitch.

I've lost my previous two rulers due to unknown circumstances. And now I now what happened.

My chancellor's been their friend, and it turns out that he's a bloody cannibal! What's worse, he's my friend, too... And I'm about to attend one of his parties!

Sheesh, anything I can do to get out of this? I can't go into hiding, I can't imprison him.. And my current guy's too good to be eaten this early! Gah! :(

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Probably modder fodder, but I would love events in the game to actually recognize you were immortal. How many times is my doge going to get outed for being gay? He's been gay for a hundred years now...

Nobody notices your immortal, too. It seems almost like it could be a different playstyle, where you can either try to keep it secret, go in hiding, 'die' then come back 'as your heir' every so often. Or, you could come out an admit being immortal, maybe even try to start your own god-king pagan religion, course, you'd get a lot of outside people hating/envying you and wanting to kill you.

Maybe Elective Monarchy/Merchant Republics could revolt if you're immortal and don't hold elections every X years.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 1, 2016

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Fatimids have a gigantic vassal merc company that they can keep in the field indefinitely and that regenerates its numbers fairly quickly.

Shucks. Any way to break them permanently?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You sure accumulate a lot of traits and modifiers as an immortal

Started getting tired of the character after 2 centuries, so I started asking my physician to experiment on me every time I got the sniffles and after a couple of years I lost an eye a hand and a face, but I got this sweet golden mask which almost negates the attraction penalty. :c00lbutt:
My biggest annoyance is I've still got elective gavelkind and I can't change out of it since I changed to ag-cog 150 years ago :argh:
(Edit: That solved itself when I created an empire, but it should still be changed to once per ruler or every 50 years.)
And whenever I become a berserker it only lasts for a couple of days before I lose it due to age.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do events that give you "one-eyed" make you "blinded" instead if you already have one eye? It seems like they should. Maybe halve the odds of them triggering because you might get hit in the eye you already lost instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It's been nearly a century and Antioch still hasn't culture swapped to Armenian - do I need to be independent for the event to fire? I've got the whole duchy and the county borders an Armenian province...does the crown focus help?

On another note I can't wait until mods start updating for this, want to see what HIP is going to do with it. I've been playing with that one so long that vanilla is a bit refreshing, but I do miss the deeper faction system and the expanded ambitions. Only having three or four ambitions to choose from is sad.

Oh I have another question if anyone knows, I got elected Emperor of Byzantium as the king of Armenia + leige of Azerbaijan, Cilicia, Tabriz, Kartli, and Trebizond. Why did the latter duchies become direct vassals of the new emperor when my guy died? How could I avoid that? It hadn't been enough time to de jure drift them into my kingdom (and I probably have to be independent? Idk) but it seems illogical that the next emp gets all the duchies I worked so hard to subjugate. I was left with just Armenia proper and the duchy of Antioch, I assume I kept the latter only because it was my capital! It was bullshit and I'm considering consoling them all back into my clutches even tho I've been pretty good about not cheating this run. It's just unacceptable.

• Locked thread