Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

I dunno why everyone is so hung up on the idea GBS needs to be funny.

I get it that this is a comedy forum, but justifying every complaint against GBS with "x isn't funny" or "if you rely on x, your comedy is weak" is not helpful.

GBS is a place to decompress and vent about the world. Decompressing is a great avenue for comedy because we find solace in humor and pointing out the absurdity of the lovely things in our lives, but some of the most fun I've had in GBS haven't been "funny" threads at all.

GBS stands for "general bullshit" and I approach it the same way I approach bullshiting with my IRL friends. Sometimes you laugh together, or shoot the poo poo about movies or videogames or stupid ideas. Sometimes the conversation turns really serious and profound, or there's a heated argument. And sometimes you just need a sounding board to bitch about your day.

All types and topics of discussion should be welcome here and constantly pressuring GBS to be "funny" does much more harm than good. Just let people be and the funny will happen.

-What GBS means to me, by Applewhite.

applewhite has good and reasoned opinions and therefore should never be a mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
apllewhite is good

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Luvcow posted:

you don't have to act like a dick at every possible opportunity

but i personally have never spoiled anything for anyone and try and be pretty nice to people who aren't total maroons

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

all im saying is if lowtax cares about his forum quality dropping and no new members joining then stop doing things that new make people stay far, far away from the Something Awful forums

I wish the avatar incident would have made you stay far far away from the Dorkroom, you big baby.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Just a friendly reminder that there exists a character called 'Kevin' Lannister

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

big shags posted:

Just a friendly reminder that there exists a character called 'Kevin' Lannister

Pretty sure it's Keven or Kevan. Just like with the Hunger Games no one has a 'proper' name in that series.

It probably really appeals to today's parents who were originally considering a variation on "unique" for their daughter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

Don't you and Apple white still post here all the time though? Or at least a lot in the last six months that I can remember

Yes I still post in GBS all the time and what's more I love GBS. I was "in character" a s the kids say.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Game of Thrones isn't fun to spoil anymore because the spoilers have to wait until the show airs instead of pulling them from the book, and then it doesn't have as much of an impact because most people that use the Internet and are so emotionally invested in the show have wised up enough to stay off it until they've watched it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
GBS is a cool place to hang out and shoot the poo poo with other like-minded Internet People

but like maybe give the desperate burns on people Liking A Thing a rest I guess people

like something as trivial as "being kind of a dick, just a little but deffo being a dick" doesn't feel like the kind of thing you should probate people over, people just have to choose not to do it

like at least not to the point of it being the tiresome default response to... well almost anything

hey OP did you know that I, Forums Poster #8772, do not care and I want you to know about it? It is v important that you know OK thnx bye

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Not liking things is something of a running gag and I've never let it discourage me from admitting to liking a thing because I know I'm surrounded by like-minded nerds who are all into the exact same stuff.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Not liking things is something of a running gag and I've never let it discourage me from admitting to liking a thing because I know I'm surrounded by like-minded nerds who are all into the exact same stuff.

im a homosexual

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

dad gay. so what posted:

im a homosexual

hosed up if true

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

im a homosexual

Liking men is for children.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Liking men is for children.

im a girl :confused:

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
hello

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Boobs are for babies.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hello Coral

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

domn ,iod if I dof

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I had a seizure

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Captain Yossarian posted:

I had a seizure
even dogs who didn't check the wii pregame warnings go to heaven despite being dumb af god bless

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Triggered posted:

"Hmmm SA has a long history of spoiling shows, films and books. Let me head over to SA to see whats going on there today" :downsbravo:

Hmm I like a thing, I better literally hermetically seal myself off from the outside world in case someone spoils it in an unrelated post on a forum I frequent

EDIT: I don't give a poo poo about spoilers but the dogpile on that guy for bringing it up (even though spoilers themselves wasn't his direct point) is actually a super good example of the dumb and pointless hostility that drives people away hth

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 1, 2016

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol i'm gonna spoil the next season of got in gbs. just keep reading gbs and see what happens.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

GBS stands for "general bullshit" and I approach it the same way I approach bullshiting with my IRL friends. Sometimes you laugh together, or shoot the poo poo about movies or videogames or stupid ideas. Sometimes the conversation turns really serious and profound, or there's a heated argument. And sometimes you just need a sounding board to bitch about your day.

i agree

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kaedric posted:

Hmm I like a thing, I better literally hermetically seal myself off from the outside world in case someone spoils it in an unrelated post on a forum I frequent

EDIT: I don't give a poo poo about spoilers but the dogpile on that guy for bringing it up (even though spoilers themselves wasn't his direct point) is actually a super good example of the dumb and pointless hostility that drives people away hth

we aggressively punish stupidity which is good but sometimes it goes a bit far

like an autoimmune disease in forums form

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dumbledore dies at the end.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Kaedric posted:

Its called having a bit of self control, if I don't want something spoilered, I don't go to places that I'm highly likely to see spoilers. SA is a place that allows spoilers to be displayed, its not loving rocket science is it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Kaedric posted:

Spoilers and the reaction to complaining about them was his entire point

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People don't want to put up with annoying poo poo like spoilers in forum/thread titles and they especially don't want to put up with getting mocked for finding it irritating.

But please, continue to both cry about spoilers, cry about people that tell you to stop crying and then try and blame people that are just making fun of something (you crying) for being what is wrong with the forums and not the thin skinned crybabies that break down at ":qq: forums hostility :qq:" because someone spoiled a television show for them and made fun of them for getting mad.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im gonna put on an iron shirt
and chase spoilers out of earth

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
good things:

gbs
dark souls
overwatch

bad things:

qcs
estoc
mei

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
dumbledore kills snape

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is bad.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it written in play form or is it a proper novel?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Is it written in play form or is it a proper novel?

play form

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ugh

prolly just gonna read a plot summary one day

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Harry's son Dumbledore Snape goes back in time and accidentally impregnates Draco's wife with voldemort's baby.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Moridin920 posted:

ugh

prolly just gonna read a plot summary one day

harry potter is a bad father and his son's a prick

that's about it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
harry is a bit of a chad minicock in general

snape is right he is an arrogant little bitch with no skills to back it up lol

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
I own a Harry Potter t-shirt, I wear it whenever I need to start a little magic with my wand.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

His son with the initials "ASP" gets sorted into Slytherin. Rowling is the queen of subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
ASP is short for "Aspbergers"

• Locked thread