Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Every time I go back to Civ V now I'm reminded of how much I hate the diplomacy of spying.

I got caught spying? Computer tells me off and I get a diplomatic penalty.
I catch someone else spying on me? If I tell the computer off I get a diplomatic penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Espionage in Civ 5 is horribly unfun and probably the least engaging mechanic in the entire game and I'd rather they just left it out of Civ 6 for good. Granted I don't play on Diety so maybe there's some higher level strategy involving spies(I don't think there is), but on Emperor I usually just set one spy to counterespionage in my capital, and the rest to rig elections in city states I want to stay friendly with and then don't touch them for the rest of the game. At least 4 forced you to dedicate a part of your economy to espionage production and had some vaguely interesting or useful things to do with it. gently caress me what a badly designed game mechanic.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DarthJeebus posted:

Espionage in Civ 5 is horribly unfun and probably the least engaging mechanic in the entire game and I'd rather they just left it out of Civ 6 for good. Granted I don't play on Diety so maybe there's some higher level strategy involving spies(I don't think there is), but on Emperor I usually just set one spy to counterespionage in my capital, and the rest to rig elections in city states I want to stay friendly with and then don't touch them for the rest of the game. At least 4 forced you to dedicate a part of your economy to espionage production and had some vaguely interesting or useful things to do with it. gently caress me what a badly designed game mechanic.

Even on King I find it worth it to put the first spy in other capitals to steal some techs and catch up. Otherwise I just do what you do until I get the tech that gives me extra delegates for diplomats.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DarthJeebus posted:

Actually it is extremely cool, and good.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Edit: Never mind, didn't mean to derail

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 1, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Actually it is extremely cool, and good.

Beyond Earth did espionage much better.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Espionage is, was, and ever shall be horrible in all strategy games. Even Soren and Shafer have both admitted they think it's a fundamentally unworkable mechanic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Beyond Earth did espionage much better.

It was better in concept maybe. In execution it was really bad. Maybe even worse.

gently caress intrigue levels forever.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with Espionage is that any implementation that actually lets you do the cool stuff the term implies is probably going to also be incredibly unfun when used against you and arbitrarily luck-based. Everyone is fine with the idea of sending spies out to sabotage their neighbor and ruin their poo poo right up to the point where it dawns on them that they can also be the victims of such tomfoolery.

The best solution is actually what Civ 5 did in that you don't really hurt other players with espionage, you simply improve your own situation via gathering important information and by tech stealing. Yes there's couping city states but that's more of an indirect means of inflicting harm. Of course despite the solution being workable, it now suffers from the problem of being entirely passive and without much in the way of player agency. You don't get to do any cool underhanded spy stuff, you just set up a task and hopefully benefit from it 20 turns down the line.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Every time you send out a spy the game should boot Sid Meier's Covert Action. :v:

Slightly more serious proposal, how about spies being available only as great persons?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Or maybe CiV's system as a base, with Great Spies being an occasional treat that can do all the invasive poo poo?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

There seems to be a "Great Work Heist" spy mission, so espionage in Civ VI is going to be of the loving-each-other variety.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is that true, there is art theft? If so, I hope it will be a just cause for war.

I wonder if the use of nukes are seperate from the new casus belli thing. Or if it's like before where war simply means war, even if I fling a couple of dozen nukes around.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I hope Carmen Sandiego is a great person and she can steal wonders.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I hope Carmen Sandiego is a great person and she can steal wonders.

From any age, and you have to build a temporal detective agency to discover her and stop her in the appropriate age.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rexides posted:

There seems to be a "Great Work Heist" spy mission, so espionage in Civ VI is going to be of the loving-each-other variety.

:v: "Hey guys, come to our museum to check out our Mona Lisa! It's attracting all kinds of tourism!"
:raise: "Wait, didn't Morocco used to have the Mona Lisa? What happened to it?"

I'm just saying, stealing something and then putting it on public display might not be the best idea. Though I guess they could give you the option to run a private auction -- convert another civ's great work into a lump sum of cash.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:v: "Hey guys, come to our museum to check out our Mona Lisa! It's attracting all kinds of tourism!"

I'm just saying, stealing something and then putting it on public display might not be the best idea. Though I guess they could give you the option to run a private auction -- convert another civ's great work into a lump sum of cash.

Point 1: The Elgin Marbles.
Point 2: Time to pray like hell for a mod that will essentially create an entire criminal underworld to interact with. :pray:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

Is that true, there is art theft? If so, I hope it will be a just cause for war.

I wonder if the use of nukes are seperate from the new casus belli thing. Or if it's like before where war simply means war, even if I fling a couple of dozen nukes around.

Well maybe the other AIs would hate you, but you would have their capitals, so who cares what they think!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Petra wonder movie.

Curious placement. That's a(n accessibly) full standard bonus Holy Site in there too, though. That's like, a base yield of 13 Faith with the buildings, I think? Would be even more ridiculous if one of those mountains was Everest.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That happened all the time in the days of western imperialism. Paris, London and New York even have huge obelisks taken from ancient temples in Egypt and re-erected in city plazas.

vv Ah, yeah. I suppose you're right. I forgot that was a thing you could do.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 1, 2016

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

That happened all the time in the days of western imperialism. Paris, London and New York even have huge obelisks taken from ancient temples in Egypt and re-erected in city plazas.

This is more comparable to moving works of art from conquered cities to the capital than actually stealing them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You have achieved victory through the awesome power of your culture. Your civilization's greatness - the magnificence of its monuments, the power of its artists, the stickiness of its spies' fingers - have astounded the world! Poets will honour you for as long as beauty brings gladness to a weary heart.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Um if you're not building (or stealing) this you're playing Civ wrong.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Have they said anything about the effects of the cassus belli system in multiplayer? Like it doesn't matter much who or when I war against in multiplayer, unless there's some sort of ingame effects since obviously players dont use a diplomacy system.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Have they said anything about the effects of the cassus belli system in multiplayer? Like it doesn't matter much who or when I war against in multiplayer, unless there's some sort of ingame effects since obviously players dont use a diplomacy system.

I could see the whole casus belli thing interact with the war weariness system for MP games. Starting an unjustified war giving the attacker more weariness faster, while the defender gets less, that sort of thing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Banana Man posted:

I would think it's SP only. In MP, players have they're own cassus belli system ("ur a dick" "no u")

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I would think it's SP only. In MP, players have they're own cassus belli system ("ur a dick" "no u")

"lol" *declares war*

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Casus Belli: I would like to win please

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Casus Belli: I would like to win please

"Please"? Looks like someone's angling for a diplomatic victory

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

"Please"? Looks like someone's angling for a diplomatic victory

Psyops. Politeness gets under people's skin better than telling them to choke to death on a flaming bag of dicks on top of Cock Mountain.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'd be on the happy side just having spies give me more information and not even having to do anything else. So many times I've just wanted to know troop positions and numbers. I'm sure the average player would like more that that, but it'd make me happy.

I did like how spy missions were handled in BE, but I wasent able to force myself to play long enough to truly test it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Human Crouton posted:

I'd be on the happy side just having spies give me more information and not even having to do anything else. So many times I've just wanted to know troop positions and numbers. I'm sure the average player would like more that that, but it'd make me happy.

I did like how spy missions were handled in BE, but I wasent able to force myself to play long enough to truly test it.

They were ok. There are some real neat things you can do but most of them are functionally impossible to do unless you are ARC. Ultimately, they end up being the same level of annoying bookkeeping to me that trade routes were before they just kept going forever. The option to just keep reassigning a spy the same task until a level of intrigue opened in the city they were in would have done a lot to make the system better, to me anyway.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Human Crouton posted:

It might be cool to have spies just unlock the demographics for a civ. So by default you just have to guess at how advanced or numerous a civ is by looking at their units and cities, but if you stick a spy in there you can see how many techs they have, how large an army they have and so on.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

They were ok. There are some real neat things you can do but most of them are functionally impossible to do unless you are ARC. Ultimately, they end up being the same level of annoying bookkeeping to me that trade routes were before they just kept going forever. The option to just keep reassigning a spy the same task until a level of intrigue opened in the city they were in would have done a lot to make the system better, to me anyway.

I've played about 300 hours of BE/BERT and 400 hours of Civ V G&K/BNW and I think the spying in BE is better just because it is faster and you're more likely to get a decent result. It takes about 10 turns or so by default to get a result (either energy or science) rather than the 25 turns it seems to take a Civ V spy to probably get killed taking their first tech. Honestly, you never even want to do a higher intrigue operation (except possibly recruit defectors). I did a city coup in BE once (as Brasillia) and by that point I'd already taken over most of the world. If spies could just take science or gold in Civ V like they could in BE, they'd be so much better and be worth defending against more.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stabbatical posted:

I've played about 300 hours of BE/BERT and 400 hours of Civ V G&K/BNW and I think the spying in BE is better just because it is faster and you're more likely to get a decent result. It takes about 10 turns or so by default to get a result (either energy or science) rather than the 25 turns it seems to take a Civ V spy to probably get killed taking their first tech. Honestly, you never even want to do a higher intrigue operation (except possibly recruit defectors). I did a city coup in BE once (as Brasillia) and by that point I'd already taken over most of the world. If spies could just take science or gold in Civ V like they could in BE, they'd be so much better and be worth defending against more.

I seem to recall BE spying being horribly balanced (shocking, I know). Like taking over a city was a level 4 ability, while putting various kinds of affinity-specific bomb in it was level 5, which meant you never did any bombings.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

It might be cool to have spies just unlock the demographics for a civ. So by default you just have to guess at how advanced or numerous a civ is by looking at their units and cities, but if you stick a spy in there you can see how many techs they have, how large an army they have and so on.

I've mentioned it before but one my biggest pet peeves about Civ 5 is how transparent it is - I can see the inner workings of another Civ far too easily without any spying at all! I can see their treasury, income and resources (although granted this is somewhat necessary for doing deals), unit promotions (if at war), and their place in the demographics. I can even infer buildings in cities by their tile yields, and wonder construction by their models on the map (even if the city has been in fog forever!). Cities even poke through the fog when founded (which Civ 4 did not do).

If only this were all hidden, espionage could play the role of revealing it Civ by Civ.

I would be entirely happy with espionage being a passive affair, much like it was in Civ 5 - maybe assign your spies, sure, but after that you accumulate info and steal poo poo and do a bit of damage depending on what you've assigned them to (or prevent/slow other players doing the same, if assigned to counter-espionage). Without actually having to look around and press a "Do thing" button every dozen turns, which is what bothered me about Civ 4's spy system.

I like the way the CBP mod handles it in Civ5 - spies will act, but not on direction - they will passively steal science and gold, sabotage food and production, so espionage becomes a rather generalised "gently caress poo poo up" tool to direct at opponents.

It would be quite fun if you could assign your spy to an unit and see where it is on the map, where it's going and what promotions it has. Bit of a waste of a spy when units are so numerous, but if spies were more like a fluid quantity you could divvy up between targets it would be more practical.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've mentioned it before but one my biggest pet peeves about Civ 5 is how transparent it is - I can see the inner workings of another Civ far too easily without any spying at all!

Just think, the most popular mod is info addict, which lets you see a lot more detailed information.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I personally can't play without Info Addict. I really like charts and data.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Just think, the most popular mod is info addict, which lets you see a lot more detailed information.

I think for the most part, InfoAddict just presents existing data in a better way, collating it into a more presentable form (though I seem to recall there is something about the demographics that was previously hidden in Civ's UI).

I've no problem with mods that make accessible data more accessible, in fact I'm a huge fanboy for that - I love InfoAddict. I take issue with the data being accessible at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

People always say that about infoaddict, but it legitimately does present stuff to you that you wouldn't see otherwise.

E:
It sounds like what you're looking for is going to be in civ vi though. Even wars are something you have to hear through the grapevine