Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It's mostly the front wheel/top of the bike. It looks like it's floating there, with magic. Kind of no-shadow, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Lynza posted:

Why is the bike photoshopped onto a driveway? That seems odd.

I'm not hallucinating, right? That first/main image looks PS'd af.

I was thinking the same thing because there's no shadows at all; it's like someone cut it out of another photo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I see you're all new to the experience of a photo taken with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much flash.

I'm guessing he used his point&shoot instead of his phone to take those.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Holy poo poo guys. I saw this post at work and I thought the same loving thing. I was going to post but thought I would sound crazy. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

I see you're all new to the experience of a photo taken with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much flash.

I'm guessing he used his point&shoot instead of his phone to take those.

I'd expect to see some flash shadow... Looks like the whitewashed driveway and the extreme metering for the dark shadow just blow it out all weird

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's just metered on the bike, so the driveway was blown out. Same with the sunlit area in the background.

Here, you can see shadows when you drop the highs out.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/mcy/5759196722.html

Oh God Oh God Oh God :getin: If I were less wise I'd buy this. I did a ton of research on converting an SV to sumo, as well as thinstroms, over the summer. His build looks mostly legit, and he clearly knows his stuff. Of course, the SV engine doesn't like wheelies, so it's disqualified.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're not adding suspension travel how is it a sumo?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought it looked like they had, with DRZ400 forks (common swap in for that conversion), and the rear shock looks longer/gives more ground clearance).

The big problem with SV sumo conversions is that midpipe gets in the way of more extreme rear shocks. I would have liked to see a clever rerouting, as well as having the exhaust up high near the tail.

You would know, though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Definitely not drz or even dr forks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

I thought it looked like they had, with DRZ400 forks (common swap in for that conversion), and the rear shock looks longer/gives more ground clearance).

The big problem with SV sumo conversions is that midpipe gets in the way of more extreme rear shocks. I would have liked to see a clever rerouting, as well as having the exhaust up high near the tail.

You would know, though.

ZX shock and respringing front doesn't extend the travel any. He did an exhaust swap that makes it look much sharper but it doesn't change ground clearance or anything like that :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In that case, I agree. I wonder why he said he had DRZ front end. It's a shame, because the whole hypermotard parts use is pretty brilliant, and fixes a lot of problems with the conversion. Namely, the tank and seat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well it does have a DRZ headlight!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, mission accomplished then!

I wish it were close to 2k. I'd be all over it then, and do the DRZ400 front end swap, figure out how to get the midpipe to clear the swingarm for longer travel, and ride the hell out of it.

A reliable SXV550 would be rad.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Z3n posted:

If you're not adding suspension travel how is it a sumo?

What do you know about building a sumo?

Oh... oh yea... oh...

That bike is just an uglier 1st gen with almost no actual mods to make it perform anything like a supermoto or even perform better.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yes and on top of that it's heaver than but has the same power as a 690 smc.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Looks like the DR650 swingarm swap is feasible, and would give the right lift to the rear. Look at that ground clearance!

edit:nm that's the second gen, which I'd be more interested in sumoing anyway.

High Protein posted:

Yes and on top of that it's heaver than but has the same power as a 690 smc.

Yeah... :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well this is a new one.

I've always thought an EX500 would make a decent gravel runner. More interested in that blue one though.

picture is link

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
this guy stole my idea

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What in the actual gently caress?

How is that a good idea other than "well I accidentally knocked it off a cliff. Nothing of value was lost."

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Isn't gravel really bad for belt drives?

HenryJLittlefinger- that looks fully rad. Post a link to the listing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"well I accidentally knocked it off a cliff. Nothing of value was lost."

You get it.

It isn't like that's a super involved build. Some Emgo off road bits and a take-off muffler from probably a Sporty.

I'd take it a step further and put taller suspension on it and maybe re-route the pipe for better ground clearance.

Coydog posted:

There's nothing good about it besides it's disposable.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 2, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but you still have to walk back after you litter the woods with it. Or, even worse, pay actual money to fix it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dremel to the VIN, problem solved.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/5755940759.html

is this expensive?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you have to ask, you really shouldn't pick that bike. Why are you buying, and what are you looking for?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

well not the initial investment... but you're gonna spend a ton on replacing camshafts and reg/recs

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

HenryJLittlefinger- that looks fully rad. Post a link to the listing.

Picture is linked.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is buy that Ninja 500 in a heartbeat if it wasn't 13 hours away :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fly n ride. I'd help you sort it out in my garage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Now what in the gently caress?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That has to be a troll...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sammy is about to get real sick of people calling because his rear end in a top hat friends put that up.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Someone please talk me out of this because the timing belt job doesn't actually seem any more difficult than a valve adjustment. Looks like an afternoon and 100 in parts. That's easily half of what others are going for in my area.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd buy that poo poo. (Not at full price but still)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You wouldn't pay $1800? What would you offer?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That seems like a pretty good price to me. Belts take me 15 min with nothing but a set of Allen wrenches, but valves are a bit more of a pain. If you get it I'd recommend getting the desmotimes manual for 2v ducs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

You wouldn't pay $1800? What would you offer?

Well, the reason I say that is because never pay the asking price. I'd be fuckin happy if I scored that for $1400. (Where is that located...?)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ah, I feel like it's already listed 2k below other monsters in my area. I know nothing of monster pricing, and wouldn't be drawn to it if they normally go for only 3-400 more than his asking. It's located in Woodstock Georgia.

Slim Pickens posted:

That seems like a pretty good price to me. Belts take me 15 min with nothing but a set of Allen wrenches, but valves are a bit more of a pain. If you get it I'd recommend getting the desmotimes manual for 2v ducs.

I'm glad to hear that! Doesn't look too difficult, to me, based on a couple youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The 620's not gonna be very quick, though, so keep that in mind. It'll make the "Ducati=fast" crowd a bit funnier if you're on a 60hp bike.