Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

frank.club posted:

I'm sure it's covered in the engi guide. But when I need to modify an fsd I should roll up in whatever ship I want modified? I can't just pick a specific piece of equipment and say "make that good"

That's definitely the most straight-forward way of doing it. You can only modify what's currently equipped, but once you've done that, you can transfer modded modules between ships by selling and re-buying them. But of course, that strategy assumes that the module you're fiddling with can be carried on both ships, so it won't work for everything.

With the promise of module storage and transfers, this may all change, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Tippis posted:

That's definitely the most straight-forward way of doing it. You can only modify what's currently equipped, but once you've done that, you can transfer modded modules between ships by selling and re-buying them. But of course, that strategy assumes that the module you're fiddling with can be carried on both ships, so it won't work for everything.

With the promise of module storage and transfers, this may all change, though.

Module storage is really funny for me. On one hand, I'm excited to be able to have multiple modules for the same ship stored away so I can change config whenever. On the other, it will still be relatively efficient to simply grab a new ship and mod it yourself by trucking to all of the various engineers. What would really have me excited is a way for modules to take up X amount of cargo room so you could for instance, roll up to Palin with 6 different size thruster modules and get them all modified.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm really not looking forward to trucking my vulture out to Maia so I hope so.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bushiz posted:

I'm really not looking forward to trucking my vulture out to Maia so I hope so.

The asp and vulture have the same size engines. Just take the asp and modify it, then switch out the engines when you get back.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

The asp and vulture have the same size engines. Just take the asp and modify it, then switch out the engines when you get back.

my connection is utter garbo and has a tendency to drop when I switch ships so I'd rather not play with fire. The spending two hours trekking to maia at ~15 Ly is an acceptable price for the insurance of not watching some amazing thrusters vanish into the void.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Valatar posted:

So I went about 1500 ly out last night, figured I could knock out both the 5000 ly requirement for Palin and get the exploration to get allied with Sirius for Quent in the same run. Is there a best thing to do with the leftover exploration data after maxing out Sirius? I'm tempted to try to unlock some more minor factions with it so I can get more system licenses just for kicks, but if it'll be useful for something more lucrative, I'm hardly married to the idea.

It takes ~7.5M in exploration data to go from no rank to rank 4, and another 7.5M to get from rank 4 to rank 5.

My suggestion would be to grind out 12-20 rank 1 mods, (if you've done any SRV, you should have plenty of grade 1 mats for this) then once you get to rank 3, sell a page of data at a time until you max out.

Anything extra, use it to gain rep in your favorite systems and/or Sothis for mad spacebux. :slick:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Bushiz posted:

my connection is utter garbo and has a tendency to drop when I switch ships so I'd rather not play with fire. The spending two hours trekking to maia at ~15 Ly is an acceptable price for the insurance of not watching some amazing thrusters vanish into the void.

If you just want to fly a cool spaceship in offtime.
The exploring in this game is aces!
That's pretty much all I have to say except: I was wrong when I said "it's a boring thing for boring people.

But still, put on some good Music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4g7mPUskW8

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 1, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It takes ~7.5M in exploration data to go from no rank to rank 4, and another 7.5M to get from rank 4 to rank 5.
I was going to post this same thing. If you're just heading out honking and jumping and maybe scanning any "worlds" you come across, you're going to be disappointed to know you'll come back from a 5000ly journey with not even enough exploration data to get to rank 4. I did a honk and jump fastest run to 5000ly, then did about a 400ly economical lateral move, and sort of meandered back toward home until I started hitting systems where everything was explored by someone already. Checked out any interesting planets, gas giants with life, water worlds, earthlike worlds, might metal content worlds I couldn't properly identify from their sound. About 12-14 hours of playtime maybe? Expected to have data to spare, didn't even max out the engineer. Don't think I even made it to rank 4.

I think if you're planning to max out a few factions and engineers, you'll have plenty of time to think about that over the next month while you get that much data!

EDIT: The easy way to max out an engineer is to take any ship and put 2x class 2 mining lasers, 1x prospector, and enough to get 2 active collector limpets at once. Go to virtually any hazardous RES with nothing in your hold, mine the rocks. Your dudes will collect nothing but micromaterials and in an hour you've got enough to just press spacebar 3x 200 times to rank up from 0 to 5.
Rank 1-2: 3 builds
Rank 2-3: 12 builds
Rank 3-4: 50 builds
Rank 4-5: ~150 builds?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

well i've been wanting to go out to jacques station, and i figured this was the perfect time to do it seeing as i could turn in all my exploration data for a fat CG payout...it lasts for 6 whole weeks, more than enough time to get over there right? But it's probably gonna end early with a whole 3 weeks left on the timer, so gently caress that...my spergism wasn't as fast as that of the true space masters :negative:

Guess I'll have to just go turn in these modular terminals and then go to Maia and look at aliens spaceships for a month and then get my brains sucked out :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

well i've been wanting to go out to jacques station, and i figured this was the perfect time to do it seeing as i could turn in all my exploration data for a fat CG payout...it lasts for 6 whole weeks, more than enough time to get over there right? But it's probably gonna end early with a whole 3 weeks left on the timer, so gently caress that...my spergism wasn't as fast as that of the true space masters :negative:

Guess I'll have to just go turn in these modular terminals and then go to Maia and look at aliens spaceships for a month and then get my brains sucked out :getin:

It's even worse for me, I'm still about 15k light years from Jacques' station and will probably miss the end of the CG by just a couple hours. Now that will be painful.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

StarkRavingMad posted:

FINALLY

suck it, Imperial rep grind, suck it forever

she's so pretty :swoon:

Congratulations! :dance: I took a break from rep grinding for a little mining zen and some community goal spacebucks, but I'll be getting back to the Imperial grindstone in a couple days. Only a couple more ranks to go!

kill meeeeeeeee

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Congratulations! :dance: I took a break from rep grinding for a little mining zen and some community goal spacebucks, but I'll be getting back to the Imperial grindstone in a couple days. Only a couple more ranks to go!

kill meeeeeeeee

I'm already a Prince. :smug:

The Imperial grind for me is over. It even never was that much of a grind, because I suffered from some dumb bug which Frontier felt obligated to save me from in the most ham-fisted way possible (by giving me a shitton of Imperial rep). Software bugs: Sometimes they're kind of awesome!

Edit:

The best part: I only noticed Frontier's "solution" to me getting stuck while grinding Imp rep when, one year later, I was grinding to get a FAS and every time there was an Imperial faction on the same station, they spammed rank-up missions. Every time I did one, the new rank was already at 100% and I was like "Are you making GBS threads me?" when the truth dawned on me.

In the time it took me to get the Fed-rank for the FAS, I boosted myself from "Master" to "Prince". :shepface:

Only when I reached Prince did my giant mountain of saved-up Imp rep finally run out. If I ever want to get the final Imp-rank (:lol: no), I have to get the missing ~80% for myself.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 1, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/285146-So-UA-bombing-just-got-nerfed

I mean I know I'm new here but how is shutting down a station for minimal effort something this game sorely needs? Is it some Eve player thing?

Also, why is Ceos so special? Sothis runs are pretty lucrative but the few times I've caught Ceos unbombed it looked like the same stuff.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mailer posted:

Also, why is Ceos so special? Sothis runs are pretty lucrative but the few times I've caught Ceos unbombed it looked like the same stuff.

Between Ceos and Sothis you could stack a fuckton of missions for a lot of money, and grind rep for both systems at once since data missions usually had the other system as the target. That's why it was targeted by the anti-fun brigade, how dare people make money faster than glacially :bahgawd:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of making money faster than glacially, and as my first outing trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing, how does this Anaconda go for something that would be good for continuing the Sothis gravy train? I'm a little shaky on how optimal shields work, whether top speed in coriolis accounts for four pips in ENG, and the value of thrusters. I basically need just enough to jump my rear end out of interdictions so I can continue my life as the Baron of Liquid poo poo. Would it be worth moving the 5A scoop to a 4A? Dropping shields to a 4A?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

CapnBry posted:

The easy way to max out an engineer is to take any ship and put 2x class 2 mining lasers, 1x prospector, and enough to get 2 active collector limpets at once. Go to virtually any hazardous RES with nothing in your hold, mine the rocks. Your dudes will collect nothing but micromaterials and in an hour you've got enough to just press spacebar 3x 200 times to rank up from 0 to 5.
Rank 1-2: 3 builds
Rank 2-3: 12 builds
Rank 3-4: 50 builds
Rank 4-5: ~150 builds?

This sounds chill and kinda like something I could get into.

What do I need to get 2 collector limpets active at once? Just 2 collector controllers?

Does it matter what I'm mining?

Is it being in a hazardous RES that means you get micromaterials rather than regular ore?

How likely am I to get blown up while doing this?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mailer posted:

Speaking of making money faster than glacially, and as my first outing trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing, how does this Anaconda go for something that would be good for continuing the Sothis gravy train? I'm a little shaky on how optimal shields work, whether top speed in coriolis accounts for four pips in ENG, and the value of thrusters. I basically need just enough to jump my rear end out of interdictions so I can continue my life as the Baron of Liquid poo poo. Would it be worth moving the 5A scoop to a 4A? Dropping shields to a 4A?

I would do something like this. That should be enough shielding to survive any single pirate encounter, provided you put 4 to sys as you make your escape.

Top speed in coriolis is the 4 to eng speed.

I wouldn't do anything less than a 5A scoop, travel is boring enough as it is.

Edit: Shield optimal mass only cares about the base hull mass, not laden mass.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 1, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The currently running exploration-CG makes me depressed. For some reason Frontier always times these things so I can't get to them in time. I swear, I have the worst luck. :sigh:

Anyway, I guess the chance for Frontier to manipulate the numbers so it doesn't finish with nearly a month left on the timer is zero, right?

I think I've missed 3 exploration CGs in this year alone. One because it was too short, the second and the third filled up too fast for me to get back in time and sign up. The curse of the explorer: Always too far away to help the community, even in things dealing with exploration.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Got about 4 hours in so far and I'm liking it. I only reversed into a control tower once.

I got interdicted twice the first time I tried to haul cargo. Once I was able to escape interdiction, and the other I got pulled out of FTL and was able to run till my FSD was ready to jump back to FTL again. So that was fun. Right now, I'm mostly just having a good time being a data courier since they mostly seem to be one way trips with only one or two jumps with better payouts than the cargo based jobs you can take with a stock Sidewinder.

Still trying to figure out exactly how the trade maps work. I wanted to give trading a try to see how it worked so I bought a load of 4 semiconductors for what looked like 100cr below galactic average, then proceeded to try and find a place to offload them. I was looking for a system that seemed lower tech, like an agricultural system, but I was still seeing a net loss.

How should I be going about this? I guess that buying commodities first and then trying to sell them somewhere else might be the opposite of what I should be doing. Should I be looking in the commodities market for what's in high demand where I'm at and then heading off somewhere to buy it and bring it back?

I'm still working out the key bindings for my T-Flight Hotas, only because I'm not yet sure what's important enough to bind to the throttle or stick, and what's used rarely enough to keep on the keyboard.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Trustworthy posted:

kill meeeeeeeee

Hang in there, the last few ranks are the worst. Both because they literally take more missions and also because you're so ready to be done with it. I just had to grit my teeth and settle in and find something I really wanted to watch on a second screen. Worth it at the end, though, I love the Cutter. Now I just need to get serious about engineer upgrades.

Libluini posted:

I'm already a Prince. :smug:

The Imperial grind for me is over. It even never was that much of a grind, because I suffered from some dumb bug which Frontier felt obligated to save me from in the most ham-fisted way possible (by giving me a shitton of Imperial rep). Software bugs: Sometimes they're kind of awesome!

Edit:

The best part: I only noticed Frontier's "solution" to me getting stuck while grinding Imp rep when, one year later, I was grinding to get a FAS and every time there was an Imperial faction on the same station, they spammed rank-up missions. Every time I did one, the new rank was already at 100% and I was like "Are you making GBS threads me?" when the truth dawned on me.

In the time it took me to get the Fed-rank for the FAS, I boosted myself from "Master" to "Prince". :shepface:

Only when I reached Prince did my giant mountain of saved-up Imp rep finally run out. If I ever want to get the final Imp-rank (:lol: no), I have to get the missing ~80% for myself.

Lucky bastard. You should do it, finish the grind. Take your rightful place as King.

(I may go back and do it eventually because being King sounds hilarious, even if it actually does nothing).

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jay_Zombie posted:

Got about 4 hours in so far and I'm liking it. I only reversed into a control tower once.

I got interdicted twice the first time I tried to haul cargo. Once I was able to escape interdiction, and the other I got pulled out of FTL and was able to run till my FSD was ready to jump back to FTL again. So that was fun. Right now, I'm mostly just having a good time being a data courier since they mostly seem to be one way trips with only one or two jumps with better payouts than the cargo based jobs you can take with a stock Sidewinder.

Still trying to figure out exactly how the trade maps work. I wanted to give trading a try to see how it worked so I bought a load of 4 semiconductors for what looked like 100cr below galactic average, then proceeded to try and find a place to offload them. I was looking for a system that seemed lower tech, like an agricultural system, but I was still seeing a net loss.

How should I be going about this? I guess that buying commodities first and then trying to sell them somewhere else might be the opposite of what I should be doing. Should I be looking in the commodities market for what's in high demand where I'm at and then heading off somewhere to buy it and bring it back?

I'm still working out the key bindings for my T-Flight Hotas, only because I'm not yet sure what's important enough to bind to the throttle or stick, and what's used rarely enough to keep on the keyboard.

In terms of key bindings, make sure the following are easily accessible:

Lateral thrust keys
Flight Assist Off key
Power Distribution keys

Make sure the following cannot be accidentally pressed: silent running (it will immediately turn off your shields so you really do not want to do it by accident mid combat)
Delete the following assignment: Drop All Cargo

Disable the following option: Firing deploys hard points. (This will let you run frameshift wake scans etc without hardpoints out)

That's all I can think of for controls of the top of my head.

In terms of starting out, buy a docking computer it will save you a lot of pain and suffering as early game is all mission running and docking over and over...

If you want to make easy money and do not mind doing the same thing over and over and over - follow this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/

I don't care that it says that you shouldn't do it in a sidewinder - you can and I have and made 2 mil in about 5 hours including travel time there, which for a sidewinder is huge. Yes there are probably more efficient ways to earn early game money - but the reason I recommend this to everyone is that you will probably want to grind imperial rank anyway. You might as well do it when the money actually helps as well.

Personally, I do not bother with trading as it seems missions are far far more profitable with way less risk.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

Typically, people use out-of-game external database sites like EDDB to find profitable trade deals - ingame trade is an absolute crapshoot and it's unlikely to find anything meaningfully profitable outside of missions.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

I don't care that it says that you shouldn't do it in a sidewinder - you can and I have and made 2 mil in about 5 hours including travel time there, which for a sidewinder is huge. Yes there are probably more efficient ways to earn early game money - but the reason I recommend this to everyone is that you will probably want to grind imperial rank anyway. You might as well do it when the money actually helps as well.

Start off, pick up expensive crap on the surface of the initial planet until you can afford the cheap fuel scoop and a 2B FSD, jump&scoop to Wu Ganguini, do data mission until 18m or so, buy Asp Explorer kitted out for cargo with an Advanced Discovery Scanner. In two weeks of casual Sothis runs you have an Anaconda or a FDL or whatever thing you're going for.

Alternatively, do whatever. Everything makes money.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

In terms of key bindings, make sure the following are easily accessible:

Lateral thrust keys
Flight Assist Off key
Power Distribution keys

Make sure the following cannot be accidentally pressed: silent running (it will immediately turn off your shields so you really do not want to do it by accident mid combat)
Delete the following assignment: Drop All Cargo

Disable the following option: Firing deploys hard points. (This will let you run frameshift wake scans etc without hardpoints out)

That's all I can think of for controls of the top of my head.

In terms of starting out, buy a docking computer it will save you a lot of pain and suffering as early game is all mission running and docking over and over...

If you want to make easy money and do not mind doing the same thing over and over and over - follow this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/

Personally, I do not bother with trading as it seems missions are far far more profitable with way less risk.

Thank you for the info. I'm definitely giving that Imp grind a try.

I was not aware that there was a docking computer. I actually kind of enjoy docking manually, but I'm going to pick up a computer anyway because I'm sure it will become tedious after a while.

Guess I need to get that Flight Assist bound and get rid of the drop all cargo mapping.. Thanks!

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically, people use out-of-game external database sites like EDDB to find profitable trade deals - ingame trade is an absolute crapshoot and it's unlikely to find anything meaningfully profitable outside of missions.

Noted. Thank you. I'll stick to missions for the time being. Luckily, my first foray into trade only stuck me with a 20 credit loss + about 100 credits worth of fuel bouncing around looking for a system that would buy my darn semiconductors. ( I figured out fuel scooping soon after that)

Right now, I'm sitting at about 150k Cr, just from doing some one and two hop boom data missions. So I'll keep at that and work my way over to the HIP 10716 and
Wu Guinagi area.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jay_Zombie posted:

So I'll keep at that and work my way over to the HIP 10716 and
Wu Guinagi area.

Remember when you travel there, you will need to fuel scoop, I found out that hard way that you can only scoop from stars that of the following class: KGBFOAM. Also when you look at the galaxy map with your route plotted, when the solid line turns dotted, that means you will be out of fuel at that point, so there better be scoopable stars along the way our you're SOL.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

Remember when you travel there, you will need to fuel scoop, I found out that hard way that you can only scoop from stars that of the following class: KGBFOAM. Also when you look at the galaxy map with your route plotted, when the solid line turns dotted, that means you will be out of fuel at that point, so there better be scoopable stars along the way our you're SOL.

I actually did pick up a fuel scoop and a slightly better FSD last night and played around/practiced with scooping during my search for somewhere to sell my conductors. I overheated once when I wasn't paying close enough attention, but at least I kind of know where the breaking point is now.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that you can't scoop from some stars. I will plot my route accordingly.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jay_Zombie posted:

I actually did pick up a fuel scoop and a slightly better FSD last night and played around/practiced with scooping during my search for somewhere to sell my conductors. I overheated once when I wasn't paying close enough attention, but at least I kind of know where the breaking point is now.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that you can't scoop from some stars. I will plot my route accordingly.

Fuel scoop at the lowest speed possible as you don't need to move and moving is just another way to fly into the sun. Also if you are feeling brave turning off shields will lower your overall heat generation.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

FileNotFound posted:

turning off shields

Do not do this.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

Do not do this.

Nothing bad has ever happened to anyone running with shields turned off inside the bubble - except for getting interdicted and killed in 3 seconds.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Jay_Zombie posted:

Fuel scooping's easy, just not intuitive. You'd naturally think that you have to be moving to scoop, the faster you go the more hydrogen you pass through to scoop up, etc. Not so. The only real arbiter of scooping is the distance from the star and your orientation (and your scoop class, naturally). So do this:

Point at star.
Fly (slowly) towards star until your scoop starts pulling in fuel.
Keep flying until the scoop rate reaches a decent number (this number varies from scoop to scoop) or your heat starts to get close to 100.
Full stop.
Wait until your fuel tank's mostly full.
Leave. By the time you've pulled away from the star, the scoop will have grabbed enough hydrogen to finish filling the tank.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Valatar posted:

Fuel scooping's easy, just not intuitive. You'd naturally think that you have to be moving to scoop, the faster you go the more hydrogen you pass through to scoop up, etc. Not so. The only real arbiter of scooping is the distance from the star and your orientation (and your scoop class, naturally). So do this:

Point at star.
Keep flying until the scoop rate reaches a decent number (this number varies from scoop to scoop) or your heat starts to get close to 100.
Full stop.
Leave. By the time you've pulled away from the star, the scoop will have grabbed enough hydrogen to finish filling the tank.

Much easier to fly towards the star at an angle. Use the yellow exclusion line as a guide, aim for just outside of it. Fly in until your scoop maxes out or you hit 65% heat and throttle to zero. Pointing directly at the star runs the risk of running into it accidentally or getting interdicted since your rear end is hanging out.

Ideally, you buy a big enough scoop to refill while passing the star. With an Asp and a 6A scoop, you can fill the tank without slowing down.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

Point at star.
Full stop.

Actually, this works like so:

1. Point your ship at the center of the star and put your throttle at 100%
2. Pull back to zero as soon as you scoop starts pulling in fuel.
3. Profit.

As long as you remember step 2, you will be in no danger.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

Actually, this works like so:

1. Point your ship at the center of the star and put your throttle at 100%
2. Pull back to zero as soon as you scoop starts pulling in fuel.
3. Profit.

As long as you remember step 2, you will be in no danger.

:psypop:

FakeEdit: what happened to Goose?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Much easier to fly towards the star at an angle. Use the yellow exclusion line as a guide, aim for just outside of it. Fly in until your scoop maxes out or you hit 65% heat and throttle to zero. Pointing directly at the star runs the risk of running into it accidentally or getting interdicted since your rear end is hanging out.

Ideally, you buy a big enough scoop to refill while passing the star. With an Asp and a 6A scoop, you can fill the tank without slowing down.

Trying to get cute with the angle and not slowing down is what's caused every instance of falling out of supercruise and getting my rear end roasted by a star. I've found it much safer to throttle down during a jump, come out at a hover over the star so I'm not hurtling towards it before I get my bearings, then approach it if it's scoopable while doing the system scan and a scan of the star. Target the next jump destination after the scan's done while the fuel tank's filling, orient towards it, then pull away from the star and jump. If I'm concerned about getting jumped, I'd just flip 180 and have my rear end towards the star while scooping. It'll decrease the scoop rate, but make it fairly impossible for anything to get the right angle to interdict.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm doing my scooping like this since 2014. :v:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Valatar posted:

Trying to get cute with the angle and not slowing down is what's caused every instance of falling out of supercruise and getting my rear end roasted by a star. I've found it much safer to throttle down during a jump, come out at a hover over the star so I'm not hurtling towards it before I get my bearings, then approach it if it's scoopable while doing the system scan and a scan of the star. Target the next jump destination after the scan's done while the fuel tank's filling, orient towards it, then pull away from the star and jump. If I'm concerned about getting jumped, I'd just flip 180 and have my rear end towards the star while scooping. It'll decrease the scoop rate, but make it fairly impossible for anything to get the right angle to interdict.

Nice, that's exactly how I do it too. Haven't crashed into a star since the first time I played. Though sometimes I'll zoom past at an angle if I'm not scanning or I'm in a rush.

Anyone else play with orbit lines off? I turned them off way in the beginning, because they screwed with my immersion (:qq:). I've since gotten pretty good at judging the parallax of stations and figuring out the right angle to approach from so that I'm in front of the slot. As for stars I just use my heat levels to judge if I'm too close while scooping.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 1, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Listen if you aren't hot rodding around a star while fuel scooping then you are a chump of the highest order and probably also pee your pants like a baby.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Git gud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i4bl_YBN10

Also:

KakerMix posted:

Listen if you aren't hot rodding around a star while fuel scooping then you are a chump of the highest order and probably also pee your pants like a baby.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Hey, I wear ADULT diapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

he's right

• Locked thread