Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Person Dyslexic posted:

Wait what? I thought it was entirely related to her age. Like, she needs constant surgery or treatment for her voice due to her being older than the mountains.

Rehm has this disorder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia

she is also 79 years old, but those things are not particularly related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist
More evidence that even other NPR employees don't like Prairie Home Companion:

quote:

SAGAL: Al Bayan is an Islamic State radio network, and according to AP, they imitate the smooth, calm style of NPR as they try to recruit people to their cause. So it's like, so that's another victory for the Caliphate against the unbeliever. Death to America. And now it's time for Jazz Jihad Cafe.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Flattering. The amazing thing is that they were able to match NPR's style so perfectly, despite having a staff with 9,000 percent fewer Jews.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: And they've even got - they've even got on the weekend, just like NPR, they have a new schedule. They go over to all evil shows like This Anti-American Life...

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: And Car Bomb Talk, and Prairie Home Companion.
:iceburn:

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/06/412448275/panel-round-one

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Radish posted:

What's so bad about Prairie Home Companion?

It's boring and unfunny and killed Robert Altman.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What does Prarie Home Companion talk about exactly? I just listen for Keillor's voice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kro-Bar posted:

It's boring and unfunny and killed Robert Altman.

Remember when Lindsay Lohan ended up outing herself as illiterate when he died?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

amuayse posted:

What does Prarie Home Companion talk about exactly? I just listen for Keillor's voice.

The incredibly boring goings-on of a fake town called Lake Wobegon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Listening to Prairie Home Companion during a hungover overcast Sunday drive home from visiting friends who live a few hours away is the most normal poo poo ever and half of you people have done it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i super don't understand hating it, it's just folksy and charming

it's like being against whittling - you don't have to like it or do it yourself, but if you go online and badmouth whittling, the problem is with YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Keiler's old-man whistling noise absolutely loving kills me, it is just terrible. But I could probably listen to APHC hosted by that Punch Brothers guy, he's probably the most talented bluegrass musician in existence so that can't hurt

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Radish posted:

Remember police unions aren't a problem.

"Hey man maybe this cop is just a big fan of the Japanese manji character ever think of that??" - police union rep.

Who gives a poo poo what the union thinks?

The real question is what the department thinks (though we can probably guess given that he's been employed there for more than a decade), and what action you would expect them to take.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hint: if police unions were the problem the all across the anti-union south we would have better policing than in pro-union blue states.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Listening to Prairie Home Companion during a hungover overcast Sunday drive home from visiting friends who live a few hours away is the most normal poo poo ever and half of you people have done it.

I don't even know what the show is about. :smug:

This must be the D&D equivalent of "I don't even own a TV."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Person Dyslexic posted:

Also I was excited when our local npr station finally dropped PHC but then they just replaced it with a 3 loving hour long program of nothing but bluegrass and bad folk music.

Oh lord is it Back Porch Music? That show's Exhibit B in the case for white genocide.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Florida Man pushes general election to August 31st, consummates marriage with alligator

I wish the election was yesterday. I just want this crazy ride to end so that the GOP can move on and start freaking out about President Hilary and maybe the loss of the Senate and how they need to confirm Garland so she doesn't pick someone 20-30 years younger and far more liberal.

Kro-Bar posted:

Did cars stop having tape/cd players or MP3 inputs or something? Who listens to the loving radio?

People who don't listen to the radio when driving and only use cds/mp3s/podcasts/etc are in the (small) minority.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm assuming that someone leaking his tax returns would be illegal and off the table.

Unless Russia decides to go gently caress Trump nobody's stealing and releasing his tax returns.

Main Paineframe posted:

Who gives a poo poo what the union thinks?

The real question is what the department thinks (though we can probably guess given that he's been employed there for more than a decade), and what action you would expect them to take.

He'll get a raise and/or promotion as soon as the media stops caring tomorrow.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

Holy poo poo I just had a flashback to 2003 from reading this. Oh college

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't want this election season to end as I am a raving junkie for this poo poo.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

emdash posted:

Rehm has this disorder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia

she is also 79 years old, but those things are not particularly related

Well poo poo, I had no idea. I guess i was projecting my own fear of death onto her.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

theflyingorc posted:

it's like being against whittling - you don't have to like it or do it yourself, but if you go online and badmouth whittling, the problem is with YOU

Some stations seem to run it a lot more often than others. I can totally see how it'd get on your nerves if you're constantly hearing it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

I don't want this election season to end as I am a raving junkie for this poo poo.

The election may die but the GOP hold on the House is good for another four years or so. This thread ain't going no where.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

amuayse posted:

mostly a dude writes a bunch of things he thinks are funny or poignant and throws half of them away so he can sing about rhubarb pie

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

It's neither.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

William F Cuckley posted:

Oh lord is it Back Porch Music? That show's Exhibit B in the case for white genocide.

No, just looked it up and turns out there are actually two programs: Mountain Stage and the Folk Show. Both are great for falling asleep behind the wheel.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

If it isn't folsky and charming, then what is?

I would say it's folksy and charming but those aren't virtues, haha

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Crabtree posted:

I still can't believe I live in a world where there can be classic rap and hip-hop, but here we are.

According to the hip-hop classics station here the only thing that counts is Nelly and anything featuring Nelly, as far as I can tell from listening sporadically.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Best commentary on Prairie Home Companion was done over twenty years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkq7yylRkU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Crabtree posted:

I still can't believe I live in a world where there can be classic rap and hip-hop, but here we are.

Rap's been around for almost 40 years. When classic rock became a thing the oldest material was at most 15-20 years old.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Hint: if police unions were the problem the all across the anti-union south we would have better policing than in pro-union blue states.

Police and the US justice system have a ton of problems depending on the area so distilling it into something that simple is ridiculous.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Trabisnikof posted:

Police unions are virtually immune to the generalized right-wing hatred for unions, they're still very much A Thing here.

Also what that guy said ^^

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Harik posted:

Not very well, as you can imagine. Fail the paper bag test, get shipped off to a foreign country and it's up to you to prove your way back. It's happened a few timesonce when ICE fucks up particularly badly.

Shockingly this never happens to a be-suited wallstreet investor, it happens to the most vulnerable mentally disabled homeless people on the street.

Edit: in case you thought I was kidding.

E2: I thought there were more cases. I mixed up "citizens were brought in and detained" with "were actually deported" numbers.

Thanks. Thought this question would have been lost in the last thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crabtree posted:

I can't believe you've never heard of jazz or the blues. :psyduck:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Crabtree posted:

just gonna back up a sec and say what the hell is this post

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yinlock posted:

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

Mars, the Bringer of War

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prairie Home Companion was at least better than Vinyl Cafe, the twisted monkey paw wish Canadian version of PHC.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Why isn't Guccifer being given a Medal of Honor for releasing Hillary Clintons emails? He's like Snowden or something right the guy they are making a movie about with that guy from inception?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cheesus posted:

Best commentary on Prairie Home Companion was done over twenty years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkq7yylRkU

Now I miss Phil Hartman. Thanks jerk.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Prairie Home Companion was at least better than Vinyl Cafe, the twisted monkey paw wish Canadian version of PHC.

I don't really understand what PHC is supposed to be? Is it supposed to simulate hanging out with an old white grandpa living in the Midwest? What if I don't have these shared memories? The only thing worth listening to on the weekends is the BBC programming they have sometimes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

emdash posted:

just gonna back up a sec and say what the hell is this post

He's saying he's old, and he remembers when it was impossible for classic rap to exist because rap had just been invented and gone national.

fits my needs posted:

I don't really understand what PHC is supposed to be? Is it supposed to simulate hanging out with an old white grandpa living in the Midwest? What if I don't have these shared memories? The only thing worth listening to on the weekends is the BBC programming they have sometimes.

Yeah it's supposed to be a generic Minnesotan older guy telling tales about his small town. That's it.

The books are generally better if you didn't grow up there, because they don't repeat themselves so often.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
i wasn't allowed to listen to pop radio growing up, so i fed on a steady diet of prairie home companion. my favorite bit was the swedish-american lutheran couple who hated each other but didn't know how to express it. i remember once listening to an extended bit about garrison keillor taking a magical blue pill that made him more confident and made the neighbor ladies very happy. lake wobegon had an underground seedy side if you knew how to listen/were so loving bored listening to loving prairie home companion that you grabbed onto anything, anything at all, that could be construed as interesting. like i know the baseball team is called the whippets but i assumed that referred to whip-it parties and not dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Police unions are virtually immune to the generalized right-wing hatred for unions, they're still very much A Thing here.

Also what that guy said ^^

Just because they exist doesn't mean they have power. A union that can't strike or do collective barginning isn't a real Union.

The problem is that police unions are filled with police.

• Locked thread