Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

peer posted:

But then we'd lose the best scene in the movie, when you finally see why the little kid is so dangerous.

Yeah, I really like that scene.

I like looper, but my biggest issue is a nerdy time-travel-bullshit hangup: The movie repeatedly shows time-travel having "instantaneous" consequences. That is, when they change something in the past, it doesn't re-write history up until the present, the change just takes effect at the point in the narrative we happen to be. I don't really have a problem with this by itself, because even though it doesn't make any sense mechanically, it works just fine artistically and gives us some really great scenes.

My problem is that the actual plot of the movie completely ignores this. Bruce Willis goes back in time to kill the Rainmaker before his wife gets killed in the future. And yet, based on everything else that happens int he movie, this would surely just cause the Rainmaker to poof out of existence in the future, still having set in motion the events leading to the death of Bruce Willis's wife. And as a seasoned looper, Bruce Willis should surely know this.

There's really no fixing this, it just bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They literally tell you not to worry about it in the movie

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Snak posted:

I like looper, but my biggest issue is a nerdy time-travel-bullshit hangup: The movie repeatedly shows time-travel having "instantaneous" consequences. That is, when they change something in the past, it doesn't re-write history up until the present, the change just takes effect at the point in the narrative we happen to be. I don't really have a problem with this by itself, because even though it doesn't make any sense mechanically, it works just fine artistically and gives us some really great scenes.

My problem is that the actual plot of the movie completely ignores this. Bruce Willis goes back in time to kill the Rainmaker before his wife gets killed in the future. And yet, based on everything else that happens int he movie, this would surely just cause the Rainmaker to poof out of existence in the future, still having set in motion the events leading to the death of Bruce Willis's wife. And as a seasoned looper, Bruce Willis should surely know this.

Film Crit Hulk has some very good stuff to say on this topic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

They literally tell you not to worry about it in the movie

That doesn't really fix the fact that the protagonist's primary motivation doesn't make sense.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Film Crit Hulk has some very good stuff to say on this topic.

I'm sure he does. All-caps is not fun to read, and if he really wanted to share his good ideas, he wouldn't hide them behind a gimmick that makes it harder to access them.

edit: 2 things: I already said I don't think it makes it a bad movie, it just bugs me, and 2: I converted Film Crit Hulk's article to lowercase to read it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, and how do the orcs know how to say menu!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It makes fine sense if you don't worry about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah, and how do the orcs know how to say menu!

Why does Orcish sound like English?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why does Orcish sound like English?

I'll start the petition

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why are modern film cameras in a fictional land with no visible evidence of electricity or even moderately intricate mechanisms???

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Orcs are speaking Orcish(Black Tongue) but we get their words translated because we are not watching literal events but the retelling of those events by Frodo. Also Frodo is really racist so he makes the Orcs into monstermen and includes comic relief characters based on the most extreme stereotypes for Elf and Dwarf.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Though I suspect "Is very good with bows." is a Elf cliché because of Tolkien because before Lord of the Rings elves were anything from tiny people who lived in your house and may have been a remnant of ancestor worship to beautiful but sinister people who lived inside rocks to dudes who would sit on your chest at night and suck the milk from your nipples and with it your lifeforce to cats to beautiful women who'd invite you to dance and then tear your throat open with their claws and drink all your blood to a headless horseman who uses a spinal column as a whip.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Tolkien did for elves what Stoker did for vampires.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is also very likely that Stoker, used Irish and Scottish fairies and general folklore as inspiration for his vampire. In Irish folklore you have Leanan sídhe, fairy maidens who act as a muse for an artist or a poet but drain his life-force at the same time ensuring that although he will create great art he will not live long, you also have Abhartach a tyrannical sorcerer chieftain who oppressed his people until he was killed by a hero but kept coming back until the hero consulted a druid(or a saint) who told him that he needed to kill the revenant with a yew sword and bury him under a hawthorne bush. You also have the Dearg-due which is the ghost of a woman who comitted suicide after a forced marriage and rises from the grave each year to seduce men and drink their blood. In Scottish folklore you have Glaistigs, which are faunbabes who lure unsuspecting men into their arms with their beauty and charms and then kill them and drink their blood. Baobhan sith are basically the same thing.

The vampire as a sueve nobleman had already been established in John Polidori's The Vampyre almost 80 years before Dracula came out but the titular vampire, Lord Ruthven, owed more to Byronic heroes, and Byron himself, than to actual vampire folklore.

So the vampire as we know it is a combination of South-Slavic, Irish, and Scottish folklore with the Byronic hero.

So you know there is a sort of connection between elves and vampires.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Would Cast Away have received more Academy Award nominations if it was a sequel to Forrest Gump?

Or maybe an Orc friend on the island.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jay Wilson's rotting head as the buddy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zogo posted:

Would Cast Away have received more Academy Award nominations if it was a sequel to Forrest Gump?

Or maybe an Orc friend on the island.

In the Forrest Gump book, Forrest does have an island adventure.

He and a specially trained orangutan are sent off into space with regular NASA astronauts, crash into the Pacific, and are picked up by cannibal pygmies. Their chief was educated at Harvard during WW2, and he's obsessed with chess, but has nobody to play with. Forrest has to play chess with him every day. If Forrest loses, he, the orangutan, and the one surviving astronaut, will all be eaten by the tribesmen. Turns out, though, that idiot-savant Forrest has a latent skill for the game. Forrest and his buddies live with the cannibal pygmies for some years.

Forrest Gump is a loving crazy book and the movie has almost nothing to do with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was reading this article the other day, and it's been a few years since I've last seen Glengarry Glen Ross, but when Alec Baldwin gives his speech is Roma included in the "First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado, second place is a set of steak knives, third place is you're fired" competition or is he exempt since he's making good sales? I assumed the former and that two people were set to be fired (and it was a foregone conclusion that Roma would win), but the article makes it sound like the latter.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Power of Pecota posted:

I was reading this article the other day, and it's been a few years since I've last seen Glengarry Glen Ross, but when Alec Baldwin gives his speech is Roma included in the "First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado, second place is a set of steak knives, third place is you're fired" competition or is he exempt since he's making good sales? I assumed the former and that two people were set to be fired (and it was a foregone conclusion that Roma would win), but the article makes it sound like the latter.
No, he's included, but he has a commanding lead in the sales figures so everyone assumes he will get one of the spots. From skimming through the article I'm not sure where you're getting the implication that he's exempt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

david_a posted:

No, he's included, but he has a commanding lead in the sales figures so everyone assumes he will get one of the spots. From skimming through the article I'm not sure where you're getting the implication that he's exempt.

I think he's comparing Romo to Al Pacino.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Skwirl posted:

I think he's comparing Romo to Al Pacino.
Huh? Is this an obscure Dallas Cowboys joke?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

david_a posted:

I think I missed the "at least" when I read the "one of these three men is losing their job" or something. vOv

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Power of Pecota posted:

Roma is definitely under the impression he's in for the Cadillac, he specifically chews out Williamson for costing him it when he blows the land sale.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I watched Batman vs Superman last night (extended version is much better btw) and when it came to the MARTHA twist they did the whole "flashback to earlier parts of the movie to explain the twist for stupid people" thing.

My question is: what is the worst example of this in cinema? I think The Number 23 took like 30 minutes to explain the twist, can't recall if it was all flashbacks though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I don't really remember if it's a "twist" or not, but the Silent Hill movie has a pretty bad part at the end where the protagonist meets the evil little girl or whatever and she carefully explains everything that happened in monologue over footage of the events being discussed.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Wasn't 88 Minutes the one where Al Pacino flashed back to an earlier scene that took place in a bar, but the flash back showed things that were taking place behind him that he couldn't possibly have seen?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Disco De Soto posted:

I watched Batman vs Superman last night (extended version is much better btw) and when it came to the MARTHA twist they did the whole "flashback to earlier parts of the movie to explain the twist for stupid people" thing.

My question is: what is the worst example of this in cinema? I think The Number 23 took like 30 minutes to explain the twist, can't recall if it was all flashbacks though.
Lucky Number Slevin is the worst example of this, IMHO. The new The Man From U.N.C.L.E also has some fairly boneheaded ones, albeit probably not as bad as BvS (which I haven't seen).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Usual Suspects?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Groundhog Day keeps flashing back to the same events, it's really annoying. And the continuity editor should have been fired, because so many things are inconsistent each time!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'll switch it up and say that The Rules of Attraction used the flashback device better than any other movie I can think of.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched Pulp Fiction the other day and it was pretty stupid John Travolta gets shot but a couple of scenes later he's sitting around eating in a diner like nothing happened. . How the heck did that get past the continuity editor?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The first Mission: Impossible does it in a clever way that confused a lot of people

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

FreudianSlippers posted:

I watched Pulp Fiction the other day and it was pretty stupid John Travolta gets shot but a couple of scenes later he's sitting around eating in a diner like nothing happened. . How the heck did that get past the continuity editor?

Is... is this a joke post?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One thing that does bug me about pulp fiction is the two different takes of the diner stickup line being used. The first was so perfect, why not use it again?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

effectual posted:

One thing that does bug me about pulp fiction is the two different takes of the diner stickup line being used. The first was so perfect, why not use it again?

Didn't they shoot the second take from the opposite angle? Can't exactly set up both cameras for the same take.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

effectual posted:

I thought this was supposed to be the point, that you're now seeing the robbery from Jules and Vince's perspective instead of Pumpkin and Honey Bunny's (I think that's their names). They're much less cool and badass in the eyes of these actual hardcore and ruthless killers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you have to watch age of ultron to watch civil war or is civil war a sequel to winter soldier

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's more of a Winter Soldier sequel. Age of Ultron isn't really needed except if you really want to know why robo-Jesus Paul Bettany and Slavic Olsen Sister are there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thanks i have a personal hatred for every avenger except captain and hulk and didnt really wanna sit through a movie of them

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Abu Dave posted:

cool thanks i have a personal hatred for every avenger except captain and hulk and didnt really wanna sit through a movie of them

Civil War still has all the Avengers, and doesn't have Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Civil War was pretty bad.

The premise was bad and the punch mans ending was bad.

Cool that they got spidey for some action stuff but otherwise just pretty boring.