Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Arsten posted:

Because you think that a consumer modem will handle anything but a home office with less than five users, that makes AT&T suck? Go spend the $150 on a useful modem and connect it to the service.

Hay guyz, I bought a Corolla and Toyota sucks because when I go offloading I lose parts of the drive train! :v:

What's lovely is they sold it to this company as a fiber business connection when they're using Arris NVGs. And the NAT table limit is a well known issue for customers they don't really mention. AT&T knew their requirements and sold it to them anyways.

Renegret posted:

Is that unreasonable? I wouldn't expect a single modem to handle that much at once.

1600 translations and call center capacity VOIP doesn't scream "small business" to me. Give it a few months and you'll probably start getting angry phone calls from them anyway once they notice the bandwidth usage.

It was unreasonable to sell it to them, yes. Terrible decision by the company but they were essentially misled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Fudge posted:

AT&T knew their requirements and sold it to them anyways.

So, AT&T was part of a bidding process? Why didn't the company ask for an SLA either during the bid or during the investigation of switching service? Why did they listen to the "Fiber" part of FTTN without understanding what that means? Did someone at the company see a flyer for cheap rates and call up an ask for those cheap rates assuming it was exactly what they used to have?

There's so many very basic company-side questions about deploying an internet connection that should have come in here which would have stopped the entire AT&T project in its tracks to make me think that it was AT&T's fault for selling their well-known lovely Small Business service. It sounds like some manager saw dollar signs and a bonus for saving money and just vigorously head-nodded his way through the purchase and now he's trying to scapegoat the vendor, no matter how terrible that vendor actually is.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Any lovely decision can have multiple parties that didn't do their due diligence. Doesn't have to be either/or. AT&T tried to enforce the contract and are now going to be forced to eat the cost of the buildout and lose a customer because what they communicated to the customer was misleading at best.

I haven't seen one of the head-nodders around for a while and he was the one who greenlit the whole thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Super Slash posted:

5:30 - Ticket resolved
"Ppppppppppppptbtbttby"

woah who let you into my ticket queue

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Our company is doing something similar right now!

I got a talking to when I only logged 5 hours for a day. I told them a few things:

1) I'm not an asshat that is going to fluff my timesheet (the implication being that everyone ELSE is)
2) We are somewhat slow right now because we did a fuckton of upgrades and everything is Just Working (for the most part)
3) I was stuck in a meeting with YOU (the accuser) for 2 hours but you haven't given me a proper place to log meeting time and specifically said you did NOT want meeting time logged against tickets

Holy poo poo, this place has gone to poo poo in the last 6-9months and I'm going to GTFO.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Sadly, they actually check who what where and when on times and require us to send a daily time report.

Google your county bar association - chances are they have a link with info on their lawyer referral service. Call the service, ask for an employee-focused labor lawyer, and pay $30 to get a half-hour or so with them. They'll draft a really nice letter advising your employers that what they are doing is 100% illegal, literally against FLSA.

They can make you report your time, but they can't dock.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'm waiting to get the actual policy in real writing before I do anything. In the meantime I guess it's time to brush off those certs, get the resume going because if my employer is going to do stupid poo poo like this, who's to say they won't come up with more hilariously illegal bullshit in the interim.

Edit: Recently they had us do an employee satisfaction survey. Said surveys also required us to fill in our full names as well.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 31, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I love when my coworker messages me asking for a login totally unrelated to the issue at hand. It's an issue with the SAN volumes...you don't need a login to ShareBrowser.

My response to him was "It's an Xsan environment, the troubleshooting on client system is exactly the same as StorNext". I didn't add "which you've been doing since you started here what the gently caress are you asking me for".

:bang: I cannot wait until I go fully over to projects and stop dealing with the other people on the support team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

:bang: I cannot wait until I go fully over to projects and stop dealing with the other people on the support team.

That will never happen

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit: Recently they had us do an employee satisfaction survey. Said surveys also required us to fill in our full names as well.

"Why are we employing what appears to be the entire BonerHitler extended family, and why are they all so unhappy?"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We use GoToAssist for remote connecting to users. Got this user to the screen to put the code in and got this gem:

"OK, there's a box called Your Name and one called Code. Which one of those do I put the code numbers you just gave me?"

"Um, the one labelled code"

"OK. What do I put in the Your Name field?"

"Your name?"

"Ah, cool."

Needless to say, his mystery problem where none of his emails were in the folder in Outlook called "Archived emails" he expected them to be in was caused by him having two identically named folders, one of which he never bothered to check.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MJP posted:

Google your county bar association - chances are they have a link with info on their lawyer referral service. Call the service, ask for an employee-focused labor lawyer, and pay $30 to get a half-hour or so with them. They'll draft a really nice letter advising your employers that what they are doing is 100% illegal, literally against FLSA.

They can make you report your time, but they can't dock.

$30 is more like 10-15 minutes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

$30 is more like 10-15 minutes.

It's going to depend on the state and the lawyer. You might even get a freebie for the first 15-30 minutes.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm waiting to get the actual policy in real writing before I do anything. In the meantime I guess it's time to brush off those certs, get the resume going because if my employer is going to do stupid poo poo like this, who's to say they won't come up with more hilariously illegal bullshit in the interim.

I suppose I'm kind of lucky(?) in that I was required to fill in an activity log of sorts everyday, I did it for like one day out of two weeks and just set an end of day ticket report to be sent out everyday. I say lucky because this is the kind of person who ignores signing off my purchase orders for weeks, so I just kinda didn't give a gently caress about reporting in and left it as is without being chased up.

This place is as mickey mouse as you can get, so a bit of an outlier.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"Hello, welcome to our company. We have spent a lot of effort hiring you and we expect you to be a professional and do the work we pay you to do without micromanagement and oppressive oversight. If it turns out you can't do that, we'll just cut you lose. This isn't a day care."

Why isn't this the standard? :[

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I had to read into your back posts to catch up on your situation but the only time I've had timesheets neurotically analyzed like this, the company laid me off a few months later, which makes me suspect financial problems at your company. Figure out a way to skate (2hr "email" sessions), keep your head down, get out ASAP

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the accounting supervisors called because she was getting a "file in use" error doing something with the GL. I took a look from the SQL end and saw her name attached to a session with that file open. Hmm. Looked a little closer and saw that the machine name was not hers.

Turns out one of her people somehow has her accounting software credentials and has been logging in as her. WHOOPS!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the accounting supervisors called because she was getting a "file in use" error doing something with the GL. I took a look from the SQL end and saw her name attached to a session with that file open. Hmm. Looked a little closer and saw that the machine name was not hers.

Turns out one of her people somehow has her accounting software credentials and has been logging in as her. WHOOPS!

You busted her! She found a way to be twice (or three times) as productive without changing what she does!

too bad new kid in accounting is getting fired for under-performing now :)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

"Hello, welcome to our company. We have spent a lot of effort hiring you and we expect you to be a professional and do the work we pay you to do without micromanagement and oppressive oversight. If it turns out you can't do that, we'll just cut you lose. This isn't a day care."

Why isn't this the standard? :[

Because common sense isn't new and fresh and doesn't get you noticed. You have to constantly invent ideas to inflict paint on achieve success with your direct reports.

How do you accidentally login as jane smith instead of courtney williams?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arsten posted:

Because common sense isn't new and fresh and doesn't get you noticed. You have to constantly invent ideas to inflict paint on achieve success with your direct reports.

How do you accidentally login as jane smith instead of courtney williams?

it wasn't an accident

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

2 Weeks ago:

:shobon: I can't remember my password, how do I get it back?
:byodame: IT will take 2 days to get it to you, they are so lazy. I need you working right now! Mine is Hunter2 now get back to work!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anyone have that picture of the stack of Dell workstations just shoved into a server rack?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stubblyhead posted:

Anyone have that picture of the stack of Dell workstations just shoved into a server rack?

I thought they were tower servers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It certainly was a tower of servers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was promised in writing to go from 75,000 a year to 80,000 a year on September 22nd of this year (I took a lower salary because they paid for my moving expenses.)

I just got that 80,000 bumped to 90,000 starting the 22nd. And it's in writing. :yotj:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

stubblyhead posted:

It certainly was a tower of servers.

Sounds computer as gently caress

mewse
May 2, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I was promised in writing to go from 75,000 a year to 80,000 a year on September 22nd of this year (I took a lower salary because they paid for my moving expenses.)

I just got that 80,000 bumped to 90,000 starting the 22nd. And it's in writing. :yotj:

Congrats!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Asked a user to take a screenshot of an intermittent error she couldn't describe, was handed this.

She printed them out from the photo machine at Kinko's.

mewse
May 2, 2006

uPen posted:

She printed them out from the photo machine at Kinko's.

Congrats!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

2 Weeks ago:

:shobon: I can't remember my password, how do I get it back?
:byodame: IT will take 2 days to get it to you, they are so lazy. I need you working right now! Mine is ******** now get back to work!

Lol did they really say the password was ********?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Renegret posted:

There's also the service provider's end of all this.

The whole reason providers can offer 100mbps to residential customers is because they never actually use it. The second that node starts getting contention, somebody is going to look at it, find a single bandwidth hog, then invoke some fine print in the terms of service and throttle your service to hell and back.

e: I'm just speaking generally because I know next to nothing about AT&T specifically

This is certainly not the case with cable companies in my neck of the woods. I'm paying $60 a month for 50mbps cable service and getting drat close to 100mbps last time I checked it. What's more, both cable companies that serve my area (CableOne and Midcontinent) are spending money on infrastructure for gigabit residential service. That just makes the fact that we're paying over $100 a month for 10/2 fiber at work seem a bit dumb, especially since we don't have a reason to care about 99.999% uptime or SLAs. We're a museum, we don't grind to a halt and lose big $$ if the internet happens to be down.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:shepicide: WELP I DUN GOOFED Y'ALL :shepicide:

I am currently hiding from the entire academic office staff because they're sharpening their pitchforks and oiling up the torches.

Our emergency contact robocall system was in dire need of cleaning up, so I decided to burn it to the earth and start from scratch. Finagled a few .csv files and imported them and it wasn't more than an hour before I had a nice, clean, freshly created and organized system. Part of the setup process is setting up a text messaging opt-in call, so I scheduled it run from 2-5 and let it go.

Suddenly, I am being assaulted by texts and emails from the principal. Why will her phone not quit ringing? Why are parents calling her and asking why she called them? What the hell am I doing over here?

Whoopsie. When the system was set up, her office number was used as the outgoing number. So now hundreds of parents are receiving calls from her office and wondering why the school is calling them and what's wrong with their child. They are being inundated with calls from concerned, annoyed, and downright angry parents.

CYA mode has been engaged. I simply forwarded her the email exchange between the director and I where I warned him if I cleaned the system that everyone would receive an opt-in call and he said that was a good thing and to go ahead and do it.

Now I'm chilling in the server room refocusing security cameras until it's time to go home.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow, owned.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stubblyhead posted:

The one with the Tetris UI and scores next to it please

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'd like to imagine your avatar is literally you as you hoof it to your truck in the lot after work today.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

larchesdanrew posted:

I am currently hiding from the entire academic office staff because they're sharpening their pitchforks and oiling up the torches.

Our emergency contact robocall system was in dire need of cleaning up, so I decided to burn it to the earth and start from scratch. Finagled a few .csv files and imported them and it wasn't more than an hour before I had a nice, clean, freshly created and organized system. Part of the setup process is setting up a text messaging opt-in call, so I scheduled it run from 2-5 and let it go.

Suddenly, I am being assaulted by texts and emails from the principal. Why will her phone not quit ringing? Why are parents calling her and asking why she called them? What the hell am I doing over here?

Whoopsie. When the system was set up, her office number was used as the outgoing number. So now hundreds of parents are receiving calls from her office and wondering why the school is calling them and what's wrong with their child. They are being inundated with calls from concerned, annoyed, and downright angry parents.

CYA mode has been engaged. I simply forwarded her the email exchange between the director and I where I warned him if I cleaned the system that everyone would receive an opt-in call and he said that was a good thing and to go ahead and do it.

Now I'm chilling in the server room refocusing security cameras until it's time to go home.

CYA nothing hombre where the gently caress is your testing and validation plan? You're also failing to mitigate the situation. And do you work for that director? I'd salt the earth where you're standing with your crushed up bones if I was him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You either die a technician or live long enough to see yourself become chief engineer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm gonna guess that the school doesn't have a Dev or QA environment to test in.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I was joking. Why are you hiding in a closet over the fact that you essentially annoyed some people haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

"Is mah snowflake ok? Are the Muslims attacking? Blame Obama Vote Trump" - angry parent

• Locked thread