Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Do McCastles count?
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8175636,-77.1906328,3a,75y,323.93h,96.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW6mmobGW6iv8O2jdUxbD0g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My friend used to live down the street from this lovely display of feudal elegance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
+ For a bridge and drive through tunnel
+ For matching windows
- For pointless height on the turrets
- Lack of moat

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tacopocalypse posted:

My friend used to live down the street from this lovely display of feudal elegance.
The worst part is those little turret things at the driveway entrance. The distortion from merging the streetview photos isn't helping.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Manslaughter posted:

I'm the geometrically aligned boulders in the yard

Those are probably only there to deter teenagers from doing 8s in the front yard or trucks from cutting across it, etc. Corner houses in my folks' neighborhood almost all have some kind of rock assemblage to do just that, and if they don't, there are wheel marks all over.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good morning!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Good Old Days

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Virgin Mary appeared to me in this... pipe cover? I think it's an old vent pipe for a latrine.

peanut fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Modern rental units.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Unfortunately this style is more common. :japan:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Manslaughter posted:

I'm the geometrically aligned boulders in the yard

I'm the huge, featureless front yard, empty in defiance of the craziness across the street.

If they hadn't set the house so far back they would have a much better backyard and the front door would only need a short sidewalk to the street. Are front doors that obviously will never serve as the real main entrance a fad that we've passed?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

peanut posted:

Modern rental units.

Seriously, what is the upper left balcony on the right townhouse for?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's for the external unit of an air conditioner (BYO ac)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

That's for the external unit of an air conditioner (BYO ac)

Yeah both of them. The conduits going up (well, down) to them are a bit of a dead giveaway.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
A local builder in my hometown had this monstrosity created for himself, which he subsequently lost around the housing crash.

I think the current owners had it ripped out, but he originally had an above-ground pool with a deck built-up around it.

Please note the width, length, and depth of the house.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.599...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That goddamn entryway

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Once again though, I'm at least a little won over by the driveway tunnel. Why does my brain like that feature so much?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Every time I look at that house I find something new about it, but so far my favorite thing is that they when they were building the driveway, they decided to spring not just for a driveway that circles the carport, but also ends in a circular turnaround on the other side, but just said 'gently caress it' about connecting the driveway to the street. I assume the ramp was poured before everything else was built, but seriously they couldn't even bother to line up the drive to it?

It isn't obvious from the picture upthread, but the whole big section of the building to the right of the tunnel is actually a 3 car garage.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Something about that house makes me think of a church in a somewhat wealthy suburb.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think he wanted nearly as much garage space as housing (a man after my own heart) and did a pretty good job of hiding it from the front- and only the front. It could work with some trees and neighbors hiding the view from the side but it looks ridiculous on that completely open corner lot. It might be better if that pool was more like an attached continuation, adding depth to the main structure. I bet a pool ten feet from a barely-mowed field is a nightmare of flying bugs.

Also,

SynthOrange posted:

That goddamn entryway

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

A little tidbit, if you look at the side view there's a stone by the driveway with the builders last name and house number (the name is sprayed over with black paint). The new owners have since commissioned a plaque with the house number that is bolted onto and covers the entire front of the stone.

There also used to be some sort of wire sculpture on the top of the mound in front of the house.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

There also used to be some sort of wire sculpture on the top of the mound in front of the house.

Misread as "wire scripture," was hoping for neon or LED light strips formed into a Bible quote. Perhaps something about the love of money, or building houses on sand.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Once again though, I'm at least a little won over by the driveway tunnel. Why does my brain like that feature so much?

BBC crime drama directors love that poo poo. If there's an archway you can drive through on location, they'll shoot the protagonists' Ford Focus or Jaguar or whatever driving through it at least once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slugworth posted:

It's a classic architectural element from back in the days when you had a carriage-house in behind the house. Keeps the garage etc. off the facade while still giving you street access. I like it too.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Another local builder's house, this was the one he made for himself in the subdivision bearing his name:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Thurmont-MD/pmf,pf_pt/54426419_zpid/14134_rid/39.613399,-77.390389,39.611403,-77.395008_rect/17_zm/

I noticed it for sale last year when I was home shopping, I think it was listed at 550,000 at the time. Not too bad overall, but very gaudy. It is by far the largest house in the subdivision.

I got a crash course in lovely construction when my grandparents were building their retirement home in a new neighborhood full of Ryan Homes. Thankfully they designed and built it themselves, but watching the other houses go up over time was great. One of them had, no poo poo, poured out the pad for the driveway wrong so they had to cut 4ft off the end once it had dried.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Now that the McMansion blog has drawn it to my attention, I am really irritated by people making these big stupid entry towers. I am even sympathic to the idea of a big stupid tower, but if you're going to do that then at least do something with it like turn it into a crazy library with one of those rolling ladders or, I don't know, basically anything besides leaving it as a giant echo chasm that wastes space in your house.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Why do mcmansions have more bathrooms than bedrooms? Does each bedroom have a private bath plus one or two shared for company?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Who wants to poo poo the same place as the plebs?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Alereon posted:

Why do mcmansions have more bathrooms than bedrooms? Does each bedroom have a private bath plus one or two shared for company?

Exactly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How do you even incorporate a tower into your house and NOT have a method of getting to the top of it for a really cool view?

Like if all it is is a big cylinder with a ladder to a little platform you can sit on and look around, that's enough to justify the massive suck on your HVAC system it creates. How do you not do even that little bit?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Another local builder's house, this was the one he made for himself in the subdivision bearing his name:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Thurmont-MD/pmf,pf_pt/54426419_zpid/14134_rid/39.613399,-77.390389,39.611403,-77.395008_rect/17_zm/

I noticed it for sale last year when I was home shopping, I think it was listed at 550,000 at the time. Not too bad overall, but very gaudy. It is by far the largest house in the subdivision.

I got a crash course in lovely construction when my grandparents were building their retirement home in a new neighborhood full of Ryan Homes. Thankfully they designed and built it themselves, but watching the other houses go up over time was great. One of them had, no poo poo, poured out the pad for the driveway wrong so they had to cut 4ft off the end once it had dried.

This has got to be the whitest house that I've ever seen, even accounting for trying to sell it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This has got to be the whitest house that I've ever seen, even accounting for trying to sell it.

You can find the color palette they used for that house by doing a google image search for "beige".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

This is a great feature in my opinion, having lived in an awful modern ultra-cheap faux-luxury condo which had 2br 2.5ba. Both en-suite and a half downstairs. For the thread: The toilet was placed such that you couldn't open all of the cabinets in the bathroom.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You can find the color palette they used for that house by doing a google image search for "beige".

My mom has been big on comparing house listings recently, she's thinking about moving, so I showed it to her. She made it to the fourth picture (the foyer) before going "oh god gross I'm done" and walking away.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I could see the bike lock through the wall making sense in a lovely student rental, subletting individual non-lockable bedrooms to different people. But this ... there's a deadbolt and no knob, what the gently caress? OTOH, I guess they can't go for the more elegant solution of a hasp and padlock (which would provide a sort of handle to open/close the door) for fear of the housemates locking them in. Though I guess since the deadbolt obviously works and they're just worried that they don't have the only key, the key serves as the doorknob.

But a keyed exterior doorknob is the same price as (or cheaper than) the bike lock and would probably fit in the deadbolt hole. :psyduck:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If my butt touches the same toilet seat as yours, we might as well bump butts directly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

A local builder in my hometown had this monstrosity created for himself, which he subsequently lost around the housing crash.

I think the current owners had it ripped out, but he originally had an above-ground pool with a deck built-up around it.

You can compare the aerial view between Bing and Google maps to get a before & after. It is a bit disturbing to me that someone bought that house and said to themselves "You know what the problem with this house is? It doesn't have a big enough pool!".

Ashcans posted:

Every time I look at that house I find something new about it, but so far my favorite thing is that they when they were building the driveway, they decided to spring not just for a driveway that circles the carport, but also ends in a circular turnaround on the other side, but just said 'gently caress it' about connecting the driveway to the street. I assume the ramp was poured before everything else was built, but seriously they couldn't even bother to line up the drive to it?

It's a shared driveway with two other parcels, lining straight up to it may not have been an available option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

I could see the bike lock through the wall making sense in a lovely student rental, subletting individual non-lockable bedrooms to different people. But this ... there's a deadbolt and no knob, what the gently caress? OTOH, I guess they can't go for the more elegant solution of a hasp and padlock (which would provide a sort of handle to open/close the door) for fear of the housemates locking them in. Though I guess since the deadbolt obviously works and they're just worried that they don't have the only key, the key serves as the doorknob.

But a keyed exterior doorknob is the same price as (or cheaper than) the bike lock and would probably fit in the deadbolt hole. :psyduck:

Why would you have a knob on the outside of the door :confused: (Unless of course your door is shittily fitted and balanced and you have to use actual force to open it.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zhentar posted:

You can compare the aerial view between Bing and Google maps to get a before & after. It is a bit disturbing to me that someone bought that house and said to themselves "You know what the problem with this house is? It doesn't have a big enough pool!".
Oh man, thanks for this. Whoever bought it just went hog wild with the pool area, that's nuts.

Zhentar posted:

It's a shared driveway with two other parcels, lining straight up to it may not have been an available option.

Huh. Is that what the big unmowed area is? Undeveloped plots?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

You'd think that after buying a gigantic eyesore monstrosity that it would at least come with its own driveway. Somehow that just makes this even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hi construction thread! I went in my back yard today for the first time in 2 weeks and noticed this, no idea how long it's been that way:

Bonus vintage 1946ish galvanized supply line for my house:

(In less crappy construction, maybe more McMansion news, the final count was 85 yards of concrete poured at my dads house for his driveway and patio.)